Arewyn Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'll have another taste of bourbon," I smiled, "And that'll be it."

"Very good, sir," he replied, "I'll be back momentarily," and then he was gone.

"I need to use the restroom, Daddy," Izzy smiled, rising up from the table, "I'll be right back."

"Okay, baby girl," I replied, thinking nothing of it when I should have. It wasn't unpleasant once I got used to it, but little did I realize what lay in store for me in the not too distant future?

~~~~~~

After I finished my liqueur and paid the bill, we took a cab back to Harrington Hall, Izzy wearing a content little smile on her beautiful face the whole ride back.

~~~~~~

"You were a little forward with our server," I teased Izzy, "You must like him, huh?"

"Oh, stop teasing me," she giggled, "Besides, I'm almost a woman now."

"Ungh," I groaned, "I'm trying not to think about that."

"Come on, Daddy," Izzy replied, "Aunt Sue and Aunt Lainie both say that I'm almost old enough to start dating you know."

"Is that right," I laughed, "You shouldn't listen to those two."

"Ooo, Daddy," she impishly grinned, "You're gonna be in so much trouble when I tell them what you said."

"I don't think so," I chuckled, "We live here and they live back home in the United States so, there, Miss Smart Ass."

~~~~~~

The next day, Monday, was a workday, which also meant that there were only five full days left until Isabella turned sixteen. It still only seemed like yesterday that her mother was still alive and Izzy herself was only a baby. However, reality set in quickly, only I began to realize that it wasn't hurting me as badly as it once did when I thought about Wendy. Even Izzy seemed brighter and less melancholy than before. I can't explain it other than to say that it must've been for the fact that we were in Ireland.

Hell, I'd always heard that Ireland was a magical place, and I was beginning to think that there might've been some truth to that rumor. And the way we were taken in by the Donnelly family only reinforced my belief in the same rumor. I can't remember that last time I'd had so much fun in the short time Izzy and I been there. And as Sean was driving me into the office that first morning, I heard Eric Clapton on the radio playing his version of the song "Crossroads."

"Oh, man," I smiled, "Turn the radio up. I really like that song."

"Oh yeah," Sean chuckled, as he turned the volume "It's real gas."

~~~~~~

"Michael," Aedan happily greeted me as I walked into his office that morning," Top o' the mornin to ya, lad."

"Hi, Aedan," I smiled, "Good morning to you, too."

"Are ya ready to jump right in?" he merrily asked.

"Sure," I grinned, something I'd been doing a lot of, as of late, "Let's get to it."

"Then come with me, lad..."

~~~~~~

Aedan and I took a car ride; Sean drove of course, to the job site. When we got there the site had obviously been cleared, yet the ground had not been broken, nor had the forms been built to begin the pouring of the several hundred thousand cubic yards of concrete it was going to take to support the structure.

"What's going on here, Aedan," I asked, "I though we were ready to start pouring concrete."

"I think you need to talk to me General Contractor," Aedan slyly grinned, "He disagrees with your design, says it has a few flaws."

"That's bullshit," I spat, "There are nothing wrong with my designs, I assure you."

"Let's go talk to him," Aedan chuckled, "This ought to be good."

We walked over to the office trailer and went in.

~~~~~~

The moment we stepped in, a man who was in his late thirties, or early forties, I'd say, wearing work clothes and boots, and sitting behind a desk intently studying my blueprints, greeted us.

"Top o' the mornin to ya, Aedan," he smiled. Then pointed at me and cautiously asked, "Is that he?"

"Liam McGiveny," Aedan chuckled, "Allow me to introduce to you, Michael Henson."

"So, you're the one who's responsible for this shite," he glared at me, "If ya think this is gunna be a sound structure, yer outta yer fookin mind."

"Is that a fact," I cockily sneered, "What, pray tell, makes you think that?"

Pointing to the blueprints he showed me what he was talking about and said, "Ya can't use this much concrete."

"What in the hell makes you say that?" I snapped, "And just who in the fuck do you think you're talking to?

Don't get testy with me, boy," he defensively growled, "I'll knock your bollocks off."

One of the things that my stepfather taught me was how to not only defend myself, but to bring the fight to my attacker. So, with that in mind, I stepped back and hatefully said, "Take your best shot, old man."

"Alright then," he glared, "Let's step outside, boy. That way I won't fook up me office with ya."

