Bard's Tale 06 - Tahna, and more

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I rather like the song," Reison commented.

Mindal perked up, giving him her attention. "You do?"

"Yeah. The tune's catchy, and I like that it's about a lady wanderer. Most of the time the protagonist is a guy. And while the first part of the chorus changes, the second half is consistent, helping unify the song's overall structure. You keep dismissing it, but it's kind of growing on me."

Flushing at the praise and grinning happily, the bard reached for his hand, and he clasped it. Both her sisters grinned as she hummed a few bars of the tune as they looked for seating.

The commons were busier than expected, but as the Solstice celebrations were coming up and folk from outlying areas were entering the capital to celebrate, such was to be expected. The Whisper Winds had been in the city a single day, and they had booked the last room Grey Wolf had available. From long experience, the sisters knew accommodations would only get scarcer while room prices would continue to skyrocket.

A waitress spied the four looking around and bustled over, guiding them to a small table abutting the wall with sturdy chairs and a long bench. She took their orders for drinks and breakfast and departed.

"Reison?" The priestess looked at him across the table. "I want to apologize. When I was talking to Mindal, I directed my instructions to her. I realize I talked about you as if you weren't there. I hope you weren't offended."

"I do prefer to actively be a part of any discussion, First Wife. Old habits need replacing is all. While I admit that a visit to the Bard College would have been fun, your reasons have merit. I'm not used to having guards and servants about, much less thinking we need them, but I can see the value in what you say. They can protect our home while we run errands, train, and focus on what's important to us. Since I'm not fluent in the local languages yet, I'm happy to watch and learn from your expertise, Tia."

Mindal and Tahna, seated next to him, debated about who was going to protect who while Reison assured them both that they were both very fine examples of young and attractive maidenhood. Both sisters immediately agreed such sentiment was worthy of a kiss. He gently cupped Mindal's face first, happily delivering loving affection, and then he did the same to Tahna. Both were flushed, gazing at him with heated yet silent promises when he was done.

The waitress returned with tea, coffee, chilled water, and mugs of juice before scooting to the next table.

To Tia's disappointment, the kitchen was out of chamomile tea. The priestess settled for juice and cold water. Then she turned her seat, looking around for the young messenger boy. "I don't see young Master Allyn."

"He's not very tall, you know." Tahna stood up and scanned around. "I'll go get him. He's standing on the far side of the fireplace."

The lean woman in her gi strode over through the bustling room. Several eyes followed her, her youth and beauty drawing their attention, but most of those admiring glances did not include discreet gropes seeing as she wore the robes of a warrior monk. Once she had the boy's attention, she pointed to where they were seated, and let him lead the way.

When offered breakfast, he demurred, but they all insisted. An extra chair was found and space was made for the boy between Tia and Mindal. The three women ate fried potato omelets with a slice of apple pancake, and Tia cut a portion off from her plate for the boy to eat. Reison opted for grilled ham and Mindal had three extra sides of bacon, closing her eyes and savoring each piece of crunchy, savory goodness, scarfing down the salty strips with alacrity.

Reison tried to sneak himself a piece of bacon, but when she caught him, she was a little flustered before she handed over the slice, grudgingly admitting, "I guess I do love you more than bacon."

"She's got it bad, Reison, for her to admit such words in public," Tia said with a grin.

"He's worth it," Tahna said, giving him a smile. "Besides, bacon doesn't hug you and kiss back."

To Mindal's delight, her savory gift earned her another kiss; shorter than before, but more than just a quick peck. When he saw Tahna watching intently, he clasped one hand and both did their best to eat one-handed; it was clear Tahna was thrilled to hold his hand through breakfast.

Tia made sure to give the young boy a silver penny for arriving and being ready to work at the requested time.

"But I haven't done anything yet," the boy said.

The priestess replied, "Do you agree that the money is mine to do with as I wish?"

"Yes, Lady."

"Then it pleases me to give you this penny, Master Allyn. You worked hard for me yesterday, and consider this a bonus for arriving so promptly this morning."

The others ate quietly as Tia gently grilled him about his family. Allyn, at six years old, was the only boy out of four surviving children, all of whom were under nine. His widowed mother worked at a laundry with his three sisters; his mother earned two copper pennies a day for ten hours work, plus an extra penny for the labor earned by her three young helpers.

