All Comments on 'Arbitrary'

by NoTalentHack

Sort by:
  • 192 Comments
truthandjustice99truthandjustice99over 1 year ago

So wife wants to cheat but slimy husband beats her to it Both are worthless I give it a 1

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well told story, but somewhere along the way he owed his wife the unvarnished truth. No mixing metaphors, no hinting at possible outcomes and no mumbling into his glass. He should have said to her that if she went down her path that he WOULD divorce her. At least in that way she would fully understand the consequences of her actions. I also thought it was unwise of him to go first. Oh well, actions have consequences and she sure got hers.

lujon2019lujon2019over 1 year ago

So to recap, he left one woman who did not fuck around on him to go back to a woman who did

Bebop3Bebop3over 1 year ago

Another excellent story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well written as usual but I'm sorry, I can't bring myself to like this story in any capacity.

ReadyOneReadyOneover 1 year ago

Damn good story expressing all of the reasons for monogamy and accepting the limits of vows to express love for your partner.

KarnevilKarnevilover 1 year ago

A sordid tale about three detestable people, each acting, no not acting, but living as complete arseholes. Two total sluts: one intent on destroying her marriage, the other not giving a toss who she hurts. Then a husband who just needs any excuse to jump into bed with his 'best friend'

Well written, but to enjoy a story the reader needs to sympathise with at least one character. I just wanted to bury all three in a big hole, then have a shower to wash away the contamination.

swedishreader1swedishreader1over 1 year ago

Well written but as original as water.

It's been done to death .........on a corpse that died years ago.

servant111servant111over 1 year ago

Nother good one

5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

afanoffanlitafanoffanlitover 1 year ago

That was interesting. One wonders if part of Joan’s mistake was triggered by the fact that his original love and sexual partner was still a huge part of his life. It’s like having the ex wife he always loves still critiquing his current marriage with his open participation. I wouldn’t be cool with that if my spouse was still tied like that to her ex…kind of creepy.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great stuff! This author has, in a short space of time become a 'go to' for me and I look forward to his next offering. 5 stars all the way!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This "author's" postings validates that this "author" has No Talent. Needs to go back and play with his/her colored crayolas.

SunnyU2SunnyU2over 1 year ago

Yawn

Story been told a thousand times on here

GarySmith69GarySmith69over 1 year ago

Joan was really stupid. Why anyone thinks swapping or having a strange cock is somehow going to improve thier marriage is delusional. Im glad the husband and best friend got together. I hope they stay together. Im a firm believer in not careing or wanting to know what my wife did before we met. Its something we never talk about.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I enjoyed this story. It was interesting, well-written and avoided the two-dimensional nonsense of many BTB tales on this site. I was particularly pleased by the fact that he acknowledged his responsibility for the marital disaster in the first sentence. He really did deserve all he got!

I was sorry about the conventional 'she sobbed and apologized afterwards'. Joan was capable of finding a far better husband than him. Let him have his long-term girlfriend and good riddance.

jasonnhjasonnhover 1 year ago

Another smart woman thinking she can arbitrarily define the terms of her marriage. He was correct. As soon as she came up with this scheme, she put herself above him in their relationship. The classic whine of "You don't own me!" Is EXACTLY the opposite. She thinks she owns him and their relationship. Her disrespect for him is inherent in her scheme, which he clearly and forcefully points out at the end. Just as is her unwillingness to accept any of the guilt for her actions; something he is unwilling to let her get away with. She is now older and wiser. And sadder.

It's a cherry on top that he reconnects with his long time friend and is more than OK. That will be another reminder to his ex that her scheming set him free and that someone else has a really good man. The odds are that she will not find as good a replacement herself. She didn't appreciate the treasure she had. There will probably always be an aspect of "If only" in her life, the final price paid.

Very good story.

