Bastileborn - Dragon Fire Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Don't get in a rush now. You have a long life ahead of you. Seven hundred years' worth of memories can be just as beautiful as the ascended realm. I wonder if Ragos has found his way there yet. He would likely end up in the lake of fire," he grumbled.

Sidian laughed at the old man's tone. Ragos was Zorin's biological son, and Sidian considered him his brother. Ragos was a complete scoundrel and outcast, but Sidian still loved him. Ragos taught Sidian to sword fight. The other dragon guards would ignore Sidian and his childish ambition to become the youngest transcendent in history. He proved them all wrong with Ragos's help. Sidian was crushed when he heard his adopted brother would be banished from the Living Mountain. He was caught fornicating with a human in the holy garden. Ragos had apparently smuggled a human woman into the city. It was treason to have interracial sex and double treasonous to have interracial sex in the holy garden. It was a blatant act of rebellion on Ragos's part. He practically forced the elders to banish him.

Sidian was devastated by Ragos's actions and almost abandoned his ambitions over it, but Zorin encouraged him not to give up. He told him not to let Ragos's dishonorable acts degrade his own honor. That made him more determined to become the youngest transcendent of the dragons.

"It's strange," Sidian began as he remembered what Cypress told him before he fell. "Do not scorn mischievous spirits. You will learn to love them..." he whispered. "I do love Ragos in spite of what he did. He is my brother. I wish he could have seen me ascend."

"I'm sure he knew you would accomplish your goal. Let's not dwell on him any longer. How are you feeling? Are you well enough for the ceremonial banquet? Your attendance is required since you survived the fall. You will be seated at the head of the table next to the king," Zorin said with a proud smile.

"I shall be ready by tonight. I won't be in my prime, but I can sit and eat."

"Excellent. I had your armor repaired and shined while you were out. Come on home and get it when you're ready," he instructed before he left the healing garden.

Sidian stayed by the pond another hour to give his magic time to strengthen him. Then he stood and bid farewell to the pixies before he returned home. He was astonished to see his armor had not only been repaired but completely reformed with dragon gold. He would be wearing the gold and platinum colors of a high commander.

Surviving the ascension made him the high commander of the most powerful army in the mortal realm. He shuddered at that realization. He never thought much about what he would do after the fall. The gravity of his new title began to weigh on him as he sat beside the dragon king at the royal banquet table. The banquet was held inside the cavernous dining hall of the dragon king's palace. The palace and everything else in Gossamer City were built from the gem-like stones of the living mountain. The stones could be infused with dragon magic to make them glow different colors.

King Faddon Opal had little to say when it came to congratulating Sidian for his tremendous accomplishment. Faddon had always been rather cold to the young black-haired dragon. As Sidian watched Queen Mabel drunkenly flirting with a servant, he figured that was the cause of Faddon's constant grumpiness. The dragon king and queen were noble white dragons with the brightest blond hair any mortal had ever seen, and they naturally had a superior, arrogant look about their pale gray eyes. Their looks often made other mortals nervous around them.

The kings and queens of all the mortal races sat around the banquet table. The proud mountain dwarves, the tall high elves, the mysterious delphian dark elves, and of course, the many human kings and queens of Bastileborn. Even the more exotic royalty from the mysterious continent of Zilderland were required to join the Blood Accord in the Living Mountain.

The royal mortals looked up to Sidian and toasted his accomplishment. Most of them were drunk as they cheered for him to recount the beauty of the demigods and the agony of being in their presence. Sidian tiredly answered their questions. He wished he could join their drunkenness to ease the pain of his many injuries, but royal guards were forbidden to drink alcohol.

He excused himself from the table and wandered outside for some fresh air. He found a cushioned bench tucked away in the corner of the royal garden and laid down on it to rest. He gazed at the glowing rocks and geodes of the Living Mountain, finally feeling at peace. Before another minute passed, he drifted off to sleep. He woke sometime later in a state of mild confusion. He quickly realized he was still in the royal garden.

He considered sneaking home at that point. He didn't know how long he had been asleep, but his thoughts were interrupted by a provocative female groan. It was coming from behind a row of gardenias to his right. He cringed when he realized it was his duty to chase dishonorable party goers out of the royal garden. He could not turn a blind eye when someone was disrespecting the king's property.