While the young boy ate his meal, the priestess discreetly murmured some minor spells and checked his health. A bit undernourished, but otherwise healthy. The others quietly observed that Mindal added a slice of bacon to the boy's plate while he was distracted. He munched down the discovered meat with obvious delight. After he had made some headway with the rest of his meal, the bard gave him a second slice, again when he wasn't looking. When he saw another on his plate, he openly grinned at the bard as he devoured that piece, too.

Mindal saw her husband's raised eyebrows. When she said, "Well, he's a growing boy!" he just chuckled at her. Blushing at him, he grinned wider when she silently gave her husband his own second slice.

After breakfast was settled, Tia negotiated to stay another three nights and paid in advance. Citing the current holidays, additional nights were at double the previous rate, and both breakfast and dinner meals were now separate charges.

Tia paid without comment. The price gouging was officially discouraged, but nearly all the merchants did it during the summer holiday season.

Outside, a gig was flagged down and the five passengers rode first to the banking office of Hardy and Johnson, the address provided by the priestess. Funds were withdrawn, with a few thousand in gems and coin given to both Reison and Mindal for their afternoon trip to the Guild. The priestess had the two bank drafts needed for the purchase ready, plus a large mix of coins for herself, Mindal, and Reison, though Tahna declined to take any.

Next, they dropped Master Allyn at the Revenue office with the letter and instructions, taking care to point out the building visible down the street he was to go to after his delivery. The boy happily repeated back his instructions before undertaking his task.

Payment for the journey was made to the driver, and he agreed to wait at a nearby cafe for an additional five silver pennies, three of which were paid in advance, with extra penny to buy a carafe of coffee and three sweetbreads to help him pass the time, two of which he gave to his horse.

With that, the Whisper Wind family entered the government building and made their way to the Land Office on the first floor. Inside the main lobby there was already a queue at each of the two open windows. Master Konnokos, the haughty realtor, was already present and seated on a bench along the wall, his feet tapping in annoyance.

Tia ignored his presence, walking directly to a third, closed window. Above it was a sign that read "Gentry and Nobility Only" in both Ba'lorian and high elven. Her family gathered behind her.

The priestess tapped firmly on the glass. After tapping a second time, the window shade snapped up and glass window slid aside.

A bored middle-aged civil service worker glanced at them before saying, "Name and title?"

"Mother Tia Whisper Wind, Temple Legate and Queen's Minister Without Portfolio. Temple Legate and Minister both equate to the rank of Baroness. I am entitled to make use of this window for expedited service."

"I assume these others are with you? May I see some identification, Mother?"

"Certainly." Tia opened her day pack and withdrew two mid-sized, leather-bound documents, pushing both along the polished wood surface to the clerk.

The man examined them and frowned. "These are for someone named Tia Landers, not Whisper Wind. Would you care to explain?"

"I got married last month. You'll see on the church document the amendment from the Duchess of Biyandi, noting the change of my surname of Landers to Whisper Wind, along with Her Grace's signature and seal."

"I'm afraid that I will need to get confirmation."

As he started to take the items away and close the window, Tia exclaimed, "Wait! You may get a supervisor if you need, but you may not take those documents out of my sight!"

The clerk looked like he might protest and tried to close the window, but Tia pushed the window all the way open, reaching for her documents. "No, sir! I know my rights. Get your supervisor, but return my documents to my hand before you leave, sir. On that matter, I must insist!"

With a scowl, he handed them back to the priestess, and once her hands were beyond the window's barrier, the glass was closed and the shade dropped back into place.

"Problem?" Reison quietly asked in high elven.

Tia shrugged as she turned to face him. "Shouldn't be. But normally I never deal with this office. Once my credentials are established, everything should smooth out. I don't expect any problems here, but letting my identification papers out of sight, even a beginning mage with criminal intent could duplicate them, and that would be very bad."

He raised his eyebrows at her. "Baroness?"

She grinned and gave him a wink. "It's a political rank, not a hereditary one, so it doesn't carry over to you, I'm afraid. I'm still the same woman who jumped over a broom and is still ever so madly in love with you."

