At the Woodchopper's Ball Bk. 01 Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The town and its surroundings are abundant with natural springs and mineral water streams. There are hot springs, cold springs, and quite possibly, springs with temperatures somewhere in between. Earnell, however, is best known for its Saline springs. The belief in the curative properties of the water hasn't completely dissipated. Many still came to take the water, though these days, for the most part, it is for recreational purposes. If it happens to help with some ailment or other, all the better.

As a consequence, the town offers a plethora of amenities related to bathing. Enide and I would spend hours at the heated lido where diluted brine is pumped from local streams and used to keep the pool aseptic. But, when the weather turned chilly, we would head to the Amery Road Bathhouse.

The building was considered one of Earnell's civic jewels, a flamboyant edifice where even the extravagantly tall chimney stack boasted intricate brickwork at its apex. While the exterior architecture is rightfully celebrated, the interior is no less exceptional. Vaulted ceilings span over the large swimming pools, held aloft on enormous, intricate wrought iron arches.

I exited the changing rooms ahead of the girls and stood in the bright sunlight hall where the larger of the two pools, the 'Gala' pool, was located. Once a childhood haunt, the enormous space now seemed smaller than I remembered as a young boy.

Making my way to a cluster of shower heads by the side of the pool, I hung my towel on a nearby brass rack. I had just stepped under the flow when Andra and Enide appeared from the ladies' changing room through an archway. Lost in conversation, they ambled towards the showers, unaware of my presence.

The sight of them caused me to mumble a few choice expletives under my breath. There could be no denying that this pair had grown up rather beautifully. Maybe there was something in the water after all.

In their swimming costumes, Enide and Andra's physical dissimilarities were readily apparent. There was the contrast in the tone of their skin — Enide's sun-kissed complexion was radiant and matched her honey-blond locks, while Andra's paler, creamy skin complemented her red hair perfectly. Their slender and athletic frames, honed by years of gymnastics and volleyball, were accentuated by a curvaceous aspect that each possessed. In Enide's case, her figure was more hourglass, defined by the flare of her hips and proportionately opulent thighs and flanks. By contrast, Andra's fuller, softer bosom was the focal point of her figure. Andra's hazel eyes were warm and inviting, while Enide's blue eyes shone with a cool radiance.

I know comparing the two was futile and rather crude. It was apparent to anyone with eyes that Enide and Andra were both achingly lovely. To compare the two was akin to comparing one rainbow to another. The only explanation I can offer is that my mind was preoccupied with thoughts of a decidedly lascivious nature.

Enide was only a few paces away when she finally noticed me standing under the cascade and halted abruptly, causing Andra to take notice of me also. Andra gave me a playful once-over, flashing a sly grin before giving Enide a subtle glance. Enide seemed to remain stunned for a moment longer before unclenching and continuing as if she hadn't broken her stride. She gave me a neutral smile and locked her gaze on mine as if issuing a challenge.

"Too late Eni," I thought to myself with puerile satisfaction. "I saw you look."

Andra sashayed under the shower head with an over-the-top sway of her hips. I grinned at her playful antics but Enide seemed to ignore her as she stood under the shower head beside me.

"Well... I for one am very glad that our ancient schools haven't lost their knack for churning out good-looking cavalry officers," Andra declared over the sound of flowing water. "I bet you look good in uniform," she purred mischievously.

I turned the tap off. I may have been dripping wet but my expression became as chilled steel, "Andra — I look splendid in a uniform," I declared with contrived seriousness.

Andra chuckled, "You know, earlier... I didn't want to come across as somehow anti-military —— "

"There's nothing wrong with a healthy disdain for the navy," I smirked.

Andra laughed and shook her head. "I was going to say... especially when they produce specimens like you."

The physique is a side effect of the years spent up at Fortunbrae. Those unfamiliar with the ethos of military schools are often surprised by what they put the cadets through, and by how rigorous the training can be. What I mean to say is that, while I don't want to sound conceited or full of myself, I am aware girls get a boost from seeing me shirtless. Still, it was more than a little gratifying to see Enide and Andra respond the way they did.

"Eni... what do you think?" Andra coaxed. "Doesn't Rody looks like one of those chaps from old military portraits?" she asked.

"Yes... he does," Enide replied glumly. "Just like Oviau."

This seemed to put a damper on Andra's mood. The girls continued to rinse without exchanging another word. Rather a shame I thought — I enjoyed being compared to noble soldiers in oil paintings.

During the early afternoon, the pool was usually uncrowded. There were just a handful of people present — no more than a dozen at most. We made our way to the pool's edge and took turns diving in, breaking the calm surface one after the other. Andra started at a rapid pace, appearing intent on putting in a few laps by herself. Enide and I proceeded at a more leisurely rate, swimming side by side.

"So... what is the story with Oviau?" I asked Enide.

Enide gave me a sideways glance. "Andra and her brother are close. Ovi wasn't sent off to boarding school like you were," she explained tersely. "He stayed here to go to university — at Braxa. It was only afterwards that he decided to join up. They miss him — Andra and her family. A military career wasn't what they had wanted for him."

"Well... service, duty and all that I suppose," I offered offhandedly.

"Yes... I suppose."

Andra passed us swimming in the opposite direction before Enide and I reached the end of the pool. When we got there, Enide grabbed onto the ledge and turned to face me.

"Look Rody... this might seem an odd thing to say, but ——" Enide hesitated, seemingly finding it hard to choose her words. "Don't fall for her will you — Andra I mean. She isn't ready for that kind of thing — not right now. She might seem fun and flirty but it's just a front. She has a lot on her mind."

"The business with Filor Kosnac you mean?" I wondered, recalling our conversation from yesterday.

Her voice grew surly, "Yes, well... him too — but not only." She looked at me with concern, "I'd hate to see you disappointed — or hurt."

"Right — thank you, Eni."

Enide smiled wanly, then turned and propelled herself forward against the tiled wall of the pool. I followed a moment later, swimming wordlessly beside her.

- - - - - - - -

12