Bard's Tale 06 - Tahna, and more

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"My sister broke the rules and will pay for her actions. We also have instances here of bureaucratic malfeasance within Mother Church. There is my own situation, which should never have been allowed to become an issue at all. Next, witnesses said that my sister demanded the Lash, but I find that verification of that fact under a detect lie spell must be made. Who was it who said my sister demanded the Lash? Further, how was the Lash secured so quickly? It's supposed to be a restricted artifact, yet it was there and being used on her in record time. Finally, Tahna's punishment began and completed before the required witnesses were even assembled.

"I see a pattern here, Master Dorian, and it's not a pretty picture. As Legate, it is within my power to open and oversee the investigation into this entire matter. I will not do so for two reasons, First, I have duties to Her Majesty that require my attention. Second, my obligations as my husband's First Wife that require I see to making our home fit to live in. As Legate, I hereby task you with finding the answers to these other questions. That only gives you a short window of time. Do you recognize my lawful authority and the importance of your given task?"

"Yes, Mother Tia, I recognize your authority."

"You have ten days to find the answers, including today. I also expect a progress report in four days' time to update Her Majesty. When you broke the succor bead, I had to cancel a meeting with the Queen at the last minute, and she will want to know what happened. I warn you, have a care in your investigations, sir. I expect logic, facts, and evidence, not hearsay or salacious rumor. I will not be lenient if I learn you or your assistants have bullied and intimidated others the same way you have done to me! Do you understand me, Master Dorian?"

He stood from the chair he'd been sitting in. "Yes, I understand, Mother Tia. My next words could be construed as self-serving, but please understand that I mean them from the bottom of my heart. I'm glad you chose happiness - and not for my sake but for yours -- and I sincerely wish you and your family all the best."

Master Dorian held out his hand and with a brief nod from the high priestess, they shook hands; when he moved to withdraw it, she held onto his hand while she quietly prayed, "Dearly Beloved, please guide Master Dorian and his work to find the truth, so that we may all serve You better. As You will, so it is."

He gave her an odd look, then departed without another word.

I apologize for the mental intrusion, Mother Tia, but I need to know, are you all right?

Queen Dorothy! She spoke via telepathy, her powerful thoughts easily felt half-way across the city.

Tia calmed her thoughts and replied. Yes, I'm fine, Your Majesty. I apologize for missing lunch with you and the others today. I'm here at the temple to the Earth Mother, with my sister Tahna lying abed in the Healing Ward.

The Queen responded, Don't worry about us, Mother Tia. Lady Anya is here and has presented her credentials. She is officially the representative of the Duchy of Biyandi to our Court. Sir Jasper has just related how you earned the Crown over ten thousand royals in additional taxes. Well done, Minister! Then Captain Baker told us about your arrival and abrupt departure. We are just talking about it at the Council meeting and there was concern that you might need our assistance. Can you tell us what's happened?

Tia relayed the afternoon's events since her arrival at the temple and the tasks. Though the queen did not say so, it was clear she was unhappy about the turn of events.

The queen mentally replied, I will set aside time on the calendar for us to meet in five days so I can hear that progress report. My sister Diane will also be interested in what's happened. I will pass along to her what you've told me. I am saddened to hear about Tahna's actions as well as her suspension. She has served the church and the people of Tildor with dedication and honor for many decades. Would you me like to ask my sister, Doctor Theo, to look in on Tahna?

Tia replied, I will ask Tahna her preferences and let you know when we next meet. What time works for you, Your Majesty?

Let's try lunch again, at the first bell after the noon hour in five days. That puts it on the twelfth.

I look forward to seeing you, Your Majesty. Till then!

The next instant, the strong female presence was gone. She liked the Queen, but found keeping her thoughts restricted during telepathy to be tiring. She much preferred regular speech. Tia checked on Tahna, but she was still out of it.

Stepping away into the healing ward itself, and seeing the many people still waiting for help, Tia looked around. Besides the acolyte keeping watch, there was only one mid-level priestess working alone. At this rate, Tia knew it would be hours before the ward cleared, barring the arrival of any new clients petitioning for healing help.