Let's go," I replied, walking out the door of the office as I spoke.

~~~~~~

I was wearing a business suit, and as I handed my coat and tie to Aedan, who was standing there with a smile on his face, Liam growled, "I'm gonna hate messin up yer nice clothes, boy."

I turned around just in time to duck a punch that he'd thrown, getting in underneath his reach to give Liam a hard uppercut to the jaw, knocking him off of his feet and onto his ass.

"Is that all you've got," I laughed, "You fight like my fifteen year old daughter...mate."

"You're gunna live to regret that one, laddie," he sneered, an evil smile on his face, "Now come on and fight."

This time I held nothing back, and as hard and as fast as I could, I delivered a spinning wheel kick that landed square along his jaw line and temporal area that knocked him back onto his ass again, only this time he was out cold.

"BLOODY HELL," Aedan cheered, "Where did ya learn to fight like that, young Michael?"

"My Dad taught me, " I replied, pointing to McGiveny lying on the ground, "He said it would come in handy if I ever encountered assholes like that one."

"He's gunna come lookin fer ya when he wakes up," Aedan laughed, "You better watch yerself."

"Tell him that I said 'Come on'," I growled, "I'll put him in the hospital next time."

~~~~~~

As soon as we got back to Aedan's office the phone rang; and while I was in Aedan's restroom cleaning up, I heard Aedan say, "Alright then, Liam, I'll tell Michael what ya said."

"Now what?" I asked, retying my necktie.

"Lord be praised, ya must've knocked some sense into that hard head of his," Aedan proudly smiled, "Liam said that he wants us to meet him at Sullivan's, he wants to buy our drinks."

"You're kidding me," I blanched, "I'm gonna end up fighting him again."

"No, lad," Aedan chuckled, "We Irish love it when we find a man who can best us in a fight."

"You're all nuts," I laughed, "You know that don't you?"

"Come on, Michael," Aedan smiled, "A pint of Guinness will put you right at ease, lad."

~~~~~~

"Come in, come in," Liam McGiveny smiled, his left eye almost swollen shut, and the whole left side of his face darkly bruised.

"I don't want any more trouble," I warned, "I'm not here to fight."

"No, Michael," Liam chuckled, extending his hand, "I wanted to ask you how you learned to fight like that...please, come in and have a pint with me."

~~~~~~

"So, tell me, mate," Liam grinned, as we all stood at the bar, each with our own pint, "Where did you learn to fight like that?"

"My Dad taught me," I proudly smiled, "He was a United States Army Green Beret during the war in Vietnam."

"Ah, that was a nasty war, that one," he solemnly replied, "Your Da sounds like a good man to me...eh lads?" And all of the men in the pub, each one listening in on our conversation, all raised their glasses in salute.

"Thank you, gentlemen," I humbly said, "That means a lot to me and my family."

~~~~~~

That afternoon when I got in from work, I was pleasantly surprised to find Arewyn there with Izzy."

"Daddy," Izzy excitedly grinned, hoping up from the couch, "I've found us a house."

"Oh really," I laughed, "And how much is this house going to cost me?"

"Not as much as all that," she sweetly smiled, "Besides, Daddy, it's out a ways from the city, it has a beautiful view of the Irish Sea, and it's nice and quiet."

"I suppose I ought to take a look then," I grinned, "Whadaya say, baby girl?"

"I love you, Daddy," she squealed, tightly throwing her arms around me, "You're the best."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," I teased, "You only say that because I spoil you rotten."

~~~~~~

Arewyn drove us north up the M1 for roughly fifty miles, until she turned east ending just north of Skerries. And then she pulled her car into the driveway of a very nice, no...make that a very splendid house, which provided a breath taking view of the sea; just as my daughter said it would.

"This is beautiful, Izzy," I smiled, looking around as we entered the house, "How the hell did you find this place?"

"This house belongs to me," Arewyn replied, sadly smiling, "When I lost both me Mum and Da...they left me this place."

"Wait a minute," I objected, "Where do you live then?"

"Not to worry," she sweetly smiled, "I've got a cottage a little less than two kilometers up the road."

"So, are we talking lease here?" I politely asked, "I mean, that would only be right, Arewyn."

"I most certainly wasn't gunna let ya stay here fer free," she began to laugh, "Yes, Michael...I'd be honored if ya leased my house, but I'm still not going to charge ya much."

"Come on, now," I said, "I don't want to receive any kind of preferential treatment."

"See?" Izzy conspiratorially giggled, "I told you, didn't I?"

"Aye," Arewyn giggled, "Ya certainly did, Izz."

"What?" I suspiciously asked, amongst the female laughter of Izzy and Arewyn, "What're you two talking about?"

"Oh, nothing really," Arewyn brightly smiled, "Izzy told me that you'd try to be a gentleman about all of this and ask to be treated just like everyone else."

"Is there something wrong with that?" I asked, beginning to get a little perturbed, "I was raised to be a gentleman."

