Arewyn Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"There's not really not much to tell," she demurely smiled, "Besides, I wouldn't know where to begin even if there was."

"Why don't you start as far back as you can remember," I grinned, "Then work your way forward from there?"

"Ya really want to know?" she asked.

"Yes."

"Alright then," she began, "I was born right here in Dublin thirty-one years ago this November, and..."

"Excuse me," I politely interrupted, "But did you say thirty one years, this November?"

"Aye," she smiled, "Why?"

"I hope you'll forgive me," I replied blushing, my face a bright red, "But you don't look a day over twenty-three, or twenty-four. Hell, I thought you were twenty-five at the very most."

"Did ya now?" she sweetly giggled, "Ya needn't be askin my forgiveness for anything, Michael, especially after payin me such a fair compliment. I should be thankin you."

"That's not necessary," I smiled, "Please, continue."

Alright then," she said, "My Da got a job working for the Constabulary in Belfast while me Mum was a nurse, and worked in Belfast City Hospital. We lived in Belfast until I was twenty and then an IRA bomber got the both of them with one blast...the bloody bastard."

"Damn, Arewyn," I soothed her, "I'm so sorry that happened to you."

"Twill be alright, Michael," she sadly smiled, "After Uncle Aedan took me in, my life began to flourish. I finished my schoolin down here, away from all that shite up North. Now I'm a teacher, I'm happy with my life, and when I meet the right man, I'll marry him if he asks me."

"Is that right," I good naturedly teased her, "And what if he doesn't ask you to marry him?"

"That's the easy part," she delightfully giggled, "I'll kick him in the bollocks, and then hold him at gunpoint until he submits." Then she stood up and walked away from the patio table; and while gently taking my hand into hers and pulling me to my feet she quickly but softly kissed me on the cheek, then giggled and said, "Ya might want to come back inside with me if ya wanna see the surprise that Izzy has in store fer ya."

~~~~~~

"Daddy, I know you remember Robert from when he served us our meals last Sunday night," Izzy happily chirped, "Well, I talked him into giving me his phone number and here he is."

It was all I could do to not laugh at the look of fear that was written across the boy's face so; instead, I simply smiled, and extending my hand, said "Welcome Robert. It's good to see you again."

"Thank you, sir," he meekly replied, clearly relieved, "It's good to see you again also, Mister Henson."

"Look, kid," I chuckled, "My name is Mike and not sir. I want you to call me that from now on, okay?"

"Yes, sir...err...I mean, Mike." he chuckled, "Thank you."

"You're very welcome," I replied, "Just keep in mind that my daughter is a mere sixteen years old."

"Duh Daddy," Izzy irritably replied, "He's only seventeen and is it alright if Robert takes me to dinner for my birthday?"

Although we were already throwing her a party, I looked around the room at all the adults there, and realizing that my baby had grown up right before my eyes, as well as the fact that she wanted, no, needed to be around people her own age, I smiled and told her, "As long as you're back here by midnight, I guess it's alright."

"Thank you, Daddy," she smiled, hugging me. And then turning to Robert once our hug was broken, smiled, and taking his hand, purred, "Come on, handsome," and then they were gone.

~~~~~~

"It twill be alright," Arewyn smiled, as I watched Izzy and Robert pull out of the driveway in his car, "You can't stop the inevitable."

"I know," I sighed, tears beginning to fill my eyes, "Damn, why did she have to grow up so fast?"

"We all do, Michael," she sweetly smiled, talking my hand, "Come, walk with me and maybe I can take your mind elsewhere."

~~~~~~

"I want to thank you," I smiled, as Arewyn and I walked together, "For all you've done for Izzy."

"Twas nothing," she giggled, "Izz is a lovely girl, not to mention smart as can be."

"She really is," I smiled, "But she got her looks as well as her brains from her mother."

"I'll bet her mother was a very beautiful woman," Arewyn replied, "And I can tell that you loved her very much."

"Yeah, I did," I sadly said, "I only wish that she would've lived long enough to see her daughter grow into the beautiful young woman she's become."

"Who says she hasn't?" she smiled, squeezing my hand and leaning into me, "God works in so many mysterious ways, Michael, ya hafta believe that."

"I do," I solemnly answered, "Or at least I'm trying to."

"I know how ya feel; right after me Mum and Da were killed I shook me fists at him," she replied, "And then I began to see that the more I denied him, the more I needed him."

"Really," I asked, she nodded, "So, what did you do?"

"I realized that it wasn't God's fault," she replied smiling, "And that he needed Mum and Da in heaven worse than I did here on earth."

"You're a strong woman," I told her, "I don't know if I have that within me."

"Sure ya do," she sweetly said, "After all, ya raised Izzy by yerself, didn't ya?"

"I guess," I chuckled, "But I had a lot of help along the way."

"I'm sure ya did," Arewyn softly replied, "But ya still did it though, and I'll bet yer wife, Izzy's mother, is lookin down on the two of yas right now, smilin proudly."

"I sure hope so," I smiled, "Thanks, Arewyn, I can't tell you what it means to hear you say that."

"You're very welcome, Michael," she softly replied, while gently taking my hand as we headed back to the house, "She's a lovely girl, that Izzy...lovely girl."

