Ask Me Why

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Laura watched Jack's face soften as he listened to Kansas. He was unable to hide his smile as he listened to his daughter. She felt a pang of jealousy at the obvious love he held for her.

"I guess I could, but I'd need at least one adult present at all times. That isn't negotiable," insisted Jack.

"Kansas told us you'd want an adult. I've already promised the girls I'd chaperone the instruction. Would it be okay if I worked out with the girls," requested Laura.

"Some of us moms would like to take advantage of the situation, of you don't mind. I doubt I'd ever be able to do what Kansas does, but I could use any improvement I might get," stated a slightly overweight woman with red hair.

"We'll start tomorrow. I'll bring a change clothes with me. I suggest you all dress appropriately for yoga. I'll gear my instruction for the girls. They're young and athletic, so they'll probably progress faster. The moms shouldn't be discouraged if the kids pick it up faster," cautioned Jack.

Jack never managed to get out of the yoga instructions in less than an hour. The girls were already athletic and worked hard to gain the grace and strength Kansas displayed. Three single mothers showed up faithfully. Laura had no doubt why they were so interested. The low, tight tops and tight yoga pants created visions few men could ignore.

For his part, Jack enjoyed working with the girls. He learned their names. He knew many of their families since he had grown up in Stone Ridge. He was pleased at how seriously they took his instruction.

Laura was a different matter. She always dressed more conservatively than the three mothers, but she looked amazing. She was very fit and surprisingly strong. She was able to learn many of the positions as well as the girls, and better than a couple of them. She wasn't clingy or apologetic. She was always friendly, yet professional.

It was before the third game against a local rival when the girls broke out their pre-game stretching routine. Kansas brought a Bluetooth speaker and played music as she led her team in their workout. The players and fans from the other school stopped to watch in obvious surprise.

The girls were delighted their routine had the desired effect. They went on to score a decisive victory over their opponent. After the game, Kansas approached Laura as her teammates grouped around her.

"Coach, have you ever considered entering the Harper Soccer Tournament?" began Kansas. "They have different age groups competing. Our team fits perfectly into the 12-14 group. I think we could win it, or at least do pretty good."

"I know about that tournament. Other coaches have mentioned it at seminars and training sessions," admitted Laura. "I understand the competing teams are composed of the best players from several schools. The competition is intense. There's also a matter of an entry fee. I think it's $500 per team with the proceeds benefitting the woman's shelter in Harper. I'm certain the school board would never approve that sort of expenditure."

"Would you be willing to coach us if we went independently of the school and the entry fee was donated by a local business?" asked a very serious Kansas.

Laura looked at Kansas and then the other girls. It was apparent they wanted to go to the tournament, and they wanted her to coach them when they did.

"You understand the competition would be much tougher than the teams we play in our league, don't you? Every game would be pretty much against an all-star squad," pointed out Laura.

"Coach, I played in that tournament last year," asserted Kansas. "I was on a traveling team. We won two games and they were incredible. We lost the third game by one goal to the team that wound up winning the tournament. I know our team's good enough to play with them. We just need a good coach to make it work."

"It sounds like you've looked into this already. Did you say you have a sponsor lined up?" asked Laura.

"Yeah, I already talked to a local business about it. They're willing to front the entry fee and pay for motel rooms for the entire team and coaches. It's on the long Columbus Day weekend. The championship games are played on Monday, so we'll be there three nights."

Laura felt her appreciation, and even admiration for the lovely blonde girl increase as she listened to Kansas make her argument. She planned on playing in the finals! Laura felt tremendous pride in the group of girls standing before her. They simply didn't have the horses to play the caliber opponents they were likely to meet, but Laura would never tell that to her girls.

"Let's do it!" agreed Laura with enthusiasm. "There's no better way to improve than to play against the best. Tell me what I need to do and I'll get it done.

"Thanks, Coach!" yelled the excited girls in unison.

"Here's the website. I wrote down your user name and password. You have to get on the site and enter us by midnight. They need one more team to have a total of 16, which is perfect for a single elimination tournament," explained Kansas. "The entry fee's been paid."

