Attack Decay Sustain Release

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Vivian's brow furrowed. "Myrna is.... the second oldest? What, seven years older than you are? Something like that?"

Lucia nodded. "I just felt really special. Like, I'd had a crush on him. I think he knew. He was a little older than Myrna. Anyway, he went out to his car after that and came back with a couple of Oxy pills."

Vivian waited patiently while Lucia's eyelids drooped a little.

"He finished before Myrna woke up, but we weren't, like, put back together. He was still half-naked, and I was completely naked. She threw him out, and then... there I was. Still there. And barely coherent. Myrna was always Dad's favorite, but after that... I was the scapegoat for, like, everything. I was the only one that didn't want to be a cop. I wanted to speak Spanish all the time. They wanted to completely forget that we're Mexican. I got picked up a couple times for dealing. My uncle was usually the one to bail me out, but I embarrassed them all.

"I moved in with Abuelita for a while." The corners of her lips curled into a smile. "Those were... the best years. I was in trouble a lot, but she was a troublemaker too. Everyone told me I was just like her. They meant it as an insult, but she was..."

Her eyes went distant again. "I used to think that they drove me to it, treating me like they did. I was a victim of circumstances, right?" She shook her head. "Truth is that, sometimes, I don't feel like I'm in control of myself. It's scary. An-and then there's all these consequences to deal with, and I just..." She slapped her hands together, stretching one arm out and making a pshhhewww sound.

"Is that why you don't call home?" Vivian asked.

Lucia went very still.

"I bet they'd want to hear from you. How long has it been?"

"There's nothing left for me there," Lucia said, her voice hoarse.

"What about your grandmother?"

"I left when she passed. Right after the funeral."

"And you've been up here ever since? On your own?"

Again, Lucia was very still.

Vivian got up after a moment, slipped into their rehearsal space, and picked up the good acoustic guitar. Her playing had improved somewhat, but mostly she didn't want to spend a few minutes tuning just then. Lucia stayed on her side, with her eyes heavy and low, as Vivian sat down on the edge of the bed and started playing. Her timing wasn't as good as it had been, yet, so the playing was a little jerky in spots, but that didn't seem to matter.

Vivian played her new song. It was the first song she'd ever written that was overtly sad, or meant to be played at any less than eleven on the volume dial. In her head the song was called Broken Angel, but she hadn't written that down anywhere nor did the phrase appear in the song.

Judging by her reaction, Lucia seemed to know it was about her. The more Vivian played the more Lucia curled in on herself, until she was just a weeping ball under the heavy blanket. She didn't say anything when Vivian stopped but she rolled over to be the little spoon when Vivian crawled back into bed.

***

"This is not punk rock," Lucia said sullenly, as she pushed the cart.

Vivian rolled her eyes, and ran her eyes over the shelves. "Do you see the bouillon cubes?"

Lucia shook her head, but she'd barely looked at all. "Is it over here?"

"No, that's all soups."

"Doesn't bouillon go in soup?"

Vivian twisted her lips, and took a longer look. "We just need to do this a few times, and it'll get less painful. Also, soup is extremely punk rock."

Lucia leaned to the side for a moment and fished her phone out of her pocket. When she looked down at her screen, her eyebrows started racing toward her hairline.

"What is it?"

"Uhm..."

Vivian stepped around beside her, and Lucia turned the phone so she could see.

Show 2nite. Coal Factory@7

Marcus still hurt

U in?

Lucia just blinked.

"Marcus... from Death Adder?"

Lucia nodded slowly.

"No," Vivian said. "No way."

"Viv—"

"Death Adder? Really?"

"This could be—"

Vivian grabbed Lucia's arm, and pulled her to the side of the aisle. "Have those guys ever played a show sober? Like, ever?"

"I'm sure they... I mean, they must have, right?"

"This is a bad idea," Vivian said, looking down at her phone and then back up. "Bad, bad idea."

"Viv, I don't know that I can afford to say no."

Vivian's entire body came to a complete stop. "I mean... If it's about money—"

Lucia interrupted her with a few vigorous waves of her hands. "That's not... No. We didn't raise that money for me. You can't."