demanderdemanderover 1 year ago

Wonder whether Joan ever found someone. D

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

So, he trades a newly minted whore for an old whore, what could go wrong?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This is just poorly conceived.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Not your best, but I'm so glad there are writers here who don't feel compelled to hate men, make them wimps and create evil women who think it is their right to rule their world. Joan got every bit of what she deserved. Paul and Rachael weren't innocent, and you eluded to several of their "mistakes", but, unlike his cheating slut wife, Paul was true to himself and his vows. Keep writing!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The MC and his new wife hold no moral high ground in comparison to the ex wife. Their preemptive act of adultery was cruel and unwarranted. The correct answer to the first wife's plan to have extramarital sex would have been, "The time to gain experience with others is prior to marriage. I have never wanted an open marital relationship and will not accept being in one now. I insist that you honor the vows we took on our wedding day. If you have sex with anyone other than me, I will divorce you on the basis of adultery." That clarity might well have brought her to her senses and saved their relationship. The first wife announced plans to destroy their marriage. The husband and their mutual friend then blew the marriage into pieces through a petty and vindictive display of their personal depravities.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Thanks for another interesting story. The characters were fairly well developed and the plot was fairly unique as well. When commenters like the Swede tell you the story isn’t original, I wish I knew what they’re thinking. They could certainly make their comment stronger by offering examples of an original plot within LW…or even by writing a few original LW stories for us. They might even give examples of the published stories that are just like this one. Instead, they make a very unoriginal comment without any effort to be original. Hmmm…there’s a word for a person like that…I think it starts with an h. At least you managed to evoke a different response from lujon2019.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well written, but an ugly story. The overbearing protagonist is open!y having an affair for his entire marriage, but then is self-righteously offended when his chattel wants to do the same. Ugh.

You should try some omniscient narrator stories. First person is bad writing, as the old professor said. Just a thought.

jmmj5jmmj5over 1 year ago

The grass isn't always greener. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

You continue to prove the validity of your pen name. A no talent hack.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Vows are only arbitrary if you write your own. If you believe that you’re not the pinnacle of power, if you believe in God, and Church, then the covenant has already been written. When someone argues for changes to what they agreed, they are calling for moral relativism, which is no morality at all.

someoneothersomeoneotherover 1 year ago

As already said, this is a story with no heroes and just three equally despicable people.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

An affair is an affair.. it doesn't matter if you go out and do it behind your mates back. Or if you just spring it on them at the kitchen table. The end results will still be the same.. HURTING your mate is a GIVEN. I honestly don't believe there's anything else to talk about after your spouse tells you they want to date/fuck/suck other people😒.... like come on... even if they changed their minds the relationship will NEVER be the same... just requesting such a ludicrous thing is enough to make you reflect.. question the relationship, question the adulter.. how can you say "I Love You".... but in the same breath say.......you're not enough... that's essentially what you're saying to your spouse...her logic is ......... astonishing... how she figured what he did in college (while he was young and SINGLE) equates her fucking other men?.. what is it with these women suddenly turning to sluts when they get married?😂😂😂😂🤔.... The time to release your inner slut is when you're young and SINGLE ‼️😑... you don't wait until you're married to write up a idiotic contract, with rules on fucking other people🧐... you certainly don't stoop to their level and fuck your "Friend"..

phill1cphill1cover 1 year ago

Your story was well written. And I don't understand why anyone would like or hate this story more than any other. The characters, IMO, were believable in the context.

ReaderectionReaderectionover 1 year ago

Joan might have responded differently if Rachel had been honest with her about still being in love with him and the swapping having destroyed their relationship.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Excellent

skruff101skruff101over 1 year ago

So let’s get this straight, he was so upset at the possibility his wife might cheat on him that the only way to convince her not to do it was to cheat on her instead.

The question that readily springs to mind is this, is that level of insanity a particularly antipodean concept and a more interesting question is there any correlation between the high ambient temperatures on that continent and the practice of ‘let me destroy this before you destroy it’ adding enthusiastically ‘na na nana na’.

skruff101skruff101over 1 year ago

So let’s get this straight, he was so upset at the possibility his wife might cheat on him that the only way to convince her not to do it was to cheat on her instead.

The question that readily springs to mind is this, is that level of insanity a particularly antipodean concept and a more interesting question is there any correlation between the high ambient temperatures on that continent and the practice of ‘let me destroy this before you destroy it’ adding enthusiastically ‘na na nana na’.

DontPanic442DontPanic442over 1 year ago

Another great story. Thank you again.

SkubabillSkubabillover 1 year ago

NTH has become a very quick favorite of mine with five-star stories like this one.

PowersworderPowersworderover 1 year ago

I enjoyed it, because the husband handled this perfectly. If your wife ever demands an open marriage, the relationship is done. The clock has already started ticking on the divorce, so you might as well end it immediately.

Wives request open marriages for one of two reasons:

1) start fucking a new guy she's been flirting with, without feeling guilty.

2) justify an already ongoing affair, so she doesn't feel guilty.

