Apocalypse Wow, Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So... ah... what... I mean, is there anything specific...?" I said, letting go of her hand.

"Oh... well.. I mean, you'll see, in my room," she'd drawn me a map of the inside of the house as well, so I'd know which room was hers, "just like, whatever's in the closet, you know, tops and jeans and whatever. I mean, you don't need to get lots of stuff... there's a backpack I use for hiking so you can carry... like... whatever... and then, well... underwear!" I use an exclamation point here not to imply that she shouted that last word, actually she kind of whispered it, but the way she said it left me in no doubt that this was the most important thing to her.

So we laughed a little about this and I said something about doing my best or whatever and I was about to get up, but she had that 'one more thing' look again.

"Ahm... there's... ah... it's kind of embarrassing," she said, and she was definitely blushing which made me a little nervous. I mean, this is the girl who asked me, without a hint of embarrassment, how I made my girlfriend cum so often!

"It's OK Chloe," I said, "come on, you don't need to be embarrassed with us." I don't know if you noticed, I said 'us' here at the end, not 'me'. I think I'd been doing it for a while, but it was the first time I was conscious that I'd kind of stopped thinking of myself and Simone as separate entities, you know? Everything was 'us' now. 'My' didn't matter anymore.

"I know... it's just... well...," she looked at me pretty hard and, actually, I did see her embarrassment clearing away, "in the locker beside my bed, I mean, if you think of it, could you get my vibrator?"

So maybe she'd stopped blushing, but damn, was it my turn! Sure, we'd gotten to know Chloe pretty well and she and I had had some pretty... intimate conversations, I guess, but this was... well...

"Oh... yeah..." I said, "of course, sure... no problem." This was definitely preferable to getting drawn into thoughts about the implications of what she'd just asked.

"Thanks Jim," she said. We were both standing now and she hugged me. I was probably a little hesitant at first but then, I am a serious hugger, right? I have a reputation to uphold.

"No problem Chlo," I said, "I'll do my best OK?" Chlo was a thing that had started about day two of her time in the house, by the way.

Anyway, the end of my conversation with Chloe also meant I had to decide whether to tell Simone about Chloe's request. Now, even at that point, being dishonest with Simone was not something I was able to consider, like even the thought of knowing something and not telling her practically brought me out in a rash, you know? But... at the same time, was it really a good idea to tell her something that might not even matter and would just make her worry?

I mean, if I did manage a successful trip to Chloe's house, there'd be no hiding it and I'd have to deal with the consequences of keeping it from her and if I didn't, well, I'd have to deal with the guilt of having kept it from her anyway. Or if it went bad... well, that didn't bear thinking about.

Anyway, I told her. Of course I did. We were lying in bed that night. I'd be making the run the next morning. She didn't say anything for a long time. It was dark, obviously, and I couldn't see her. I was laying on my back and she was kind of cuddled up beside me, her head tucked into my shoulder.

"Are you OK with this?" I asked eventually and heard her sigh heavily before I felt her move, to bring her head towards mine.

"Honestly, no," she said. "Of course I'm not Jim. I'll never be OK with anything that puts you in danger but, I know you want to do this for her... to do something that'll make her feel better, make her more comfortable... I mean, I know what kind of man you are Jim. And I love you for it. So I trust you, I trust you to make the call. If you only did things that didn't make me worry about you, you'd never leave this house again... and... well... that's not going to work, is it?"

Even in the darkness, her face was so close to mine when she said that I could see it clearly, see her eyes fixed on mine. I loved her so fucking much. But there was no need for any more words.

She kissed me softly, just for a moment, and then she rested her head on my chest and wrapped her arms around me. I don't think she got much sleep that night.

Although we hadn't talked about it, I was a little worried Simone might be, I don't know, upset with Chloe for even asking me about making the trip to her house. But, of course, this was pretty stupid on my part. Simone just wasn't capable of that kind of enmity.

So as I made my way down the drive in my parents' SUV the next morning, they both waved me off, arms around each other. It feels kind of weird now thinking about that moment, looking in the rear view mirror. I mean, obviously, I had no way of knowing at that point that... well... that things would never be the same again between the three of us.