Using her own past experience working as a healer, she quickly cast several helpful spells to quickly render the proper aid. These spells included diagnose injury, detect parasite, detect disease, detect lycanthropy, detect pregnancy, detect good and evil, detect magic, detect curse, detect poison, know age, and know temperature. Most of these simple divinations would last for many hours before the magic faded. With such useful information readily available at a mere thought, Tia stepped to the next occupied bed and began interacting and treating the patient.

For those needing minor assistance, Tia performed the requested service and told them to pay the acolyte at the desk whatever they felt the service was worth. Normally, there were set fees and the priest performing such service would get a percentage for their efforts. The funds generated and the spells cast combined to help advance one's skill. While slower than adventuring, it was a common means by which many clergy used to become more powerful.

By the garments the other priestess wore, Tia knew the other woman was somewhere midway between a priestess and a high priestess, but without pausing to stare, she couldn't tell for sure. Normally, too, Tia expected there to be more staff present, but dismissed any worry due to the nearness of the upcoming holidays. Such annual events could easily mess with normal schedules and services.

Besides, some of the richer patrons and more experienced adventurers pretty much assumed that going to the temple meant getting instant service! That made her chuckle. As if! Having enough gold wasn't the issue, though it helped. The real issue was if the priest had the skill to cast the needed spells as well as actually having the energy to channel such divine power.

In short order, Tia cleared several beds. More serious issues and requests were met with the phrase, "You are on your honor to thank the Lawgiver for your good fortune and give what you can." She performed whatever healing was needed and moved on.

Over the next hour, but for two beds the other priestess had been working on, the rest of the ward was cleared. The young acolyte was kept hopping -- taking and recording payments and then busy cleaning the beds for future patients. Even two patients that arrived during the interim were seen and healed, told to pay what they felt it was worth, and sent on their way.

As for cleaning the beds? Healing might be performed via divine magic, but she and her fellow priests also knew about hygiene and germ theory, and they practiced cleanliness as a foundational protocol for all patient treatment. Lending a hand to the acolyte, she grabbed a bucket of soap-rinse, applied it to the water-proofed mattresses and their slick covering. Between the two of them, they made short work of the remaining beds. A wink from Tia resulted in a grin from her young companion.

As Tia stood taking a deserved break, the other priestess approached. Better able to see the woman's clothing, she determined her fellow priestess was at the rank of canon, a title for someone at the senior-most level of journeyman rank and just two ranks below that of high priestess.

The woman quickly glanced at the other empty beds, licked her lips, and gave a short yet respectful bow. "Mother?"

Tired but amused, Tia smiled. "Yes?"

"Um... would you mind ever so much helping me with these last two patients?"

Giving her a bigger smile, she held out her hand. "My name's Tia."

A brief shake. "Coriander. Corie for short."

"All right, Corie. Before we head over, please tell me what you believe we are dealing with."

"One is sick with an especially strong pulmonary affliction. I can temporarily ease his breathing, but I'm not of sufficient experience to cure his malady. His two assistants aren't infected, but my detection spell shows that both men have also suffered lung damage. Prolonged exposure to whatever it is will lead to them contracting the same illness. This leads me to believe that it's not a contagion but rather environmental damage causing the disease. It is just a matter of time before his assistants suffer the same disease."

Tia raised her eyebrows in appreciation at her diagnosis, nodding at her logical assumptions. "And the other group?"

The older priestess continued. "The second patient is an adventurer accompanied by his three friends. I could perform the spell he's asked for, but not only would it drain most of what spell energy I have remaining, I don't believe it will be enough to do what he truly wants. I'm not sure what his motivation is, but I fear it's the cost. He desires to pay the least amount of coin and then spent weeks healing in bed. I also believe he's more seriously injured than he's letting on."

"The disease sounds quicker, so let's do that one first. Lead on, Corie."

