BA Hammer Broadway Ch. 02

Story Info
PI WORKS ON BROADWAY.
3.7k words
4.66
1.4k
2

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/14/2023
Created 03/24/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
cwcw99
cwcw99
142 Followers

B.A. HAMMER - BROADWAY CH 2

All of this happened in a few seconds. I looked down to see where I was going to land. The crew had a large, black curtain hanging in the middle of the stage. They were repairing a tear and had a large pile of it on a couch in the middle of the floor. If I could grab the curtain it might slow me down enough to not die when I hit bottom. It would be ideal if I could use the curtain to swing myself to the couch. All of that took one second. As I passed the pipe holding the curtain, I reached over and grabbed at the curtain. I managed to grab hold. It began tearing as I fell, but I was slowing down. I just had time to try and swing toward the couch when I hit it. It felt like being hit by a car and I passed out.

I was surprised when I woke up. I felt like a car had run over me. Everyone was standing around me, and Chad was very upset. Their medical person was there trying to look into my eyes with a bright light.

"Look at me, Mr. Hammer. Look at me. Can you focus your eyes?" I could, a little. My hand and arm hurt, and it felt like I had cracked a couple of ribs, but I was alive. I was going to find that weasel, Eddie. He had things to answer for.

I tried to get up, but that wasn't happening. The medic told me to lay still, and I really didn't think I had a choice anyway. An ambulance arrived and I closed my eyes and rode it out until I was in the emergency room.

By the time we arrived, I was more alert. I could breathe and move a little. Nothing seemed broken, except for the ribs. They took several pictures, and a doctor finally came into the room.

"You're a very lucky man, Mr. Hammer. They say you fell sixty feet onto a couch. If not for the couch, we wouldn't be talking right now. You are going to need a long time staying still until your ribs heal. Nothing else seems broken."

"Thanks, Doc, but I have something I must take care of. If I can walk, I think I will leave."

"That's up to you, but you will be going AMA, against medical advice."

"I guess we understand each other, then. Thanks again, doc." I slowly stood up, and gingerly walked into the waiting room. Chad was there and I was surprised to see Ed O'Sullivan there.

"Ed, what are you doing here?"

"I got a strange call from one of Fat Tony's boys. He told me about your "accident" and suggested I might want to come and talk to you about it."

"It was no accident, but I'll take care of it."

"No, no, no. This isn't Afghanistan. You can't go around "solving" your problems like that."

"Ed, I'm disappointed in your confidence in my self-restraint. I need information, not revenge. Besides, Eddie is probably halfway to Philly by now."

"Eddie Roberts, the weasel?" Ed was looking at me funny.

"Yeah, why?"

"We just found him across town in an alley. The shop owner says it looks like a robbery. I guess we can cross that motive off the list." Okay, now I have a problem. Someone cleaned their mess up quickly. It has only been a couple of hours, and Eddie is already playing a harp, or more likely, pounding rocks in hell. There was more going on at this play than I had thought. Fat Tony was right. Of course, criminals only survive when they have a nose for something not being right.

'Thanks, Ed. I owe you one for coming down here. I'll let you know if I find anything out about Eddie."

"BA, I don't know how you are tied up with Fat Tony, but this can't end up good. I already have half the NYPD thinking you're dirty and wanting to pin something on you. Now there has been a murder, and you are connected. It's good you have been in a hospital for the last several hours. Be careful."

Chad helped me to his car. For a struggling actor, he had a nice car. I guess he got it from mom. "Mr. Hammer, what happened on the catwalk in the fly? We just heard the scream and saw you hit the couch. I was sure you were dead."

He helped into the car, and I smiled at him. "It's okay, Chad. I had a little disagreement with Eddie, the stagehand. Please take me back to the theater." We returned to the theater to find everyone trying to continue. The look on everyone's face when I walked in was priceless. It looked like they were seeing a ghost. If only they knew how close they were to the truth.

Bob came up and looked me in the eye. "What the hell are you doing here? Go home."

I patted him on the shoulder. "Thanks, Bob, I think I will."

I was able to drive my car to my apartment. The next twenty-four hours saw me sleep in a dream world. This case and Eddie's face kept swirling around in my mind. Something was not right, but I couldn't put it together.