Up and down the aisle, people who had been waiting to pass them started turning away. Whether it was out of embarrassment or impatience, Vivian couldn't say. "It's fine, okay? I'm ahead of schedule on my therapy, so the costs were lower than—"

"No! I don't need any handouts! Nothing happened to me that I didn't bring on myself, so stop trying to do this, okay?" Lucia looked around, and her head shrunk into her shoulders. "I've always been self-sufficient. Always. If I start relying on you..." She swallowed hard and shook her head. "God, if I let you use some of that money on me? No. Hell no."

"I know, but this is a bad time! You're, what, four days clean at this point?"

"I'm always gonna be an addict, Viv."

Vivian blinked. "You've never said that out loud."

The Latina ran her hands through her hair and sighed. "Don't make a big thing out of it, okay?"

Every inch of Vivian's body was insisting, loudly, that she make a big thing out of it. Instead, she just shuffled her toe into the linoleum and bit her lip. "It's still a bad time. You know that. It's... It's all very new, and-and Death Adder? Like, really? Something else will come up!"

"I can't be turning down gigs, okay? That's all I've got coming in right now, and the one thing, the one thing I've got going for me is that I can fill in for pretty much anyone. Whenever something happens, I'm the one they call. I... I need that to keep being true, okay? I need to be that person." She put her hands on her hips and took a step back, her face pinched in thought. "I mean, we're dead in the water, right?"

Vivian's stomach sank. "Wh-what do you mean?"

"Us. Insanity Hall. I mean, what are we doing? Are we broken up? Are we gonna audition to replace Kevin, or move on as a duo? What?" She cursed under her breath and looked down the aisle, refusing to make eye contact. "I didn't want to bring this up. Shit. I'm sorry. I'm not trying to rush you, I just... I mean, what are we doing?"

Vivian's voice cracked when she said, "I don't know."

"Are you leaving me alone in this? Am I all that's left?"

It felt like a knife in her stomach, and Vivian winced.

Lucia's face screwed into a tight frown, and she shook her head. "I shouldn't have said that. Shit. Shit." A fast, sharp breath. "What do you want to do? Like... like that song you wrote? Is that what you want to do now? Is that where you're at?"

"Sort of," Vivian said, her head hung low. "That, and... I don't know. Disco."

"Disco?"

"Yeah," Vivian said, picking up a little steam. "Something with energy! Something my nieces could dance to! I want to do... indie pop, and write clever lyrics! Catchy hooks! I wanna... do interesting covers of songs and... put em up on Youtube. I want to do a lot of things!"

They stared at each other for a long moment. A long, long moment.

"We can talk about that later," Vivian said. "Okay?"

Lucia nodded.

"What if I go with you? I mean, it's just a gig, right? No big deal if I'm there too."

This time, Lucia's nod was much more hesitant. "Okay."

***

Death Adder was a five piece unit, though only four of them were there when Lucia and Vivian came in through the side entrance. Their singer, Rasheeda, rushed over first with her arms held out.

"It's so good to see you two," she said excitedly. "Vivian, you look great! How are you feeling?"

Vivian gave a reluctant nod. "Been working on a lot of stuff. Good, I feel good."

"That's awesome!"

The others came over to join them, and Lucia handled most of the small talk.

"Where's Marcus?" Vivian asked, a minute later.

"Migraines," their bassist Angela said. "Real bad ones for, like, days now. He can barely open his eyes."

"That sucks," Lucia said.

"Yeah," Rasheeda added. "I was over at his place earlier, and anything more than a whisper was too much."

"How long has he had migraines for?" Vivian asked.

The band members looked at each other and shrugged, and it was their guitarist who said, "Dunno, but we've all been together, right? Eating the same foods. Stuff like that. I don't think it was anything we ate or whatever." She couldn't remember his name, but she could have picked out his gaunt features in a crowd of thousands.

"Just... one of those things, right?" Lucia said, and they all looked down for a moment and nodded together. All of them except Vivian.

"But hey," Rasheeda said, her enthusiasm resurging. "You're here! We really appreciate you stepping up!"

Lucia grinned, and the two of them shared an exchange somewhere between a high five and an arm wrestling match in mid-air. "Any time."

"We've got a couple new songs we were hoping to play, so I'm glad you got here early. I got a demo in the back so you can get a feel for what Marcus was doing. It's killer stuff."

The crowd moved into the back while their erstwhile roadie, a man who had helped Insanity Hall on more than a few occasions and whose name Vivian also could not recall, toiled away getting cables run and gear unpacked.

