Bard's Tale 07 - Making a Home

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You're an excellent priestess, daughter. I'm proud of all my girls."

"Even Tahna?" Tia asked.

"Yes, of course. Talking with her yesterday, I got a real sense of just how deep her wounds really go. And just how much she loves that young man you share. The scars on her back will fade, but it will take a lot of love and patience and likely years for her to mend. I find I agree with you, that her getting suspended is probably for the best. Tahna could have reached out to any one of us during her winter stay, and she chose to hide her pain. I'm as pleased that Mindal has cut back so much on her drinking. Each of you are my girls, and any time you get hurt, it grieves me. Getting a chance to visit yesterday and today has been wonderful despite the circumstances. I miss you girls during the spring and summer. By the way, Theodonra is expecting you three and Reison to come for dinner next Friday."

"We'll see how things work out. We miss and love you, too, Mom," Tia said as they walked to where the boys would exit.

"When do you think you can tell me more about Green and what happened at the temple?"

"Probably not before the end of the week, Mom. I'm supposed to report on that same issue to Her Majesty. Because I have so many other things to do, I've put the matter aside for the moment. If I don't like Master Dorian's report or what's happened with the Scheduling Office in the interim, then trust me, I will bring pressure to bear on them."

"You sound angry not just for Tahna, but for yourself, too. Care to explain?"

"It was implied that for several years now I held my position as Legate not based on merit but on how often and to whom I was dispensing sexual favors, Mom."

Her mother's eyebrows rose. "Anyone who even halfway knew you would - or should know that's not in your nature."

"While I have visited the temple of Osh Mayan for anonymous trysts over the years, I've made it my policy to not engage in any relationships with peers or subordinates. The last time that happened was when I married Ferd, and that was a mistake I took to heart."

"I'm sorry he died, but I could see you weren't happy," her mom said.

"What slurs they threw my way pale in comparison with what happened with Tahna. She acted badly and needed to be punished, even if her original intentions were good. The fact that several important church protocols were broken when punishing her is seriously troubling. Several senior priests are either complicit with Green or have deliberately turned a blind eye, and either case demands a response. I intend to see the matter resolved in a fashion that improves the church and how it serves the Lawgiver's will."

"No more than I'd expect from you, Tia. Just keep us in the loop, will you?"

"I will," the priestess promised.

"Besides her dinner invitation, have you made contact with Theo, yet?"

"I sent her a letter with an update early this morning. If I can get away, I'll take Jo and visit her at lunchtime."

The sword master looked at Jo. "You keeping up with everything so far?"

"Well, I had no idea that Judge Tanner was Mother Tia's twin sister, but yes, I think I'm keeping track."

"What's next today?" Frínulas asked.

"Finding a place to have lunch. Then we go visit the young architect I hired. If I like what he's done, we'll go visit our home and discuss with him the things we want to include in the remodeling, and begin hiring construction crews. That'll take several hours. This evening, Jo will stay behind to accept and direct deliveries while I rescue Master Allyn's family and get them moved."

"Morgan and I will be going with you, Tia."

"But you will miss dinner with Dad!"

"We'll be late," Frínulas replied. "I'm sure you are both capable and powerful enough to handle the matter without my assistance. If I choose to redirect my anger at what happened to Tahna toward some scumbag slumlord and his ruffians, will you object?"

Tia laughed. "Me? Perish the thought, Mom!"

After collecting the boys, they rode to a restaurant that sold box lunches, and continued to a nearby park and enjoyed the sunshine and lazing around a bit. The driver was surprised and delighted that Tia provided a meal for him as well. While the horses were watered and given a handful of oats each, the three women and five boys enjoyed the sun and running around. The day watch stopped by and made identification checks and basic inquiries, but were respectful and soon moved on.

When first bell after noon hour rang, they made a visit to one of the banking houses that Tia used - she had accounts with several around the capital. Then they headed to the public service building, where according to office assistant Jennifer, Master Geoff Ashburn, Architect Extraordinaire operated his business.

Both Jennifer and Master Ashburn noted the improved appearance of Master Allyn, took in the four older boys who were equally well dressed, and the lady knight escorting them.

