As It Seems Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You know you're not really part of the family until you fight with Alley." he said easily, exhaling the drag he took from his own cigarette. Connor let out a burst of laughter; it was more from relief than anything being funny.

"So I'm not the only motherfucker huh?"

"Man fuck no! You know when I first met Alexa if we got with in six feet of each other we'd spit and snarl, I'm Gauge by the way." He offered his hand, and Connor took it.

"Connor," he replied easily, feeling the calming affects of his smoke and easy company.

"If you tell anyone this I'll deny it, But Alley is one scary broad. Once me and Bella-"

"Bella?" Connor looked towards the house that had to be the cute little girl who jumped between them. Gauge confirmed it and Connor noted the softness he took on as he talked about her.

"Anyway any time we go out with Alexa there is a fight, the first time I called myself trying to stop some asshole from dragging her out of the club. I was all the way on the other side; right? So…" Gauge's eyes were bright with humor and his hands were animated while he told Connor how Alexa walked away from the Asshole and he grabbed her bringing her back and she flipped him over her shoulder and broke his hand. Connor winced recalling last night, he admitted to himself he was more than a little sore.

After the story they were both wiping tears from their eyes, but soon Gauge's eyes turned serious. "I won't ask you what the fight was about, but I'll tell you that Alexa is a cool chick once you give her chance. She only fights for what she cares about. She hasn't been the same since her arm was broken…I know she's tough and fuckin' scary as hell but…just give her a chance." Gauges put out his smoke and pat Connor on the back before going inside. There was a glint in Gauge's eye, "Just so you know if I thought you hurt her I'd rip your fucking throat out." He said it so easily and with such a genuine smile Connor believed him, which somehow made him like Gauge more.

Gauge's words swirled in his mind like the smoke from his cigarette. Fuckin' Alexa! He thought. He didn't understand the effect she had on him and he didn't want to, he just wanted his pre-Alexa life back, fuck he's settle for having a life.

Alexa sat on the bed next to Daniel and Clara. Daniel was holding Clara close petting her head telling her it was alright, his face chubby little boy cheeks were stained red.

"C'mere," she said softly to both of them. She cradled them close Clara on her lap hiding her cherub face in Alexa's breast and Daniel holding her waist staring at the wall. "I'm sorry you guys heard me and Con-your uncle fighting. I know it was probably scary, but sometimes grown ups-well sometimes grown-ups are silly and yell at each other when we can't agree."

"I'm sorry Alley; I didn't mean to get you in trouble with Uncle Nathan."

"No, honey it wasn't-" she sighed she needed to figure out to get along with Connor, at least in front of the kids, " you have nothing to be sorry about. C'mon let's go downstairs Gauge and Bella are here, let's see if we can get Gauge to make us some waffles!" Alexa laughed when the kids jumped up perking at the thought of breakfast, like the last twenty minutes never happened.

Alexa pulled out her cell phone starting her morning ritual. "Hey, Dad it's me, I was just calling to let you know I'm awake and I don't have any plans for the day, I haven't dressed yet and Gauge, Janabelle and jenny's brother Co-Nathan are here. Umm I guess I'll talk to you later on today, love you papa bye." Okay that was done. She debated changing out of her sleep clothes but she was just going to take a shower when Janabelle was finished with her anyway, so she just put on a jean skirt under her sleeping shirt.

She could already smell the batter for waffles. "Okay folks I'm taking requests," Gauge said with his usual boyish smile as he wiped his hands on a dish rag. Somehow she and Connor were able to keep the peace during breakfast, mostly because they didn't talk to each other. But Gauge and Bella both noticed the looks they shot when they thought the other wasn't looking. Bella nudged Gauge's ribs when Alexa was reaching for a glass high in the cabinet; she nodded her head in Connor's direction. He was watching the steady climb of Alexa's skirt up her thighs, before he got up to reach it for her.

Alexa's breath caught as she felt the heat of Connor's body pressing against her. His gaze penetrated her; his breath caressed her ear making her lean back into him. Being this close to him shouldn't be so comforting, shouldn't be so right. Maybe if she felt like this for Marcus…

He felt her body relax then tense against him. He wondered what she was thinking when he saw the flash of hurt and uncertainty darken her eyes.