By the next evening, my head had cleared, and I was able to sit up. I went in and got something to eat. I called Fat Tony, and he was put on the phone right away.

"Hammer, what happened to you?"

"I slipped. I'm okay. There is something going on with that play. You heard about Eddie the weasel. He nearly shit his pants when I pressed him."

"Okay, keep me updated. If you need anything, call Lenny. He can get what you need without me getting involved." I promised I would and hung up. It took a while to get dressed. It is tough when you don't want to move your ribs.

I finally arrived at the theater. I wanted to talk to everyone I could before they had time to check their stories about Eddie. I ran into Thomas Mellon, the second male actor.

"Mr. Mellon, would you mind if I talked to you for a moment?"

He stopped and looked at me for a few seconds. Just as I was beginning to think he was going to leave, he nodded. "Call me Thomas. What can I do for you?"

"I was just talking to everyone, trying to get a feel for the vibe of the production. I hear you are a young, upcoming actor in this field. I was wondering if anything stands out about this production. You have been in several, correct?"

"Yes, this is my fourth Broadway or near Broadway production. It is a little different. There is always a strain getting a production up and running, but there seems to be a different strain here. Willie is running around, all worried and all. There are rumors about money, where it came from, what is happening to it, etc."

"Do you have any ideas about that? You have been here from the beginning." Time to shut up and let him talk himself into a corner if there was one. He was ready to spin yarns with the color of an actor. He was convinced Woods was up to something. He had seen him with a giant stagehand several times. They would play cards in his dressing room, and hang out in the back, talking, things like that. Big stars don't normally even acknowledge stagehands, much less hang around with them. He sounded sweet on the young woman, Smith. Other than that, nothing else mattered much to me. I thanked him and looked for fresh meat.

I knocked on Conner Woods' dressing room door, and was asked in. "Mr. Woods, I was trying to get a feeling for a big, Broadway production. This is my first, and you are a big star on Broadway. I was wondering how this production matches up with all the others."

He looked at me like I had three eyes. "I don't pay any attention to any of that nonsense. I light up the stage when I'm on it and ignore everything when I'm not. Capeesh?" He turned back to whatever he had been doing. I was dismissed.

I knocked on Samantha Knowles door. This is one lady I really wanted to talk to. I heard a sweet come in, and I did so.

She was sitting on a couch looking at the script. "Yes, may I help you?"

"First, I must admit I am a big fan of yours. I'm sure you hear that all the time."

She smiled. "How kind of you to say that. You are with Chad, correct?"

"Yes, and I've been helping Willie with details. That's why I wanted to talk to you. I am sure you don't pay much attention to the gossip around one of these productions, but I was wondering if this show is normal for all the others you have been in?"

She put her script down and looked at me. "Let's be straight, Mr. Hammer. I know where most of the money for this production came from, and I know Chad's relationship with that money. That is why you are here, isn't it?" Time for straight forward talk. I nodded. "Good. My agent, Benny tells me to be careful here. Willie is always nervous around the startup of any production, but he is walking on a hot tin roof barefoot here. Other than that, I don't really know anything."

"How about your costar?"

She smirked. "You mean, the living legend? He's an ass. I make sure I am never alone with him, even rehearsing our scenes together. You can tell our benefactor that I don't really know what is going on here, okay?"

"Yes ma-am. I will make sure that is conveyed clearly." She stood up and held out her hand. I shook it softly. She smiled and I left. She is a good actress. Other than her obvious dislike for Woods, I couldn't really read her much. Maybe Benny would be more helpful.

The next guy I ran into was Thompson, the publicity man. He ran on for nearly an hour but didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know.

Lastly, I found Mary Smith. She was a sweet, little girl, but I saw something in her eye that didn't match the demeanor. She had a clear look in her eye. There was something there. "Miss Smith, could I talk to you for a moment?"

She smiled. "Sure, Mr. Hammer. Chad says it's a miracle you are still alive. I need to meet the man who can fly."

"If I could fly, my ribs wouldn't be on fire right now. I am new to this business, and I could use a little help making sense of all this motion around me."

