Angels and Guardians Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She slid her hands down over his arms and then his hands. "Are you so sure you don't feel like playing?" Ashley placed her small fingers over the large ones of his and pressed softly against a couple of them. She didn't have any idea on what he wanted to play, but from her two notes Joe started playing a slow soft tune as she let her hands ride along on the back of his. She could feel the fine muscles in his hands working as he played the large instrument quietly, and before long she recognized the tune of an old lullaby she last heard long ago. Ashley leaned close to him, abandoning his hands and placed hers gently on his chest and back as she sang the lullaby sweetly in his ear, her volume barely above a whisper.

In the game room, the others heard the piano playing softly and they fell silent, listening. Ashley's voice was very quiet, but since she was so clear, they could hear every word. When the music stopped, Cindy choked back a couple of tears, saying that the song was the most beautiful she's heard. She said that she didn't know Ashley could sing like that.

Jill and Jasmine looked at Cindy as if she were crazy.

"What?" Cindy asked.

"You've heard her sing...haven't you?" Jasmine said.

"No, I really haven't."

"Oh, I thought you listened to 97.3."

Cindy looked at her and answered, "I haven't much lately, but yeah, I listen to them. Why?"

Jasmine shook her head not believing this. "Well, I'm sure you've heard a song called Ashley's Song."

"Yeah, they play it like every fifteen minutes. It's the only song I don't mind them playing so much...wait...Ashley's Song...her name is...oh...really?"

Jill beamed. "Yup...that's her."

"No way! I've been listening for them to say who it's by, I like it so much, but they never say. I wanted to buy a CD, if I knew who the artist was. Really? That's Ashley?" Cindy still couldn't believe it.

Jasmine glanced at Ashley's parents who also looked puzzled. "Oh, now come on! You've paid for her voice lessons, and you don't know what she can do?" They shook their heads. "Oh my God! How is that possible?"

"She'd practice in her room, and her teacher never held recitals or anything," her mom shrugged.

Jasmine shook her head. "You weren't even curious? No wonder she had issues with y'all for so long this fall." She saw their heads dip. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean that the way it came out."

They were about to tell her not to worry about it when Jill said, "Shh! She convinced him to play another."

Christmas was still almost a month away, yet they heard Joe playing a beautiful rendition of "O, Holy Night." Ashley was singing, but her voice was a bit muffled. It got stronger as they started to hear an acoustical guitar join in. The instrumental duet formed up tighter during the second stanza and Ashley's voice was expressive as she sang. The group felt drawn into the living room by the music and crowded just inside the doorway. Ashley was facing away, strumming her guitar and belting out strongly the refrain. Her style was somewhere between Mariah Carey and Celine Dion.

Ashley jumped when she heard a quiet "oh my God" behind her when she finished. Her and Joe turned around to see the five standing around the doorway, all with tears, except Mr. Roberts (who came close).

"Oh my God," Cindy repeated with her hands over her mouth.

Joe spun on the padded bench to face the group. "What is it?"

"No way...no way! I did NOT know you could sing like that, Ashley!" Cindy exclaimed. "There is no way a voice can be that perfect without studio touchup. Can you sing like that again?"

"Sing what? The same Christmas song?"

Cindy rolled her eyes. "No. I'm really curious about something. Jill and Jasmine told me you can sing Ashley's Song."

Ashley shrugged. "I wrote it...so what?"

"You're putting me on, cause you all know I love that song, aren't you?"

"No. I don't know what you're talking about."

Cindy sighed. "Would you sing it for me?"

Ashley shrugged and looked at Joe. He spun back to the keyboard and said, "yeah, sure, I guess." He started playing an intro similar in style as he had at the talent show.

Ashley popped him in the back of the head. "No way! Not with my parents here!"

Joe grinned at her. "Can't a guy have a little fun?" She shook her head without saying anything. "Fine," he said and played his ballad version of the piece.

Ashley joined the intro on her guitar and sang her song beautifully. When it ended, the group gave a solid applause. She looked at Cindy and asked, "satisfied?"

Cindy exclaimed, "No!"

"Why not?!"

"I'll be satisfied when you get recorded and sell your first album." Cindy asked, "how many times have you sung that song?"

"I've hummed it to myself thousands of times. I've only sung it out loud four...five if you count the first time I sung it to Joe in the car." Ashley unslung her guitar and handed it to Joe. She said to him, "I'm having fun. Play me another one?"