The backstage area at The Coal Factory had always been one of Vivian's favorites. The owners encouraged the bands that played there to leave their mark in whatever way inspired them, so there was a lot of haphazard destruction mixed with expansive art. The contrasts struck her as beautiful. The War Room, as it had been affectionately dubbed, had three of the rattiest, worn out couches she had ever seen. Those couches had endured a lot of action over the years, and Vivian thought it was strange to be walking through it again observing it like an outsider. She wasn't just seeing the room, she was seeing the collection of things.

And then she saw the eighteen bumps already cut and lined up on the one vaguely-clean surface.

"Luc," she said.

"Oh yeah!" Rasheeda smiled big and gave Vivian a finger gun. "When we heard you were tagging along, we pulled together for a little extra. A little 'welcome back', you know?"

"Luc, no."

Lucia gave her a very intense look, eyes wide, and shook her head. "Ixnay."

"Luc, no."

"Something wrong?"

"No," Lucia said, at the same time Vivian said, "Yes"

Then Vivian added, "She's going clean on that. No more coke."

The members of Death Adder all gave each other an uncomfortable look.

Vivian grabbed her shoulder, and turned Lucia to face her. "You don't need to do this, okay? This can all just be behind you. We can figure something else out, and move on from this. Completely."

"Maybe I can just play it," Lucia said, even as she stared sideways at the parallel lines of white powder.

Rasheeda again was the first to regain her exuberant composure. "You might wanna hear the demo first."

"Why would that matter?" Vivian asked. Her face felt hot. She wished her voice had carried even a piece of the anger she felt, but she knew her tone was still flat.

"I mean, no disrespect, but Marcus is an animal. This is some next level speed even for us, and the last time you filled in you were only just keeping up. The kick drums alone are a nightmare. For you guys, this'd be like..."

"Yeah," their guitarist chimed in. "You're probably gonna need the boost. I know I do."

Lucia froze, her shoulders hunched, as Vivian stepped in close to her. "You can't, okay?"

"Hey come on," Rasheeda said. "We're counting on her tonight. She's literally the only person who could step in and do this on this kind of notice!"

"You can't."

Lucia stared back at her and, for the first time in as long as Vivian had known her, she looked lost.

"We're leaving," Vivian said, as she took hold of Lucia's biceps.

The outcry behind her was instantaneous. They were in an uproar, shouting and pleading in turns, but Vivian listened to absolutely none of it. She put her head down and walked, with her friend in tow, back to their van while Death Adder went through all five stages of grief in their wake. She pushed Lucia into the passenger seat, shut the door, and gave their pursuers the finger before hopping into the driver's seat.

Her whole body was vibrating as she drove. It was hard to focus through the rage, and her body was an imperfect vessel for it. It didn't occur to her that it was her first time behind the wheel since the accident, and right away she felt a little jerky. There was nothing to be done, though, so she put her head down and did her best. Beside her, Lucia was quiet.

"I'm sorry," Vivian said, when she felt like she'd started to calm down. "I'm really sorry." Tears kept welling up in her eyes, but she blinked them away as fast as she could.

Lucia merely shook her head.

"I don't know what came over me. I... Should I not have done that? Ah shit." Then her temper flared. "No, you know," Vivian ranted, "I am so done. I am, just, done with the person I used to be. They heard I was coming and just... had shit for me? They just expected I'd be dying to go right back to it, because that's who I was, and I'm done with that. I'm done with them. I'm done with it all!"

Lucia peered at her quietly, and hugged her legs a little more tightly.

"You know I felt it too, right?"

Lucia shook her head.

"When I was looking at that mirror? I mean, how easy would it have been to take a line and let go for a while? I'm not immune."

Lucia just blinked her big, brown eyes. "Thank you."

Vivian was sure she must have misheard her, and did not think she could handle driving and much else so she pulled over to the side of the road and flicked on her hazards.

The Latina repeated, "Thank you."

Her heart leapt into her throat. "Really?"

Lucia pulled her feet up onto the seat, and curled her arms around her knees. "I... I think I needed someone to stand up for me."

Vivan reached over, wrapped her hand around Lucia's, and squeezed, and the little dark-haired girl beside her squeezed right back.

***

Lucia was nearly catatonic when they pulled into the parking lot. Vivian wrapped an arm around her shoulder, and the two of them limped back to shelter and safety. When they got inside Lucia immediately went over to the couch and reached under it, producing a small baggie with white powder inside after a few seconds. She dropped it in Vivian's hand without another word, and then went into the kitchen and produced two more. And then the bathroom. And then the rehearsal space.