~~~~~~

The next day was spent sight-seeing with Bob and Sue, as well as Jeff, Elaine and of course Isabella.

We spent the morning at Dublin Castle and then the afternoon North of Dublin at Malahide Castle. It was really pretty neat to be able to visit places that have withstood not only the sands of time, but also the turbulence of the times as well as the people who lived before us in the places we now stood.

In the seaside village of Malahide were numerous shops and restaurants there, and leave it to Izzy to find a shop containing old folklore and the myths of Ireland.

We had all just sat down to have a rest when Isabella came walking out of a nearby shop with a book on her hand and a look on her face as though she's seen a ghost.

"I think you'd better take a look at this, Daddy," she quietly said, handing me the seemingly old and largish book that had "Irish Mythology" etched into the facing cover.

I turned to the page she had marked with a slip of paper and the saw the title, "The Tragic Tale of Deirdre". "Honey, I know this story," I smiled, handing the book back to her.

"No, Daddy," she anxiously warned, "Turn the page past where I've marked it and look at the picture."

After doing what she said, turning the page and looking at the picture contained therein, I felt every single hair on the back of my neck stand straight up. I froze in my tracks as I gazed at a picture of a very beautiful woman that had golden blonde hair and fair skin with gray green eyes who could've been Arewyn's twin, they looked so much alike.

"Keep going, Daddy," Izzy urged, a look of slight panic on her face, "Turn the next page and look at that picture."

I knew that there were forces working in my life that were more powerful than me when I saw the picture of Deirdre's slain love, Naoise, and the scary part was that he looked just like me, down to the tiny little mole on my cheek below the left side of my left eye. I was momentarily riveted in place before regaining my senses.

"Holy shit," Jeff said, after having observed, like the rest of our party, the pictures in the old book, both of them, "That's wild, man."

"Honey, I don't think that wild is the correct word that I would use here," Elaine warily replied.

"I think that bizarre works better," Izzy replied.

"No," Sue strangely and knowingly smiled, looking at me, "But somehow I don't think it's something to be afraid of either...how about you, Mike?" I simply smiled and shook my head, a strange but sweet feeling suddenly beginning to overcome me.

"Izzy, where did you get this book, sweetie?" I asked, chill bumps now appearing on every surface of my skin.

"I got it from that shop I just came from," she told me, pointing to where she'd just been, " I paid fifteen pounds for it."

"This thing has to be at least a hundred years old," I said, after examining the book's old worn bindings. And then nodding my head towards the shop, I told her, "I think maybe they might've made a mistake, sweetie. This book is obviously an antique so; why don't you take it back and let the shop owner know."

"I said the same thing, Daddy," she earnestly told me, "I already tried to give them their money back, but the lady told me that fifteen pounds was the price."

"Come on," I smiled, taking Izzy's hand. "Let's go talk to her."

~~~~~~

"I'm sorry, sir," the kindly old woman politely replied, "But all sales are final."

"Yes, ma'am, I understand that," I smiled, showing her the book Izzy bought earlier, "But I think you undercharged my daughter on this book, because I believe perhaps it might be an antique."

"Aye, that it tis," the lady smiled, "But, like I've already told you...the price is fifteen pounds."

"Are you sure?" I smiled, "Because we don't mind paying more."

"If ya wanna throw yer money away, that's up to you," she giggled, "But yer paid in full here."

"If you say so," I grinned, preparing to leave the shop, "Thank you, and have a nice day.