"Thank you," she murmured clutching the glass he offered and ducking away. He reached out a hand to her then pulled it away, he turned leaning his back against the sink watching her interact with her friends and the kids. She was completely different. Laughing, loving, tender, she wiped Clara's face and hands, she kissed Daniel's cheek and gave him a hug every once in a while calling him teddy bear. His eyebrows rose at the nick name but he didn't want to question it; worried it would cause yet another argument.

"You can go now, I can handle the kids by myself." She dismissed him easily.

"What?" He frowned shaking his thoughts from his head.

"I said you can go. I'm sure you have other stuff to do." Gauge and Bella sighed pulling the kids with them into the living room.

"You're dismissing me?" He scoffed folding his arms across your chest.

"No," she said evenly crossing her own arms, "It's just obvious family isn't your first priority, and I'm also sure the last thing you want is play uncle to your estranged niece and nephew." She didn't mean it to come out like that, she really did try to start off nice but it just didn't happen that way.

"So tell me Alexa," he smiled dangerously, slinking towards her with false calm she didn't like the way he said her name just then, like he knew every desire she was afraid to admit she had for him. She saw the coolness of his eyes and shivered "what else could I be doing?" he was leaning down nose to nose. She wasn't going to let him know how his closeness affected her. She met his gaze.

"Is my car ready yet?"

"No"

"Maybe you should go and fix it." She put her hands on his chest to push him away, but he held them to him.

"The parts aren't in," he leaned his lips a breath away his voice a gentle whisper. Her breathing quickened as she tried to pull away, she couldn't he held her firm.

"Fix it anyway," he laughed his lips curving into the sexiest smile, she knew how absurd she sounded but she didn't care she wanted him to go away, wanted this feeling of need to go away.

"Why do you really want me to leave…Alley?" The sound of her nickname sounded foreign and sinister on his lips.

"I-I don't I just know you have other-"he pulled her closer his lips brushing against hers pulling out a strangled moan. His mouth touched the very edge of hers. "Don't." she whispered, making a lie of her protest turning into his lips. He held himself steady not wanting to lean in. She had to want this; she had to set the tone. Her hands gripped his jacket, holding on to him like he was the only one that could save her from drowning. His arms wrapped around her pulling her closer, crushing her to him. Her mouth was curious over his, playing with different pressures, her tongue shy and tentative exploring his mouth. She jumped pulling away almost falling if he didn't catch her when his phone vibrated angrily in his pocket. She stared wide eyed then looked away, jumping when he reached out to her.

"Connor," he murmured still lost to her. He eyed her while he listened on the other end, his eyes narrowing then looking away.

"Yeah, I can do that, yeah I leave the shop early on Saturdays…yeah the weekend mechanic came back…kay man thanks bye."

Alexa watched him cautiously before turning her back to him. "Th-that sounded important…you should go." Her voice trembled with overwhelming emotion. What possessed her to kiss him, especially after last night; after he-her head hung lower in confusion and frustration. She spent the entire night worrying about how to face him, how to get around him and here she was in the exact same situation. Okay maybe not the exact same…

He saw the battle in her eyes he saw the memory of last night taint her skin the sweetest rose. He trapped her between the sink, his arms on either side of her peering close. He swore he could hear her heart race and blood flow.

He was going to reach for her again but stopped himself when she edged away. Connor was struck by the beauty of her vulnerability; by the violence and passion in her. Even if he wanted to go to her, touch her…kiss her; he couldn't he was trapped by her.

"Alley, are you ready?" Janabelle's softness filtered through the tension offering silent comfort for each of them.

"Will you tell Jerome hello, for me?" Bella asked easily. She was good; he almost didn't know that she was brushing him off.

"Sure, I might be late getting back…there's some stuff I gotta take care of-" he was talking more to Bella, since he was sure both Bella and Gauge would be here when he got back.

Alexa snorted, "I bet." She folded her arms across her chest and shaking her head smiling bitterly.

"Are we going to start that shit again?" He demanded folding his own arms.

"Children!" Bella laughed giving Connor a hug while pushing him out the door.

"Bye Bells," he said laughing himself, her laughter was as contagious as Alexa's anger. No wonder Gauge was in love with her. He thought as she kissed his cheek and told him to be careful. Why couldn't Alexa be like that?

