Beauty and the Beast

Story Info
A man is brought out of the shadows by his lonely neighbor.
8.2k words
4.72
21.3k
106
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Bh76
Bh76
2,770 Followers

Once again, I'm honored to be included in these invitationals. i encourage you all to read all of the amazing authors' stories.

Thank you, blackrandl1958 for organizing it and for the invite.

Wicked Games is a song that sets up so well for a Loving Wives story I had to try something different. I was very tempted to write about a woman who falls for a man who isn't her husband or a man who falls for a married woman. I just couldn't decide which to do and abandoned both.

Enjoy my effort at a romantic version.

*****

I sat in the shaded section of my back porch and watched a little girl and a little boy walk into my backyard.

There's no fence separating my property from my neighbor's, so it wasn't hard for them to wander onto my property. Especially since I had a large play set left by the previous owner piquing their curiosity.

It was also a safe neighborhood in a gated community. Kids wandered around unsupervised all of the time. We all looked out for them.

The girl couldn't have been more than five, and the boy she dragged by the hand looked a couple of years younger.

As they climbed the rope ladder to get to the fort, I surmised they were the children of the new owner of the house next door. It was an easy deduction. I saw the movers start their job when I poured my coffee earlier in the morning.

I stayed in the shadows, not wanting to frighten them, and smiled at the memories of watching my nephew play there the last time my sister visited.

Suddenly, instead of sliding down the plastic slide, the boy's foot must've gotten caught up and he flipped over into a somersault.

I was up and there in seconds to see if he was okay, but his tears from pain were stopped by his scream when he saw me.

"Shoot!" I said. "I didn't mean to scare--"

I was cut off by the little girl screaming for her mom. I hurried into my house before I could cause them any more nightmares.

I watched from my bay window as a pretty brunette ran into my yard to tend to her children. I caught my reflection in the glass and frowned.

I could hear the mother scolding her children for playing in my yard unsupervised and without permission. As they walked across my lawn, the little girl looked towards me wide-eyed. I'm not sure why I did it, but I waved goodbye and turned back into my kitchen.

*****

A week later, I woke in a cold-sweated panic.

I grabbed my handgun from the nightstand and took some calming breaths.

"I'm safe. I'm home. I'm safe. I'm home."

I repeated those words as my former therapist instructed and felt calm.

I'm sure if Dr. Angelo knew I used my gun as a comfort tool he'd skin me alive, but it worked for me. The nightmares, panic attacks and flashbacks were few and far between by then.

It was dawn, so once I calmed, I started my day and decided to work in my garden.

The sun was bright, and I felt a presence and saw the shadow before I heard the little voice say, "Why does your face look like that?"

I put down my shears and answered, "Does your mommy know you're here?"

I hadn't turned around, but she walked around me and said, "She's making us pancakes."

I stood and turned away from her stare.

"I think you should go back home, sweetie. Your mom will be mad that you left your yard."

I didn't want to explain to an innocent child what happens in war.

It came on in an instant. My heart started pounding, my throat felt like I was being strangled. I couldn't stop my body from shaking.

I fell to my knees and heard the explosions and gunfire as if I were back in that desert hell hole.

I hugged myself and closed my eyes begging for the sounds to go away.

I repeatedly whispered, "I'm home. I'm safe," but it didn't soothe me that time.

I trembled as the noise got louder and louder, until suddenly a voice said, "It's all right. You're at home. You're in your back yard. No one can hurt you here. You are safe."

I didn't look back, but I began to feel better.

I jumped up and away from the voice. I looked around and recognized my yard. I saw two curious children standing on their deck next door.

My eyes settled back to the woman before me. The sunlight draped her body giving her an angelic aura, and she was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen.

I took a deep breath and finally calmed. My tank top was soaked with perspiration, and I felt the sweat drip down my scars.

I turned away and said, "I'm fine now. I'm sorry I scared your little girl. I hadn't had a flashback in a while."

"It's okay. Ayla came and told me you were shaking. She has a friend who had a seizure once, so she knew she needed to get help. I could tell it was a PTSD attack, though. I've done some work with vets."

"Yeah. Um, I'd better get inside now," I said with little strength.

"Before you do, I'm Mandy. We just moved in."

"Sorry, yeah, I'm Damon. I'm sorry I frightened your kids last week. Your boy fell down my slide, and I wanted to make sure he was okay."

"It's okay, Damon. They were just surprised."

"Yeah, the scary man with the ugly face probably scared the daylights out of them."

She shook her head.