Vivian poured them all out into the toilet, and the two of them watched as it swirled away.

"Is that all of them?"

Lucia nodded emphatically.

The weight of the last few hours finally hit her, and Vivian laid down on their bed still fully clothed. After a minute, Lucia laid down next to her. She was weeping into a pillow, so Vivian rolled over and started tracing shapes along her back. It was something her parents had done for her when she was little, and she thought it was odd that the memory had occurred to her. Maybe her urge to protect Lucia was that kind of powerful.

"You were really strong today."

Lucia didn't respond immediately, but her crying had slowed to a few sobs by the time she turned onto her side and gave Vivian a disbelieving look.

"I'm proud of you."

The little Latina's eyelids fluttered rapidly, seemingly on the verge of another wave of tears, until Vivian reached over and cupped her cheek.

"Really proud of you." Then she swallowed hard, and added, "I'll look out for you... if you'll look out for me."

"Okay," Lucia said, nodding as she crawled over the bed toward her.

"Because I'll n—mmm!"

Lucia grabbed her shirt with both hands, and silenced her with a passion-fueled kiss. It was long and intense, and it took Vivian's breath away. Lucia straddled her, holding her upper body off the bed with her two-fisted grip. Such was the furor that her shirt gave way, buttons popping one after the other down the middle, until Vivian fell back to the bed with her chest bared.

The way Lucia stared at her made her heart race.

She tried to wriggle out of her shirt, squirming this way and that, but Lucia simply grabbed the bottom of her bra and pulled it up. Her small breasts bounced free, and immediately there were fingers caressing her nipples. Lucia's eyes grew wide as she grabbed both, between thumbs and forefingers, and pulled. Vivian gasped as she arched up off the bed. They were so hard it was almost painful.

Vivian's nipples had always been sensitive. Even a light brush would send shivers through her body, but Lucia's tight pinching sent her nerves into overdrive. Just as it reached a maddening level, with her shoulders nearly six inches up off the bed, Lucia released her, and she fell back down. She barely had time to catch her breath before Lucia descended on her like an avalanche.

She tried to grab for Lucia's clothes, to get her naked too, but the Latina was too close. She couldn't get her hands in between while Lucia was attacking her with lips, tongue, and fingertips. Lucia grabbed her breasts whole, with her entire hand, and kneaded them up and down.

There was something distinctly hetero about the way Lucia writhed and ground against her, hip to hip, but it was beyond Vivian to do more than notice that thought as it flew through her brain. Too much attention, that she'd been waiting too long for, was on her.

Again. It hadn't just been a fluke.

Eventually Lucia sat up and ripped her Behemoth t-shirt up over her head, taking the sports bra with it, and as she did Vivian sat up. The two of them right at the edge of the bed. The move shifted Lucia down onto her lap, and Vivian was perfectly placed to take the Latina's nipple into her mouth. Lucia's breasts were very small, barely rising over the powerful muscles underneath, but her nipples were like little reddened bulbs. She flicked her tongue up and down, batting the hardened nub around like a punching bag. Her hands roamed the small of Lucia's back, but her will to continue came to a dribbling halt when Lucia grabbed a fistful of her hair and drew her head back.

She was putty. Soft, pliable putty.

Lucia didn't even need to kiss her. She just held her there, fist close to the roots of her hair, and stared down at her. Of her own accord, Vivian shrugged out of her shirt, removed her bra fully, and took her nipples into her own fingers. All while Lucia sat on her lap and stared down at her. The longer Lucia watched her, the more Vivian squirmed.

When Lucia finally let her go it was with an almost casual thrust, and it sent Vivian back onto her elbows. The Latina smirked, stood up off of her lap, and dropped to her knees. Vivian had never been happier, in her entire life, that she'd worn a skirt. It was an afterthought to brush it up out of the way and pull her panties slightly to the side. Little by little, Vivian spread her knees, and rotated her hips to bring her feet up into the air, and that tongue burrowed between her folds toward her clit.

With a practiced toss of her head, the entirety of Lucia's glossy black mane crested over her head in a way that made Vivian weak with envy and desire. Two dark eyes peered up at her while the rest of her face, nose and all, disappeared behind slick folds and curly hair. Vivian would have chosen that tongue, over a cock or dildo, to penetrate her one hundred times out of one hundred.

1...345678