He pulled the strap over his shoulder. "Whatever makes you happy. What do you want?"

"Something a bit more upbeat," Ashley said to him.

He looked at the guitar and played a few chords at random, then grinned as he said, "I know." He started playing Taylor Swift's "Our Song." True to her comment about having fun, Ashley sang to each of the guests, dancing as she moved around the living room. Joe got into the mini concert, too, playing a string of songs for Ashley to sing as he lost his cares in the music.

Late in the night, the group decided to turn in. Jill and Jasmine left and Ashley walked out her parents and Cindy. Her parents gave her a hug and commented that she looked and sang like a million bucks.

Cindy said, "trust me, she's worth more than that."

Ashley hugged her and said, "Oh stop that!"

"I'm serious. You'd win American Idol hands down."

"That'll be the day. Besides, I don't really want that right now. I want a degree, and I want a family."

"Well, your head's in the right place, kiddo. I'll see ya tomorrow afternoon."

Ashley blew her a kiss and waved as she drove off. She sighed as she turned to her parents.

"You really are good," her mom said. "I'm sorry that we never noticed."

Ashley shrugged. "I don't sing or dance for attention. I love doing it, and if someone else enjoys it, then all the better."

"I'm glad you're home, safe," her dad said.

She glanced beyond the fence and saw the car watching the house. "Yeah, Dad. Me too. Well, I should get back in, so I'll see y'all tomorrow. Love you!"

Her parents wondered why the short goodbye, until they saw the security car on their way out. "It's gonna be a different life for her now," her dad said.

Her mom sighed, "yeah. I know."

Ashley went back inside to find Joe and Kim sitting on sofas in the den, talking. She plopped down next to Joe and asked him, "did you have fun tonight?"

"Yeah, I did. Thank you."

"You should thank Cindy. She's the one who set the dinner up with Jill."

"Yeah, but you're the one who came in when I was feeling a bit down."

Ashley gave Joe a kiss. "Eh, anytime!"

Kim came over and put her head on Ashley's shoulder. "I wish I could sing like you."

Ashley reached around her head and patted it softly. "Well, I don't think it's all that y'all are making it, but thanks."

Kim sighed softly, and Joe asked what was wrong. "I love it here. I wish I could stay forever," Kim said.

Ashley asked, "where, here? Florida or Joe's house?"

"Both! The weather is so much better here. I love the house, it's so comfortable. And, I don't have any of this up there in Minnesota."

"Not many have this anywhere," Ashley said as she gestured her hand across the room.

Kim frowned while looking up at her. "No. That's not what I meant. Yes, the house is fabulous, but what I meant was I don't have any friends up there. I had so much fun tonight, playing pool with everyone, listening to y'all play and sing, talking, even sharing grief at points. Not saying your parents dying is fun, Joe. But, if tragedies happened to or around me, large or small, I don't have anyone close by to talk to or comfort."

Joe asked Kim, "what about your cheerleader friends there?"

"I quit yesterday."

Ashley looked over in shock. "You did? Why?"

Kim's eyes got misty. "I hated it. They let me on because I could stunt. But, they were so catty and mean to each other...and me. And, I HATE tumbling in the snow. Hurts my hands like hell. Their season was ending anyway."

Joe said, "yeah, but what about the spring competitions?"

"Ugh. I don't want to imagine what they're like. I got dropped enough on the field, because I wasn't one of their clique. I'd hate to see what they'd do if I missed a turn or whatever during competition practice."

Joe thought about what she said for a bit, then said what he was thinking. "Why don't you just move back here?"

"Yeah, right. Tell my parents that they need to move back. Screw the job, lil' Kim is homesick."

Joe said, "I'm getting tired, so I'm heading to bed. But, Kim, seriously think about it. You're a senior who's been transplanted mid-stream. How's your grades?"

"Poor, accelerating rapidly to suck-ass."

"Sorry to hear that, but I'm sure you being unhappy is causing that. Consider asking your parents to let you move back down here. You'd be happy, and you're moving away to college next fall anyway."

"Yeah, but I don't have anywhere to stay. Besides, I couldn't take myself away from them this soon. It would kill them not seeing me for Christmas or Easter."

Joe got up and stretched. "Well, you could stay here. The house is emptier now, so I'd like a little more company. If you wanted, I'll give you tickets every weekend to see your parents."

Kim was warming up to the idea, but not convinced. "Where exactly would I stay? The guest room at the far end of the hall?"

