Bastileborn - Dragon Fire Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Ya get up now too, Gavin. No more sleeping in," she said as she pulled his blanket off of him.

"Just a few more minutes, please," he groaned as he reached up and grabbed Thistle's blanket. He pulled it off of her and covered himself up with it.

"Hey! That's mine!" she chuckled as she leaned over the edge of the bed to glare at him. He had his eyes shut tight, but he was smiling ear to ear.

"If I don't get to sleep in, no one does. Thistle, step on him," Nora ordered.

"No! I'm getting up!" Gavin laughed as he sat up to avoid Thistle's feet as she jumped onto his pillow.

"Come on, we have to get your bandages changed before breakfast," Thistle said as she grabbed his arm.

"Ya two report to me afterward. It's house cleaning day, so we need all able-body slaves," Nora said before she hurried out of the room to grab a quick breakfast.

"What's house cleaning day?" Gavin asked as Thistle pulled him down the hall towards Tom's room.

"The slaughterhouse will be thoroughly cleaned today since this is a meat fasting day in the city. It's an ancient high elf tradition to not eat meat on Tuesdays. I have no idea why they do it. I just figured they started the tradition to give the slaves a chance to clean up the nasty mess in the slaughterhouse," she said with a shrug.

Gavin received a good report on his injuries that morning. Tom sent him on his way with a sturdy pair of leather gloves to cover his bandages. He and Thistle grabbed a quick breakfast of eggs and biscuits before they reported to the slaughterhouse. It was buzzing with activity. Every inch of the place had to be swept, washed, polished, sharpened, oiled, or waxed. Gavin was put to work sweeping up animal parts with Plinkon. Thistle was sent up into the rafters to clean away spider webs and bird nests since she was an excellent climber. Gavin wished he could help her instead of searching for half-rotted chicken heads that were teeming with maggots.

"Well, well... ya weren't kidding about using fine leather gloves when ya work. You are the strangest slave I've ever met next to Thistle," Plinkon said as he picked feathers out of his broom.

Like most northerners, Plinkon would put more effort into pronouncing 'you' like a Lurian when he was trying to make a point, but Gavin thought it sounded funny every time.

"What do you mean by that?" Gavin asked. It didn't surprise him that Plinkon knew there was something weird about Thistle.

"What do ya think I mean?" he asked with a bushy red eyebrow raised.

"I think it's weird that such a beautiful elf maiden is a slave. What could have brought her here? Were her parents criminals?" he asked as he watched Plinkon for a reaction.

"Good question... but yer acting is horrible."

"What do you mean by that?" Gavin demanded.

"Boy, what do ya take me for? I've been weaseling information out of people for years. I know when I'm being played, and I know ya know more than yer letting on."

"Damn it, Plinkon. What do you know? Tell me, and I might consider telling you what I know, but I'll be damned before I let you use the information to hurt someone."

"Keep yer voice down, stupid. Ya have to take my word that I only want what's best for myself. I like powerful friends, and I suspect you would be a powerful friend on the outside. If ya want to talk more, meet me by the stream for lunch."

By noon, half of the cleaning was finished, and Astrum announced the start of lunch. Everyone hurried to the kitchen to collect bread, honey, and cheese before they scattered in the yard to find some shade. Gavin walked with Plinkon to the stream, where they sat under a secluded willow tree.

"Start talking, dwarf. I need to know what's going on in that thick skull of yours," Gavin said with his mouth full of bread.

"What would you like to discuss first?" Plinkon asked as he dipped his bread in a small cup of honey.

"Why did you call Thistle a strange slave?"

"Because she is a strange occurrence. The first time I saw her, I knew she was mixed. Most people would just assume she was deformed and forget about it, but I've dealt with the high elves long enough to know what to expect in their faces. The same goes for humans, delphians, and even my own people. I made statues and carvings of all the races when I worked in Icebard City. That's how I learned to read faces. Letting a half-blood elf live is unheard of among the high elves. I knew there was something special about her. The next thing I noticed was the amount of clout one of my fellow dwarves has among the high elves. She also happens to be the caretaker of our half-elf. That led me to wonder if royalty was involved. I also want to know why none of this seems to surprise ya?" Plinkon asked as he stared at Gavin accusingly.

"That's getting to be annoying."

"Don't ever take up cards. Ya would lose yer shirt in a heartbeat."

"How do you know? Maybe I'm just not trying right now."

