Azul On Evolution

Story Info
A look at the way we evolve as we grow..
803 words
4.36
1.5k
1
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Azuldrgon
Azuldrgon
407 Followers

I was driving my boss back to the shop from dropping off one of our trucks to get a tire changed. The conversation started while we were talking about our daughters. His daughter works in California. The funny thing about the conversation was when he mentions her doing her job at a mansion that was covered in pink Stucco. My response was saying "Sounds like California."

The conversation continued until I mentioned a friend back in my hometown who is a big Starbuck's junkie. I then told him how I would tell this friend via Facebook that there are better coffee places than Starbuck's. It was then he asked me if we had those kinds of places back home. I responded that we didn't while I was growing up. He then made the statement that inspired this writing.

"You're such a West Coast guy."

I have always prided myself as a Southerner. I still have traces of the accent when I say certain words. I still crave certain Southern foods and I had always thought I hadn't changed that much, even though I have been up here in the Pacific Northwest for the past twenty-four years. It was then I started thinking about the things I take for granted living up here that support his opinion.

When I went back home for vacation in June, my luggage didn't make it. Due to my lack of knowledge when it comes to flying, my suitcase was removed from the plane before the final leg to D.C. I made it to my sister's house and had her drive me to get a few temporary outfits. While I was there, I realized I was becoming a bit more discerning when it came to the clothes I bought. This is a different me than the guy who would just grab a few things and call it good. This felt very West Coast to me.

I strived to go to places we didn't have back in the PNW just to have something different. Every time I spoke to someone, I was still polite to them because that's the way I am. I would notice things though that I normally never noticed though. My driving was different. I was finding myself using the fast lanes more than I usually did back then when I was younger. Even the fact that I chose a Hyundai for a rental versus all the Fords they offered was a testament to how much I had changed over the years.

There are some who would tell me I had changed a ton over the years. I ascribe some of that to the environment. Living in the Pacific Northwest is different than living in the D.C Metro area which is different than living in rural South Carolina. They are truly different environments. It is weird sometimes because one doesn't notice the changes unless someone puts the ideas into their head.

I am a different person than I was thirty years ago. Back then, I was just joining the military. I was a recent high school graduate. I was looking towards the future not knowing all the twists and turns my life would take until now. I have experienced many things in my thirty years since then, every twist and turn changing me in some fashion until it made the man I am now. I am nowhere near the perfect me because I know that doesn't exist.

I'd rather say I am aware of my evolution. I have done things in this life the man I was thirty years ago would not have imagined. Thirty years ago, I would not have imagined living on the West Coast. Thirty years ago, I never would have imagined being married with children. Thirty years ago, I would have never would have imagined owning a home, driving a Korean vehicle, working in a shop or going through many of the health things I have done.

It is just an illustration that as a species, there is an evolution. Perhaps it isn't as grand as the theory that we evolved from monkeys, but evolution does take place. Many of us look back at our younger years and shudder at the things we did. The hair styles were different. The clothing styles were different. Yet we look back now and sometimes, we realize we have become better. I am proud of the knowledge I have accumulated. I am proud of the wisdom I have attained due to my experiences. And here's the part that is the kicker. I understand that I will keep evolving in little ways until this life is over. That's the way it's supposed to be. Yeah, maybe I am more of a West Coast guy now. Thankfully, there's enough Southerner in me to keep me from losing my mind.

Azuldrgon
Azuldrgon
407 Followers