All Comments on 'Back to the Farm Ch. 14'

by evanslily

Sort by:
  • 171 Comments
AnonymousAnonymous24 days ago

I had a very interesting time reading what I daresay YOU must have had an interesting time writing . Lots of twists and turns and JUST when you think you've pinned the plot down OFF it goes again . As I said a very interesting story , Thank you so much .

OlefishermanOlefisherman3 months ago

Liked your story very much the ending was a little lame but it made be just your style and I am not used to it. I also didn't like the choppy chapters. Still thank you so much for your effort.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Just finished,loved it,thank you so much for finishing a lovely story.despite some negative feedback (not from me).will have a look at your other work

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

So captivating! Kudos

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Amazing. I've been told the the British have a dry sense of humor, and that they are superior to others because of their keen wit.

How can this be true when there are so many tears in your stories? Talented writer.

(possibly related to Elizabeth Barret Browning?)

(...how do thee count the ways?)

OU8ME2ICOU8ME2IC11 months ago

Lily, What a beautiful love story. The depth of the characters and storyline were great, which made for a well written story. I appreciate the time and effort you placed (even with your very busy schedule) in writing this memorable story. Thank you.

BHCoupleBHCouple12 months ago

Absolutely fantastic story, love the ending.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Well, just read this story series. Someone described it as a Hallmark movie or bad soap opera. Yeah.... in part. But more accurate would be a chimerical soap opera. Still, I enjoyed it. A solid 4 stars. And I loved the pathos of the core characters. And in an age of extensive DNA testing and cataloging, I'm willing to bet similar if less convoluted things have been found. One side of my family has a history going back almost three centuries with a Native American group, albeit my branch only marginally. But some of those ties were not even discovered until DNA matches and genealogical research showed wrong side of the blanket relatives going back over a 150 years. And unbelievably, one or two of those intermarried with my branch more recently. And as it turned out they were related to me collaterally as well as a close female friend I almost married. And the emotions finding this mixed common descent were strong, including for children of these matches. Some are like close family to me today in my 70s. So I can relate, totally. I would write about this were I a better author.

bigurnbigurnalmost 2 years ago

Well... 3 ⭐ it is. The story is a bit convoluted, as it jumps around too much for my liking. Too many questions were left unanswered. Also, Matt may have accepted fatherhood but he still was an abusive ass who took advantage of a naive woman. A woman who had been a trusting friend. He still needed someone to show up and slap him around a few times.

DuncanitaDuncanitaalmost 2 years ago

We need the tale of Ruth in the conclusion, hahaha

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

15 years ago I’d have said this couldn’t have happened. But a friend finding a half sister in a nearby town (his mother’s oldest daughter) . A friend finding his half sisters after 60 years, and now waiting to hear a mind explosion as a son who just HAD to do the 23 and me DNA test will figure out why he is getting close relative inquiries and is zero match which his 4 half siblings and a half match with his sister.... yes things get convoluted when your parents and for that matter grandparents great grand parents..... we’re 16-20 they did stupid things as well.

PurplefizzPurplefizzabout 2 years ago

I’ve just binged the whole series, apart from wanting to bang several heads together, for continuous stupidity and poor judgment, I’ve gotten to the end of the story. In retrospect I suspect that this could happen, with two principals that would have been emotionally stunted and /or damaged as a result of their childhoods and parental experiences, that said, there were so many twists and turns throughout the series that it almost felt like a bad soap opera rather than a Hallmark movie, however I love the idea that they got to live in the updated farm house and brought children to it after so much heartbreak. 5 stars all the way through as I enjoyed it despite some of the characters being a bit ott. Thanks for writing and posting, cheers Ppfzz.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story loved the twist with Jason.The surprise ending leaves the opening for a subsequent story as we wait with bated breath.

Sam23312Sam23312over 2 years ago

Great story!

I admit I was struggling at first. English stories always seem to start off a bit dry but then, without realizing it, you can't let it go. Great character development which got me invested.

I wound up binge reading the whole thing.

Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

What a collection of losers. Melissa almost grew a spine, but never quite up to it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story, just an amazing read. Would love to see another generational saga with this one. A glimpse back in to see how everyone is in 10 years. Love the characters, though they drove me crazy with their stubbornness. Wishing for more at the end is always a good sign.

BadbeagleBadbeagleover 2 years ago

Great story telling and your characters were complex, even if half way through, I wanted to throttle but MCs. Just two stubborn mules.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

WAUW !