"Attention, interlopers," Sidian announced, "by order of his royal majesty, please refrain from this disrespectful behavior in the royal garden," he called as he stood and drew his sword.

He quickly approached the flowering shrubs and peered over them. Sidian's heart dropped into his stomach when he made eye contact with the naked figures on the ground.

"King Faddon? Queen Tolimire?" he stammered with his head swimming and his stomach churning.

His beloved dragon king was lying on the ground in front of him, committing racial treason with a human queen. There was no mistaking the beautiful woman for someone else. Queen Tolimire had shimmering gold curls and perfect porcelain skin. Gwendoline herself would turn green with envy in her presence.

Sidian knew something was amiss. King Faddon wasn't charming enough to seduce someone as beautiful as Tolimire. The poor woman looked dazed as she struggled to focus on the man on top of her. Sidian's voice seemed to bring her out of whatever spell she was under. She shrieked when she finally looked upon Faddon's face.

"You're not my husband!" she cried in absolute horror as she scrambled away from him.

A sour and shocked look came over the dragon king's face as he observed their interrupter.

"Sidian, my boy, this is uh... rather difficult to explain," Faddon drunkenly stammered.

"What's to be explained, my king? You committed treason," Sidian said in growing anger. "What good is the law if the king himself fails to uphold it?"

"I am your king, boy! How dare you speak to me in such a condescending tone?" Faddon growled as he stood and wrapped his cloak around himself.

"Your majesty! What's going on?" Zorin called when he noticed the commotion.

He rushed over to see why the king and Sidian appeared to be arguing in the garden. Zorin observed Queen Tolimire naked and blushing on the ground as Faddon stood before her wrapped only in his cloak. He quickly realized what had happened.

"This bastard of a king is committing the same sin he banished my brother for!" Sidian yelled.

"Calm yourself, boy. You are speaking about your king," Zorin warned. He knew all too well the king considered himself above the law.

"This is bullshit, Zorin," Sidian snapped. "I'll tell the whole kingdom what you've done," he threatened as he glared at Faddon.

"Go right ahead and try. I will have the lot of you killed before you escape the garden!" Faddon warned.

"My king, please calm down!" Zorin pleaded as he jumped between him and his son. "Sidian is young and naive. He knows nothing about the true nature of royal relations. Let me speak to him alone before this escalates into something we'll all regret."

"I'll do nothing of the sort!" Faddon bellowed, giving over to his drunken rage. "I'll kill the overachieving whelp just like I killed his father!" he screamed.

A look of stunned horror came over Sidian's face as he stared at the king. Zorin bowed his head in shame at the king's dark revelation.

"What is he talking about?" Sidian demanded as he looked at his adoptive father.

"Don't look to him for answers!" Faddon yelled. "Zorin stood by and let me kill him like a true royal guard should. Your father was the last black dragon to survive the coup on the previous royal family. That Obsidian lizard demanded royal honors for the pathetic little black egg that would eventually become you. I refused him the honor. He challenged me after that, and I killed him in a royal dual. I should have stomped your egg right afterward, but the elders wouldn't let me do it. 'We must preserve our royal colors,' they whined! I should have never agreed to let you compete to become the transcendent. I knew it would lead to some bullshit like this!" Faddon yelled as he reached down and grabbed Queen Tolimire. She screamed as he jerked her off the ground and shoved her towards Sidian.

Sidian cursed and dropped his sword so he could catch the human queen to prevent her from being injured by Faddon's barbaric actions. Dragons were fiercely stronger than humans and could easily break their bones. Faddon fled back into the palace after his cowardly act.

"Fucking monster!" Sidian growled as he watched him run.

His anger caused his magic to swirl like blue fire into his eyes, scaring Queen Tolimire. She shrieked and cowered in his arms since she couldn't break free of his embrace. Sidian gasped in surprise when he felt the soft creature shaking with terror.

"Oh, my dear lady, I didn't mean to frighten you. Are you all right?" he asked quickly as he searched her tear-streaked face.

"I'm far from all right, but I'm not injured if that's what you're asking. I believe Faddon put something in my drink at the banquet. I thought I was making love to my husband until you called my name," she explained, shaking her head in complete disbelief and shame.