~~~~~~

"So, what did the shop owner say, Michael?" Elaine asked.

"She told me that all sales are final," I told the rest of them, "She was a nice little old lady though." That was also the day that I began to accept that there was definitely something strange going on, and also realized that it had been that way the moment I stepped onto Irish soil. However, I was still unable to see it at the time, but that would remedy itself all in due time.

~~~~~~

The next morning brought a pleasant surprise when I awoke to the sounds of female laughter emanating from the kitchen. I came down the hall in a pair of shorts and a tee shirt to find Arewyn sitting at the table talking with Izzy, Sue and Elaine.

"Good morning, ladies," I sleepily smiled, "Where are Bob and Jeff?"

"They're still at the hotel," Elaine giggled, "And they're both still asleep...kinda like you." Of course this induced a cacophony of female laughter that filled the kitchen.

"Yeah, yeah," I playfully teased, "But I'm awake now."

"Top o' the mornin to ya, Michael," Arewyn brightly smiled, pulling out a chair beside her, "Here, have yerself a seat and I'll fetch ya a cup of coffee."

"Thank you," I cheerfully smiled, "But I can get it myself ya know."

"Not while I'm here," she sweetly replied, "Besides, you're the man of the house so, sit down and I'll be right back with yer coffee."

"So, ladies," I chuckled, as I sat down at the table, "What kind of trouble are the four of you in here stirring up this morning?"

"Oh, hush, Daddy," Izzy giggled, "We were just sitting here talking."

"Whatever you say, sweetie," I laughed, "But I know your Aunt Sue and Aunt Elaine all too well."

"What does that have to do with anything," Izzy asked, as Arewyn returned with some coffee for me and sat back down at the table, "I was just getting ready to show Arewyn the book I bought yesterday. I wanted her to see the story of Deirdre."

"Tis a sad tale, the story of Deirdre," Arewyn said, "It's a shame yer book probably doesn't tell the whole story, though, very few do anymore."

"The whole story," Izzy asked, "You mean there's more?"

"Oh yes, my lamb," Arewyn giggled, "There's loads more."

"Will you tell me," Izzy inquired, "The whole story, I mean?"

"I'll try," Arewyn smiled, then, in her beautiful Irish accent, she began..."There was a man in Ireland once who was called Malcolm Harper. The man was a right good man, and he had a goodly share of this world's goods. He had a wife, but no family. What did Malcolm hear but that a soothsayer had come home to the place, and, as the man was a right good man, he wished that the soothsayer might come near them. Whether it was that he was invited or that he came of himself, the soothsayer came to the house of Malcolm.

"Are you doing any soothsaying?" says Malcolm.

"Yes, I am doing a little. Are you in need of soothsaying?"

"Well, I do not mind taking soothsaying from you, if you had soothsaying for me, and you would be willing to do it?"

"Well, I will do soothsaying for you. What kind of soothsaying do you want?"

"Well, the soothsaying I wanted," says Malcolm was that you would tell me my lot or what will happen to me, if you can give me knowledge of it."

"Well, I am going out, and when I return, I will tell you."

And the soothsayer went forth out of the house and he was not long outside when he returned.

"Well," said the soothsayer, "I saw in my second sight that it is on account of a daughter of yours that the greatest amount of blood shall be shed that has ever been shed in Erin since time and race began. And the three most famous heroes that ever were found will lose their heads on her account."

After a time a daughter was born to Malcolm, he did not allow a living being to come to his house, only himself and the nurse. He asked this woman, "Will you yourself bring up the child to keep her in hiding far away where eye will not see a sight of her nor ear hear a word about her?"

The woman said she would, so Malcolm got three men, and he took them away to a large mountain, distant and far from reach, without the knowledge or notice of any one. He caused there a hillock, round and green; to be dug out of the middle, and the hole thus made to be covered carefully over so that a little company could dwell there together. This was done.

Deirdre and her foster-mother dwelt in the bothy mid the hills without the knowledge or the suspicion of any living person about them and without anything occurring, until Deirdre was sixteen years of age. Deirdre grew like the white sapling, straight and trim as the rash on the moss. She was the creature of fairest form, of loveliest aspect, and of gentlest nature that existed between earth and heaven in all Ireland—whatever colour of hue she had before, there was nobody that looked into her face but she would blush fiery red over it.