Thanks for sharing ;-)

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This is one fantastic story. I could not stop reading. The complexity of the characters made it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

4/5 I really enjoyed it, but it felt really unrealistic that lissy just forgave matt and jason, even though they never even apologised. Matt's attitude towards the way he treated lissy that summer even made me hope he wasnt the love interest for most of the first half of the story. As someone who has been hurt in a similiar way it is very immsersion breaking the way she just went "welp, water under the bridge" otherwise a great story, although the time jumps between chapters was a little disorienting at times.

Starryeyes_77Starryeyes_77over 2 years ago

Okay…amazing!! I just wished we could’ve read about their wedding!

Horseman68Horseman68almost 3 years ago
Such a Simple Little Family.

Excellent story. Exceptional writing. Bravos.

bigbob2406bigbob2406over 3 years ago

Great story. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
A beautiful, well written story

I’m a total romantic and loved this story So much, thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

It's amazing how many people fail to actually comprehend this story. Or are just plain stupid. Matt never lies to her. If you go to the store and dont tell your wife you went to the store, is it lying? No...its called not telling them something. Melissa didnt ask matt if Charlie was his dad. She did nothing to even probe. Yall must have some pretty toxic relationships if you think that what Matt did constitutes lying in any way, shape or form.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Anon from9/19/19

Do you not understand what you read? Matt was 6 months old when Alex and Ruth were going at it. Just past 1 year old when she ended it and a drunken Alex slept with Jane resulting in Lissy. It's clear as day to those that actually have any reading comprehension ability.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
HOLD ON!

Hadn't they better do some DNA work?

Alex's been going out with Ruth who turns him down - Who's to say they weren't bonking away quite merrily up to that point AND she got pregnant??? And then Charlie gets stiffed after a quick daliance with her and two years later after 'trying again' to get Ruth back on his side -- he screws Jane and viola - Lissy!

So Lissy & Matt are closer than just half siblings!!!

Hmmmm!

Is there something slightly illegal here or at least potentially so???

BUT - 5*

vbr 19pvc44

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Is it a British thing?

Why does she forgive him for lying for so long? Over and over again. And Jason and Matt's emotional abuse when she was a teenager basically turned her into a social and romantic cripple for 20 years. Ruth and Charlie contributed to the issue with more lying and the thing with the letters. Basically everyone from her childhood treated her like an idiot, lied to her, cheated on each other, with each other. Her father banged her mom when she was a teenage babysitter, when he claimed to have come around to see his ex girlfriend, who was married to another man.

Why does she forgive that lying piece of shit? Why does she forgive Matt? Or Jason? They ruined her life. And her shit hole dad just bailed. He loves Ruth, bangs her sister, spends his life trying to find out what happened to Ruth, completely ignored and disregards the teenager her fucked on a whim. Because she meant nothing to him. He was sad, he decided to feel good by banging the sister of the woman he claimed to love, then poof, gone with the wind. She was just a place to keep his dick warm for a few minutes.

If he'd been less of a dishonorable coward, maybe his mother wouldn't have felt like a useless piece of trash, to be fucked and forgotten, and maybe she wouldn't have tried to kill herself.

Every character in this story is human garbage, except Gemma, and Melissa, and Melissa's mom.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Great series

At times felt a bit irritated whenever Melissa interrupted the conversations with Matt. But in the end it was one of the best series on the site! And I don't feel good about this Alex character. Why after all these years? After his wife died? Is he expecting sth to happen like it does in romance novels? If he loved her why wait 35 years? It seems selfish to me to inflict that kind of pain on anyone just for a chance to be with someone you loved a lifetime ago or get some kind of closure. It's not like you are visiting a long lost friend and be like-" Hey man long time no see!". So that visit is totally unwarranted. They should send him away. And anyway if he loved her, why did he sleep with Jane? There may not be any more stories coming but I hope they throw him out of the house.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Good work

I read a couple of your stories now and enjoyed them both. Love the characters.

LalawmanLalawmanabout 6 years ago
Read this straight through the weekend

I really liked the depth of your characters and the twists and turns of the plot. Well worth the read!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Sorry you quit posting.

Your characters were well developed. I was feeling their pain and frustrations. Glad you let the story tell itself. Hope you are able to share your talent again. Thanks for the story.

DalhawkDalhawkabout 7 years ago
Amazing Story

I don't often spend much time on multi-part stories, but this one grabbed me from the beginning. So much for what I had planned to get done this evening. Hours later I'm glad I invested the time. Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Reread, still amazed

Hope u are well and have another tale or multiple in you. Great read, grand traps, twists and turns. Tx for ur gift, nurture it!

pe1erpe1erover 7 years ago
pe1er

Just re-read this after being reminded of it by a link in Similar Stories on something else I read. As before I found it enthralling and a great read.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Amazing

Thanks. I couldn't stop reading. Wonderfully written

Xgirl04Xgirl04almost 8 years ago
Oh my God!!!!

