Bard's Tale 07 - Making a Home

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Taken aback, the queen reassessed her minister. "Indeed?"

Tia then explained that for decades Tahna had been deliberately selected by various leaders in various jurisdictions to specifically deal with child crimes. "While I do not believe it was intentionally harmful, my sister has rendered years of selfless and heroic service without complaint to protecting and rendering justice for the children and families of Tildor, and to ensuring the peace and rule of law within the kingdom."

"We are in agreement with you regarding Tahna's service to our most vulnerable citizens. She is owed a great debt by the kingdom for her long and honorable service. We are also troubled to learn that because of her efficiency and dedication, she has ended up bearing the brunt of such harrowing assignments from many diverse authorities within our government. Even the finest tempered steel when put into the fire too many times will one day break."

Tia nodded. "To survive, she had long ago chosen to deny her emotions. By falling in love with a good and loving man, that wall has been tumbling down piecemeal. Tahna's perfect recall means that the wounds in her heart and mind have never had a chance to heal. At times, it has overwhelmed her and clouded my sister's better judgment, as it did when she attacked Green in his office."

The queen waited while her trusted advisor struggled with her own emotional involvement in the matter; she realized it could not have been easy to discover what her sister had done, much less see her in such pain from her punishment.

"Your Majesty, Tahna has served as a warrior monk for decades, with but this sole lapse at the end of her long and distinguished career. It's a shame for her years of service to end basically in disgrace, but I see no alternative, despite the mitigating circumstances regarding her punishment itself. Her monastic order has suspended her for the next year. Your Majesty, I love my sister dearly, and at this moment, I do not believe she should ever undertake to solve another child homicide. It's time for her to step aside, for the sake of her own sanity. Thankfully, she has a new husband that she loves fiercely, and next spring she will become a mother for the first time, and hopefully, she can one day find some measure of peace."

The queen sighed before nodding in agreement. "We, too, have the trait of perfect recall, and can fully empathize with how under those difficult circumstances would become a terrible burden. We find the ability at times useful and at others an impediment to governance. We find nothing amiss in a woman who rightfully worries over her sister being further damaged by her selfless service. Would that no child ever perishes by deliberate evil means, but we are not so naive to know that it will not happen. Let it be known it is our order that Tahna Landers Whisper Wind is no longer to be consulted on crimes related to children. If the constabulary cannot resolve the matter, then they are ordered to turn the matter over to the order of warrior monks to solve.

"As for your report, we find your assessments well taken, Mother Tia. Are you satisfied with the results regarding Master Dorian?"

Tia looked at Queen Dorothy grimly. "Your Majesty, I am greatly concerned about the possibility of some device existing and its continued use within the temple. That strong-willed people like Master Dorian could become suggestible and not realize it causes me great anxiety. If such an item exists, it must be found, and considering the potential for abuse, destroyed."

"Can you yourself conduct such a search? That's unfortunate, but I will accept your word that such is the case. Have you spoken with Master Dorian about the possibility of such a device? We share your concern, Mother Tia, but we are a secular ruler. As long as the church recognizes our authority throughout the kingdom, we must respect the independence of the church authorities to conduct their own internal affairs. However, if perchance some miracle you should find such a device, we will back your actions and support your recommendation the device be destroyed. Again, we are mindful of the disrespect shown to your person as our minister, so we ask again, are you content with what's happened?"

The priestess took a long breath before continuing. "While I was furious with my treatment and what happened with Tahna, I had the time to reflect, Your Majesty. I realized I had the choice of focusing on revenge, or on making my home here in the capital and focusing on the joy of becoming a mother."

The queen suddenly smiled. "We are happy about the news regarding you and your sisters, Mother Tia. We agree that becoming a mother is a life-changing event for any woman, and is both a worthy goal and can be a source of personal joy for those who experience it. We wish you and your sisters safe, untroubled pregnancies and for all of you have strong, healthy, and happy children."

"Thank you, Your Majesty. To that end, I will be available for consulting, but I hereby tender my resignation as your Minister Without Portfolio. I want to focus on being the best mother and wife I can be. I will likewise resign as Church Legate for the same reason."