Connor cursed himself for getting distracted. Didn't he have enough on his plate without adding this shit? He revved his bike the loud rolling purr helping drown his thoughts. It was time to play. He thought losing the fight against taking one last look back at the house. He shook his head clearing his thoughts. He had to forget about everything over the passed few days and focus on Melendez, he knew he was on his way up the chain, he couldn't blow it too much time had been wasted already and too many people depended on him.

Alexa stared at her wrist on the table preparing herself for all of Bella's probing, physical and mental. She heard Bella wetting and heating towels. She didn't look up when she sat in front of her holding her hands out for Alexa.

She winced sucking in a deep breath as Bella wrapped her wrist in the hot cloth. She knew it was coming but she still stiffened when Bella asked "So what was that about?"

Alexa shrugged and hissed as Bella massaged oil into her skin, fuck that hurt! It was worse than the other day when Connor grabbed her.

"What was what about?" she asked vaguely fidgeting in her seat as flashing pain made her voice tremble with tears. She fought the urge to pull away.

Janabelle studied her long and hard as her hands kneaded Alexa's arm in deep petrisage movements. "Alexa-"

"What? Nothing is going on with me and Connor." She turned her face away pulling her arm out of Bella's grasp. Bella pulled it back used to this tug of war, if she saw Marcus again…Bella wouldn't let herself finish the thought, she couldn't let herself get angry while doing this. She was feeling for disfigurements and abnormal growths.

"I didn't say anything about Connor." She said with a sly smile.

Alexa glared at her, "You didn't have to."

"Fine if you don't want to talk-"

"But we do need to talk," Alexa's voice was soft and strained as the massage went deeper. She could feel it penetrate the weakened bone. She met Bella's guarded black gaze. "What happened to you last night?"

"Nothing," she shrugged getting up to wet and heat another wet towel.

"Belle…" alexa bit her lip wondering if she should say what was on her mind, Janabelle paused but didn't look back. She could feel Alexa's struggle.

"Just say it."

"You know if you need help…some place to stay-"

"I know what you're thinking but it had nothing to do with me asking for help." Her voice was a breathless agitated whisper.

"No it's about you trying to solve everyone else's problems so you can ignore your own. It's about you putting yourself at risk out of some twisted obligation-"

"Don't-"Bella's voice was raspy and heavy

"You can't hold back your life to take care of him. He's had his chance to make something of himself, he's had his chance to live and make his mistakes-"

"Stop-"

"I would if I didn't love you-"

"Bullshit!" Belle snorted through her tears, "you are doing the same thing avoiding your own problems trying to solve mine; you don't how I feel no one scooped me up and came to my rescue." Janabelle couldn't believe the words even as they came out of her mouth. She turned to look at Alexa and instantly felt sorry.

Alexa smiled sadly, she knew she was lucky. If papa Joe hadn't found her hiding in her mother's closet she shuddered at the thought of what that asshole would have done to her.

"Alexa-I didn't-"

"It's okay, your right, I'm lucky-but so are you. Help didn't come as early for you but it came and it's here, you just have to take it." Alexa got up hugging Janabelle, "it's okay if you don't want to talk I just wish you had a little more faith in your friends." She said before heading upstairs, "I'm going to take a shower."

"You know I have to massage it again later you should probably wear your brace for a little while."

"Yeah I know," she nodded smiling sadly. She knew her arm wasn't going to get any better any time soon. It was a strange time to make her peace with it. Maybe she should stay with her Mommy H until she could figure herself out, and she could give her apartment to Janabelle. She might take it if she thought she was doing Alexa a favor.

It could work she thought as she tried to ignore the shooting pain running up her shoulder and down her back. Mommy H was a nurse so she could help her with her arm. The only catch was Alexa had to tell her about it which meant she'd have to tell her Dad too…Oh god how was she going to explain hiding something like that.

Papa was a reasonable logical man except when it came to his princess. He became…well there were no words other than psycho at the thought of her hurt or getting hurt. Mommy H usually had to step in and calm him down.

Gauge glared at Bella from the kitchen door. He had the kids playing with some toys in the living room and he caught the end of Bella and Alexa's argument. He couldn't believe she was taking her anger at him out on Alexa. He waited all morning to talk to her, about last night, about them; he wasn't going to let her keep avoiding the truth.