I'm sorry about that last sentence by the way... I've tried to avoid saying shit like that... but, well... sometimes things just hit you, you know?

Anyway, the drive to the lumbar yard was totally uneventful, no sign of anyone or anything. And when I got there, it looked exactly as it had when I'd left it, I mean as far as I could tell. I guess I kind of looked around for any sign that something had changed, some evidence that someone or something had been there since I last had but, nothing.

I was a little quicker getting out of the car this time, a little less terrified. I managed to avoid the 70s cop show stance, although I did have the revolver in my hand. But, I don't know, as I walked across the gravel for the door of the office building, heard it crunch under my feet, I felt... confident or something. I don't know if that seems weird to you but it kind of felt strange in the moment. Like, maybe I was starting to come to terms with the fact that... that this was the world now, you know?

It probably helped that there were no asshole birds this time. Remember that shithead? Yeah.

Anyway, Chloe had suggested like three or four places the laptop we needed could be, in order of likelihood, but it only took one for me to find it. Right where she'd said it would be, the first place I looked. And the fucking same logo as the turbine and all the other gear was stuck on the front of it. I swear to god. And not only that, there was a whole box with the same logo sitting on the floor next to the desk where I found the laptop, conveniently labelled: 'Installation and Maintenance Manual'. I mean, I was pretty conscious of being quiet, but I think I still laughed out loud.

So I was in and out - with more than I'd come for - in, like, 5 minutes. Less. So what do you think I did next, huh?

Of course I fucking went to her house.

I mean, everything had gone perfectly. No signs or sounds of danger. Confidence high. And it was two miles. Two more little fucking miles. And it would make her so fucking happy.

Of course I thought about Simone. But I knew that she had grown just as close to Chloe as I had, closer even, and that it would make her feel just as good as it would make me feel to see some simple joy come into Chloe's life.

So, yeah, of course I fucking went.

Now, I don't know, maybe because I'd been to the lumber yard before, that's why I felt so confident when I got there. Obviously then, with a new place, I did feel pretty on edge as I pulled up to it. The two miles were a breeze, didn't see anything but the road and the trees.

The house actually fronted almost right onto the road, there was no fence or hedging or anything so I was able to pull more or less right up to the front door. I turned around before I did though, left the car facing the right direction for a quick getaway if needed.

I hadn't talked it over with Simone or anything, but I had a clear plan as I tried the door. Chloe had said I should find it locked and it was, but the spare key was where she said it would be, under a rock right beside it. And then I checked every room. I knew I was there for one specifically, but I didn't want any surprises while I was rummaging through Chloe's underwear.

Chloe had said there had been no one at home on the first day. She and her dad were at the yard, her mom was away on some trip with her girlfriends and her older brother and sister were both in California, at college. So I didn't find anyone. It was the first place I'd been outside our house that didn't reek of death. And there were no signs of violence or destruction or anything. The whole place was totally undisturbed.

I was pretty thorough, I have to say, so it took maybe ten minutes to check the house, every room, before I went into Chloe's bedroom.

She'd described it in so much detail, it almost felt familiar when I walked inside and everything was exactly where she said it would be, vibrator and all. I stuffed her backpack as full as I could manage pretty fast, rolling stuff up so I could fit as much as possible in.

I think I was probably feeling pretty pleased with myself making my way back down the stairs. And just before I reached the front door, I noticed some family photos on a table in the hallway.

I haven't spent much time here talking about... family. It's not that we didn't think about our families, or talk about them, we did... of course we did... a lot actually. And sure, it was nice sometimes to tell each other stories, share happy memories of our families before the First Day but... there was no getting back the fact that... that all of our families were probably dead. So those were hard memories. Hard conversations. I mean, I was in my parents house so at least there were plenty of reminders of them, you know? But Simone and Chloe had nothing, only what was in their minds. If we got the electricity up and running fully they could charge their phones and probably had photos on them... you know? Still, it only took a second for me to pick up one of the pictures and bring it with me. It was kind of automatic, even though I hadn't planned it in advance.