"Wow! You sure have things under control" replied Laura with a chuckle.

"Our team name is Ridge Runners," revealed Kansas. "We'll have shirts with our names on the back and the team name on the front. This is going to be so much fun!"

"Is Jack sponsoring the team" asked Laura once she was alone with Kansas.

"Our sponsor chooses to remain anonymous," replied Kansas with a big smile. "I can give you a hint. Our sponsor insisted you agree to coach us or the deal was off. For some reason, said sponsor thinks you do a great job as a coach and as a role model for us impressionable girls."

"That would leave Jack out then, wouldn't it?" joked Laura.

"Don't underestimate Dad," cautioned Kansas. "He keeps a close watch on things. He wants the best for me, and for the rest of the team."

Less than two weeks later, Kansas led her team in warm-up exercises on a sunny Saturday morning as they prepared for their first game. A surprisingly large contingent from Stone Ridge had made the journey to support the team.

Jack beamed as Kansas kept the girls smiling and laughing as they prepared for their first match. He noticed the other team watched the warm-ups closely. By this time, the girls were able to go through the stretches and poses more or less in unison and it was impressive to watch.

The match began with the other team scoring a goal within a minute of play. Two minutes later, the same girl scored again. Laura was concerned about her team's ability to come back from a deficit. They had not trailed in a game all season while winning six. A short time later, play stopped as an opposing player was helped off the field with a sprained ankle.

Laura called Kansas off the field and sent in her replacement. "Do you see what's happening out there? We need to stop that girl from scoring! She's playing all over the field. I want pressure on her when she gets near the ball. Be sure the girls know to stay after her. I think she's their best player. We stop her and we can win this."

The Ridge Runners settled down after that. They managed to keep the other team's best player from getting a decent shot at the goal. The half ended with Ridge Runners down by two goals.

"Girls, you all know how I try to stress team play. They know Kansas is our best scorer and they've hounded her the entire half," pointed out Laura. "We really need the rest of you to step up. When Kansas moves to one side, pass the ball to the other side. They're concentrating totally on Kansas. Take some hard shots at goal. Their goalie's only had to block a few marshmallows! Make her work!"

Ridge Runners came out for the second half with a much more aggressive attitude. The girls began bombarding the goalie and scored twice with follow up shots on rebounds after the goalie made a save.

With less than a minute left in the game, Kansas made her first goal of the game to put the Ridge Runners up by one. It was the final goal of the game. The Ridge Runners had advanced to the next round!

The girls were ecstatic. They hugged each other and Laura before embracing their fans. Laura saw Jack sweep Kansas up in a bear hug. When he placed Kansas down, one of the team mothers wrapped her arms around him and kissed him soundly on the cheek.

Laura was slightly miffed but realized she nothing about which to complain. She was turning to speak to a parent when she felt strong hands swing her around. Suddenly she was in Jack's arms! It had been almost seven years since she had enjoyed that simple pleasure. The Jack she was now clinging to was like a piece of steel. She was not a small woman but Jack swung her off her feet effortlessly.

"That was some great coaching!" praised Jack. "Kansas told me what a good job you did. Thanks for doing this, and for treating the girls so well."

"Thank you for sponsoring us and renting the rooms," responded Laura as Jack held her. "Some of the girls could never have afforded the trip and the rooms. It was very generous of you."

"I'll do about anything to see Kansas happy," admitted Jack. "I never knew how deeply a man could feel about his daughter. She makes me feel alive.

"She wanted the other girls to have this experience. She loved it last year and she feels this is a better team. She also thinks you're a much better coach," added Jack.

"Dad?" broke in Kansas. "You've got a death grip on our coach. Unless you want me to start calling her Coach Mom, you probably should put her down so the rest of us can hug her."

"Oh! I'm sorry, Laura," apologized Jack as he carefully returned Laura to her feet. "I got a little carried away."

"I don't think she minded all that much," wisecracked Kansas as Laura blushed crimson. "You know you already have a room."

"I understand her mother had the same sense of humor," explained Jack as he turned to glare at Kansas.

