Baseball Ch. 04: Designated Hitter

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, he's a numbers guy. He's a businessman, what do you expect? But I'm teaching him to like the game."

"I think he likes it because it's something he can calculate, and try to make predictions. Like fantasy sports, but in real life."

"You don't have to be a jerk."

"Sorry, but I don't know how long I can handle watching you with that guy."

She looked around at the rest of the party. We weren't attracting attention, but she was self-conscious anyway. "I don't want to talk about this now," she said, and quickly walked away. Not so quick to make people notice, but quick enough to send me the message that she wasn't happy. Fair enough, neither was I.

----

Casey had gone out to dinner with her father and Landon that evening, so I honestly didn't expect to see her that night at all. I was surprised when she showed up at my apartment around 11:00 that night and used her key to enter without knocking. I was just watching some TV when she came in and plopped down next to me. "I've got news," she said.

"Good or bad?"

"Both. Good news first," she said, then fixed a smile to her face. "I talked to my father about the team. He's agreed to make me a Special Assistant to the General Manager."

"That's great!" I said, knowing it was a step in the direction she wanted. Her face didn't change. "Isn't it?" I asked.

"It is, but Landon has also expressed his interest in the team, so my father appointed him to the same job." Casey's face was flat with annoyance. "He and I will both be working for the GM."

I scratched my head. "That doesn't make sense," I said, "You've been wanting this forever, and working for it. He just walks in and gets the same job, no prior experience needed?"

Casey nodded. "That's what I thought, but I couldn't very well say that in front of both of them."

"It's not fair."

"It really isn't. But that's just the beginning," she said with a sigh. "It's part of their plan."

"What plan?"

"Landon has been talking to my father, expressing his interest in me. My father is planning on giving us the team."

"Us, like you and Landon?"

She nodded. "He didn't say it, but I think he thinks I can't handle it by myself, that I need a man to own the team with me."

"You need to talk to him," I insisted.

"I've told him, I can manage the team myself."

"Not just that," I said, cutting her off. "I know you can do that. But I'm talking about you and Landon. He's already assuming you'll marry him and be some kind of husband and wife team, working together." I stood and paced the small living area. "I mean, how long are you going to keep up this facade?"

"That's not fair," she said. "I'm working to get my dream. I'm moving up and I'm closer than ever to earn it."

"What about me?" I asked. "I'm not trying to make this about me, but I do love you, and I think I've been pretty patient here. Am I just expected to sit and watch you walk down the aisle with that nutsack?"

"Why are you saying this?" she said, starting to cry. "I've told you, I can't go against my father. I don't have a choice."

"Yes you do, and it sounds like you've already made it," I stated flatly. "You've chosen a future where your rich husband runs your team."

"Stop it!" she cried. She lept towards me, grabbing me into her arms. "I don't want that! I want you!"

"I want you too. But I don't want half of you, or you when no one else is around. I love all of you, the complete Casey. That's the you that I want."

"I need you to just be patient, please. I can prove to my father that I can run the team without Landon. And I can get out from under his thumb. I just need more time."

"And what if I can't do that?"

Casey froze. "What are you saying?"

"How long will it take for you to prove it to your father, the way you say? How long do I need to wait, and pretend it doesn't bother me to see you with him? Two years, maybe three? What if I don't want to wait that long?

She was openly crying now. "Don't. Don't say that."

"By the time you get control of the team, you'll probably be married. And I don't know if I can be the secret boyfriend of Mrs. Carter." As soon as I said it, I regretted it. It was a step too far, and we both knew it. Casey's face went white, and she turned and left, slamming my door.


12