"I'll kill him for this," Sidian growled. "He assaulted and threatened a human queen and completely dishonored the dragon race," he said as he gently released Tolimire so she could retrieve her garments. "I'll go to the elders first and tell them everything."

"You'll do nothing of the sort. You have to run," Zorin snapped as he looked at his son in anger. "If you go to the elders, Faddon will begin some terrible lie to discredit all of us. We don't have a stone to stand on. Faddon knows I was friends with your father before he was murdered. He will claim we're lying to seek revenge for the Obsidian royal line. Your family ruled the dragons for centuries before Faddon's family usurped the throne. We'll all be dead or banished from the Living Mountain by the morning," he said grievously.

"I can't believe what I'm hearing! Why are you telling me these damning things now?" Sidian yelled.

"I doubt there will be a better time to tell you after tonight," Zorin grumbled.

"Please, honorable dragons," Tolimire interrupted as she walked back to them wrapped in her robes. "If there is anything I can do to help, I will. Sidian saved me tonight. I'm glad he allowed me to see what was happening. The High Father only knows what else Faddon would have done to me had Sidian not interrupted. You threatened your king to defend the honor of a human. That is tremendously noble. Thank you, Sidian," she said with a bow as tears continued to drip from her bright gray eyes.

Queen Tolimire was the most beautiful human Sidian had ever seen. It hurt him to know his own wretched king assaulted her while she was a guest in their kingdom.

"I wish I could have protected you from him. I strive for greatness under a despicable king. What does my life amount to now?" he asked in shame.

"I'm sorry for us both, Sidian. I must return to my husband and daughter. Thank you. I hope I will see you again before I depart for my home," she said with a respectful bow and left the garden.

"You should leave tonight, my son. I won't bear seeing you chained to the criminal wall," Zorin whispered as he looked at Sidian.

"I will not leave until I know Queen Tolimire, King Luradon, and their infant daughter are allowed to safely return home," Sidian growled before he opened his black wings and took flight over the palace.

Zorin watched him as he landed on the roof over the guestrooms where the human royalty were housed. He knew Sidian would watch over them all night in spite of his fatigue and injuries. Zorin took it upon himself to patrol the halls of the palace. He wanted to be ready to assist Sidian if Faddon caused more trouble that night.

Exile

Sidian sat alone on the palace roof, staring at the soft light resonating from the high cavern of the Living Mountain. The dragon kingdom was built inside the enormous glowing mountain. At night the geodes and rocks emitted light similar to moonlight. During the day, the geodes glowed as bright as the midday sun. This spectacular magic had protected the dragons' home for many millennia. No creature had ever successfully invaded the cavernous sanctuary, and it broke Sidian's heart that he would be leaving it. Faddon would never let him stay after that night.

"Cypress was right about everything," Sidian whispered as tears dripped from his eyes. "Faddon wanted me weak and alone, not stronger. At least I know my life will only be half miserable," he sighed as he laid back on the stone shingles to rest.

His entire body was aching, and he needed more sleep, but that would have to wait for a less dangerous hour. He listened to the melodic chirping of night insects as he fought the urge to sleep. He was about to cast an alertness spell on himself when raised voices caught his attention. He sat up and scooted closer to the balcony to listen.

"Please, keep your voice down, Luradon. I don't want the baby screaming at this hour," begged a weeping Tolimire.

"I cannot contain my anger if what you told me is true!" King Luradon grumbled in a strained but quieter tone. "By the gods, what was that wretched dragon thinking? I shall kill him this very night! I'll slit his throat in his own bed for touching you!" he declared.

After that, Sidian heard frantic protesting from Queen Tolimire before a door opened and slammed, causing an annoyed wail from the no longer sleeping infant.

"Shit! He's going after Faddon!" Sidian bellowed before he swooped in through the balcony door, startling Queen Tolimire.

She was dressed in a simple nightgown and cradling her crying baby against her chest. She looked at the intruder in terror at first, but then she recognized his familiar hair and eyes.

"Sidian! Thank the gods! You have to stop my idiot husband!" she wept.

"I will. Prepare everything you need for your journey home and nothing more. Hopefully, I can end this before it gets worse. I will take you and the baby down to the garden through the window. Do you know where the healing garden is?" he asked as he carefully took the noisy baby from Tolimire's arms so she could pack a small bag.