"Sure thing, Thor." She could see by my look I wasn't happy about that. "I'm sorry, Mr. Hammer. Chad told me your nickname, and I can sure see where it came from. You're as big as Thor, and "hammer" and all. We can stick with Mr. Hammer."

"We can stick with BA. That's what my friends call me. Although, from you Thor doesn't sound like an insult."

"BA it is. Your initials?" She was quietly doing the questioning. I liked her, she was smart.

"Yes, Britton Allen."

"Britton is a good name, too. Ok, on with the interrogation. What is it you need to know?"

Now I really liked her. Too bad she is too young. "There have been money questions surrounding this production. The backers are concerned. I am helping Willie look around carefully, quietly. I need to know if you have observed anything out of the ordinary."

"I have heard the director and Willie arguing several times. That is not unusual, in fact, it is common. It is not common for them to be arguing about the cast or crew. By this time, neither of them usually is thinking about anything but getting everything in place for the opening. The director was not happy about a couple of the crew members. It seems he doesn't know them, and they didn't seem to know much about theater." That made sense. He was starting to put a few pieces in place.

"Thank you, Miss Smith. You have been very helpful."

"Call me Mary, and it there is anything I can do to help "Thor" out, you just swing a big hammer my way." She laughed and walked off. DAMN. She might as well have put up a billboard. I hadn't been hit on that hard since I busted a "professional" lady as she tried to get out of the arrest. Too bad she wasn't older. I'd have to think about swinging a big hammer her way.

She had given me one idea. I called Ed O'Sullivan. He was trying to push my PI license and carry permit through. By now, he was a detective Captain, and had a lot of pull. "Ed, any news?"

"You mean about Eddie, or you?"

"Either."

"Nothing on Eddie, but I think I can swing the PI license. The carry permit will take a little longer now that you are hanging around with Fat Tony."

"Okay, another lead on Eddie. Check on him and a goon by the name of Larry Wilson. Check to see if there have been any savings boxes signed for by either of these guys in the last couple of months. You might also check each member of the cast to see if any of them have a new box."

"Who's this Wilson character?"

"He's a friend of Eddie on the crew. They have been tight, and the big guy has been seen hanging around with the star of this little shindig."

"Don't the stars hang around with backstage boys?"

"They don't normally even know their names. That is why I want him checked out."

"Okay, will do. Be careful." I hung up and went looking for Willie. I found him with the director. They were in a "discussion". I stayed out of sight until they were finished. After the director had walked off, I approached Willie.

"He didn't look happy."

"He's never happy before a show opens."

"What's his problem?" Let's see if Willie will open up.

He cracked it a little. "Crew problems. One of them got themselves killed. Mr. "Boss in Charge" didn't even know who he was, and he wanted to know how there could be a crewmember he didn't even know. I told him I didn't hire any new crewmembers. I told him to talk to Bob."

That was a good idea. I think I will ask Bob first. He was going over cues with the assistant stage manager who would be calling them during the production. I waited until he went for a cup of coffee to approach him.

"Bob, I can see you are busy. Mind if I ask you one thing?"

"Sure, BA. What do ya wantta know?"

"Who hires the crew, normally?"

"I do. They work for me, why?"

"Where'd you get the guy who got himself killed?"

He stopped to think. "The police asked me the same thing. He came here with Wilson, the man you sent home the other day, remember?" I didn't have any trouble remembering Larry Wilson. He is a big guy that knows how to handle himself when he isn't drunk.

"Thanks. I'll let you get back to work now." I know have half the picture. I just need to find out who is pulling the strings.

It was getting late. I needed to stop by my office for my messages. As I was walking up the stairs, I thought I heard a noise. I turned just in time to take a glancing blow to the side of my head. By the time I realized what was happening, I had been grabbed and tossed down the stairs to the lower landing. As I flew by him, I recognized Wilson. He was back for his pound of flesh. My ribs were going to make it difficult for me handle him, but I didn't think he was willing to wait for them to heal.

"Okay, Thor. Time to turn in your hammer. You should have stayed out of my business." He lunged down the stairs toward me. I stayed down on the landing until the last moment. When he was almost upon me, I stood up and swung my leg upward to meet him. I caught him by surprise and the nuts at the same time. He doubled over, clinging to the stairway corner nob. I decided he needed another level to take some steam out of him, so I pushed him down to the next lower level. He made an awful racket going down the stairs. I followed him until he lay in a heap. He was groaning, but still dangerous. I wanted to help him decide to leave, so I came down hard on his right hand. He howled in pain as I heard cracking.

