All Comments on 'Are You My Husband? Pt. 03'

by jmmj5

Sort by:
  • 17 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percyalmost 2 years ago

Excellent conclusion to your story!

5

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69almost 2 years ago

Sorry i could not read the last page, too many tears!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Enjoyable story but you shouldn't build up potential plot points that don't happen ( e.g. Janie's potential adultery, Dina's infatuation with Scott). In the famous quote from Chekhov: I

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there

CriosCriosalmost 2 years ago

Wonderful story! The end brought tears to my eyes. My father also suffered from Alzheimer's so I can relate to much of Amanda's and Kathleen's behaviors and their loved ones' reactions.

SlithyToveSlithyTovealmost 2 years ago

While I liked the story and loved the character development (even the occasionally somewhat schmaltzy parts) the whole bigamy trial, even trumped up, seemed pretty farcical and a big reach. If there was no marriage ceremony and no marriage license or certificate, how in the world did the case even make it past a preliminary hearing without being simply dismissed for lack of evidence? There's a huge difference between being in a polyamorous relationship and formally marrying more than one person, and the law is focused on the latter.

The other part that was completely overlooked was that if Scott was arrested for bigamy and there was a notice about this in the paper, wouldn't some of his customers have question, reactions, or worries? Surely at least one person would cancel or have qualms.

Overall, great work, however.

dc6370dc6370almost 2 years ago

Fantastic job! I read the whole story in one sitting. 5*

Galama88aGalama88aalmost 2 years ago

Great story please wrote reconciliation story again very lacking here

muskyboymuskyboyalmost 2 years ago

5/5 but I agree with Anonymous about the dead end plot points, especially about Janie's infidelity. It really took a lot away from the overall story for me as I kept waiting for that shoe to drop. To a lesser extent the same with Scott and DIna getting together and Dina's nursing a baby. Nice tearjerker though.

clearcreekclearcreekalmost 2 years ago

I lost my father to Alzheimer's some years back. 5+

ender2k2kender2k2kalmost 2 years ago

That was very touching. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I became critically ill a few years ago and but for the grace of God I would have slipped away . So I agree with you when you say live each day as if it could be your last because it very well could be . I really enjoyed your story so thank you very much for this well written piece .

far_wanderer1984far_wanderer1984almost 2 years ago

Very beautiful story. My grandmother's got Alzheimer's and it's a sad thing to see someone you love like that, what makes it worse is she progressed fast due to my grandad dying, but she still talks to him at times.

EZ8ltEZ8ltalmost 2 years ago

I'm not too sure this needed the third part. I get the direction you wanted to go with it, but that could've been fine as a standalone story as well. I also agree with the Anon about potential story lines that never went anywhere. To me, this ended with chapter 2.

Holdfast68Holdfast68almost 2 years ago

I love this storey. Love and family at its best. Well written.

Seizeya1Seizeya1about 1 year ago

I'm a hard ass former LEO. This touched me. Good on you.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

My grandfather has dementia and has forgotten me and my brothers. It’s emotionally very hard to see someone who you have known and loved to no longer know or love you.

This was a very sweet story. Thank you.

MidwestSouthernerMidwestSoutherner9 months ago

I normally lurk, but this story has forced comments out of me.

I disliked it because it made me very uncomfortable with dementia et. al. But, I also loved it 5+.

I spent part of the day with my M.I.L. that she died from Alzheimer's. To see a family sundered is painful. Her mother also died from it. She knew she would too & tried to take measures. Now her daughter and then maybe our son?!

With an uncle that was institutionalized for most of his life, I empathize.

Scott, the MC, gives the only way to approach it - love & support. Know that it will hurt like nothing before, watching loved ones disintegrate bit by bit before you. Be patient, and include the children - teach them who this person was, and that they are still there but have forgotten.

Some ways to go are worse than others. Personally, I feel that this story helps because as a morality story. It shows love towards the 'afflicted ones' even when they aren't able to know it.

Call it paying it forward towards when it is your turn. And, it will be.

JMMJ5, thank you.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userjmmj5@jmmj5
With a few exceptions, I tend to write longer stories, but that’s just my nature, I think. I’m going to try to tighten that up in the future. I know that means fewer people will read them, but I know that going in. Also, I tend to write what I know. I’ve spent a lot of time i...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

SIMILAR Stories