"Trust me, I know. My weakness for gambling got me into plenty of trouble. I have an excellent poker face, but people catch on after a while. I have a large amount of debt and enemies to my name. That's why I left Icebard City. I wanted to make my fortune abroad by selling my skills. I can make fine jewelry or impenetrable armor, and I can make it more beautiful than anyone else. That's how I ended up here. I was trading armor with dark elves and got caught by the high elves. I've been here five years now. It's about time for a change of scenery. That's where you come in. We may be able to help each other. I have a feeling ya need to get out of here sooner than later. People usually notice when a prince goes missing."

Gavin stared at the old dwarf with his mouth open for a few seconds.

"Did you infer ALL of that from my hands?"

"Yep. How much did I get right?"

"Almost all of it. I suspect you would be a powerful friend on the outside."

"I have connections. I made it my business to know everything about a person before I played cards with them, but that doesn't work with tight-lipped high elves. I've made weapons and armor for high elves, but I don't gamble with them. That's another reason why I've been here so long. I kept telling myself this isn't a bad way to retire, but then I discovered you. I'll help ya when the time comes if ya help me," he said as he held out his hand.

Gavin stared at his outstretched hand, feeling like he was striking a bargain with a devil, but he didn't have a better option.

"Damn it... it's a deal. Even though I have a bad feeling about you, Plinkon."

"Thanks, I feel the same about you. Now, let's compare knowledge and start working on a plan. Lunch will be over soon."

Gavin told his side of the story, and Plinkon listened intently to every detail. He was surprised to hear that Thistle was likely a princess of two races.

"By the gods... trouble has a way of finding ya, doesn't it, boy?"

"Yep. That's how I know you will likely get me into trouble."

"Time will tell. Speaking of time, we need to head back. We'll have to continue this conversation later."

"I don't appreciate you two sneaking off to talk about me," Thistle grumbled from somewhere close by.

Gavin and Plinkon looked at each other in surprise. Then they looked up to discover Thistle sitting on a branch right above them.

"How do you sneak around so quietly?" Gavin asked.

"The whispering lady taught me how to walk as soft as a summer breeze."

"The whispering lady... who on earth are ya talking about, squirt?" Plinkon asked with an eyebrow raised.

"She's my friend. She visits me at night sometimes. She won't tell me her real name. I'm not even sure what she looks like. She always wears a hooded cloak and whispers to me. That's why I call her the whispering lady. She gave me a bow even nicer than the one I use in the pasture. I keep it hidden under my bed, except when we practice shooting. I'm actually not supposed to talk about her, but you two know so much about me, I'm guessing you know about her too," she sighed as she jumped down from the tree and sat next to Gavin.

"Let me get this straight," Gavin began. "There's a strange woman in a cloak that visits you at night and gives you gifts?"

"Yes. What's so hard to believe about that?"

"Thistle, that isn't normal! Does Nora know about her?"

"Of course. Nora has seen her before, but if I ask her about the lady, she'll just pretend I'm talking about an imaginary friend."

"Well now," Plinkon sighed as he twisted the end of his beard. "That is the most interesting thing I've heard all afternoon. I wonder who the shadowy visitor is."

"She isn't a bad person if that's what you're thinking," Thistle said defensively.

"Don't worry, that's not what I'm thinking. I'm going to head back to the kitchen now. You two wait here for a bit. It's probably best that we three aren't seen together now that we're in cahoots. We'll plan a time to chat again soon," he said to Gavin before he gathered his lunch basket and left.

"Wow, Plinkon is an interesting find."

"He's a good friend. He volunteered to do Nora's work for her one time when she hurt her back wrestling a bull. We got to work together for a whole week."

"I'm glad to know you like him. That improves my impression of him."

"What does me liking him have to do with anything?"

"Thistle, you're the most innocent, timid, and beautiful young woman I have ever met. How could I hate someone that you like?" he asked with a soft smile as he admired her large gray eyes.

"Yep... I still think you're crazy," she said as she looked at the stream to avoid his daunting hazel gaze.

"Would this be a bad time to ask for a kiss? This is definitely more romantic than last time," he said as he reached over and gently brushed a strand of her dark hair behind her small, pointy ear.

Thistle looked at him timidly for a moment. Her cheeks were bright pink.

"I... guess it would be all right."

"Good," he whispered as he leaned closer to her.