Queen Dorothy sat back in her chair before responding. "Mother Tia, you have served both the Duchy of Biyandi and the Kingdom of Tildor with decades of peerless integrity and unstinting devotion. It is only through magical means that you have not retired from such exemplary service from old age - for which we are grateful to have your continued presence and advice. Both the kingdom and we daresay the church will be the poorer with your absence. The church may accept your decision. That is for Valeeta Ramen to decide.

"However, that said, we are not ready to release from our service. It is our decision that subsequent duties will be severely curtailed, yet remain open to future negotiations. We treasure your wisdom, Mother Tia. Therefore, you hereby retain your rank as our Minister Without Portfolio, a non-heritable honor, as a reward for your years of service to us and to the people of Tildor. Your salary of one thousand royals per year shall continue, and should service ever be terminated at our discretion, it is our decision that you receive a pension equal to one-half your current salary for the rest of your life or the next century, whichever comes first. We must account for the magic available to a daughter of Lord Michael Landers of New Brittany, and while we wish you and your family a long life, we must be mindful of the kingdom's future debt."

"Your Majesty is extremely generous," Tia responded with some amusement.

"Then accept it. Is that the whole of your report, Mother Tia?"

"No, it is not," the high priestess answered. "That is but my report on the temple's own internal investigation and my assessment of it. There is a great deal more, Your Majesty."

Then Tia went on to explain her discovery of the two acolytes Janna Wright and Mandi Jenkins, their reputed status as having departed the temple yet discovering the women alive and living deep within the temple's lower storage areas.

"Both women were vigorous in their attempt to flee, yet I was able to capture them. It was then I discovered that they were under the compulsion of charm magic. It was not difficult to break the power of the spells, and once freed, they were quite shaken. They had been commanded to avoid all other members of the clergy, being falsely told it would endanger their very souls. Lack of good meals further impaired their thinking and ability to resist the magic that bound them. Hungry, and thirsty, both were filthy. Green, and his three confederates, Blasco, Chern, and Dilgray, visited at irregular intervals, but during such visits demanded repeated sexual satisfaction while using words and abuse commonly experienced by women slaves elsewhere."

"Such as?" the queen prompted.

"I open my thoughts to yours, Your Majesty. Men in authority that they trusted used magic to steal their free will and then horribly abused them. For their sake, these details should not be a matter of public record."

"Very well." Once the mental link was established, the queen thought, All right, Mother Tia. Go on.

Phrases like 'come dumpster' and 'dirty whore' were commonly used, and both were regularly called 'bitch' rather than using their names, Your Majesty. While it is known that some couples will use such wordplay between themselves, it takes on a much darker meaning when the women are treated like property. I am not here to condemn or discuss those who crave such abuse for sexual gratification. Rather, I found it important that during the last week of their captivity, while the men continued to talk amongst themselves, they no longer spoke at all to either woman. Instead, they used hand grips and slaps to move the woman into the desired position prior to vaginal penetration and insemination. I witnessed one such event via another time spell, and the men showed no affection and little lust. Rather, the men acted perfunctory

The queen looked at the two women who clutched at each other as they wept tears of shame, then back at her minister. "I need no further details on this matter. They lend credence to your idea some sort of magical device exists and is being actively used. People with above-average intelligence or wisdom can be enthralled against their will, but such magic must be frequently renewed lest by their strength of mind eventually regain their freedom. Were you able to assess the strength of the charm, Mother Tia?"

"I did, Your Majesty," the priestess confirmed. "Both were thoroughly under outside influence. Fortunately, I was able to dispel the charm without issue or harm, and both women regained their full memories and faculties. I bestowed the ability to detect magic to my assistant, Jo Mason, and together we searched the entire area where Janna and Mandi had been hiding. Unfortunately, we found no item of any sort. There yet more to tell, Your Majesty."