"Well, Ayla obviously wasn't scared if she came back. I told them not to bother you anymore. I'm sorry too."

"No, it's fine. I love kids. I just usually try to avoid them."

I rubbed my cheek as I said it. I felt my burns and scars made me look monstrous.

"Well, Mandy, it was nice to meet you. I'll let you get back to your pancakes."

"Would you like to join us? I made plenty."

I shook my head and saw Ayla walking towards us.

"Are you better now?" She asked shyly.

"Yeah. I'm sorry if I scared you."

"I wasn't scared. My friend Tommy gets the shakes too, so I knew I had to get mommy to help you."

I smiled and got down on one knee.

"I'm Mister Damon."

I held out my hand and she shook it.

"I'm Ayla Witten. I'm almost five."

"Well, Ayla Witten, who's almost five. It was nice to meet you."

She reached out to touch my face and I winced back.

"Ayla! Don't do that." Mandy chided.

"Sorry."

I smiled and leaned forward.

"It's all right. Go ahead, sweetie. My nephew, Johnny, wanted to touch it the first time he saw it too."

She slowly raised her finger and traced down the web-like reminders of my time in the sandbox.

"I was hurt by some bad men. I'm okay now though."

Mandy asked, "Afghanistan?"

I nodded, then gasped in realization.

"Amanda Witten. Jeez, I'm sorry I didn't recognize you. We met before."

"We have?"

"Yeah, you probably don't remember. You and your husband stopped by my hospital room when I was recovering."

"Yeah, Bill always visited his constituents if they were hurt in the war. It was one thing he did that was decent."

"Oh?" I asked surprised.

"We're divorced now. When he got elected to the Senate he changed for the worse."

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize. He seemed genuinely concerned when you visited."

"Oh, no! He was concerned. He really cared about our troops."

"Good. I'd hate to think I was just a photo op. Anyway, divorce sucks."

"It is what it is. He gave me two great kids and a lot of alimony. Yet he did imply I was unfaithful, and it helped him get re-elected."

My face must've shown my disgust at the thought of her cheating.

"Oh, no! I assure you I was completely faithful. In fact, my defamation lawsuit was settled, taking even more of his ill-gotten wealth."

She laughed at herself, and I became uncomfortable.

"The sad reality is he cheated on me, and I put up with it like an idiot. It broke my heart, shattered my self-image, and destroyed my self-confidence."

I had no idea how to react to what she was telling me, so I said, "Well, I'm sure Ayla wants those pancakes."

The adorable little girl began jumping and dancing, then ran towards her house.

I laughed and Mandy shrugged.

"You're sure, Damon? There's plenty."

"Yeah, but thanks. It was nice to see you again. Although, you always seem to see me at my worst."

She touched my arm and said, "If you ever need anything, I'm right next door."

I nodded and turned to go. She stood on my lawn and watched until my screen door closed. I couldn't help but turn to watch her walk away. God! She was lovely.

*****

A month later, I was working on my next novel when Ayla walked into my yard.

"Whatcha doin'?" She asked.

"I'm working, honey."

"Mommy works on her 'puter too. She makes up stories for kids."

"Oh yeah? That's awesome. I make up stories for grown-ups."

"Ayla, stop annoying Mister Damon."

Before I could speak, Ayla shouted, "He makes stories too, Momma."

Mandy raised an eyebrow, and I said, "I write novels based on my time in the Army. It's really helped with the PTSD."

"That's great. I'm working on a children's book. It gives me something to do."

"Do you have a publisher?"

She laughed.

"Oh, no. I'm not sure I'm there yet."

"Well, I'll be happy to give you my agent's info. She's a great gal."

Mandy smiled and I swear I melted.

"Maybe when it's finished, Damon."

"Good. By the way, Ayla wasn't bothering me. In fact, since I'm sitting out here anyway, I was going to offer to let your kids play on my play set. I just cleaned it up and oiled the swings."

"Please, Momma!"

Mandy smiled again, and I was glad the table hid my lap.

"Okay. Are you sure it's no trouble, Damon?"

"100%."

"Go and get Billy, sweetie."

Ayla was off like a shot.

I laughed and said, "Oh, to be young again."

Mandy asked, "Would I know any of your books?"

"I don't know. Do you read many war novels?"

She giggled, "No."

"Then probably not. Although, they made a movie out of my first one last year. It did pretty well on Netflix."

"Really? What's it called?"

"Dangerous Toys."

"I saw that!" She shrieked. "I love the actor who played the lead. He's cute."

I laughed and shrugged.