"Yes, I saw it yesterday," she wept as she hastily packed the baby's blankets and clothes and grabbed her traveling cloak.

"Hide with the pixies until Zorin or I come for you. Trust no one else. Are you ready?" he asked as he held his hand out to her.

"Yes," she said with a nod as she hurried over to him.

She gasped as he swiftly wrapped his arm around her and almost instantly hauled them all out the door and off the balcony. The baby stopped wailing and let out a squeal of delight as they floated down to the royal garden on a rush of wind trapped under Sidian's magnificent wings.

"By the gods!" Tolimire gasped as they landed. She held tight to Sidian's arm as her head swam with vertigo after the rapid descent.

"Sorry, the princess enjoyed it, at least," he said as he made sure Tolimire was steady on her feet before he returned the baby to her. "Make for the pond," he ordered before he darted back to the balcony faster than he fell.

Tolimire stared after him in amazement for a moment. Seeing a man with wings in flight was a rare spectacle for a human. She quickly recovered her bearings and hurried away from the palace with a happy baby in her arms.

Sidian's heart was pounding as he rushed down the quiet corridors of the palace towards the king's bedchamber. He was rushing to save Luradon from Faddon more than anything else. There weren't many guards in the palace of the dragon king since there were few creatures that could win against a dragon in a fair fight. If Luradon actually managed to kill the dragon before he woke, Sidian would be extremely impressed. He remembered how slobbering drunk Faddon had appeared in the garden earlier that night. He realized the human might actually have a small advantage.

Sidian burst into the king's room to see Luradon preparing to bring a long silver dagger down into the king's heart. Faddon's eyes flew open from the noise of the door hitting the wall and instantly threw himself across the bed, allowing Luradon to stab the mattress. Luradon cursed and yanked his dagger free of the bedding, sending goose feathers up around him like a flurry of snow. Faddon was arming himself with a dagger from the mantle as Luradon jumped on the bed and lunged for him again.

Sidian cursed and drew his sword and dagger. He darted into the room, putting himself between the feuding kings before royal blood was spilled. If blood was spilled among royalty during the holy ascension week, a ten-year famine would sweep across the realm and kill ten percent of the world's population. It sickened Sidian to see how quickly quarreling kings forgot these sacred promises.

"By the gods! Stay your blades!" Sidian cried as he spun and disarmed both men, sending Luradon's dagger flying into the king's headboard and Faddon's dagger straight into a ceiling beam.

"What is this treason?" Faddon screamed at Sidian as he turned and retrieved another dagger from the mantle. He immediately attacked Sidian with it.

"Will you halt your ignorant rage for two seconds?" Sidian growled as he met the king's charge with equal anger.

He disarmed him again, sending that dagger into a mirror in the corner. There was a terrific crash of splintering glass before the room fell silent again. The men were all panting with rage as they stared at one another.

"Sidian! How dare you prevent me from killing the man who means to assassinate me? I'll have you disemboweled for this treason!" Faddon yelled.

The veins in the king's forehead were prominent with rage at that point. Sidian wondered if they might pop.

"You raped King Luradon's wife during the holy week of the Blood Accord. He was seeking revenge against a villainous monster, not attempting to assassinate an honorable king," Sidian growled as he raised his sword and pointed it at Faddon's throat.

Every nerve in his body was itching to spill the despicable king's blood. He felt the realm would be better for it.

"THAT IS NOT YOUR FATE, SIDIAN!" announced a thunderous ethereal voice. It sounded like it resonated out of the stone walls around them.

The men gasped in fear at the angry voice. Sidian knew who it was. The voice made his heart pound with strange exhilaration. The sharp memory of what he felt while in the ascended realm was rushing back to him, but this time, there was no pain or heavy air stealing his strength.

"Hmm, excited to see me again, Sidian? I love how your heart pounds for me," Cypress purred as he suddenly materialized right in front of the young dragon, causing him to drop his sword in stunned surprise.

Luradon and Faddon scrambled away from the shimmering deity in fear. They were unable to stand in Cypress's overwhelming aura when he didn't want them there, but Sidian gulped and stood his ground in front of the demigod. Cypress enjoyed having him close.