-

All the cucks whining about him being an asshole are absolutely wrong. The husband loved his wife and was 100% faithful to her for the entire marriage. When she arbitrarily declared that she was going to fuck another guy, she tried to bully her husband into agreeing, broke his heart, and instantly ended their marriage. It was painfully obvious that Joan was already having at least an emotional affair with the guy she lined up, and I'd be astonished if nothing physical had already happened.

-

In the summary at the end, it was revealed that Joan was a selfish, manipulative cunt, just like every wife that tries to browbeat a reluctant husband into opening the marriage. She deserved every bit of pain he inflicted on her by screwing Rachel, because that's precisely what Joan planned to do to him. These open marriage fiascos always end in disaster... usually for the wife.

By the time she wears her husband down into agreeing, he's so weary of her nagging to be a whore, that she's accidentally worn away all his love for her. It takes a while for the husband to recover from having his heart broken, then he replaces her sleazy, cheating ass with the first faithful woman that takes an interest.

5* for the realistic ending.

PowersworderPowersworderover 1 year ago

I enjoyed it, because the husband handled this perfectly. If your wife ever demands an open marriage, the relationship is done. The clock has already started ticking on the divorce, so you might as well end it immediately.

Wives request open marriages for one of two reasons:

1) start fucking a new guy she's been flirting with, without feeling guilty.

2) justify an already ongoing affair, so she doesn't feel guilty.

-

All the cucks whining about him being an asshole are absolutely wrong. The husband loved his wife and was 100% faithful to her for the entire marriage. When she arbitrarily declared that she was going to fuck another guy, she tried to bully her husband into agreeing, broke his heart, and instantly ended their marriage. It was painfully obvious that Joan was already having at least an emotional affair with the guy she lined up, and I'd be astonished if nothing physical had already happened.

-

In the summary at the end, it was revealed that Joan was a selfish, manipulative cunt, just like every wife that tries to browbeat a reluctant husband into opening the marriage. She deserved every bit of pain he inflicted on her by screwing Rachel, because that's precisely what Joan planned to do to him. These open marriage fiascos always end in disaster... usually for the wife.

By the time she wears her husband down into agreeing, he's so weary of her nagging to be a whore, that she's accidentally worn away all his love for her. It takes a while for the husband to recover from having his heart broken, then he replaces her sleazy, cheating ass with the first faithful woman that takes an interest.

5* for the realistic ending.

PowersworderPowersworderover 1 year ago

I enjoyed it, because the husband handled this perfectly. If your wife ever demands an open marriage, the relationship is done. The clock has already started ticking on the divorce, so you might as well end it immediately.

Wives request open marriages for one of two reasons:

1) start fucking a new guy she's been flirting with, without feeling guilty.

2) justify an already ongoing affair, so she doesn't feel guilty.

-

All the cucks whining about him being an asshole are absolutely wrong. The husband loved his wife and was 100% faithful to her for the entire marriage. When she arbitrarily declared that she was going to fuck another guy, she tried to bully her husband into agreeing, broke his heart, and instantly ended their marriage. It was painfully obvious that Joan was already having at least an emotional affair with the guy she lined up, and I'd be astonished if nothing physical had already happened.

-

In the summary at the end, it was revealed that Joan was a selfish, manipulative cunt, just like every wife that tries to browbeat a reluctant husband into opening the marriage. She deserved every bit of pain he inflicted on her by screwing Rachel, because that's precisely what Joan planned to do to him. These open marriage fiascos always end in disaster... usually for the wife.

By the time she wears her husband down into agreeing, he's so weary of her nagging to be a whore, that she's accidentally worn away all his love for her. It takes a while for the husband to recover from having his heart broken, then he replaces her sleazy, cheating ass with the first faithful woman that takes an interest.

5* for the realistic ending.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 1 year ago

Well balanced with solid plot progression. The narrative was engaging and sucked me into their universe. I would have liked a little more dialogue on how her demands came about, who the guy was she had interest in, that sort of thing, but still a solid story. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

As per usual, a very well written story — albeit a very common trope that is seen often in these fora.

.

Unfortunately, a trope like this really can’t work without the wife imbibing significantly on the output of that dastardly Martian Slut Ray 😎. Joan’s obsessive determination to demand a vacation from her marital vows so that she could experience “variety” — AND then expect hubby to take her back can only be explained by an overdose from that Ray. And Joan apparently did not “get it” until the final conversation with her soon to be Ex. If she did at all.

.

One message that the story provided is a simple observation: want a successful marriage? Do your best to marry your true best friend. The relationship has to be much much more than sexual attraction and compatibility. Paul and Rachel got to that point once…and then didn’t cash in. Looks like they got a second chance, thanks to Joan’s stupidity.