I'd left the car door open so once I was outside, I made straight for it. Maybe that was foolish, maybe I should have taken a second to look around. Maybe I would have seen it.

Anyway, I threw the backpack and the photo across the driver's seat to the passenger side and was about to follow them when I thought I saw movement in the back seat. I'd put the gun in my pocket so straight away I stepped back from the car and reached for it - panic mode, you know? Honestly, I think this probably helped me survive. The adrenaline was already pumping.

I think I still had my hand in my pocket when it hit me. Honestly, I don't know how I didn't see it or hear it coming at me. It must have moved seriously fucking fast and, I don't know, I guess maybe I'd looked down towards my pocket or something when I was reaching for the gun.

Anyway, my mind and my body had no frame of reference for the impact. I'd never been hit that hard before and there was no single point of impact, the red-eye just slammed into me with it's whole body. I guess I was lucky that it didn't hit its head against mine or... well, that really could have been lights out.

So, I'd been standing at the driver's door, with the door open, and the red-eye had come from my right side. It had run completely parallel to the car so the impact kind of slammed me against the open car door and then I... I guess both of us bounced back off it and fell to the ground.

The force of the impact had totally fucked the door, but I didn't notice that till later. I mean, I guess I was in shock or whatever cause it should have hurt like hell, but I don't really think I felt any pain, not then anyway. It'd definitely knocked the breath out of me though and I remember gasping when I tried to get up.

My first thought was for the gun. I'd been reaching for it when it hit me but I didn't have it anymore and I think I was looking around for it when the fucking red-eye came at me again. I saw it coming this time but... it was just fucking... relentless. It kind of grabbed me this time and we both fell to the ground again. And for the first time I was conscious of its... features... like, the red fucking eyes. Jesus. I mean, I'd seen red-eyes on the TV and on the road on the first day but I'd never been this close. Its face was almost pressed against mine.

My arms and legs were struggling against it and it kept trying to grab at me. It was drooling or whatever, but it seemed like it was blood instead of saliva coming out of its mouth and it was dripping on my face and it was kind of... snarling I guess? Grunting maybe? Fucking animal sounds, one way or another. I mean, it looked like a person, was shaped like a person, but it felt like being attacked by an animal.

Anyway, in the midst of this struggle on the ground, I guess we got turned to the side for a second because I saw the gun where I must have dropped it, right beside the car. I was pretty focused on using all my strength to stop this fucking thing from... like... eating me or whatever, but I knew I had to get the gun. I knew I would die if I didn't.

I managed to kind of bring my knee up a little and tried to force the red-eye off me, to give me a chance to grab for the gun. I didn't seem to have any effect for a few seconds but then, I don't know, I guess it tried to adjust its grip or whatever and I was able to heave against it with my knees again and force it off me.

It kind of stumbled backward a little, on its feet, and the instant I felt its weight off me I moved for the gun. I had to move my whole body to get it, it was out of reach of my arm, so I kind of rolled towards it. I grabbed it in my right hand as I rolled to my front and kept rolling. As soon as I'd rolled right over, I brought my hand up and squeezed the trigger.

So it was a fucking miracle that I hit it. Like, fucking unbelievable. Square in the chest. It probably helped that it was about two feet away from me at that point.

It kind of stumbled back again a little but I think that was more from the force of the impact of the bullet than any damage cause it was pretty instantly moving towards me again.

So I kept firing. I knew, somehow, that I had five rounds left... I fired four times, aiming for the body and with each impact it stumbled back a little but it didn't go down or really seem to be affected at all. The only thing I could think of was to shoot it in the head, but I also knew the head was a much smaller target and there was a really good chance I'd miss but... I didn't see any other choice.

Well... for... an instant... just an instant, I did consider... you know... one other choice. I mean... I really didn't want to get eaten alive. But... well... I don't know if you'll believe this but... just as the thought of saving that last bullet for myself was passing through my head... I saw Simone. Like... she was standing there, beside me. She didn't speak or anything... but... I knew I had to make it back to her. No matter what.

So I fired again. Right between that fucker's red eyes. Its head sort of snapped back with the impact and there was an instant of panic when I thought it was just going to keep coming but then its body just sort of... crumpled.