"It's a gentleman you are, Michael," Arewyn smiled, gently taking my hand into hers, "And don't think for a moment that it's not appreciated...because it is, and greatly so."

"That's all well and good, and I thank you," I lightheartedly teased, "But I still don't think it's right."

"Alright then," she smiled, "If it will assuage your conscious, how about three thousand pounds?"

"I think that three thousand pounds a year will be fine," I smiled, "I'll have it for you in the morning, okay?"

"Ya dear sweet man," Arewyn sweetly replied, "I was talkin about three thousand pounds total, and that's final."

"Am I ever going to get a break?" I laughed.

"No," she giggled, "Not as long as me and Izzy are alive."

"That's right, Daddy," Izzy giggled, "So you better watch your back."

~~~~~~

The house was just a little under three thousand, five hundred square feet and was furnished, as well as decorated beautifully. I can only assume that Arewyn must've had a hand in that, but I really didn't care, it was absolutely gorgeous.

As I looked out of the spacious window, I could see the ocean, giving me a peace the likes of which I hadn't known since way before Wendy died. I think that it must've had the same effect on Izzy as well, because I noticed an immediate change in her demeanor once we were moved in.

That's not to say that she had been unpleasant in any way, shape or form, on the contrary. However, I could see a difference in her, meaning that she seemed to be calmer, more sure of herself. Little did I realize that Arewyn had also had a hand in that as well?

~~~~~~

The following Saturday was Izzy's birthday, and because she was turning sixteen, I wanted to make sure that her "Sweet Sixteen" party was a success. I saw to it that Jeff and Elaine, Bob and Sue were all there.

Imagine her surprise when she came home from shopping with Arewyn that afternoon to find the people that she loved the most in her home.

"Oh my God," she squealed, throwing her arms around Sue, "What're you all doing here?"

"Are you kidding?" Sue giggled, "We're here to celebrate your birthday with you, baby girl."

"You're responsible for this, aren't you Daddy?" she asked, happy tears raining down her face.

"Guilty," I chuckled.

"I love you," she wept, "I love you so much, Daddy."

"Aw, there, there," I soothed, "I love you, too, baby."

~~~~~~

"How have you been, cousin?" Jeff smiled, after the commotion died down and Izzy was in her room changing clothes, "It's good to see you, Arewyn."

"You, too, Jeffery," she giggled, hugging him, "And this must be Elaine."

"It's nice to finally meet you, Arewyn," Elaine said, hugging her, "I've heard a lot of good things about you over the years."

"If you heard it from Jeffery," she giggled, returning the hug, "Ya can be quite certain that it's a big load of shite."

"Girl, don't I know that," Elaine laughed.

~~~~~~

With the exception of Izzy, who had been back in her room, we were sitting in my living room talking, when Izzy came out of her room. Then looking at me with her hands on her hips, she conspiratorially grinned and said, "Daddy I need you to so something for me...please?"

"Okay," I smiled, "Today is your birthday so; your wish is my command."

"You and Uncle Bobby and Uncle Jeff need to get out of here for a little while," she plainly stated, "I need to talk to Arewyn, Aunt Sue and Aunt Lainie about some stuff, and I don't want any boys around when I do...please Daddy?"

"Alright, baby," I smiled, giving her a hug and kissing her on the forehead, "Besides, I need to talk to Jeff about the job anyway," then motioning with my head towards the door, I looked at Bob and Jeff and said, "Come on guys, I believe I've been given my instructions."

"You're so silly, Daddy," Izzy giggled, "But I love you anyway."

~~~~~~

"So, tell me what you're thinking, partner." I asked Jeff, once were out on the jobsite, "It looks a whole lot different, doesn't it?"

"Damn, Mike," he grinned, looking at what all had been done since the last time he was here, "How many cubic feet of concrete did it end up taking to lay the foundation?"

"Just a little over three hundred thousand right now," I replied, "But that's not counting the floors once we start going up."

"It's gonna be different, that's for sure," he laughed, "I understand that you got into it with Liam McGiveny, and that he got his ass whipped."

"Aw man," I groaned, "Does Aedan tell you everything that goes on?"

"No," chuckled, "Arewyn told me."

"I guess I need to have a talk with her," I replied, shaking my head.

"It's not her fault, Mike," Jeff said, "I asked, and then I almost had to drag it out of her. And had I not been family, she wouldn't have told me shit."

"She's a pretty thing, Mike," Bob smiled, "That much is certain."

"That's nothing," Jeff chuckled, "You ought to hear talk about Mike, it's Michael said this, and Michael said, or did that. I think she likes him."

"Jeez, I would hope so," I replied, "After all, she is my daughter's tutor ya know."

"Whatever you say, Mike," Jeff knowingly said, winking at Bob, "Whatever you say old friend..."