.

5 *****

FD45FD45over 1 year ago

I am reminded of something wise that grew something said about one of my stories long ago: writing a story is like pulling the pin on a grenade. You don’t totally control what happens after that.

This is a morality tale, a social commentary, and a romance.

These two, more than any Coven of Karens, know the price of breaking these ‘arbitrary’ rules. They lived it. They just could not enunciate is well or in a way that Joan was willing to hear.

The quant thing is a reflection on the social and legal mores of our current society: ‘If we divorce, I make more money, society will automatically blame him, and as long as I am even slightly above average, Tinder can fill my dance card until I am 50, so let me give this a try.’ Gone are the days of ostracized divorced women.

Which looks good on the surface but as we saw, there is more to life than money and cocks. Ask Rachel.

One need not discuss the romance.

FD45FD45over 1 year ago

swedishreader1

I know, right! Another story about fucking (on a porn site). Another story about marriage in loving wives. How original! Another story involving carbon based life forms. Yawn!

At the end of the day, there are no new stories left. But I gladly await for you to prove me wrong.

imhaplessimhaplessover 1 year ago

Original -- I like original. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I didn't particularly care for this story. But there is one thing (although you have to look a bit beneath the story's surface to see it) that this story illustrates pretty well.

.

Some say it is sentience that makes mankind different from other creatures. I'm not so sure of that. I have seen plenty of evidence that other animals are also sentient. But, there is one thing that I haven't ever seen in any other creature. I believe the true difference to be a human's almost limitless ability to "rationalize" it's own bad behavior -- pretty much any behavior. We all seem to be capable of coming up with reasons for our own actions that our minds will accept as "justification". Though I'm not able to communicate with other creatures well enough to know for sure, I don't think any other species possesses this ability.

.

All of the three main characters in this story display this ability. Personally, I didn't like any of them!

Usually, this would mean I rate a story low. This one provoked deeper thinking, so I won't. But, I can't rate it highly, either, because I didn't like it.

So, being influenced in both directions and perhaps rationalizing my thinking ... no rating.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

As usual, the derogatory comments come from the same losers who never even read the story. The 8th grade graduates skim a couple paragraphs write something they think is clever, and move on. Great story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Nicely Done!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

5…10 if I could. He ended up so fortunate. He slso showed the maturity of moving on from his experiences of his youth. Love the story which is told very well.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 1 year ago

It is always better to ask for forgiveness than permission!

.

We're told that Joan is smarter than her husband, but, as is so typical in LW, she's written as being dumb as a box of rocks. Any actually smart woman who felt an irresistible urge to sample other men's wares wouldn't ask her husband for permission, but would sneak around and try it behind his back, at least at first. After all, if he turns out to be a dud, well, as long as she can keep it from her husband, it's no harm, no foul.

.

But they're both at fault here. When they build their sex life on fantasizing about past lovers, they build past lovers into fantasy, better than they ever were, and naturally the temptation to screw around will be there, and the urge heightened.

.

Remember George Anderson's February Sucks? In it, when Jim demanded that Linda tell him everything about the weekend, Linda very stupidly told the whole truth. Any real woman would have shortchanged Marc's abilities in bed, to make it seem as though he was really no better than her husband, a fun time, maybe, but not better.

.

Here the couple do the same damned thing, playing up how great some past pussy was, so what other result could be expected?

.

I said that the wife was written as being an idiot, but the fact is that both were written as being stupid.

Frank66Frank66over 1 year ago

Really hard to enter into and understand such a story- these people, who treated sex so casually, just a bit of fun, in their school years, now consider it a deal breaker. I can understand Joan's feelings listening to these two talk about all the fun they had; altho for her to push it so hard that she loses her marriage doesn't make sense either. People grow up, change, mature, but this much? I give this new/old couple 7 years, but wouldn't put any money on it.

UnassignedUnassignedover 1 year ago

Definitely no new ground here, but as you've done in other stories, you dig deeper than others and that makes it worth the read.

.

I just selfishly hope that you're not burning out with all these submissions, and I get to enjoy a lot more of your work in the future.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A tsrue hypocritical asshole. May he rot in hell.

GamblnluckGamblnluckover 1 year ago

Well written story, but none of the characters were likable. Fucking Rachael in front of Joan was just totally wrong. They should have told joan about the Lisa person and how that relationship failed because of the same 'i need to get my due' premise. maybe they did. the same with the stuff at the end about how the rules were for joan's benefit. Perhaps that might have changed something.