"No, you could stay in Ashley's room."

"Oh, since she'll be sleeping with you. Yeah that would work, I guess."

Joe started for the stairs. "She won't be sleeping with me all that often...I kick her too much. Good night," he said as he grinned at Ashley and climbed the stairs.

Ashley flashed a smile at Kim. "That's true, he does kick a lot in his sleep."

"So where would you be?"

"My room...I'll let you be while you figure it out. I'm gonna say good night to Joe." Ashley climbed the stairs and stepped into Joe's room.

She spent a few minutes talking with Joe, fending off his thousandth thank you for being with him. "Look, Joe. You needed me beside you, and I needed to be with you. It's what I do." She kissed him good night and stepped through the bathroom to her room.

Ashley was undressing and jumped when Kim said, "you made quick work of him."

"Oh, damn you!" Ashley exclaimed. "I didn't know you were already in my bed. You scared me half to death!" She climbed in next to Kim. "We didn't do anything, if you must know."

Kim trailed a finger down Ashley's shoulder. "Disappointed?" she asked.

Ashley turned her head to her. "No. Not really. We don't always have to have sex to be happy with each other. Besides, it just wouldn't feel right tonight, you know?"

Kim nodded slowly and put her head on Ashley's naked chest. "Yeah," she sighed. "I'm going to miss them."

Ashley draped her arms around her friend. "I know. I already do."

Since everyone else had work or school, Joe, Ashley, and Kim were bumming around the house. Joe was lost in an XBOX game, while Kim watched Ashley play WOW on her laptop. "You're such a nerd," she said as she watched Ashley converse with some of her guild friends.

"Oh, just hush," Ashley said when she reached behind her and slapped Kim's knee. "I haven't been on since the accident a couple of months back." She was greeted with several more "welcome backs" before being invited to run an instance. Her character got teleported to the meeting stone and she switched into her healing gear and spec. After the first couple of pulls, she explained to Kim that she was in charge of keeping the group's health up, but every time she casts a spell to do so, the bad guys see her as a threat, so she had to be mindful of not overdoing it.

Kim laughed, "see? You ARE a nerd!" She watched as Ashley helped with the first boss fight, letting no one get below half health. Kim saw the chat screen light up with praise for Ashley's character after the fight. "Huh, you're pretty good, I guess."

Ashley smiled. "I suppose. I had to be, because the tank sucks. He's not keeping the threat on him."

"Whatever," Kim said, not understanding. However, she patiently watched as Ashley's group wandered the maze, killing and looting everything in the way.

The group wanted to run again, hoping for a random drop they were looking for, but Ashley declined, typing "Just on to check in, guys. Thanks for the run." She signed out and closed the laptop.

They heard the side door open downstairs and went down to see who it was. Cindy said hello to them and said she needed to go over some business with Joe. While she went to the den to see Joe, Kim and Ashley grabbed a couple of sandwiches and sat at the breakfast bar to eat.

"Have you thought about Joe's offer?" Ashley asked.

"Yeah, but I don't know what to think."

"What do you mean?"

"Well," Kim said between bites. "It's so tempting, but I'd have to re-enroll in school. I'm not even sure Catholic would accept me. Also, my parents would flip out, they're expecting me to leave late summer for college, but not this soon."

Ashley nodded. "I'm sure Sister K would let you back. We haven't had any new classmates since you left, and Joe would be glad to pay your tuition, if that's what you're worried about."

"Okay, but then that leaves you."

"Huh?"

Kim mocked, "Huh? Did you grow up on a farm?"

"Excuse me if I want to be lazy for a day."

Kim laughed, "Okay, okay. What I was saying is how would you feel with me being here? All the time. You obviously know Joe and I's history. That was clear when we got off on the wrong foot two weeks ago. Could you take it that I'm around him so much?"

"Do I have anything to be worried about if you do move here?"

Kim thought hard about it. Finally she said, "no. Nothing. I couldn't do that to you. Or Joe."

"Then, I'll trust you, Kim. I've thought about that, too, and I decided that you could be trusted. But, if you do anything to steal him away from me, so help me God, the friendship would be over, because I'll kill you."

Kim laughed. "That I believe." They both laughed for a while, then Kim said, "Can I at least flirt with him?"

Ashley got a serious look on her face and answered, "maybe just a little." Then she burst out laughing to show she was kidding.