Tia then described the testimony from Janna about briefly seeing two other acolytes, women who like themselves, had supposedly left the temple. Tia described using replay of the past at the site where the women had been seen. Once the initial scene began to unfold, Tia cast holy scribe to document the events. She then called Jo Mason to come forward and present the legal document created by the divination magic.

Taking the book, the monarch quickly scanned through its pages, her visage turning grim and then noticeably angry. Calling over the Lord High Wizard, the queen tasked him with making a copy of the book and then spreading the pictures of the men on charges of kidnapping, rape, and involuntary enslavement.

Once the mage created the copy via magic spell, the book was returned to Tia. Additional copies of the men's images were made and given to the Lord Marshal to distribute to the guards monitoring all gates into and out of the capital.

Turning her gaze back to the priestess, the queen asked, "That these men have sold off two acolytes pledged to serve the Lawgiver for coin begs the question, how many others have they done this to? Have you had the opportunity to cast such divination, Mother Tia?"

Lowering her head, Tia said, "No, Your Majesty, I have not. I confess I overlooked that detail."

"This is no time for recriminations, Mother Tia. But for your efforts, there is little doubt what fate awaited these two young women. Please make the inquiry for us," the queen ordered. "We wish to know how many others suffered the same fate as Anna Briarwood and Tessa Hatch."

Tia cast the spell and awaited the answer. With a strangled sob, she nearly collapsed to her knees. "S-sixteen others. Sixteen!"

With great concern, the queen jumped up from her seat and hugged the priestess. "Are you all right, my friend?"

Tia wiped at her eyes. "So many young women snatched from our lands, Your Majesty! I can think of many evil temples that would pay to possess young, fertile, and pregnant women, and to no good purpose!"

After guiding Tia back to her stool, the queen returned to her chair. "Though small in scale, these crimes are nonetheless an affront to us. By your persistence, Minister, these two have been saved, and hopefully, we have a trail to at least two others."

Pulling out her handkerchief, Tia blew her nose, then took a steadying breath. "Your Majesty, it was my sister, Tahna, who told me about Janna and Mandi, and asked that I find them. I merely followed the trail she had already discovered."

"So even while she broke her sacred oath, your sister found deeper truths that needed to be seen in the light of day. Tahna has been rightfully suspended, but her continued service to the church and our nation is acknowledged. As for these two acolytes, we judge it too dangerous for them to return to the temple and hereby order they remain guests with us for their continued safety. We are concerned about the reach of these apostate priests. Sir Edgerton, please find quarters for these young women, and post a squad of guards to ensure round-the-clock protection, and a servant to oversee their comfort. As guests, they can have access to all common areas, but may not leave our residence."

The Chancellor bowed. "Yes, Your Majesty!"

"Mother Tia," the queen continued, "shall we assume that you will take this report to the temple?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," Tia replied. She had expected to learn the number of women sold into slavery as an abstract number. Instead, the Lawgiver's magic had shown her their faces and names. Opening up the report created by the holy scribe spell, Mother Tia was unsurprised to see the names, images, and abduction dates of those young acolytes had been appended to the original report. A chill ran down her spine upon seeing that eleven of the women were listed as having been murdered - and seven unnamed children. Closing the report, she had to wipe her eyes again. She resolved to say a prayer for the young women and their babies later.

"We thank you for your report, Minister. It is our decision that we shall visit the temple tomorrow after the noon hour and demand justice is done. We will press that these men be revealed as apostates and defrocked forthwith, immediately to be followed by their execution. Further, we will request that Master Dorian assign suitable warrior monks to accompany priests to track down and rescue Anna and Tessa as well as any other survivors."

Tia turned to look at the two young women. They appeared worried about being separated from their rescuer. "Her Majesty has offered you hospitality and protection. Will you accept her offer of sanctuary within her own home?"

Bowing, both answered, "We are honored to accept, Your Majesty."

Nodding, the queen replied, "Excellent. Mother Tia, it is nearing the dinner hour. Will you and your skilled assistant Jo Mason share your companionship with us?"

Flushing, Tia said, "My apologies, Your Majesty, I must regretfully decline your generous offer. My husband and family expect our return, and our absence will cause them undue worry."