Tia quickly reviewed the plans, and paid the balance on the commission. As Jennifer wrote out the receipt, she offered him the job of visiting the building and designing their new home. The priestess listed some of the things that were desired, including a large classroom, a chapel, conservatory, library, and many bedrooms for the family and servants, and Master Ashburn took notes and accepted the commission.

After handing over a voucher for five thousand royals as earnest money, they signed a contract. Master Ashburn said that he would be by the next morning at the building for further interviews and to introduce the construction foreman he liked to work with.

Returning to the Grey Wolf Inn, Tia had the boys help carry some of the gear as they emptied their room. Next, they went to the livery stable where their carriage was stored, hired a wagon and two adult laborers, and unloaded the rest of their possessions from their carriage into their new home. Morgan and Tahna rode in the back of the wagon with the luggage, enjoying the warm, breezy early summer day. The boys chose to ride in the fancy wagon that Tia owned. Because of space issues, the laborers would take the two horses back to the livery stable. Reison and Mindal had the other two horses out for the trip to the Fighters Guild.

While they were at Snapdragon Street, some of the furniture was delivered, and Tia made them put the beds together with the mattresses, and these were set up beside the wardrobes and dressers along the south wall. Food deliveries began arriving as well, mostly dry goods and fruit, but Frínulas and Tia helped set up both camp stoves and Jo agreed to cook the steaks until they looked done, and then covered them to help keep them warm.

Then it was time for Tia, Frínulas, Morgan and the boys to depart. Tahna kept Jo company and helped watch the cooking stew. Some of the workmen were still unloading as they prepared to leave.

"They've been told to listen to you, Jo," the priestess declared loudly so that her words carried to the workmen busy unloading food and furniture and whatnot. "If any of them give you any guff, don't argue with them. Tell me after I return and I will deal with them. Reison and Mindal should be here in about ninety minutes. Tahna has a new pearl, so if there's any trouble, I'll know right away."

"Yes, Mother Tia," Jo said with a grin.

Tia paid three silver to the men from the stables for moving their possession and carriage. Climbing into the two-seat carriage, they left, all five boys well pleased with their earnings.

Though at times they'd been bored, they'd had fun in the bathhouse and playing around in the park had been a busman's holiday, a reprieve from their daily effort to bully and steal enough each day to satisfy the demanding older men in their lives.

They stopped to get some take-away dinner for the four older boys and their driver.

Suddenly Kimon asked, his face troubled, "Lady? Are you only helping boys?"

"No," Tia said. "I will help young girls, too. Why?"

"I have a sister, Carissa. She's a year older than me. My father sold her for three gold and fifteen silver to work as a whore. Carissa came home a couple of days ago, begging to be allowed to come back, but the madam came and dragged her away by her hair. She beat Carissa with a cane, and when I tried to help, she beat me, too, and me da used his belt on me afterward."

"I'll go with the boy to get his sister," Morgan volunteered, speaking Greek.

Tia looked at him. "You realize, Kimon, that if you help your sister, you might not be able to go home again because the woman who bought your sister will demand you repay your sister's debt, and your father's reputation will also be on the line as the head of your family. He may seriously injure you this time around."

He swallowed before speaking. "You said I could stay with you. Carissa looked out for me when I was younger. She can come live with you, too?"

"Yes, you and your sister can come live with my family," the priestess replied. She then passed two silver pennies each to Derek, Milo, and Leon.

Then Tia handed Morgan four gold pieces. "In case the madam is willing to listen to peacefully freeing Carissa."

With a knowing look, Morgan took the coins and tucked them into a small pouch. From past experience, Tia knew better than to ask what was going through her mind.

As they paused at the building where Master Allyn and his family lived, Derek, Milo, and Leon gave Kimon a pat on the shoulder, then dashed off.

Morgan made a gesture, and suddenly appeared as an old woman with a grey cloak. As Kimon drew back in alarm, she said, "It's all right, boy. It's just a little magic to fool others into thinking I'm a harmless old woman. Lead me to where your sister is."

Tia turned and thanked the driver, telling him they no longer had need of his services that night.

The middle-aged man frowned, glancing in both directions along the narrow street. "Are you sure, Mother? This is a rough neighborhood, especially for fine ladies such as yourselves."