"That was unfair-" he said trapping her in the same place Connor had Alexa before. Bella jumped feeling Gauge so close. She could hear the whisper of anger in his voice.

``````

"Hey man," Jerome bellowed over the growl of Connor's bike.

"S'up," he mumbled shaking the man's hand.

"You know you didn't have to work today?" Jerome gave him a pat on the back as they walked.

"I know, but I wanted to see if the parts came for Alexa's car. Plus it was on my way to meet up with Mackey."

"Cool…so how's it coming? Alexa's car I mean." Although Jerome was the way into Melendez he didn't want to know any of the dealings. He wanted his shop to stay clean and try as he might most young dudes now days wanted a more tangible income than a mechanic's salary. If they asked him he'd tell them who to meet, but he was clear about keeping that "trash" away from his shop.

"Okay," he shrugged opening a box that had the air intake valve he tore plus some other parts but not all of them. Some could wait; he could get her car to her today or tomorrow then have her come back when the other stuff came in.

"You taking good care of my girl?" Jerome asked in a laugh. He glanced back at him. He should probably tell him, now was as good a time as any but first…

"So how long have you known Alexa?" He asked writing some notes trying not sound too interested.

"Ah fuck man about three years its going on now." He said rubbing his beard growth. As Connor thought how to get more Jerome sighed. "That girl is my heart." He thumped his chest with his thumb. Connor's heart started to sink; he started to let himself think that maybe he was wrong about her. "She's like the daughter me and Wanda always wanted-"

"Daughter?"

"Yeah man her and Janabelle one day I'm gonna have to get her little midget behind over here-"

"I already met her." He knew he had to tell Jerome about him and Alexa.

"Really did she come by for Alexa or I know she doesn't have a car anymore?"

"No I met her today at my sister's house…My sister is married to Alexa's brother."

"For reals? No stuff?" Jerome howled a laugh so loud Connor jumped. "Man I just can't picture that. Ahh man!" Jerome wiped tears form his eyes.

"You said she was like a daughter?"

"Both of'em. Here look at this." Jerome pulled a picture out of his wallet. Connor looked catching himself smiling at an Alexa and Bella both sporting boy haircuts smiling and hugging a woman who looked like she was on the thresh hold of deaths door. It looked just like Wanda. The trio was sitting on a hospital bed Alexa and Jana on either side of the bed each holding wigs with the Wanda's living corpse in the middle.

He heard Jerome sniff and Connor glanced up in time to see Jerome wiping away a tear. "Remember I told you Wanda used to own a Beauty shop? Anyway she closed it when we found she had the cancer. It took over fast and she lost her hair-"Jerome paused sniffing again, the pain of that hardship cracking through his usual good humor. His dark brown eyes were watery with the fear, reliving the uncertainty of the time. Connor felt he was imposing on the memory but curiosity held him place as he studied Jerome. He could see the lines Wanda's sickness etched in his skin. Jerome smiled sadly," What's a hair stylist without hair?" he asked with a bitterness that surprised Connor. "You know that was the hardest part for her losing her hair. I was worried about her dying and she was worried about bein' bald headed, Alexa threatened to shave her own head if Wanda didn't stop bitching." His eyes lit and Connor found himself smiling imagining Alexa bald but found it sounding like something she'd say, "Wanda cussed her out so bad Bella had to step in, the next week Wanda had to be hospitalized," his voice started to shake, "Alexa and Janabelle came to visit wearing these fucking ugly berets, Wanda thought Alexa shaved her head and talked Jana into doing the same. She went wild, Jana calmed her down-I still don't know how but she did." Connor closed his eyes leaning heavy on Jerome's desk, he wasn't sure he wanted to hear the rest. He wasn't sure if he really wanted to see what people told him about Alexa. He didn't want to think that his anger and frustration tunneled his vision. He didn't like her because she reminded of the life he chose.

"When they took off those fugly hats..." Jerome was between a laugh and a choking sob "they gave her a box that held those two wigs. They-they cut off all that beautiful hair…"He shook his head smiling and gazing at Connor with glossy eyes as his voice trailed off. "Those girls are something fucking else. Her fucking family didn't lift one goddamn finger to help her." Jerome's easy smile turned hard as he pointed in Shanae's direction outside the office. "Alexa even got her mom to help Wanda out at home cause she's a nurse and all…I'll do anything for those folks, even put my life at risk." Connor didn't understand his words as he gave a level even look, but he knew there was something more he was saying, though the last sounded more like he was talking to himself.