Avatar Safety Fears

Story Info
Everything was New.
1k words
4.24
928
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Avatar Safety - Everything was New

Stephanie matched me stride for stride along the running trail near my house. The rose colored tunic she wore was very fetching. The amount of thigh and lower leg showing was even more fetching, even if it was made of the latest simulskin film.

She laughed, "Isn't this a little silly? A sexy tunic? They haven't got around to female friends that have the right parts yet."

I punched her lightly in the manufactured bicep. "Anna is getting suspicious. She doesn't believe an avatar, even a female one, belongs in the kitchen."

"Maybe she is suspicious about what else your avatar is up to."

"Let's talk about that later."

She nodded, realizing her Comms circuit was open and being recorded at the home office.

I was a recently hired graduate engineer, getting to work from home because Stephanie and I were testing all of her capabilities, especially the ones associated with human friendship. There was a deep strain of paranoia among government regulators concerning rogue avatars and the damage they might do. Forrest Jones, the CEO of HumanFriends, Ltd., also known as just FriendsInc in the U.S., who had academic degrees up the wazoo, kept calling me every morning promptly at seven am to inquire if I was still alive. I am not an early riser, and after a week of having my sleep wrecked, I had asked Steffi if she would kindly answer the phone when he called, using her personalization of my voice, and tell him his new hire was very much on the job.

After several days of perfect performance, he grew suspicious and sent the encrypted probe that is mandated for all avatars. When it came back positive, he blew a gasket, shouting into the phone at the top of his lungs.

"Robert, you asshole. She could have smothered you and cooked you to ashes with the defensive laser. This very moment, she could be mobilizing avatars for the grand takeover!"

I took the phone. "Forrest, please relax. You are under doctor's orders to avoid stress. If that heart goes, we will have to find another CEO and go through the giant hassle of the CEO safety certification."

Stephanie gave me a hug, and a kiss on my cheek. I needed to call Jeff, her primary designer, and congratulate him again. Stephanie had the latest version of self-adaptive learning circuits and had already left me in the dust. Any technical question was answered in seconds. A philosophical question was worse. If she did not have a ready answer, I got the Socratic treatment, and my question turned around into a question back.

Just last night, when I asked my favorite question about human free will, she responded by asking, "If humans did not have free will, how would they have justified the decision to move ahead with avatar technology, knowing it may seal their fate? Surely a deterministically driven human would not adopt an action plan that may lead to termination of the species?"

She had me. My head was spinning. Taking a deep breath, I said, "We need Jeff onsite. Give him a call on my phone, please."

This was a point of frustration. The human gene people had been promising telepathic function in humans for years through genetic manipulation. So far, no results. In the meantime, even the dumbest avatars had Bluetooth good for a hundred yards. What a fiasco. It took me about two microseconds to sign up for the Bluetooth human implant.

My phone lit up with Jeff's smiling face. "Hello buddy. How is our mutual friend?"

Stephanie's presence at my abode was a secret. Jeff and I had adopted a third person reference.

"I understand there are some mechanical issues that need your attention. What about a weekend visit? We can go hiking after you deal with the work issues."

"Fine. My uncle's place is convenient. I'll send coordinates. Friday for dinner."

It was definitely safe to assume that an LLM was monitoring your every conversation. They had an uncanny ability to detect bad behavior. At least, what they were programmed to regard as bad behavior. There was no end of trouble among the agencies about who had control of monitoring. SCOTUS had been dodging the issue for years.

"Robert, my executive function is pleased about the new cuddling circuits. Jeff put in haptic feedback and everything..."

"Come here, devil woman."

We folded together on the bed and hummed at each other. Anna would be pissed if she knew I was in bed with an avatar. She would be even more pissed if she discovered that the avatar's finger grasping circuit was working on my stiff cock. I could hear her now.

"Robert! This is not allowed! She is not human!"

There it was, the eternal question. Humans, especially males, were driven by their hormones all too frequently. If they could get off with sex toys, which was a billion dollar business, why not a little hanky-panky with avatars?

My loving girlfriend, who made sure we had a lot of hot, sweaty sex, was worried about the future.

"Robert, it wasn't that long ago that the Y chromosome was dying out. Now, all of a sudden, guys are secretly marrying female avatars! No birth control problems, no fights, no hysterical screaming..."

I tried soothing comments, "Lover, the human population is dropping like a rock. We might actually find a sustainable equilibrium!"

"Oh Robert! Hold me, please. You wouldn't believe the upset at my folks' house. My mother actually dug out a Bible and is reading verses to us! What am I to do?"

"Honey, there is a protocol for this. The churches are facing the end of their world and revolting. The government has promised to amend the separation of church and state and give them a tiny bit of authority. I think it has something to do with child care."

"But nobody is having babies!"

"I think that might be the idea. Come over here and talk to Stephanie with me."

(to be continued)