The entire team and most of their fans stayed to watch the next game. They'd be facing the winner of the game the following day. Laura wanted her kids to learn as much about their style of play as possible. She knew they'd have to play their best to even have a chance at winning.

Kansas sparkled as she led her team to a 5-3 win the next morning. She scored three of her team's goals. The other team was unable to contain her speed and precision foot work. The win allowed the Ridge Runners to advance to the semifinals, which were played that afternoon.

As it turned out, the semifinal game was against the traveling team Kansas had played with the previous year. Before the game, Kansas chatted briefly with the girls on the other team. It was obvious to the Ridge Runners and their fans that Kansas was well liked by her former teammates.

It was also quite apparent Jack Masterson was popular with the team members, as well as the adults who supported the team, especially the mothers. The field had bleachers on only one side, so supporters of both teams were sprinkled throughout. More than a few moms took the time to hug Jack and wish him well.

Near the end of the game, Laura and the others saw a different side of Jack's nature. The tournament was a fund raiser. It had always used local high school girls who played soccer for their school to officiate. Parents and coaches understood that while the girls received some compensation for their efforts, they were far from professional.

It was a tied game when one of the officials called the ball out of bounds and mistakenly awarded the ball to the Ridge Runners' opponent to bring inbounds. A large man in his early thirties suddenly marched onto the playing field. Play stopped as the man loudly berated the girl.

Both teams watched in stunned amazement as the man continued to shout threats and obscenities at the teen girl who had made the bad call. Laura was working her way toward the man when she saw the poor girl suddenly break into tears, run a few feet to the sideline and wrap her arms around Jack.

Jack held her to his chest as the girl sobbed uncontrollably. That was when a woman in the stands make a declaration everyone in the now silent stands clearly heard.

"Jack Masterson is going to kick that guy's ass!"

Apparently the brutish man heard the statement as well. He moved closer and spoke to Jack. "I may have gotten a little carried away. I didn't mean anything by it."

"Apologize to Macey and then get the hell out of here," snarled Jack as he patted the girl's back. "These kids are doing a fantastic job. They deserve our thanks and appreciation. They sure as hell don't need some damn bully demeaning them!"

The man mulled over Jack's words and again a female voice from the bleachers carried across the field. "You'd better take Jack up on his offer, Asshole! He's this close to beating you like a rented mule!"

Laura managed to locate the woman who voiced so much faith in Jack's ability to handle the large man. She was a small blonde woman in her forties and dressed in jeans and a cotton shirt. Laura realized she had seen the woman offering a drink earlier to the girl clinging so desperately to Jack. She was probably the girl's mother.

The big man reached a decision. "I apologize, Miss. I was out of line. You girls are doing a good job officiating." With that statement, the man turned and headed for the parking lot.

Everyone watched as the girl in Jack's arms gradually regained her composure. Jack found a tissue in his pocket and offered it to her. The girl smiled up at him, wiped her eyes before standing on her tiptoes and kissing Jack's cheek.

"Thanks, Jack. I knew you'd stop that awful man," praised the girl. "Mom was right about you being ready to kick his ass. I could feel how tense you were. I'm just glad he didn't make you."

The girl turned and trotted back onto the field as fans and players clapped and cheered in support. Once the cheering stopped, the officials gathered to discuss how much time was left and who had the ball once play resumed.

"Macey went to Jack's dojo last year," explained her mother as she correctly read the questioning looks of the other fans. "She thinks Jack hung the moon, and I sure can't argue the point. No one can abuse a woman when Jack's in the area. He simply won't allow it."

"Rick Jefferson is a pretty big guy. He's known to be willing to fight. I was afraid he'd hurt Jack," stated a mother of one of the Ridge Runners.

"Jack Masterson?" asked Macey's mother in surprise. "Have you ever seen him compete? I'm here to tell you Jack would've handed that guy his ass!"

Play finally resumed once the officials, with the help of the adults running the tournament, sorted out the situation. With less than a minute left, Kansas promptly swiped the ball and fed a long pass to a teammate racing down the sidelines. The girl hammered the ball into the corner of the net, scoring what turned out to be the winning goal.