And then very suddenly, there was no sound. I mean, I'd just fired off a gun six times pretty close to my head so maybe my ears were fucked but... there was this weird, eery silence and then, just as quickly a kind of rush of noise and I was aware that I was gasping for breath. I mean, I was in pretty good shape but I guess fighting for your life will do that to you.

I jumped into the car and finally noticed the fucked door. The initial impact had kind of bent it backwards and it took a lot of force for me to get it somewhere near closed. I turned the key and jammed my foot to the floor.

I think it was about a mile before I had the courage to look in the rear view mirror. I mean... how the fuck did I know whether there was one of those things or a hundred?

I couldn't see anything out of the rear window but my eye was drawn to something on the back seat. I was sure there had been nothing there before. And then I very nearly ran right off the road. I'm pretty sure I screamed. I mean, at first, obviously, I thought it was... one of them, you know?. But it wasn't. There was a fucking dog, curled up tight in terror, on the back seat. Honest to god, a dog. A border collie to be specific.

"Fuck... " I said, out loud, "where the fuck did you come from?" I was talking to the dog. I mean, that's what you do right? Anyway, the dog didn't answer, or move. I could see that he was shaking in fear and he stayed curled up tightly. I had no intention of stopping or slowing down to check him out properly.

We had just about reached the lumber yard again when I realized I had a new problem. I mean, I guess at first I assumed it was adrenaline or something, shock, you know? But I had a pretty sudden violent headache. And my mind went instantly back to what Chloe had said about the first thing that happened to people before they... changed... the sudden terrible headache?

And then I thought about the struggle on the ground with the red-eye... its bloody saliva dripping on my face. Had it got in my mouth? And then I saw blood on my arm. I tried to wipe it away but... I was bleeding. And there were marks on my arm. Had the fucker bit me?

The headache kind of eased off after a few seconds but I started to get... foggy. I guess it kind of felt like I was drunk.

"How you doin' there pal?" I said to the dog. "I gotta tell ya, I ain't feelin' too hot myself right now."

Like I said, I was drunk. Or I felt like I was. But I was still able to be fucking scared out of my mind. Was it happening to me? Was I changing? Was I going to become one of them? If I kept going back to the house, would I be putting Simone and Chloe in danger?

I don't think I could have stopped if I wanted. My arms and legs started to feel numb. Actually stiff might be more accurate. I mean my hands were still on the wheel but I didn't feel like I could move them, or at least it took a lot of effort to move them.

By the time I got to the turn for the house, I was feeling kind of... giddy, you know? That stage of drunkenness where everything seems really funny and you just smile stupidly all the time?

I managed to turn the wheel to make the turn, although I don't think I slowed down at all so it was a pretty rough one. I don't think the dog liked it very much.

It's around a mile from the turn, up the drive to the house and I spent most of this time figuring out how I was going to stop. It was like my legs wouldn't obey the commands my brain was sending them so it took all the concentration I could muster to move my foot from the gas to the brake. I guess I was still going pretty fast and I could see that Simone and Chloe had come out of the house when I finally managed to get my foot over and push it down hard. I heard the dog sort of yelp as it got thrown around the back. I clawed the car into park and kind of fell back against the seat.

"Well this is it dog," I said, "what do you think of the old place?" I mean, I think that's what I said. I may have been slurring.

Cause I was fucking flaming drunk by now. I could see Simone and Chloe running up to the car. I knew they were saying something but I couldn't make out anything specific.

"Oh, hey girls," I said and kind of waved out at them, "I'm back."

I'm not sure if I tried to open the door but, well, it opened. Simone told me later it took her and Chloe pulling as hard as they could to get it open. I kind of fell out of the car and the dog came right out after me and jumped right into Chloe's arms.

Anyway, they were definitely both talking to me, but I had no idea what they were saying. I have a pretty vague memory of them picking me up and bringing me up the steps to the house and throwing me down on the couch. Simone told me later she hit me about as hard as she could across the face in an effort to get through to me. I guess it worked a little and the fog cleared for a few seconds.