"Yeah, most women feel the same. My sister drooled over him the entire time we were visiting the set. Her husband got a lot of loving on that vacation."

She laughed and I continued, "He gave me a signed head shot and I'll give it to you. I certainly don't need it."

Our attention was drawn to the kids. Ayla was trying to lift her brother up onto a swing.

Mandy excused herself and walked over to help. I could watch that woman walk away from me forever. It's too bad I could never be with her.

*****

I walked into my living room and saw a picture of me and my sister from a friend's wedding in which I was a groomsman.

She was so lovely, and I looked good in my tux. It was six weeks before the explosion that sent hot metal hurtling at my head.

A tear fell down my cheek as I looked at my former self's square jaw, blue eyes, and unscarred cheek.

My ex-wife used to say I looked like Henry Cavil and once made me dress up in a thin Superman costume that was a size too small. It hid nothing, and we never made it to the Halloween party.

She was like a woman possessed as she slammed onto me screaming, "Fuck me, Superman."

She didn't stay longer than a month after I returned home from the military. When they took the bandages off and she saw me for the first time, she cried and ran from the room.

The divorce papers came on the same day as my discharge papers.

Who could blame her? I know the looks I get whenever I dare venture out into public. I can barely handle it, so there was no chance she could. I didn't look like Superman anymore--I looked like Two-Face.

My doorbell rang, and it was little Ayla.

"Mister Damon, Momma says to bring you home for cookies. Do you like cookies?"

"Of course I do sweetie. Did you make them?"

"Uh huh. I put the choc-o-late chips in and mixed it good."

"Well, I'd like to, but I don't think I can come over."

"Momma said you'd say no. She told me I had to act like I was sad to make you come. Hang on."

I smiled when she made her lips pout, and her eyes widen.

"That's quite a sad face, Ayla."

She tried to hide the smile, but it only made her giggle.

She took my hand and pulled me. I laughed and said, "Okay, okay. Let me put some shoes on."

She clapped and did a little happy dance while I slipped on my sandals.

Ayla still held my hand as she walked through their front door.

She shouted, "Momma! I brought Mister Damon for cookies."

The house smelled wonderful, and Mandy looked adorable as she walked into her foyer to greet me.

"What?" She asked when she saw my wry smirk.

"You have some flour on your cheek."

"Why not there? It got everywhere else."

We chuckled and she continued, "Come on into the kitchen. I've got some fresh iced tea and lemonade. You can have an Arnold Palmer if you like."

"Sounds great."

After pouring my drink, she asked, "So, did she have to pout?"

"Oh, yeah. She used my kryptonite against me."

I winced as saying that made me think of my ex again. Mandy noticed.

"What? I'm sorry if she came on too strong."

I shrugged and said, "No. It's nothing Ayla did. Just a bad memory."

"I don't want to be a nosy neighbor, but I never see anyone but you. Is there a Mrs. Damon?"

"Not anymore," I said and sipped the delicious combination of tea and lemonade. Arnold Palmer was a genius.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to pry."

"Don't worry about it. She couldn't stand to see me all mangled up. She divorced me shortly after the bandages came off."

"What a bitch," she said as she pulled a pan from the oven.

"Momma, that's a bad word."

"Sorry, sweetie."

Billy walked in and looked like he just crawled out of bed.

"You've got bed head," Ayla teased and giggled.

Billy stood shocked when he realized I was sitting at their table.

"It's okay, Billy. Would you please say hi to Mister Damon?"

"Hi."

He didn't move or look away. I felt uncomfortable even though I should've been used to the stares by then.

I smiled at him and said, "You should've seen me before I looked like this. That wasn't a pretty sight."

Mandy said, "Billy, it's not polite to stare. Come on, let's get you in your seat and have a cookie."

He slowly walked to his seat, and she lifted him into place. His eyes never left my cheek.

I pulled my phone out and went to my sister's Facebook. She had pictures of me prior to my disfiguration, and I pulled one up.

"Here, Billy. That's me before. See, I'm just a regular person and not scary at all, right?"

He looked and nodded. I noticed the expression on Mandy's face as she looked, and it made me sad. It was obvious she liked what she saw.

"That's a lovely photo. Your sister's dress was amazing."

"Yeah. She's a beauty. She did some modeling in college."

"How about some cookies," she said changing the subject.

Billy took my phone and asked, "YouTube?"

I smiled and said, "Sure, buddy. What do you want to watch."

"No YouTube, Billy," Mandy said as she set a platter of gooey cookies onto the table.

He pouted and pushed the phone away angrily.

"Sorry, kiddo. Mom's rules."