He got close enough to feel the warmth of her breath on his mouth before he was startled by the twang of a bowstring. An instant later, a red-shafted arrow with white fletching thumped into the ground between him and Thistle. Thistle cried out and scrambled away from Gavin. They looked up the hill across the stream to see Astrum standing on the path with his bow in hand. His expression was a mix of disgust and anger.

"You stupid son of a bitch! What was that about?" Gavin yelled as he stood and yanked the arrow out of the ground. He snapped it in half and threw it into the stream.

"Hold your tongue, you wretched slave, or I'll put the next one in your chest," Astrum growled as he set another arrow on his string.

Gavin was clenching his fists and panting as he watched Astrum walk down the hill and stop next to the stream. Gavin wanted to cross the stream and beat the snot out of him, but he would be shot before he reached the opposite bank.

"How dare you attempt to kiss a high elf maiden? She may be a slave, but she's still an elf. I should shoot you now for attempting racial treason, you disgusting human," Astrum spat.

"How dare you shoot an arrow at royalty? You stupid bastard!" Gavin yelled.

"Gavin, stop talking!" Thistle squeaked in horror.

Astrum's eyes widened as he stared at them in disbelief. By that point, Plinkon had returned to see what the yelling was about.

"Hey now, kids! What's all the yelling for? Astrum, how about ya put that arrow away, and we talk about this? The last thing ya need to do is shoot this idiot and start a war," Plinkon said in a fatherly tone.

Astrum looked at him like he was insane, but he knew the old dwarf wasn't a liar. Plinkon had always been nice to him. He even woke him up once when he had fallen asleep under a tree during his watch. Had his commanding officer found him sleeping on the job, he would have been punished severely and kicked out of the city.

"Plinkon, please explain what's going on. I caught the human about to commit treason. I have to turn him in," he said as he put his arrow back in his quiver.

"If I told ya everything, it would put us all in a lot of danger. Please do me a huge favor and let this slide. I'll talk to the idiot about his behavior, but if ya still want to turn him in, you will have to go through me first. By the honor of my people, and under the witness of Icebard The Great, I take this young man under my protection. If ya kill him or attempt to turn him in, I will have to kill you. Ya can fill this old carcass with arrows, but I would still have the strength to kill ya before my last breath, and if, by some miracle, ya manage to kill us both, ya will have committed an act of war. The idiot boy needs to live and remain anonymous. Do you understand?"

Astrum stared at Plinkon in astonishment for a long moment. He eventually sighed and nodded. Then he turned and walked back up the hill to continue his rounds. He was furious and confused, but he owed Plinkon his livelihood. He could never forget that.

"Plinkon, you didn't have to put yourself in my service!" Gavin snapped.

"It's too late now. Ya obviously need a babysitter. Ya need to remember where ya are and keep yer stupid lips and hands to yerself. My life, Thistle's life, and Astrum's life will be affected by yer actions. Please don't get us all killed."

"Fine. I'm sorry," he groaned as he looked down in shame. "I'm especially sorry to you, Thistle. I wasn't thinking."

Thistle quickly wiped her tears and nodded.

"What if Astrum tells someone what happened?" she asked nervously.

"Don't worry yer pretty little head about it. Astrum may act as fool-hearty as Gavin, but he won't rat us out. He has good character. I'll talk to him more to calm his fears. As for you, boy, stay the hell out of trouble," Plinkon ordered as he took Thistle's hand and walked with her back towards the castle.

"Damn it! Astrum shoots an arrow at us and gets off easy. I try to steal a kiss, and I'm endangering everyone's life!" Gavin grumbled as he kicked his lunch basket into the stream. "Shit!" he yelled as he scrambled to retrieve it before it floated away.

Temptation

Gavin was still fuming over the arrow incident as everyone returned to their dorms that evening. He and Thistle were quiet as they ate supper with Nora at the little table under the window. Bread and cheese were the only items served for supper on a fasting day.

Gavin felt ill at ease as he thought about Astrum. He wondered if he had been watching him, Plinkon, and Thistle by the stream the whole time. He sighed as he looked up to see Thistle staring at him. Her large gray eyes never ceased to amaze him. Her pale skin and dark hair perfectly framed the sparkling diamonds she used to shatter his grumpiness. She quickly looked away with a blush on her face after their eyes met. He couldn't help smiling at her reaction. He was suddenly reminded that he didn't get to kiss her. That made him extra angry at Astrum.