Honestly, nothing might have worked because Rachael and the MC were pining for each other despite their arm's length relationship.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

same old story. How many times does it have to be rewritten until it doesn't ? Since there is nothing new, rates a 1.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

@Swedishreader1 thinks there's an ORIGINAL story anywhere in fiction? They're all a variation of the 'heroic quest'. Sheeesh. If you disagree, write something and show us.

koosewatcherkoosewatcherover 1 year ago

Out of the frying pan into the boiling oil!

TonyspencerTonyspencerover 1 year ago

I liked this version of "honey we need to talk", I could feel the pain for Paul and pleased at the solution he and Rachel came up with and the further development of the story. Well done.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJover 1 year ago

He did what he had to do. She was not going to stop no matter what he did. She wasn't ready for marriage. Maybe in a few years she can try again and do better. Paul deserved better since he had matured into monogamy and was ready for marriage. Says a lot about sowing your oats when you are young so when you do marry, you don't suffer from what ifs...

MasterpuppyMasterpuppyover 1 year ago

I'm poly and even I'll say some people are truly wired for mono

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989over 1 year ago

I enjoyed the read, a thoughful piece of writing. Once again sex wins out over love. I wonder what the score of that game would be, sex verses love game.

AethurAethurover 1 year ago

Reminds me a bit of 'Wrong Side of Smart'. An enjoyable tale. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good story! You are a very powerful author, and definitely one of my favorites on this site. Please continue to post!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Looks like Joan was the scapegoat for his issues with Rachel. Despicable MC. Everybody sucks in this story, Rachel just a tad less.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 1 year ago

One of the best. Thank you.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 1 year ago

Anon A tsrue:

Probably a foolish hope but perhaps if you explained yourself you would sound less like an idiot.

JusteenKJusteenKover 1 year ago

Absolutely no love here. Just a couple who coexisted and then didn't....

Buster2UBuster2Uover 1 year ago

An Amazing work of art! 5 stars for a Great Story, Great Writing, Great Moral to the story! Wow, Imagine a happy marriage of 3 years, together 5. Everything is going nice and smooth in your life and then the wife says she is so bored she wants to start dating and fucking other men. On top of that she draws up a contract on how to do it so that "it is fair" and feelings are less hurt for the husband. Only the contract eliminates any possible way the hubby can score. Only this selfish wife. She wants to get her some strange for a while then come back home to her security of her Husband without him being able to score himself. Pretty Good plot. Pretty selfish wife. Hubby threw it right back in her face to her amazement. LOL What an interesting story. I sure wish I had the talent to write like this. Thank You Very Much for the hard work my friend.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 1 year ago

You tend to build a better background for the primary characters than most. The ending wasn't exactly an Agatha Christie mystery. A couple people grew up(but talked way too much) and one regressed. Well told. 5*

Regguy69Regguy69over 1 year ago

Not a new story, but still well presented. He was stupid to tell his wife about his past adventures, really stupid. He was correct, she should have stayed single if she still need adventures of her own.

ReedRichards- “better to ask for forgiveness than permission” is a not so great when no forgiveness is forthcoming. In fact, in many circumstances it could get you killed. - You know, unforgiven with extreme prejudice.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

It's NOT about him not wanting other dicks in her kitty, she could have done that earlier in her life (like he did) without a problem. It's about betraying the marriage sacrament. They made promises to each other and she reneged.

.

And she was determined to go through with it regardless of severely damaging or even ending their marriage. More importantly, the pain it would inflict upon her husband was irrelevant to her: the one person she supposedly loved more than anything else in the world... and she didn't care.

.

Her words about loving him, belied by her actions, lost all value. Actions always trump words.

.

Ultimately, it didn't matter whether she believed in a monogamous marriage any longer or not. He told her how much her cheating would hurt him and SHE DIDN'T CARE. You aren't cruel to someone if you truly love them, certainly not on purpose.

WittonWittonover 1 year ago

I gave it a 3 for the reasons so well set out by Reed Richards infra.

I realize that this is Literotica, and the cheated upon husband always finds his one true love before the divorce is final, and they live happily ever after, while the cheating wife withers away

Lost in a convent's solitary gloom!