It was forgotten as soon as he had a cookie in his mouth.

"Milk?" Mandy asked.

"No thanks. Do you have any Cool Whip?"

"Cool Whip?" She queried.

"Yeah. Or the stuff in the can will work."

She took out a tub of the white goodness and a spoon. I put a dollop onto a cookie and shoved the whole thing into my mouth.

The kids laughed and Ayla snorted some milk out.

"You're silly," Ayla said, then grabbed the spoon and mimicked me.

She made a mess of it and had Cool Whip and chocolate covered lips.

They all laughed again, and Mandy had a mile-wide smile on her face. She bit her cookie more lady-like.

*****

A month later, I made a rare trip to the butcher. I normally had groceries delivered, but it was my birthday and I wanted to pick out a nice steak.

Normally, the shoppers with the delivery service do a decent job of picking out my meat, but I wanted something special. One only turns thirty once.

As I looked at the butcher's selections, I felt a presence behind me.

"Hi, Mister Damon."

I turned and picked up little Ayla.

"How are you, sweetie."

"Momma's buying fishes for dinner. She has a taste for crabs."

I laughed and said, "Crabs aren't fish, cuddles. They're crustaceans."

"What's that mean?" She asked.

"It means they have a shell. Fish don't have shells."

"There you are!" Mandy chided as she pushed the stroller with Billy.

"I'm sorry, Damon. She just walked off."

"I saw Mister Damon, Momma. He says crabs aren't fishes."

"Close enough, Ayla," she answered. "Hungry for steak?"

I nodded.

"Yeah. I wanted to pick out a really nice strip to throw on the grill tonight."

"I have a taste for crab legs. Chuck at the gate says this is a good place."

"He's right. I love this place."

She looked fantastic and was just wearing gray yoga pants and a t-shirt. With her hair in a ponytail and no makeup, I wanted to worship every inch of her curvy body.

My phone rang with my sister's ringtone. I ignored the call, and Mandy asked, "Don't feel like talking?"

"It's just my sister. She's just calling to wish," I stopped for some reason.

I'm not sure why, but I didn't want Mandy to know it was my birthday. It was silly, I know, but I didn't want the attention.

"Is it your birthday, Damon?"

I sighed and said, "Yeah."

"Why didn't you tell us. You're not going to be alone on your birthday, are you?"

I snorted and said, "I'm always alone, Mandy. Why should today be any different?"

She looked sad. I thought it was probably pity.

"No way, bubs. I'm making you dinner and you'll be over at five sharp for appetizers."

"Can we make Mister Damon a cake, Momma?" Ayla asked.

"Of course. We'll make him a big cake with lots of frosting."

"How many candles do we need?" Ayla asked.

"I'm thirty," I almost whispered.

Mandy gasped.

"Damon, it's your golden birthday!" She shrieked.

"Same as any other," I said with a shrug.

"Oh, that's it. You're definitely coming over. Pick out your steak, and it's my treat. We'll have steak and crab legs. Surf and turf."

I knew better than to argue.

"Fine. I'll come over, but I'm buying the food."

She relented and I picked out some nicely marbled strips and she picked out some king crab legs.

*****

"Why didn't you tell us about your birthday?" Mandy asked after putting her children to bed.

She kicked off her sandals and pulled her feet under her as she sat on the opposite side of the couch from me.

She looked incredible in just a t-shirt and a long loose casual dress. Her curly hair was down, and she had on just a hint of light makeup.

Instead of answering her, I said, "This wine is very good. You said it was a Bordeaux?"

"Yes, now answer my question."

I sighed.

"It never came up in conversation."

"Damon, come on. You gave Ayla a birthday present last week. You could've mentioned it then."

"It's just not that big of a deal, Mandy."

"It is to me. Aren't we friends?"

I sipped my wine and said, "I guess. I mean, I don't have friends anymore. No one wants to be seen with scarface."

She looked angry, but I didn't know what to do about it.

"Damon," she said after letting out an exasperated sigh. "You have to stop feeling sorry for yourself."

That made me angry.

"What would you know about it?" I snapped. You're fucking beautiful and I'm a monster. My wife left me. My friends don't want to be seen with me. I can't go out in public without being stared at. I'm going to die a lonely old man if I live that long."

I don't know why I said that. I hadn't thought about suicide in a couple of years. Maybe my neighbor feeling sorry for me on my birthday got to me.

Her eyes softened and she took my hand.

"I see behind your scars, Damon. You're a good man, with a good heart, and I value that."

Bh76
Bh76
2,770 Followers