"We appreciate your concern and it does you credit," Tia replied. "If you want another day job, show up at 1010 Snapdragon on Friday morning. Good night."

"Ma'am," he said with a tip of his hat. With a snap of the reins, the carriage turned around and headed away, its wheels clattering on the rougher street stone while the driver avoided some of the larger potholes.

"What's next?" Frínulas asked.

"The widow Meadows and her three daughters will be home soon. Master Allyn can let us in to their room with his key, or he can keep us company on the steps."

"Will they have to do much packing to do?" the older woman asked.

"No," Tia answered. "A few momentos and such, but much of what they own is worn and threadbare, hardly worth worrying about. They will do better with new clothing."

"Shall I open the door?" the boy inquired of Tia. She in turn looked to her mother with raised eyebrows.

The warrior woman shook her head. Quickly casting some clean orisons, space on the steps was made for them to sit and enjoy the evening weather. In the narrow street, there was no wind and it mostly felt a bit close, the air wasn't overly hot so it was bearable. As a precaution, Tia summon three aerial servants and had them wait, hidden in the alley's shadows.

"Just so we're clear," Frínulas said to the boy, "when things start to happen, no matter what, you stay here on the steps. If a fight breaks out, I do not want you getting hurt. Mother Tia and I will keep your mother and sisters safe. Understand?"

"Yes, Lady."

So, the three sat down and set to waiting, mother and daughter soon chatting about how other members of their huge family fared.

When at last they saw a party of mostly men approaching, including Master Allyn's mother in their company, Tia stood. "Master Allyn, go up to the third landing and wait for us there."

"Is there nothing I can do?" the boy asked, seeing the worried look on his mother's face.

"Remember your promise, lad! A man keeps his promises," Frínulas barked as she stood. Taking a few steps away from Tia, she rolled her shoulders and stretched her legs. With a discreet movement, she loosened her sword and dagger for a quick draw.

As they got closer, Tia saw that while the youngest was carried by widow Meadows, the other two girls were held even as they were pushed along by rough-looking men.

At between five and six meters, the leader halted and the others followed suit. "Well, well, what do we have here? Jane insisted I come talk with you. I'm here, so talk."

"I assume you are the man called Thanos. You have Jane's debt marker. I'm here to pay it."

The smaller than average man with the squinty eyes looked amused. "Why should I let you buy it? I rather like having her work for me. She has a talented mouth. Besides, if I keep the mother, I have will soon have access to these girls, too. Some men are willing to pay a lot for young virgins."

Turning in a sudden rage, Jane screamed, "You promised me you wouldn't touch them! You gave your word!"

With a snarl, he backhanded her, knocking her and little Emma to the ground. "You're an investment, bitch. Your little dividends are beginning to bloom and I intend to cash in!"

Frínulas glared, drawing her longsword, the honed edge glittering with eldritch enchantment, and a smaller glow from her drawn dagger. "You shouldn't have said that! Flee now and save your miserable life. Anyone who stands against me is dead."

"A bitch with a sword! Big deal!" Thanos the slumlord scoffed. "I have a dozen strong men with weapons to your one!"

"Protect the children!" Tia yelled, and three burly aerial forms shot forward and dove in. Before the men had a chance to react, two of them were roughly knocked aside, and even the youngest girl was snatched from Jane's grasp. Flying high up into the air, they returned to the third floor landing on the outside staircase with their precious cargo.

Meleeing forward with sword and dagger at the ready, magical light suddenly rolled out to a radius of four meters from the warrior woman.

"Lookout! She's a paladin!" one ruffian yelled in alarm.

Frínulas laughed. "You don't know the half of it, boy!"

Three men charged in with long clubs swinging. Long sword and dagger parried and then snapped out in a lethal yet effortless dance in the hands of a grandmaster. Four men collapsed, dead as they fell as the warrior woman advanced.

Five more charged in, one shouting, "Take her down!" Their efforts to overbear her failed as she fended them off or dodged their attacks with hard kicks. Two more sprawled onto the street, blood pooling around their still forms.

"Stop!" demanded the leader, drawing a dagger and threatening the widow's life. How could a single woman kill so many men so easily? Then he looked at the intense, determined woman in colorful robes who murmured as she strode toward him. His lieutenant and bodyguard froze, hands on weapons but unable to defend themselves.