You are one of the best writers I have read so far. Please keep writing and trust me when I say you are a great writer.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Amazing!

I really love this story! I love the interaction between the protagonists and the development of their romance.

DeKreDeKreover 8 years ago
Great story - but...

Really well written, but I find the plot really annoying.

He should have dropped this neurotic bird-brained female in chapter 2 at latest.

OldmarriedtarOldmarriedtaralmost 9 years ago
Alex

After Shelly links the girl in the painting to Melissa, I would have thought that Alex would have looked at Melissa and then say to himself "no it couldn't have happened". Because the sex he had with Jane would have stuck in his mind forever. When Ruth caught Alex with Jane all would have broken out.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Lovely

It is definetly a lovely story. I bet if it's longer it could be published into a book. Though, I think everything's in place - nothing could be added to the story to make it better because it's perfect, the characters, the story, and all those mind blogging revelations. Love it! :)

PaksdmPaksdmabout 9 years ago
had to...

favourite both the story and you - 2 stunning tales in a row - wow!

Thanks for your time and talent :)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
lol

art & ceramics were her interests ..

it's not openly stated , but one might presume

that some of the pottery & other items they sell may well be her creations ..

FiveWolvesFiveWolvesabout 9 years ago
Great

I do wish you'd given Lissy more of a career than opening a tea shop and running an art gallery. It appears she never followed her dreams or used her artistic talents, which is sad.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago

You'd think her dad could have been a little more shocked in finding out she was his daughter. Instead he fixates on his granddaughter and Ruth. I felt bad for Melissa. I know he didn't love her mother, but still you'd think he would be more amazed in that she's his daughter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago

Great story, I really loved it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
old faithful

ive read this story about 3 times and always enjoy it.

IrfonIrfonabout 10 years ago

What an excellent story !! Thanks....

winchesterfoxwinchesterfoxabout 10 years ago
Couldn't we all aspire...

...to the resilience and ability to forgive shown here. And unless YOU are really unhappy with your life now, think where you might be, if you hadn't made the mistakes you made and had the successes you've had. Who's to say it would have been worse (or better)? It just is, living with resilience, forgiveness, and grace. Nice fiction, with a willing suspension of disbelief, inspiring in a low key sort of way, and very entertaining.

Cindi47Cindi47over 10 years ago
Fantastic story!!

I thoroughly enjoyed this story! Families keep secrets that can cause such problems as adults when they come to light! I ought to know it happened to me and I could sympathize with the characters! Non the less it was a great romantic story!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Wow!

Seriously amazing! Have you been published yet? I would definitely pay for these fabulous stories. So emotionally-charged, sexy, and real.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Author!!! Author!!!

My husband has jealously asked me who was keeping me up late at night...evanslily. My favorite author here....love love your stories. 😘

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

Thanks so much, really enjoyed this story. Love your writing style and character development... Joy

avidfaavidfaover 10 years ago
Well written, awful ideas

Even if excused as conventional, what awful, awful ideas! Matt has a miserable childhood with an unloving mother, Lissy has a miserable life and her mother's life was so horrific she finally committed suicide. But all anyone has to say is, "sorry" or maybe not even that much, and everyone is happy and smiling like the ending of a 50's family sitcom.

Matt's best friend does everything to destroy his relationship with Lissy, resulting in Lissy being a stunted virgin at 29. Punishment? None, he was *sorry*.

Matt's mother was hateful to Lissy for 20 years, and tried to steal her inheritance. Her punishment? A loving relationship with her granddaughter.

Lesson learned: be a hateful bully for as long as it serves your interests, then, when at last it's in your interest to do so, apologize for 3 seconds, and then you get to gain additional benefit at the table of your victim without any penalty.

What an awful, awful thing to tell victims, that their suffering doesn't count, and no one has to answer for the evil things they do to them. It's up to the victims to accept facile apologies as payment in full for decades of mistreatment. The only rational path is to be a right bastard to the weak, then apologize once they're strong, and they'll invite you to move in.

Awful, awful, awful.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
I can't sleep

Lily thank u for an awesome read and now I'm hooked on romance again.

Hopefully u will keep me glued to my mobile.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
You are an extrordinary story teller....

which in my opinion is far better than being "just" a good author... I am hooked on your stories, the characters are so very real and the emotions truly shine forth through your skill. I love the plot lines as well and am looking forward to reading all you kindly submit for our reading pleasure!!!