There stern religion quench'd th' unwilling flame,

There died the best of passions, love and fame

(apologies to Alexander Pope)

BlueEyd2BlueEyd2over 1 year ago

Joan was an idiot and when she didn''t get her way she threw a tantrum and threaten him with her infidelity. Why she would be surprised that she ended her marriage is beyond anything I can comprehend. She got what she deserved.

Frankly, I would have responded to her contract and her insistence that he sign, with a set of divorce papers and insist that she sign and be done with it. Should have had the papers there when he fucked Rachel in front of her.

BigBlueKatBigBlueKatover 1 year ago

A very good tale of the “Honey, we need to talk” theme. VERY good. 5/5

Buster2UBuster2Uover 1 year ago

So what if your wife comes home late and her pussy is full of some other man's cum? So what if your wife goes out on a date with some male coworker and doesn't come home until morning? What is the harm? unless she isn't taking her BC pill there shouldn't be any issue. Should there? Is it really just a man's ego that refuses to let her screw other men? I used to love to get sloppy seconds, but I always wanted to be there. I always wanted some Control. I never encourage my wife to date or fuck around but I sincerely suspected when I found a man's set of keys on the floor of her vehicle. When her panties were missing. When she would come home drunk. I can't see why I got so upset when I suspected extramarital sex. If you truly have a strong marriage it shouldn't make any difference, should it? What if our hero said, "go on out, get laid, and have some adventures? Just let me know so I don't worry about you." Then she comes home gives hubby sloppy seconds and tells him all about her adventure while they fuck. He can always divorce her if she gets carried away and falls in love with someone else. Which is what he did anyway. At least that way he maybe doesn't get divorced. If you want a real rush, send your wife into a bar, looking hot, by herself. come in later and watch what happens when several men start to "chat her up". When you get enough charge out of that just send her a text to meet outside, I guarantee the sex will be intense! LOL or if he has a room there just tell her to go upstairs for an hour with her friend.

inka2222inka2222over 1 year ago

Easy 5 stars, and wished I could give more. This is a perfect BTB.

To people complaining - first, "IQ smart" does not mean high EQ and understanding people - and in case of autism-like math geniuses often means the opposite. Plus, much of psychological research will show you that smart people are BETTER at convincing themselves in what they want to believe, all contrary evidence be damned. Google "motivated reasoning" and "IQ" together.

She wanted to feel like a good person, so she came up with the thing she did instead of just cheating on the sly like a cunning but evil person you seen in an average LW story would.

No, he's not hypocritical. There's nothing wrong with sex. What's wrong is that (1) sex with others outside committed relationship CAN and most often DOES diminish or destroy that relationship; rules or not; and (2) she simply acted supremely selfishly. She didn't say she wanted strange sex, she engineered it so she would get it, no matter how much it hurt him. THAT is what's wrong.

cyendreycyendreyover 1 year ago

A great story and cerainly a slightly different slant to the “wife wants to make up for missed opportunities when single” scenario.

Media and popular culture want everyone to believe that sex is just a bit of sweaty fun of no particular importance unless you’re a one of the popular “…ists” that the liberals love to hate. Libertine is what they really are.

I think this story is a fairly illustration of the fallacies and the pitfalls of having one partner fall for the popular myth while the other knows too well what the myths hide.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This was a raac disguised as a btb. I am pretty sure that Rachel engineered the whole situation so she could get her claws back into him. In the beginning he stated that it was mostly his fault, I agree. He should never have kept Rachel that close to him. Good story, even if it was a reconciliation.

Wanderer.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

clean; concise; literate... well done.

smokepole

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Always amazes me to see some of the comments. Most of the time its even east to figure out the sex of the commenter (see below). Early in my life, I decided that a man's role was to 'protect' the pussy. Philosophically, I expect it has more to do with 'protect the baby-making machine'. I'm thinking its a cruel joke on men the women think the same way. I think that's part of the devastation of a spouse's infidelity effects men so much more then women. Interesting play on the 'Honey, we've got to talk' theme. 5 big ones.

OOAAOOAAover 1 year ago

Very good story!!!

mattenwmattenwover 1 year ago

You have told another profound story very well. The difference, as always, lies in between. The unmarried, unattached can do many things that attached no longer want to do voluntarily. When everything goes right! 5*!

buzzsawlennybuzzsawlennyover 1 year ago

His wife deserved that for the way she tried to plow forward despite his resignation. She Actually called him a cuck, how can you come back from that. Plus he wasn't so it was even untrue.

bobareenobobareenoover 1 year ago

5 stars. Insightful and interesting. Thanks for this story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well guv, in any relationship, especially marriage, disclosing either partner's past intimate sexual history is a giant big no-no.

