Apocalypse Wow, Pt. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

And I want to tell you that we lived happily ever after... that Simone and I grew old together. I wish I could tell you that more than anything... anything.

She noticed a lump on her breast. It's a pretty terrifying moment for any woman but she was so calm about it. Obviously we didn't know for sure, but Caroline thought it was cancer. Our lab capability by then wasn't what it had been, without fresh supplies, and without comprehensive tests there was no way to be totally sure but... Anyway, Caroline could remove the lump but, that was all she could do. She was OK for a while but... yeah... we knew what it was for sure before too long.

She died, early one summer's morning, in my arms, with her children by her side. It was nearly fifteen years to the day since the First Day.

I guess I was never really the same after that. There's an old saying that it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all? Man... I don't know. Nearly twenty years have gone by since she passed and there are still days when the pain of being without her is so much that I wish never met her. It's odd... almost everyone in the world died on the First Day or shortly after but it didn't affect me nearly as much as when we lost Simone, who I'd only met on the First Day.

Someone had got word to Chloe when we knew Simone was near the end but she didn't make it in time. She was in The Glen by then, they'd just joined the Network and she and Lola were helping them improve their power and water infrastructure. But I think... I think if she hadn't come... if she hadn't... talked some sense into me I might have... I mean apart from the kids, I might have really retreated into myself... I guess a little like I have these last couple of years. Whenever I tried to picture life without Simone... well...

But even by then, our Community was nearly sixty strong, with more on the way. We'd completed Lola's master plan, expanded the house to something like seven or eight times it's original size. And we had the Network. We shared supplies and traded with five other communities by then that were going strong, just like we were. So Chloe made it clear that I had responsibilities that went far beyond just looking after the kids, and it wasn't as if I had to do that on my own anyhow. And she reminded me in typically forthright Chloe fashion that Simone wouldn't have thought much of me... not doing my part I guess.

Of course she was right. Still, life has never been the same for me without Simone here with me. Even now, talking to you about her... well... I guess you can see how hard it is for me.

When we finally outgrew the house here, even with all the additions we'd made to it over the years and the Community moved more or less lock, stock and barrel into what had once been Old Sal, they decided to rename the town after her. It wasn't my idea... I mean, I certainly agreed we needed a new name for a new community but... I wasn't sure how I'd feel about seeing her name up there on the signs, you know? Every day.

And I guess sometimes, if I'm having one of those days, it is hard. But... most of the time? Most of the time it reminds me that... that all of this, everything we have, all the lives she saved and all the lives that exist today because of the ones she saved, that all of this is just about the best damn legacy anyone could have. I wish I could have had a lot more years with her, but jesus christ, did my wife live a full life or what? I'm so... I'm so fucking proud of her.........

*A...are you... OK?

You know Dani, I'm pretty fucking proud of you too, you know that right?

*Dad...

I love you sweetheart.

*I love you too daddy.