A BIG fan... maggie

fanfarefanfareover 10 years ago
relieved

Lilly, I have enjoyed reading your story, "Back to the Farm". You write with skill and your characters are true to the storyline.

I am relieved that my early paranoia did not pan out. I look forward to reading the rest of your submissions.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Great story!!

I absolutely enjoyed this series of yours, well written and put together. Can't wait to read your other series!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

Great series, truly enjoyed it.

ManofMithgarManofMithgaralmost 11 years ago
Back to the Farm

I really enjoyed this series and I am glad to read that you are writing on Smashwords.com. I will have to check you out there. It is much easier to carry my Nook than my laptop.

Wonderful character development and story line. I enjoyed it immensely.

dairetodairetoalmost 11 years ago
YAY!!!!!!!!

Love love love it!

Awesome story, just fantastic. i had to stay up till i finished them all!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Great Read!

I just read chapter 1-14. Some of the best writing I have seen here! I did skip some of the reflection and back story towards the last chapters. Wanted to get to see what happened. Thanks for sharing. :-)

RhomanovRhomanovalmost 11 years ago
Finally!

Some new stupid (brain challenged) characters.

Chuckle.

Good tale.

Thx.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago

I see that many people have really enjoyed this, but I couldn't make it to the end. I lost track of all the relationships between all the characters, and frankly, didn't care enough about them to try to figure it out. Matt I like, sort of, but Melissa is an irritating, weak, self-indulgent, impractical, not-too-bright diva. I've never before encountered a heroine so adept at weeping, collapsing, and running away. In the real world, this girlie would have no female friends - no-one would have the patience to put up with her. Of everyone here, I liked Jason the most. Despicable as his hiding the letters was, he was the only character in the whole saga prepared to fight for what he wanted.

UpHillAllUpHillAllabout 11 years ago

Amazing throughout all the chapters

thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
family tree

Very nice story and well wriiten. Though I did have to scratch out my notes on the family tree and then rewrite them.

OldKingClancyOldKingClancyover 11 years ago
Amazing work

I discovered this story when looking through your other work, I wanted to read it all the way through before I commented on it.

This really is an amazing story. Incredibly well written, wonderful emotions through it all, twist after twist that kept me reading on and on. Brilliantly flawed characters (I think Lissy is one of the best developed characters I've read on this site) that I just wanted to see get together.

My only complaint - and it's so small it doesn't really matter - is that the time jump from ch. 13 to 14 is quite sudden. Other than that I love this story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
YES!

Lit won't let me log in anymore, so I've lost access to all my old favorite stories. I could NOT remember the name of this story. I'd given up searching for it... And then tonight I stumbled upon it by accident. I was SO excited! *lol*

Thanks again for such a great story! Not often you find well-written, dynamic stories on Lit! :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Wonderful

I don't know how many times I've read 'Back to the Farm', but I enjoy it each time. I purchased three of your novellas at smashwords, over a year ago, and have read them several times too. Glad to hear your writing something new.

tavernkeepertavernkeeperover 11 years ago
fantastic

Thank you so very much for this gift. I do hope you find the time to continue to contribute more stories.

evanslilyevanslilyover 11 years agoAuthor
Relationships

No, Lissy and Matt aren't related in any way except marriage. I know it's confusing though. Of all my stories, this is the one in biggest need of a rewrite!

Matt is Charlie's son. Charlie's wife Suzy had a sister called Jane. Lissy is Jane's daughter.

Hope that helps clear things up a bit!

Lily

-x-

JohnnyMaxJohnnyMaxover 11 years ago
relationships

Alec fathered both Lissy and Matt - half-siblings.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago

im glad i didn't find this till after you finished all the chapters cause i would have been mad at you all the time for not having the next chapter done this is one of the best thing i have read thank you for such a captivating stories

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Simple Thanks

That's all I can offer. You've kindled within me a love I didn't know I could have for romance literature, bloody brilliant work. Makes me want to make this into a movie, or bang out some of Matt McKenzie's oil paintings. I only hope you still know the love you have inspired in others, myself included. Oh, and everyone boggling in the comments about the web of relatives gave me a right laugh :)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
RelationShips

Anonymous 05/14/12:

No, Jane (Lissy's mum) was Suzie's (Charlie's childless wife's) sister.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago

So Jane (Lissy's mom) and Ruth (Matt's mom) are sisters... For some reason that didn't hit me until the end. Still a great story and all, but Lissy and Matt being first cousins is kind of weird.