Unless it serves to highlight certain sexual activities or sexual positions which may negatively affect the current intimate relationship.

HemmingswayHemmingswayover 1 year ago

Nice job on this one!

Monagamous_NowMonagamous_Nowover 1 year ago

Excellent!

You always bring the good stuff!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Didn’t like it. Your stories are always well structured but this one has artificial sweeteners. All three characters are detestable.

There are authors like Tilan who create situations where that’s the whole point but I don’t suspect that’s what you are after.

Still gave you a 3*

onlythelonelyloveonlythelonelyloveover 1 year ago

“ You can keep lying to yourself if you want, but that's the only person you get to lie to. The rules weren't meant to make me feel less hurt, they were meant to make you feel less guilty.”

What a sanctimonious little prick! And quite the hypocrite as well. I hope that karma comes back to bite him in the butt. Wifey gets played—gets the guilt and none of the pleasure—truly Calvinist!

So, he gets to fuck his ex-girlfriend who pines for him, as much as he pines for her, throw it in his wife’s face, keep fucking her while feeling superior to his wife who has not actually executed as yet, and do so by rubbing it in her face —literally, I might add.

It is going to take Joan years to process this shitshow but she was always at a disadvantage with these two—who both had so much more experience in hurting each other and others—they could slip the knife in so well with Joan. And they got what they both wanted—a way back to each other that Joan obviously understood. Rachel says as much and yet there is NO self reflection as to the ongoing impact of that clear attraction on Joan, apart from an off-hand, “Joan could eventually handle her unwarranted insecurities …” The fact that was the FIRST thing he decided to do puts paid to the idea that “it’s all in Joan’s head.” And if he is as self-delusional about that, how could he possibly see the way his unconscious behavior, the longing or overly long look, etc wouldn’t impact his wife over time? And the answer is—he wouldn’t. Since Joan is unskilled emotionally, she doesn’t see it either—as yet. But she is a smart cookie and she will, since her pain will drive her to understand what happened. And when she does? Lots of options.

So NoTalentHack, thank you for a wonderful portrait of narcissistic desire. One person got a real lesson on its cost—a very hurtful one at that. What about the other two? When do they get a lesson in the costs of being “rulers of their world”? There is a sequel, set five to ten years down the road—a chance encounter between our “hero” and his ex. Which the ex doesn’t like, because his ex puts up a mirror and shows the ugliness there to both him and Rachel. What happens when you finally realize that you are not only the hero of your own story but also the villain?

Once again thank you for the excellent study in the destructive power of widespread narcissism.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Wanderer, I whole-heartedly disagree.

Yep, Paul and Rachel had a history, but they also both carried the knowledge that they had wrecked the 'something special' that made them a couple, despite their individual feelings.

If Joan hadn't put her finger on the scale, Rachel would have never interfered in their relationship, and Paul had zero intention of looking past his wife.

But the real reason why it was not a RAAC, was that when they were young and stupid... AND NOT COMMITTED to each other, they tried having adventures together, which destroyed the fabric of what relationship they had. There were no vows, no long term promises, just the thing that made them special diminished to it was broken. But they both did it, and it was only life's journey that taught them both that virtue, integrity, honour and loyalty were not burdens that had to be suffered in order to keep a partner, but instead are gifts that you can revel in with the one that you love. That between you, you have created something far greater than who the two people are as individuals.

Well written, with a justified outcome.

ChopinesqueChopinesqueover 1 year ago

How good is this story? Good enough to be thought-provoking. Not to write an essay, but...

People talk about tropes and such in the LW stories. Situations, actions, things said. Tab A, slot B. It shouldn't be that big an issue. The real constants (not tropes) are the feelings that arise at the (hopefully) vicarious experience of a covenant betrayed and left hanging by a thread, or irreparably broken. Yet you never see the word "covenant" in them! It's the most serious, sober, solemn commitment imaginable. In the oldest sense, you have pledged your life! Thus the deep feelings of betrayal the stories van evoke. The feelings are different, but the intensity? If the author is skilled, it's can be like a new Edgar Allen Poe story.