His eyes widened when he found he no longer had control of his own body! "Okay, okay!" he screamed. "Deal! You have a deal!"

"Too late," Tia snarled. "You threatened to hurt those girls for the sake of profit! I am a high priestess to the Lawgiver, patron of children. You could have had two thousand gold royals this night, free and clear, but instead, you have earned your death."

Two more men facing the swordswoman cried out and fell lifeless to the ground. The other two saw the woman promising their deaths if they remained, turned tail, and ran.

The sound of a war drum thundered once, twice, three times through the street, and a wind picked up as the beats faded. Then the sounds of a hundred crows could suddenly be heard, distant at first, but quickly becoming louder within seconds. From high above, a flock of fierce corbies dove and chased the fleeing men, the birds pecking and clawing as they cawed. Attacked from all sides, the men screamed and fought as best they could against scores of birds apiece; where one bird was battered aside, five or six darted in with sharp beaks and pecked. Even after the men stopped resisting, the large black birds continued to deliver their punishment.

"That would be Morgan's doing," Frínulas said. She cleaned her blades and sheathed them. A quick survey and she counted ten dead.

Reaching toward the trembling widow, Tia smiled at her and helped her stand, moving a few steps back from the immobilized man who'd once terrorized her life. His two helpers looked on in terror.

"My girls?" she asked. "What happened to them?"

Tia turned and pointed. "Safe on the landing with their brother, guarded by powerful servants of my goddess. Go, Jane, and be with them, while I deal with this would-be defiler of young girls."

Seeing her babies safe, she ran over, climbing stairs till she reached them. Four happy children hugged their mother and withstood her frantic, anxious kisses as she squeezed them back.

"You okay, Mom?" Tia asked.

The older woman snorted. "Please! As if this rabble posed any threat to the sword master of New Brittany!"

"That doesn't mean I won't ask, Mom."

Gathering the sheaves resulted in coin pouches from each of the slain coming open, the coins skittered across the ground, piling up at Tia's feet. Dropping an empty bag to the ground, the coins moved into cloth container. Leaning down, she picked it up, tied it off, then slipped it into her daypack. Next, Tia cast a protective circle and summoned a huge, bulky earth elemental that stood over four meters tall.

I have answered your call in the name of the Earth Mother, it rumbled.

"Take the dead on this street and bury them at least three meters below the street," Tia commanded to the extra-planar being. "And take those living men as well," she added, pointing at helpless villains. "Once you are done, your service is ended."

"By Her will, so it is," it replied in a deep, sonorous voice, and set to removing the corpses. As the frozen men began to sink into the earth, they screamed and pleaded for mercy, till their words were cut off by the earth swallowing them up.

From the next block over, Morgan approached Tia and Frínulas, staff in hand. She led Kimon and five women of various ages and health. Trailing behind them was an older, skittish female hound that had seen better days.

After a brief scan of those following the mage, Frínulas said, "I see you have others under your protection, sister Morgan. I take it there was an issue with getting the girl free?"

"I offered her four gold, then six, even ten! She not only refused to sell the girl, but she also became verbally abusive," the mage grumbled. Then she glared at the trembling hound. "Who's the worthless bitch now, Madame Aikat?"

The dog cowered at Morgan's scowl, whimpering pitifully.

"Go on!" Morgan said, pointing back from where they came, speaking Greek to the decrepit hound. "If you survive the coming year and a day, my curse will end and you will become a human woman once more, and as the gods bear witness, hopefully, a wiser one. Till then, you will be at the mercy of your neighbors. And I'm told none of them like dogs."

Switching to high elven, Frínulas asked, "Morgan, I know you went to get the boy's sister, but who are these others?"

Her heavy French accent present, she answered, "Once I had ze problem contained wit 'er transformation, zese four also want to be free. One rescue, five rescues, all ze same. Zey comes with us to be free, not forced to have sex for pay. By Her name, zey have sanctuary."

Tia approached Kimon and his sister, using Greek so they understood her words. "Mother Morgan has said that Carissa and the others will go with her and leave the city. New Brittany is a small place, but it's full of good people. Will you stay with me, Kimon, or will you stay with your sister?"