"Ya two are awfully quiet this evening. Is something wrong?" Nora asked as she looked between them.

"No, I'm just exhausted," Gavin said with a forced yawn.

"Me too. Those days off made me lazy," Thistle said with a shrug.

"And forgetful. Weren't ya supposed to take Gavin back to see Tom this evening? Those bandages look a bit... unsanitary. Not to mention the rest of yer clothes. Did ya two forget to wash before supper?" she asked as she tilted her head towards Gavin's hands. The once white bandages had turned brown with grime and dried blood.

"Blast it! We're both slow dummies today. Let's go, Gavin, before Tom turns in for the night," she ordered as she pulled him up.

"Wait, Thistle," Nora called, stopping them in the doorway. "I'm about to have my weekly meeting with George about slaughterhouse supplies. It took two hours last time. Ya two behave if I'm not here when ya get back."

"Of course, Nora, goodnight," Thistle said in amusement.

The hall oil lamps were lit, giving the stones a warm glow as they hurried around a corner. They were half-way to Tom's room when Gavin stopped, causing Thistle to drop his arm. She twirled around and looked at him in surprise for a moment.

"What's wrong?" she whispered.

She didn't understand why, but being alone with him in the hall felt extremely intimate. She couldn't help noticing how inviting his skin looked in the glow of the overhead lamp. His eyes and hair looked darker as he gazed at her. His expression was sad.

"Thistle, I want to apologize for my stupid behavior today. I'm rather torn up about it, and I'll probably do something like that again because I'm an impulsive idiot."

"Don't apologize, Gavin. I wasn't very clever today either," she said as she remembered their intimate moment by the stream.

"So... you're okay with what happened?"

"Yes. Well, I didn't like that we were interrupted."

"I'm glad to hear that," he said with a charming smile. "Thistle, may I get close to you for a moment? I'm not going to kiss you in such an unromantic place, but I do want to be close to you. If you don't mind."

"I don't mind at all."

"Thank you," he breathed as he stepped over to her, gently ran his fingers into her soft hair, and pulled her face close to his. It sent her heart into her throat.

Thistle could feel his warm breath on her skin as he slid his fingers through her hair. It made her spine tingle. Gavin was feeling the same way as he gently rubbed their noses together, wishing he could kiss her.

"You smell amazing," he whispered. "I love burying my face in your pillow at night. It smells almost as good as you."

"You smell pretty nice yourself," she whispered. The urge to close the tiny distance between their lips was almost unbearable.

"We really should go now," he suggested.

"Not just yet," she whispered as she reached up and slid her fingers into his silky hair. She pulled his cheek to her lips and kissed it very close to the corner of his mouth.

"Whoa, too much temptation," he said as he gently pushed her away and stared at her blushing face in amusement. "I'm very pleased to know I tempt you as much as you tempt me."

Her eyes widened in surprise after that comment.

"You are too pleased with yourself sometimes," she sighed before she twirled and continued down the hall.

Tom cringed when they entered his apothecary, looking like they had just stepped out of the slaughterhouse. He gave Thistle the medicinal salve and bandages she would need to treat Gavin's hands and ordered them both to the hygiene showers.

"The water in the overhead tank should still be warm," Thistle said as she collected some clean clothes, soap, and two oil lamps from the hall closet next to the showers.

She directed Gavin into a simple stone stall and hung one of the lamps over the dressing bench. Then she retreated to her own stall to get cleaned up. She stepped into the warm water and began rinsing off sweat and grime. It was wonderfully relaxing. She rarely used the overhead showers, but her enjoyment was cut short by a gut-wrenching cry of pain from Gavin's stall. She quickly turned her shower off and threw a towel around herself. She ran into Gavin's stall to discover him leaning against the wall naked with his hands shaking in front of him. Tears were streaming down his face as blood dripped down his arms.

"What did you do?" she demanded as she rushed over to examine his hands. They were still wrapped in the filthy bandages, but now they were soaked and bleeding.

"I couldn't get the bandages unstuck. I bloodied my hands trying, so I decided to wet them. That hurt like hellfire. I'm okay. I just need a minute," he stammered. He looked green in the face as he leaned against the wall with his eyes closed.

"By the gods, your hands will rot off at this rate," she grumbled as she quickly shut the water off and guided him over to the stone bench.

1...34567...11