BaldingGrayingMiddleAgeGuyBaldingGrayingMiddleAgeGuyover 1 year ago

Joan is like a lot of intelligent people: While she's intelligent, she has ZERO common sense. She can't think her way out of a wet paper bag because of that lack of common sense. The same can be said for most liberals: THey're intelligent, but they utterly lack common sense. They also can't handle being wrong, and will refuse to believe facts that they don't agree with even when they're staring those facts right in the face.

njlaurennjlaurenover 1 year ago

Well done, the wife is classic example of the brain are to rationalize away stupidity. She is entranced by the stories but doesn't realize the cost to both Paul and Rachel.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

All of your "husband" characters always come off as neckbeard men's rights activists. I guess you've found a lane and are sticking to it. I'm just glad that there's a writer here that's brave enough to write high-handed sanctimony rather than erotica. Kudos!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

⭐️⭐️ Weak. No one here was worth rooting for. His sanctimonious ass especially.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago
Its Diffiult To Portray Blind Stupid People To The Reader And Make Them Appear Intelligent As A Spouse.

Its called Martian Slut Ray, but no one really knows the actual mechanism that makes a woman want to be a whore; it could be Martian Stupid Ray. Whatever, without the ray how do we understand how a supposedly loyal loving virtuous wife suddenly wants to fuck around on her husband, propose stupid shallow selfish rules for the fucking, and still expect her marriage to survive? The husband does not really know the wife in this story, but its the wife not really knowing the husband that is the failure in their relationship. So without the Slut Ray this is just another example of a shallow tepid distant marriage failing due to lack of effort and commitment. Can you imagine a spouse proposing to start experimenting with recreational drugs, taking trips to Las Vegas to win money to buy a house or start a business? Yeah, some couples do that crazy shit, and I suppose some get away with it, maybe even have a more exciting or prosperous marriage. Maybe, some. But who would expect that from a spouse that previously thought such crazy shit was crazy?

Yes, you made the break more dramatic and erotic, I guess, but Paul could have simply pointed out to Joan that her decision had broken their marriage contract and they would get divorced, she could fuck around all she wanted to, then they could start dating again and reconnect, if either had not already done so with another person. Based on your characters Paul and Rachel and Joan all would have ended up exactly the same place as you portrayed them. It simply would have been more logical and honest for Paul and Joan to admit that obviously their marriage wasn't that strong and that if either could find a better partner they should. Paul did. I wouldn't be surprised to find the older and wiser Joan ending up with a better marriage as well. But I liked your ending OK too. Thanks for the effort.

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69over 1 year ago

I loved it and thought it was very well written.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What a sophist @onlythonelylove is. Notwithstanding @only’s rambling treatise, (which is full of it by the way), you just can’t just lawyerly talk your wavy around a simple glaring, inevitable inference to be drawn from the inescapable seminal reality here —- that had Joan not planned — hell insisted — on opening up the marriage at all, let alone inter self serving way she did with her “amendments,” hubby and Rach would never have reconnected. @only acts as though the scheme was one they concocted, but as anyone with a reading comprehension level above first grade can discern, had Joan never constructed a scheme to cheat she’d still be married. Hell, hubby and Rach hit her with every argument possible to talk her out of it, but Joan was determined to have her “experiences” no matter how much hubby and Rach implored her not to. Heck, Rachel even called the shot — told her straight out that if she proceeded as she planned she would lose her husband through divorce straight away, or because someone else would likely “peel him off.” Rach was under no obligation to tell her that she (Rach) might well be the peeler. As hubby pointed out with brutal clarity what Joan’s amendments we’re intended to achieve was a one-sided extra-marital (asymmetrical) opportunity to get some strange. To cuck her husband without consequences, while appearing (deceptively) to Bev “fair.”Unfortunately for the would be cheater, that never happened. Def com one happened instead. A tough, brutal perhaps, but important life lesson about what can happen when we practice to deceive. Sometimes, as here, blowback from our contrived schemes is unsettlingly proximate to the planned deception.

The upshot — the outcome here was fair and just, if harsh. @only’s Calvinist line was just ideological trope stuff. If Joan hadn’t schemed you cheat, her husband and Rachel

Never touch each other again, regardless of what they may have wanted. Everybody wins here. Joan is now free to have her “experiences” and Rach and Paul get to fix a prior mistake, rare in life but rewarding when it does happen. The lesson is a simple one — don’t cheat, or plan to, and try to free up that log as anything other than a pig.

Great strory. Proactive. Not the usual formulaic nonsense.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userNoTalentHack@NoTalentHack
If you want to use one of my characters in your story or write an unofficial sequel or prequel or side story to one of my stories, please feel free to do so. I only ask a few things of you: 1. Credit me as the originator of the character/story. 2. DO NOT monetize it. This in...