The woman that had charge of her gave Deirdre every information and skill of which she herself had knowledge and skill. There was not a blade of grass growing from root, nor a bird singing in the wood, nor a star shining from heaven but Deirdre had a name for it. But one thing, she did not wish her to have either part or parley with any single living man of the rest of the world. But on a gloomy winter night, with black, scowling clouds, a hunter of game was wearily traveling the hills, and what happened but that he missed the trail of the hunt, and lost his course and companions. Drowsiness came upon the man as he wearily wandered over the hills, and he lay down by the side of the beautiful green knoll in which Deirdre lived, and he slept. The man was faint from hunger and wandering, and benumbed with cold, and a deep sleep fell upon him. When he lay down beside the green hill where Deirdre was, a troubled dream came to the man, and he thought that he enjoyed the warmth of a fairy broch, the fairies being inside playing music. The hunter shouted out in his dream, if there was any one in the broch, to let him in for the Holy One's sake. Deirdre heard the voice and said to her foster-mother: "O foster-mother, what cry is that?"

"It is nothing at all, Deirdre—merely the birds of the air astray and seeking each other. But let them go past to the bosky glade. There is no shelter or house for them here."

"Oh, foster-mother, the bird asked to get inside for the sake of the God of the Elements, and you yourself tell me that anything that is asked in His name we ought to do. If you will not allow the bird that is being benumbed with cold, and done to death with hunger, to be let in, I do not think much of your language or your faith. But since I give credence to your language and to your faith, which you taught me, I will myself let in the bird." And Deirdre arose and drew the bolt from the leaf of the door, and she let in the hunter. She placed a seat in the place for sitting, food in the place for eating, and drink in the place for drinking for the man who came to the house.

"Oh, for this life and raiment, you man that came in, keep restraint on your tongue!" said the old woman. "It is not a great thing for you to keep your mouth shut and your tongue quiet when you get a home and shelter of a hearth on a gloomy winter's night."

"Well," said the hunter, "I may do that—keep my mouth shut and my tongue quiet, since I came to the house and received hospitality from you; but by the hand of thy father and grandfather, and by your own two hands, if some other of the people of the world saw this beauteous creature you have here hid away, they would not long leave her with you, I swear."

"What men are these you refer to?" said Deirdre.

"Well, I will tell you, young woman," said the hunter. "They are Naoise, son of Uisnech, and Allen and Arden his two brothers."

"What like are these men when seen, if we were to see them?" said Deirdre.

"Why, the aspect and form of the men when seen are these," said the hunter: "they have the colour of the raven on their hair, their skin like swan on the wave in whiteness, and their cheeks as the blood of the brindled red calf, and their speed and their leap are those of the salmon of the torrent and the deer of the grey mountain side. And Naoise is head and shoulders over the rest of the people of Erin."

"However they are," said the nurse, "be you off from here and take another road. And, King of Light and Sun! In good sooth and certainty, little are my thanks for yourself or for her that let you in!"

The hunter went away, and went straight to the palace of King Connachar. He sent word in to the king that he wished to speak to him if he pleased. The king answered the message and came out to speak to the man. "What is the reason of your journey?" said the king to the hunter.

"I have only to tell you, O king," said the hunter, "that I saw the fairest creature that ever was born in Erin, and I came to tell you of it."

"Who is this beauty and where is she to be seen, when she was not seen before till you saw her, if you did see her?"

"Well, I did see her," said the hunter. "But, if I did, no man else can see her unless he get directions from me as to where she is dwelling."

"And will you direct me to where she dwells? And the reward of your directing me will be as good as the reward of your message," said the king.

"Well, I will direct you, O king, although it is likely that this will not be what they want," said the hunter.

Connachar, King of Ulster, sent for his nearest kinsmen, and he told them of his intent. Though early rose the song of the birds mid the rocky caves and the music of the birds in the grove, earlier than that did Connachar, King of Ulster, arise, with his little troop of dear friends, in the delightful twilight of the fresh and gentle May; the dew was heavy on each bush and flower and stem, as they went to bring Deirdre forth from the green knoll where she stayed. Many a youth was there who had a lithe leaping and lissome step when they started whose step was faint, failing, and faltering when they reached the bothy on account of the length of the way and roughness of the road.

"Yonder, now, down in the bottom of the glen is the bothy where the woman dwells, but I will not go nearer than this to the old woman," said the hunter.

123456...8