Once the game was over, Kansas embraced most of the members of the losing team. Jack was extremely proud of her sportsmanship.

Macey's mother had made her way down to where Jack stood and hugged him every bit as tightly as her daughter had. "Macey, knew she could count on you. She really looks up to you, Jack. Her school work's improved and she's going to a state college next fall. She wants to become a teacher. You really put her on the right path last year."

"Why was Rick Jefferson here, anyway?" asked one of the Ridge Runner fathers.

"Sarah is his niece. She's the girl who scored the winning goal," responded the man's wife. "She must be pretty embarrassed."

The championship game was scheduled for the next morning. It was Columbus Day and schools were closed for the holiday. An awards ceremony was planned to take place immediately after the game.

The Ridge Runners' opponents had easily defeated the three teams they had faced to reach the finals. The team was deep in talent and well coached. The fans from Stone Ridge watched as their girls raised their level of play in a very fast paced game. Down by a goal with less than three minutes, Kansas's teammate managed to deflect a pass by the other team. Kansas swept in, out raced everyone to the goal and she powered the ball past the outstretched arms of the goalie to tie the game!

Stone Ridge fans erupted in appreciation of Kansas's effort. Their cheers echoed across the field. The other team merely took their positions and prepared to resume play. The Ridge Runners gave everything they had but their opponent proved to be deep in talent as they managed to score with only seconds remaining. The Ridge Runners were unable to mount an attack in the short time left and lost the game by a goal.

Laura watched in pride as her girls hugged and congratulated each other as well as the winning team. The parents and fans of the girls moved onto the field to voice their pride in the effort their kids had made.

It was only a few minutes before the awards ceremony was held. The players and fans of the Ridge Runners cheered long and loudly as Laura stepped up to accept the second place trophy. The best player from the winning team accepted the tournament MVP. Kansas was called to the front to receive the sportsmanship trophy, which she proudly displayed to her team and fans as she held in over her head and smiled broadly.

Once the ceremony was over and Kansas had accepted congratulations from Jack, she asked if she could ride home in a van with several other girls. Once Jack spoke to the parents and confirmed they had room and were responsible drivers, he agreed to her request.

As he watched the van in which Kansas was riding pull out of the parking lot, Jack felt a tug on his arm. "She's a delightful girl, Jack. You're doing a great job with her."

Laura had seen Jack watch Kansas leave and decided to speak to him. She felt even though they were divorced, they should be able to carry civil conversations. At least, Jack seemed to have forgiven her enough for that.

"I don't have a clue about raising a daughter," admitted Jack. "Females are a total mystery to me. You proved that."

Jack's remark stung Laura, but she refused to let it show. "Jack, I was wrong. I have no defense, or excuse. You were right to leave me. I know that. All I can ask is for us to be able to speak to each other now and then without insults and rancor."

"You're right, Laura. There's no reason for me to dredge up the past. You've done a great job coaching the girls. Kansas thinks your aces high. She knows you could have been petty and made her presence on the team unbearable, but you didn't. We're both grateful for that."

"I may have been a dumb bitch when we were married, but I don't think I was ever a vindictive bitch," stated Laura calmly. "I like Kansas a lot, and I hope to be friendly with her after the soccer season is over, if you'll allow it. If you're afraid my lack of judgment and morals will rub off on her, and you don't want me to be in contact, I'll understand."

"I'd like it if you remained interested in her," responded Jack. "I wasn't trying to imply you're an unsavory character. She needs a few adult female role models."

"You know I'm not a suitable role model for a teenage girl," replied Laura.

"You sure seem to be exactly that. Everything I've seen and heard about you is good," stated Jack.

"You forgot to add the qualifier, "since you've returned to Stone Ridge". We both know you saw and heard something before you left which cast me in a rather poor light, to say the least. I like to think I've learned from my mistakes."

"Your mom and dad are staring at us," observed Jack. "They look like the cat shit in their oatmeal."

"Yeah, that's on me. I just couldn't tell them why you left," confessed Laura. "Naturally, they blame you."

"They're good parents," replied Jack. "It's best you never told them. There'd be no upside in it for you, or them."