Cindy announced herself to Joe, "hi Joe, I'm sorry, but work calls." He nodded and turned the game off. She sat on the couch next to him and briefed him on some projects going on and the approval requests that were submitted to her this morning. She explained each one, and he accepted a couple, and rejected the rest. They continued the meeting for a couple of hours, with Cindy working to give Joe the "Cliff's Notes" version of where the company stood. At the end of the meeting, she relayed that the security team reported that all seven that he fired collected their items without incident. Also, they were keeping the distant bodyguards on both Joe and Ashley.

"Is there a threat?" Joe asked.

Cindy said that there could be, as Denver police are reporting to the security team their findings. "It doesn't look like just an accident at this point, Joe." He nodded and asked that Ashley not be told until the final report comes out. Cindy nodded, then excused herself to return to the office and put what they discussed in motion. She told him she would see him in a few hours.

Faith Chapel North was chosen for the wake, as that location had the largest room available in their area. Joe, Ashley, and Kim met Cindy there at four. This allowed time for Joe to spend some time saying goodbye to his parents alone. At 4:30, Ashley walked up to Joe slowly and knelt with him at his mom's casket, while Cindy and Kim took seats several rows back. He was expressionless as he stared at the lifeless body on display. Ashley asked softly if he was okay, and he answered with a sigh that he was. She put his arm around him and said that it was time for the rosary. He nodded and asked her if she wanted to say goodbye herself first. She stood up and moved between the two wooden vessels and said quietly, "Mr. and Mrs. Smith, I wish I could have thanked you more for your kindness to me and my friends, even though I know I said it to you like a hundred times." She sniffed, "I hope you two have a peaceful rest and that I'll see you again in heaven."

Joe stood behind her and kissed the top of her head, saying, "ditto for me, Mom and Dad." Ashley turned in his chest and buried her face there, crying softly for a few seconds. Cindy came up with some tissues for her, and Ashley accepted them with a sad smile.

The priest came in and led the four of them in praying a decade of the rosary, a series of prayers that his grandmother always liked. When done, Joe indicated that Kim and Cindy could say goodbye, if they wished. They did together, separating to kneel at both caskets. After a couple of minutes, they switched and repeated their silent goodbyes. When they were finished, they stood and hugged each other, then went over to hug Ashley and Joe. They took up seats in the second row, and Joe stood and motioned to the funeral director to open the doors.

The first ones through were the rest of the Angels, with Jill and Jasmine in the lead. Ashley stood to greet and hug them along with Joe. She remained standing as her friends filed away to say their goodbyes, and greeted several more people who followed and said hello to Joe. Before long, though, the stress and the emotional weight that Ashley carried became too much, and she sat in the pew. Jasmine and Kim leaned forward to ask if she was okay, and she responded that she was alright, but couldn't take standing for very long. She asked if they would join her in the front pew. The two did and sat on either side of their friend, squeezing her hands in support, the three burning through a box of tissues stationed nearby. Joe, on the other hand, was a robot, stoically thanking each offer of sympathy. Occasionally, Ashley would get up to greet people she knew, specifically Sister Kate, their coaches, and several classmates and their parents. She received a long hug and kiss from her own mom and dad. After a while, the long line of the Smiths' coworkers, friends of the family, business leaders, and a few very distant relatives came to an end, and small groups formed to catch each other up with their lives. Joe made rounds to several of the groups and talked with them, while Ashley stayed near her friends and parents.

The Roberts decided to leave after a couple of hours and said goodbye to the group, then went off to find Joe and wish him a good night. Ashley noticed Jill and Sally fidgeting and mentioned that there was a smoking deck out back. Sally uttered an "oh, thank God" and stood up. Jill shot her a scolding look for the insensitivity, but got up as well. Ashley went over to Joe and whispered in his ear where they were going. He nodded and said he'd join them in a bit.

The air was crisp outside, but Ashley and the others welcomed it, as the viewing room was getting stuffy with the number of people there. Jill and Sally lit up their slender white sticks without comment from the others. Kim excused herself to call her parents, and walked out onto the lawn behind the building. Allison checked her watch and said, "holy crap, it's after seven. Sally, can we go after you finish? I gotta be home soon to study for my test tomorrow." Sally nodded and the group talked for a few minutes while her and Jill finished their cigarettes. Sally, Allison, and Marybeth said their goodbyes and gave Ashley long hugs. They called out to Kim that they would see her tomorrow. She was still strolling slowly and talking with her mom, but smiled and flashed an ok sign to them.