~~~~~~

Meanwhile back at the house...

"So, tell us, Isabella," Elaine giggled, "Why did you not want the guys around, and what're you up to now?"

"I met someone," Izzy swooned, "His name is Robert Kelly, and he's so cute."

"It's no wonder that ya didn't want yer father around then," Arewyn laughed, "I don't think he'd be particularly thrilled at what ya just said, love."

"Ain't that the truth," Sue giggled, "He'd definitely have a cow."

"That's why I wanted to talk to you guys," Izzy worriedly replied, "I want to invite Robert to my party tonight, but I don't want Dad getting all pissed off about it. Can you help me?"

After giving Arewyn an assessment on how beautiful she and Elaine found her to be, not only as a woman, but a person as well, Sue smiled, shooting Elaine a knowing wink, and then gently said, "Don't worry Izzy, I think we may be able to help you, sweetie. What do you think, Elaine?"

"Why yes," Elaine grinned, brightly smiling at Arewyn, "I think you're right, Susie."

"Good," Sue giggled, as she conspiratorially rubbed her hands together, "This is what we're gonna do..."

~~~~~~

"Hello, Jeffery," Aedan greeted us, after having called him to meet us at Sullivan's, "How are you, my lad?"

"I'm good, Uncle Aedan," he smiled, shaking hands and winking at me, "Are you keeping Mike's ass in line while he's here?"

"Aye, lad," Aedan laughed, "I bust his bollocks daily, just fer good measure."

"Mike took me to the job site earlier," Jeff smiled, "You guys have been very busy since I was last here."

"And Michael is responsible fer it," Aedan sincerely replied, "He's a good man and his peers all respect him."

"Even Liam McGiveny?" Jeff laughed.

"Who do ya think keeps everyone else on their jobs?" Aedan howled, "Liam is still a good lad, though. It simply took, as you yanks would say, "getting his arse whipped" by Michael to make him see it, that's all."

"Aw, man," I groaned, smiling and shaking my head.

~~~~~~

Chapter Four

"Ya want me to do what?" Arewyn gasped, her face blushing brightly.

"It's like this," Sue gently smiled, "We need you to keep Michael distracted until Izzy's date gets here."

"He likes you, Arewyn," Elaine sadly smiled, "I've known him for a very long time and I can tell. Besides, I feel like his heart is beginning to mend since he's been here."

"If you want me to do this," Arewyn cautiously replied, "I'll be needin to know everything then,"

"I met Michael when Jeff and I dated in college," Elaine began, "I thought Michael was such a sweet guy so; I introduced him to my room mate, Wendy Hughes."

"That would be Izzy's mother," Arewyn gently asked, "Am I correct?"

By this time Isabella was seated next to Arewyn, holding her arm within her own. And as she smiled at Izzy, Arewyn looked at Sue and Elaine and said, "Please, tell me more."

"Wendy was Michael's whole world," Sue sadly began, "And when they found out that Wendy was pregnant, I've never seen a man that was as excited as Michael was."

"When Wendy died, it knocked all of us on our asses," Elaine added, "But not Michael, he knew that he had a daughter to raise and he was right there doing it."

"I don't know where Daddy gets his strength from," Isabella began cry, "But I don't think he can last for much longer."

"There, there, my lamb," Arewyn softly soothed, placing her arms around Izzy, "We'll figure something out, love...I promise."

"So, you'll do it then?" Sue hopefully asked.

"How could I not?" Arewyn sadly replied, a lone tear slowly making its way down her beautiful cheek as she hugged Izzy tightly.

~~~~~~

"Thank you for throwing me a party, Daddy," Izzy smiled, hugging me as we danced together.

"Are you kidding me?" I smiled, gently tweaking the tip of her pretty little nose, "You only turn sixteen once ya know."

Suddenly a familiar voice from behind me said, "Excuse me, but do you mind if I cut in?"

"Not at all," Izzy conspiratorially giggled, steeping away from me as Arewyn took her place in my arms, "Be my guest."

"Isn't this a pleasant surprise?" I smiled.

"I was hopin ya felt that way," Arewyn cooed, "I asked Izzy to let me cut in. Ya don't mind, do ya?"

"On the contrary," I grinned, "With everything that has been going on, we haven't really had the time to talk."

"No, we haven't," she sweetly smiled, "The weather is nice. Would ya care to sit out on the back deck after this dance and talk then?"

"I think I'd like that very much..."

~~~~~~

"You seem to know everything about me," I smiled, as I held out a patio chair for her to sit in, "Why don't you tell me more about Arewyn, more than the tiny bit I already know?"

123456...8