The ill craftsman and his two helpers were examined, and were exactly as had been presented by the priestess. After identifying the distinct smells from their clothing, Tia realized they were professional tanners and leather workers. All three were quickly healed, then she admonished them to work with more ventilation in the future, and if they were unable to do so, to purchase breathing masks from a licensed apothecary and not to skimp. While the masks were inconvenient, they protected their health over the long term.

"The temple is here to help you live healthy and happy lives. If you don't either use more ventilation or pay the coin to use the safety masks, you will be back inside two years. The Lawgiver loves you, but persistent stupidity and unwarranted parsimony tests Her patience."

The men thanked her, paid their fees, and departed.

Tia and the other priestess moved to their last patient, the battered adventurer. She told his friends to help remove his armor, and immediately noticed one of the women with him speaking quietly; she was translating her words into Greek.

The injured man shook his head no, and replied to Tia in broken Ba'lorian, "Coin for little heal. Stop the bleed. Then go we do."

Pursing her lips, switched to Greek and Tia sternly told him, "You came here for healing, so don't presume to tell me what's needed, young man! I didn't ask you what kind of funds you have nor do I care. I need to see what I'm dealing with." Turning to his friends, she told them, "Remove his armor. You can set it onto the next bed if you need to."

After they got over their surprise at her speaking their language in the manner of a learned scholar, they went to work despite the fighter's grumbling.

Noticing Corie's confusion with following along, Tia quietly asked, "You don't speak Greek? That's easily remedied. Will you accept the gift of tongues? That way you can follow along with what's happening."

Surprised at Tia's generosity, she replied, "Yes, Mother!"

Corie received the spell, then Tia returned her attention to the patient and his friends. She noticed they tried to remove his armor without causing him undue discomfort.

The woman translator was a mid-twenty-something brunette and Tia guessed was some sort of magic user. The second woman, dressed as a warrior but in lighter gear and choice of weapons was likely an archer specialist; she was a svelte, early-twenties blonde with shoulder-length hair and blue-green eyes. Briefly spying what could have been a moon pendant, Tia guessed she might be a follower of Artemis, but without a better look, the blonde could be a follower of Hecate, or even of another faith entirely.

The second man also wore chain armor, but instead of sword and shield, he carried a war hammer and buckler. Based on their accents, the men might be Caloreni, but Tia couldn't be sure. As expected, both men were dressed as Hellenes matching their Greek speech, but both women wore more culturally-neutral clothing. Then something drew her back to the blonde archer.

Tia's divination magic tingled at her attention. Not a lycanthrope, but a different kind of shapeshifter? There was no sense of evil so she put that fact away for the moment.

The adventurers were still taken aback by Tia speaking their language so perfectly. The men looked carefully at Corie the priestess; she obviously deferred to the new arrival who appeared several years to be her junior in age. They eventually had the metal armor removed, but his leather hauberk remained.

With so much still hidden, Tia frowned and briskly ordered, "No, this is insufficient. I need to see all of his injuries. Remove the leather as well. Rather than dance around the issue, just take him down to his bare skin."

"Everything?" the woman mage asked, glancing at the man before flushing.

"In order to assess his injuries, I need see how badly he's hurt. To do that, I need to visually inspect his body. So, yes, as bare as the day he was born."

The injured man scowled and contemplated arguing, but a glance to Tia's stern face, his companion complied and silenced his objections. It may have been Tia herself; she was used to giving orders with the expectation of being obeyed, and these young adventurers responded to her aura of authority. Still, while the second man didn't help with stripping his companion, he did smirk knowingly at the two women undertaking the task. The grumbling fighter insisted on removing his breechcloth himself, then glared at Tia, silently daring her to comment on his nudity.

Tia not only took in the man's injuries, she determined by their own movements that his three companions also had their own hidden injuries. Likely deemed of lesser concern, they had no doubt resolved to muddle through like the stubborn man under her gaze and let their injuries heal over time.