"We understand the obligations of marital life, Mother Tia. That said, we do respectfully ask for the opportunity to meet such a peerless man who has captured the hearts of three remarkable women. and a chance to learn how such a capable young woman as Jo Mason entered your employment."

Standing and giving a short bow, Tia said, "Of course, Your Majesty. I will confer with your secretary about your schedule, and we will confirm the exact day. With your permission, we will now depart."

"You have it, Mother Tia. A pleasure to meet you, Miss Mason. Captain of the Guard! Please be sure an escort accompanies the Minister and Miss Mason to their new home on Snapdragon Street. Minister Tia Whisper Wind, there are foul apostate priests yet at large, and we will take our ease by ensuring your safe passage to your new residence on Snapdragon Street." The queen chuckled at Tia's look. "Of course, we know where you live! While we don't know everything, we do have a very good intelligence service. Go with our gratitude and best wishes."

* * * * *

Part 8 - Plans and Discoveries

* * * * *

The next day after breakfast, Reison and Mindal departed, as usual, to meet with two of his instructors for a day of fighter training.

At the tenth hour, while the children were tasked with studying and monitored by Tahna, an escort arrived with a carriage to take Tia and Jo to the temple. After lunch, the children spent their time in the gym at their choice of physical activities, Tahna being a believer in playtime as well as in structured routine.

Once at the temple, the priestess and her assistant headed for Master Dorian's office without a preamble, where she had Jo present the results of her own investigation.

To say the warrior monk was astonished at both the documents and the charges contained therein was an understatement. Nonetheless, he immediately gathered three of the monks on hand and proceeded to find and arrest the High Priest Green, and Bishops Blasco, Chern, and Dilgay, placing all four in chains resistant to both magic and psionic manipulation. The men were angry, having believed the extent of their punishments was to be demoted and reassigned. Once the charges were read, they loudly protested their innocence, claiming the report was fabricated. When Tia arrived, their many claims of bias and false testimony by the prisoners as well as many personal insults hurled at the priestess. Jo fumed at their words, but Tia steeled herself and touched her magic pendant, letting its calming influence affect those around her.

Another high priest was publicly summoned and the authenticity of Tia's report was confirmed.

After those arrests, as requested by the Legate, two high priests and two warrior monks of advanced skill were dispatched via portal magic to the Caloren States to track down the whereabouts of Anna and Tessa as well as the other women known to be still alive.

The other three senior priests who were known associates of the now disgraced Green were examined and were found to have been unaware of the true nature of the situation and were thus cleared. However, their demotions, due to their choice of association with the condemned and their poor judgment, stood.

At about the same time that Tia and Jo arrived at the temple, the two acolytes met with Queen Dorothy and asked to have their pregnancies terminated; the queen not only granted the request but performed the necessary spell for each. The women were monitored by a healer as their bodies miscarried.

By church law, it was the mother that determined whether any pregnancy was allowed to continue; she had to determine her own mental, emotional, and financial fitness to be a mother, whether it was her first or if she already had other children. Advice from kinswomen might be sought, but the final choice and responsibility belonged solely to the mother alone. Pregnancies that threatened the life of the mother were not allowed to continue; likewise, pregnancies resulting from rape, with rare exceptions, were also terminated, the prevailing belief that those who would use force or magic were considered unworthy to propagate their line. Church and secular law provided slavery as an alternative to capital punishment, but within the Kingdom of Tildor, even a slave woman could refuse sexual advances.

However, women did not always have access to priest magic and had to make do as best they could. Sometimes they died, and sometimes they were captive in foreign lands where men used them without their consent or consideration of their youth.

With her two guests being duly cared for, the Queen ate her midday meal, then gathered her retinue, making a formal visit to the Earth Mother's temple. There, she bore witness to the pronouncements against the four men and watched their executions with satisfaction. Then she publicly thanked Tia in her roles as both Temple Legate and Queen's Minister for discovering their foul crimes and alerting the proper authorities so that justice prevailed.

1...45678...14