Reison smiled back, then took her hand and deliberately kissed each of her knuckles. Tia flushed, feeling the heat bloom in her heart and belly at his courtly display of affection. "Oh, you are so bad, sir, to treat your wife so boldly."

Hearts fluttering, Mindal and Tahna each held out a hand to him. He smoothly kissed each in turn. Then he drew them close, one to each side, giving each one a kiss, and they sighed, laying their heads against his chest and enjoying their closeness. Tia smiled affectionately at their happiness. The interaction helped pass the time while they waited.

Several minutes passed before the window shade went up and the glass window opened again. An older man with a finer cut of apparel, wire-rim spectacles, and clean-shaven face appeared beside the first clerk.

On seeing the priestess, he looked startled, then quickly recovered. He gave her a short bow. "Mother Tia, it's good to see you again! How may we help you today?"

Tia beamed as she stepped back to the window. "Sir Jasper, what a pleasant surprise. I had no idea you were here."

"I happened to be visiting, actually," he replied. "I overheard your name mentioned and stepped in. What can the Queen's Land Office do for you, Mother?"

"Please, forgive my manners, Sir Jasper. I believe you already know my sister, Tahna. This our younger sister, Mindal. And this is our husband, Goodman Reison Whisper Wind. I am Reison's First Wife. Family, this is Sir Jasper Smythe, Deputy Chancellor for Public Works and a member of the Queen's Privy Council."

Giving a polite nod, the senior civil servant said, "A pleasure to meet you all."

"Sir Jasper, we intend to become permanent residents for the foreseeable future. To that end, we are here to record the purchase of a building within the boundary of Charlottesville." The next sentence she spoke a bit louder. "The realtor is behind us, Master Konnokos. Master Konnokos? Pray attend us."

Returning to a more normal volume, Tia continued. "While we record the sale with witnesses and pay the transfer fees, I would appreciate it if one of your excellent staff would be good enough to look up the tax record for 1010 Snapdragon Street? I want verification that the property taxes are current through this year before we complete the transaction."

The older man nodded. "Certainly. Baxter, go look up the tax record for her ladyship. 1010 Snapdragon. Grab an assistant to help conduct the search if you need." The clerk bowed to Sir Jasper and disappeared into the rows of cubicles and workers visible behind them. Sir Jasper finished with, "Now, if you will all come to this side door, we can conclude the sale and transfer while seated in comfort."

Quickly closing up the service window, the side door opened.

The four Whisper Wind members toward the door. At Tia's gesture, the realtor jumped to his feet and they all entered the office foyer. Sir Jasper closed the door behind them, then led them down a hallway to a small conference room with cushioned chairs around a sturdy table.

As expected, the entire process took just over two hours. Proof of paid property taxes was found by Clerk Baxter. Looking at the record, Tia confirmed the property had no other owners. A notary was added to the group. Payments were made to the realtor, documents signed, witnessed, and registered by Sir Jasper and the notary. Each of the Whisper Winds signed in the appropriate places. An ink pad was provided and Tia used her personal stamp, after which the notary and Sir Jasper added their own information, completing the sale and registration of ownership.

Tia produced the twenty-five hundred royals in land transfer and notary fees in large denomination coins, which Sir Jasper collected. The Notary wrote out a receipt for each transaction. The senior civil servant handed Tia their copy of the Builder's Report.

Master Konnokos then insisted on receiving his one hundred gold royals before beginning his portion of the sale. After getting the coins, he tossed onto the table the requested receipts Tia had demanded he bring.

Sir Jasper frowned at the man's belligerence to the priestess who was clearly of a higher social standing.

Unsurprisingly, the realtor also signed as the authorized agent for Mercury Trading Lines, now solely operating out of the Caloren States, completing the sale of the property.

When all was done, the priestess collected all their copies of the documents, including the Builder's Report, storing everything in her document bag within her day pack. Of the keys handed over, she gave the second key to the front entrance to Reison and put the others into her wallet.

The realtor, appearing to be in a hurry, collected both bank vouchers as well as the small bag of coins into a small carrying case. Rising to stand, he opened the door to exit.

Only to find his way blocked by two Revenue agents, both of them flashing badges at him. "Master Konnokos? Queen's Revenue Service. Please remain inside here until these other people leave. We have some questions for you."

Sir Jasper and the Whisper Wind family exited to the hallway. Glancing at Tia and the now closed door, the civil servant quietly remarked, "That seemed rather convenient."

As they walked to the door leading to the main lobby, Tia quickly explained her concerns and the man's treatment of them during the property tour and afterward.

The civil servant nodded. "If he is no longer a resident with no property ownership within the Kingdom, it changes his status, and increases the amount of tax due from the property sale. You likely saved the Crown an extra ten thousand royals in taxes." He chuckled. "Well played, Minister. And well deserved, I dare say. Honest tradesmen have better manners. A pleasure to have met your family, Mother Tia. Goodman Whisper Wind." He shook Reison's hand, then opened the door for them to exit. "Congratulations to your family on your new home!"

As the others exited, Tia asked, "Sir Jasper, do you happen to know where I might find any reputable architects?"

"Yes, there are two in this very building. The office of Fenfield, Barger, Elliot, and Krenshaw is on the second floor. They are well established in the capital. If you prefer young and hungry, on the third floor you can find the office of Geoff Ashburn. He's certified both as an architect and as a civil engineer."

"I appreciate the references, Sir Jasper."

"Happy to be of help, Mother Tia. Have a good day." He gave a nod of his head as a show of respect and disappeared behind the office door.

Standing in the lobby, the four Whisper Winds looked at each other. Tia held out her hands and they linked together. "So how does it feel?" she asked them with a grin. "It's a dusty, over-sized warehouse at the moment, but it's now our home, free and clear."

They laughed as they shared a group hug with plenty of kisses with their husband.

After they broke apart, they saw the young messenger boy rise from his seat along the wall and approach. "Did everything go like you planned, your ladyship?"

The priestess knelt to look the boy in the eyes. "It did, indeed, Master Allyn. Did you have any difficulty?"

"No, Lady. Once they opened the letter, they were very polite to me, and two of them came right away."

"Excellent. Hold out your hand, young sir." She handed him two silver pennies. "Are you open for another job?"

"Oh, yes, Lady!"

"Perfect. I have a luncheon date in two hours and I suspect I will be left to my own devices." The priestess looked pointedly at Tahna -- who nodded in agreement. "Master Allyn, may I count on you to be my escort?"

"Me?" The young boy looked unsure.

"I feel awkward offering you payment, but I can promise you a hearty meal and a chance to meet several important people. We should be done no later than four o'clock this afternoon. Would you do this as a special favor to me?"

Master Allyn said with the earnest seriousness of the very young, "Yes, Lady."

"Excellent, my young sir!" Standing up, Tia confirmed with Mindal and Reision their plans.

"We're heading to the Fighters Guild, of course," the bard replied.

Reison nodded, giving Mindal a grin.

"Can you pay the driver waiting across the street for me an extra penny and ask him to wait another half hour?"

"Sure." The bard waited for Reison to kiss Tia goodbye, then they strode out together, hand in hand.

Turning to the remaining sister, she asked, "And what are your plans?"

Tahna shook her head. "It's personal. I have something to check out, and it can't wait."

"Oh? Anything I can help with?"

The warrior monk shook her head.

Tia raised her eyebrows a moment, then nodded. "All right. Will we see you back at the inn for dinner at six?"

"I expect so," her sister replied, looking to the doorway.

Giving her a brief hug, Tia said, "I hope whatever it is works out the way you want, Sis."

"That's the plan," Tahna replied. The monk shook hands with the boy, then exited the lobby.

The priestess said, "Well, good sir, we have business on the third floor. Shall we go?"

"Yes, Lady."

As they ascended the stairs, Tia heard a flopping sound and noticed the boy's left heel had come loose. On the second-floor landing, she halted. Despite his embarrassment, she had him remove his low boots. Unsurprisingly, he wore no socks.

The priestess examined his footwear. She cast the clean orison on his person, thereby cleaning both his dirty feet and erasing some smudges on his neck. The chafing became more readily apparent.

"Please remove the other boot," she told him quietly.

His face worried, he did as he was bid.

The other foot was as bad. Flashing on working with footwear that pinched and cramped one's feet, Tia cast cure minor wounds to deal with boy's feet, then stood. With the polished wood and marble of the building's interior, he should have no problems.