Reflecting on her own youth with her sisters and other siblings, Tia recalled how they sometimes got seriously mauled while making noobie mistakes, especially against monsters initially considered "easy."

While they had stripped him down, they had left him his boots. Tia gently checked him over as she moved around the ward bed, sometimes asking him to shift in position. Noting the many bruises amidst his wounds, she also saw that some of those freshly scabbed were breaking open and leaking, which told her the injuries were quite recent, perhaps only a few hours old. Then she saw fresh blood dripping from his left boot, splattering on the tile floor. Tia barked out, "Boots and any socks come off, too."

The young warrior's grimace turned into a painful wince as his boots and socks came off. One leg immediately swelled, making it doubtful that he'd be able to get them back on.

At his grudging promise that he was indeed not injured in the groin area, Tia used the simple orison magic to clean his body. Grime, sweat, and dried blood instantly vanished. Some wounds began to bleed anew, but Tia closely examined the bites on his leg, feeling the warmth of the area. She checked his forehead, noting that while naked, he'd begun to sweat; her detection spells revealed the onset of a low-grade fever.

The woman mage kept her hand on one arm, probably as much to steady him as to provide him with the comfort of her touch. The priestess took in those details as well.

Normally, a single cure serious wounds spell, which was what he'd asked for, would run five hundred gold; such depended on the charity of the healer because they were obviously not of the same faith; it was common for a priest to charge double or triple for those outside the faith. However, because he was so badly hurt, she didn't want to mess around. It would likely take four or five lesser curative spells, and because of his fever, additional disinfect spells would also necessary. It was less expensive to her spell-bank reserves to cast heal even though it drew more direct power, so that's what she did.

A major curative spell, heal created a light green nimbus of light that quickly enveloped his entire body, then quickly disappeared as the magic pervaded his body. The powerful spell cured all injuries, obliterated diseases, purged parasites, as well as any mental aberrations. In an instant, the injured man was back to full health; the odd after-effect was it shocked the body a bit, leaving the person a tad stiff in the joints for a few hours but that soon faded with physical activity. All curative spells shared that same translucent mid-green light; similarly, those necromantic-based spells that affected the body in a positive, life-giving manner also shared the same visual effect.

The others gasped as a green glow briefly enveloped him before vanishing, leaving him hale and whole.

The now-healed warrior, instead of being grateful, looked furious at her deed, not doubt imagining the huge debt he and the others could ill afford.

He roared out, "What have you done! That's not what—"

"Silence!" and used the spell command to compel compliance. Holding up her finger, Tia curtly said, "Unless it's to say thank you, keep silent! Be grateful you are no longer in pain and grateful too for such friends that brought you here despite all your wrong-headed arguments that all you needed was bedrest. Yes, I am well aware that's what you did. I've seen your like before. Proud, headstrong -- believing you are immortal and stronger than anything the world can throw at you? You might be tough but you were also lucky. The bite was infected. It was the opinion of your attending healer that you needed more healing than you were willing to pay for, and I agreed with her assessment. Instead of a month or so in bed as you erroneously believed, it would have been more likely two or even three months. That is, if you survived the fever you were beginning to run. I've must warn you that I have already had my patience sorely tested today and my temper is at the ready. If you cannot be polite and grateful, I heartily recommend silence to avoid making me angry at you!"

Tia waited while he quickly glanced at his companions.

Turning to the mage, the priestess asked the mage if she knew the cantrip clean. She did, and Tia bade her to clean the clothing and armor. Tia generously used Crimbley's mending cloth to repair the mulitple rips in his leather hauberk, followed by the higher-level spell, Crimbley lesser metal mending to repair the gaps in his chain armor. His companions took in the additional spellcasting in wide-eyed silence.

As the man began to dress, there was some growing tension among the four adventurers. The priestess guessed it was worry over the costs for spells she had added.

Before their mood could worsen, Tia startled them again. "Now for you three, you're next. Strip down to your underclothes, and do not argue with me! I want to see how badly the rest of you are injured."

All four gawked at her.

1...45678...12