"Now, Wilson. Get out of here while you still can. If you come around me again, I won't be so nice, you understand?"

He almost crawled down the last flight of stairs to the front door and was gone. I sat down on the edge of the landing until my head stopped spinning.

When I got back to my office, I poured myself a strong drink and sat down to think. Why was he threatening me? He surely knows I am here because of Fat Tony. Why would he risk pissing off one of the biggest mob bosses in the city? What made the risk worth it? Right now, I needed to sleep. I headed home and was asleep within minutes of arriving.

The next morning, I took a long hot shower and rewrapped my sore ribs. I called Lenny and asked him to have Tony check on Wilson. Fat Tony would know who he is associated with. No one like him was freelancing. You don't live long without at least having a passing association with someone. Lenny promised to get back to me.

I arrived at the theater as a rehearsal was going on. I sat down with Willie and Thornton, the music director. I hadn't even spoken to him, but I didn't think he would add much.

I got a call from Ed, so I excused myself to find a quiet place.

Ed sounded hopeful. "Thanks for the tip. There is a new box. It is in the name of your favorite star, Woods. It's at First National. Do we need a court order?"

"Not yet. I don't want to tip anyone off yet. I'm sure all of this is connected. We should be able to find Eddie's killer and a few other things before we are finished."

"Great, keep me informed." Ed was gone. Woods would not be stupid enough to get an incriminating box in his own name. Besides, I get the impression Mr. Star doesn't do anything for himself anymore. So, who did it, and why?

He was now faced with several questions.

Who killed Eddie?

Who stole the money?

Who got the box at First National and put Wood's name on it?

How did they think they could get away with stealing from Fat Tony?

How many people were involved?

What would Fat Tony do when I told him the answers to those questions?

This could get messy.

Lenny called me with Tony's answer about Wilson. He said Wilson isn't associated with any family. He is a small-time muscle that makes sure he stays away from the families, and they have left him alone for now. I thanked Lenny.

I sat and watched the rehearsal. This was bigtime New York theater, and they were good at it. The chorus sounded like a small choir, and everyone was on their marks and knew their lines. When they were finished, I asked Willie how close they were to opening.

"We are one week away." Great, time is running out on me. I wandered backstage as everyone was breaking up. Chad and Mary were talking when he walked up.

Mary didn't let up. "Here comes Thor. Where's the big hammer?" Chad blushed and took off.

"Really, Mary. You ought to be ashamed of yourself, embarrassing the young man like that."

"I know. I've been in theater for too long. It is dog eat dog here. These people would push you down a flight of stairs if it meant they got your role. I know Chad is a good kid, no matter where he comes from." Was it a coincidence she mentioned pushing someone down a flight of stairs. I am getting paranoid now. "Have you found any answers yet?"

"Some, but I have more to find. I understand you open next week."

Yes."

"Are you going to be ready?" She laughed.

"We are never ready, but it will go on." She put her hand on my arm. "Tell Chad I didn't mean anything with that crack, okay?"

I promised I would, and she walked off.

I found a quiet room and sat to think.

Suspects: Willie was the obvious one. That made me suspicious. He would be the logical one to frame.

Conner Woods, the star. I didn't believe he had the stupidity to get a box in his name. Especially because he would know he would be recognized right away by whoever helped him get the box.

Thomas Mellon. Ambition makes people do things they might not normally do. Did he think he could move right into the lead role if Woods was arrested. He was the understudy for the role.

Mary Smith. She was smart enough, but it didn't fit. She was young enough to have time to become famous without harming anyone in this production. Besides, the only one that would benefit her would be if the female star left, and nothing had touched her so far.

Robert Young He had no obvious connection. But he was getting older, and maybe he wanted one score to retire with. I don't buy it, but it is possible.

That's about it for suspects.

The one connection he had to make was Wilson. He was obviously working for one of these people, but whom?

cwcw99
cwcw99
142 Followers