MrVdogMrVdogabout 12 years ago
Reminds me of a song

"I'm My Own Grandpa"

Look it up.

avidreader123avidreader123about 12 years ago
I need a diagram

I can't keep how everyone is related straight. It's like a plate of spaghetti. Great story!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
amazing

This story is really amazing. Couldn't stop reading. One of my favorites. Great writing!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
omg asdfghjkl

omg. the story was AMAZING. it was confusing at times and i had to reread some parts but the charcters, plot, imagery, etc was pretty much flawless. keep writing!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

I never get tired of reading your work! have reread them all time & again! can't wait for more!

Seamless_HarmonySeamless_Harmonyover 12 years ago
Wow!

What an insane (but great) story! I never try to make predictions because they always turn our wrong, lol. I loved how it all came together in the end, but there seemed to be a lot of random people sleeping with random people, lol. I will be off to read more in the future. I want to read all of your stuff!

4321asdf4321asdfover 12 years ago

Read it a second time. Loved it and your other work, its time for something new!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Amazing!

I have read every single chapter of every book you have written now, and I absolutely love them! You are a great writer that makes amazing, heartfelt stories. I find it funny how all of your main characters are crazy, but it all adds to make a great story!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Incredible

That was incredibly detailed. It all seemed to come together in the last 2 chapters. I just can't seem to be able to put words to what I am thinking, maybe I should just go to bed. Thanks and keep writing! blessings

prashant1225prashant1225almost 13 years ago
Can't wait for more!

You are by far the one writer that I have fallen in love with. Your work is amazing and I can't wait to read more. I hope you continue to bless readers on this site with your work and I get to enjoy your words for many years to come. Always Keep Writing!!!

iamsuziamsuzalmost 13 years ago

I've just read all your stories now, and loved every one :)I love a good romance and these definitely are. I hope you'll have time to write lots more on here though I think publishers will be silly if they don't get your work into print!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Well done

An excellent and well written story. The right mix on anxiety and action.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Bittersweet

I have just finished reading "Back to the Farm" and I am very upset. This means that I have finished all of your novels! I've been plowing through them like chips, and delicious ones at that, ever since i started reading them yesterday. LOVE YOUR WORK!!!!! PLEASE WRITE MORE!!!! ( so that I can pig out on them when you do) ; ] <3

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
wonderful!

this was one of the best romance novels I've ever read! Really delightful! I can't say how much I liked it :-) I laughed, I cried, it was great! And not just immensely entertaining but also incredibly well-written! Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
great story!

from the 1st chapter to the last, this was a great story. prior to this one i read "anything for you" and started reading "caught by the tide" before i'd finished this one. don't suppose you'll have another story ready and waiting by next week? :) i would love to see your stories brought to life on lifetime or lmn.

ScifiantScifiantabout 13 years ago
Great story! Loved It!!!

I got so involved in this story I read it from chap. 1 to 14 in one night! I'm writing this at 1230am and I have to say that this is a wonderful story. I have travelled extensively in the UK and could picture the farm in my mind as I was reading - even the flat that Lissa was in!

The portrayal of the characters was well fleshed out and gave one a feeling of realism. I would love another chapter introducing Lissa to her step sisters and getting to know her father (please...???).

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
LOVED IT

Whats funny is I'm an american and by just reading your stuff I want to go to the UK, that guys a loser, forget it. You are a gifted writer. I hope you get published one day. Great job!!

evanslilyevanslilyabout 13 years agoAuthor
LOL :)

Thanks for pointing that last comment out, Anon - I missed that one. :) That's too funny. :)

I've spent <i>all</i> my days in the UK, apart from a few weeks' worth of European holidays - oh, and 3 days in New York back in 2004. I'm horribly English, sorry! I love the idea that someone thinks I'm pretending, though x x

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
loved it!!

I don't know what the previous persons problem was but this is one of my favourite stories.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
you've never spent a single day in UK, have you? Hah.

And your story is the most bolloxed-up attempt at "romance" I've seen. Daft bird.

sexykitty4playsexykitty4playabout 13 years ago
Never get tired....

I swear I have read this story so many times and it still wraps me up in this world. I love the way you write. Its amazing!! Thanks for sharing your gift with us.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Thank you Lily

for taking me on this journey. You are a gifted writer, and I appreciate you.

ArieluArieluabout 13 years ago
I haven't worked for the past two days ...

Because this story is so damn brilliant. I'm a stickler for a good cry, drama and romance... I loved it

Ania588Ania588over 13 years ago
AMAZING ...

Your stories are amazing as always :) I read them all and not one chapter is boring :) PLZ wirte more :) I read all your stories in a day.. pulled an all nighter lol . but oh well, at least I was reading :)

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous