Bastileborn - Dragon Fire Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Anyway, the Peace Mission was Gregory's ambitious idea. We were all inspired by the harmony created by the renewal of the Blood Accord. We were foolishly convinced we could befriend the delphians. They had openly spoken with us during the holy week in the Living Mountain. The humans, dwarves, and high elves were finally working together to maintain peace.

There were no signs of hostility as our caravan traveled deep into the Blue Delph Forest. We were searching for the secret city of Sheth. We made no effort to conceal ourselves or appear threatening. We wanted the delphians to contact us. Late one night, we were ambushed by the dark elves. Many of our guardsmen were killed. They swarmed on us like demons.

Gazon and the dwarf king managed to fight off their attackers, but Gregory and I weren't so lucky. We were captured and led to the city of Sheth in chains. They locked us in a dark cell together and gave us herbs that altered our sense of reality. Then they began telling us incredible lies. They convinced Gregory that one of their armies had captured North Luria and slaughtered his wife and son. Gregory was prepared to take his life after that, but I talked him out of it. We helped each other survive, and we fell in love. Thistle was the result of that. We both thought we were going to die. We figured our actions didn't matter anymore.

We began planning an escape even though we felt it was futile. It gave us something to do. The more we worked on it, the more we thought it might work, but before we had a chance to enact our plan, they simply set us free. Someone had negotiated our release. We never found out who saved us. We rushed to North Luria to see what was left of Gregory's kingdom. To our astonishment, the city was untouched. The delphians had lied about the attack. None of it made sense, but we were thankful either way. We were also sad that we had allowed ourselves to fall in love, and to our horror, I was with child.

Gregory had no choice but to return to his family and kingdom, and he wanted me to stay in North Luria until the child was born. We bravely and fearfully explained our gut-wrenching situation to Queen Selena. She broke into tears and hugged me. Of all the terrible ways she could have reacted, she chose to hug and weep with me. I'll never forget the relief and love I felt that day. Selena's heart was just as pure as Gregory's. She forgave us for what we did and immediately introduced me to Prince Eric. He was just learning to walk and already a spitting image of Gregory. I wanted to stay in Luria for the rest of my life.

The news of Gregory's homecoming swept through the land like wildfire. Many people had seen me with him and confirmed I was alive as well. Gazon came to retrieve me the following week. I told Gregory not to worry. I promised him I would protect our baby and bring it to his kingdom secretly. The prospect of war or my sudden execution kept him and Selena from making a scene when my kinsmen arrived.

At first, I told Gazon and Fumarus that I had been with child before we set out for the city of Sheth. That lie would protect me until she was born, at least. Gazon quickly guessed the truth when he saw Thistle's ears. Then I laid myself out at his feet and begged for mercy, and he let me keep her. He covered it up by telling everyone I had miscarried. Only me, Fumarus, and Gazon really knew the truth, or what little I told them. We burned a little piglet at Thistle's funeral. Then I lied to Gregory. I sent him a letter telling him I had miscarried our little girl. I didn't want him charging in and starting a war, and I was too scared of Gazon to flee with the baby. At least I got to watch you grow up," she whispered with tears in her eyes as she looked at Thistle.

"You loved my father?" Thistle asked.

"I still do. Had things been different, I would have spent my life with him."

"I just don't get it," Gavin mumbled. "Why did the dark elves set you free so suddenly? Did they chicken out and send you away before armies arrived to retrieve you? Why didn't Gazon immediately come after you? How much time passed while you were captive?"

"You're asking the same questions I asked Gazon after my return. He swore he had been in constant communication with the delphians for weeks. He said they would have killed us if he brought an army to their city. We were, after all, willingly trespassing in their territory when we were captured. His story seemed very convincing, but I had my doubts. Gazon never really liked me, but I didn't think he wanted me dead. He said he didn't know what made the delphians release us."

"Is there anything else you're not telling us?" Gavin asked.

"That's everything. I swear it. You know the worst of the truth now. What else would I have to hide?"

"I guess you're right. We need to move forward now. I have a few demands," Gavin said with a charming grin. Ellora opened her mouth to protest, but he quickly held up his hand and shushed her. "Please, hear me out before we start arguing again. You already know that I'm in a bit of a bind. I can't stay here forever without causing a lot of trouble, but I'm not inclined to leave without Thistle."

Thistle's and Nora's eyes went wide after that comment. Ellora was staring at Gavin like he was a rattlesnake.

"If you force me to leave without her," he continued, "I will come back with an army to retrieve her. She belongs with Gregory, and I don't know why you would protest that. Gazon is dead, and something tells me King Fumarus doesn't pay much attention to the comings and goings of slaves. Am I right?"

"That's a safe assumption," Ellora agreed. "As far as I know, Fumarus doesn't think of Thistle often. He knows the nights I visit her, but he never asks about her. Wesley, on the other hand, asks about her often."

Gavin tensed at that revelation.

"You told Wesley about your bastard child?" he asked in disbelief.

"Who's Wesley?" Thistle asked in confusion.

"Prince Wesley is your younger brother, Thistle," Ellora said with a smile. "You're a year older than him. I had no intention of telling him about you, but he saw us practicing archery one night. He confronted me about it and demanded to know who you were. He hasn't looked at me the same since. I think he's angry that I never told him he had a sister that should have been killed under high elf law."

"Does he think I should have been killed?" Thistle asked with wide eyes.

"I don't think so. He wanted to meet you at first, but I insisted it was too dangerous. He asks me about you after our visits. I think he watches when we practice archery. He is very kind. I taught him compassion. I think, like many of us, he finds our racial laws to be too harsh."

"You don't say?" Gavin asked with a lot of sarcasm in his voice. "By the way, you're painting a pretty picture of Wesley that doesn't match up to reality. He's a bit of a pompous jerk if you ask me."

"Well... I didn't ask you. When did you meet my son?" Ellora demanded.

"Eric and I attended the Spring Wine Festival in Lushgale Village last year. We're always keen on celebrating the second best wine in Bastileborn," he said with a smile.

"You consider Lushgale wine to be second best? Let me guess, Mauve Pearl wine is the absolute best wine in Bastileborn?" Ellora asked as she rolled her eyes.

"Of course! Lushgale wine is too sweet. It's not dry enough to drink with steak."

"For heaven's sake!" Nora interrupted. "Human and elf wine are both delicious. Please continue with yer story, Gavin. I would like to know what yer planning to do with our baby girl," she said as she nodded courteously in Ellora's direction.

The queen smiled at her after that. The ancient argument over human and elf wine almost started wars on a weekly basis in Bastileborn.

"Sorry... anyway," Gavin continued, "Eric and I bumped into Wesley at the festival and realized he was the prince of the elves. I know another trouble-making prince when I see one. He was poorly disguised. He was wearing his formal attire under a slave tunic. It was hilarious! I'm guessing that was his first time sneaking out of the palace. So, Eric and I accosted him. We sat down with him in the village square for a friendly chat.

He was friendly enough, doesn't have much of a head for wine. We told him who we were and he said he was pleased to meet us. We drank too much and played cards for an hour. Wesley was talking down to us the entire time. He would constantly refer to us as 'you silly humans' and roll his eyes. It was terribly annoying. We figured his father instilled those habits into him. I got overly annoyed with the brat and decided it was time to make a flashy exit. I picked a fight with him and called his mother a whore. I'm terribly sorry about that, Ellora. I was just trying to make him angry. It worked beautifully. He instantly flew into a rage. The next thing I knew, we were duking it out in the square. I have to give him credit. He has a mean right hook. My eye was black for two weeks after that fight. I made sure his would be too. I vaguely remember being dragged out of the village by two high elf sentries. That was a great festival."

"You're the whelp that blacked both of Wesley's eyes?" Ellora yelled in disbelief.

"I got both of them? Excellent!" Gavin laughed.

Ellora was reaching for her sword when Thistle slapped Gavin hard in the back of the head.

"Owe! What was that for?"

"That's for beating up my little brother, you jerk."

"Sheesh, enough with the hen-pecking. Thanks to me, Wesley had a great time. A drunken fight in public is something every young man can be proud of. Anyway, what does Wesley have to do with me taking Thistle to Gregory?"

"Gavin," Ellora sighed. "I know this concept is hard for you to grasp, but since you insist on taking Thistle away, I would like to let her go as peacefully as possible. I want to avoid starting a war. I'm sure Thistle would agree with that."

"Of course!" she announced. "I told you before, Gavin. I don't want to start a war. I would happily leave with you if I knew it was safe."

"There you have it! She does want to leave with me," Gavin said with a triumphant smile.

Thistle blushed and rolled her eyes.

"Very well," Ellora sighed. "I would like to tell Wesley about your intentions. He's the only person that could disrupt our plans. Gavin, would you like to escort Thistle and Wesley to Mauve Pearl Village for the Fire and Wine Festival? That way, you can dance with Thistle in the square under the fire lanterns."

Gavin and Thistle looked at each other and smiled.

"That would be wonderful," he agreed. "All the royal families in Luria attend that festival. I can take Thistle to meet her father."

"Exactly. Mauve Pearl is the closest human village to Carus. It would be a pleasant and fairly safe trip for all of you, but the random dismissal of two slaves is the tricky part. I would like Wesley's input on planning your escape. He needs entertainment. Ever since his adventure with you and Eric in Lushgale Village, he has been noticeably irritated with palace life."

"Yep. He got a taste of adventure, and now he wants more. I'm glad I assisted in growing him up some," Gavin said proudly.

Prince Wesley

Ellora felt mentally exhausted as she made her way back into the palace through the back hall that led to the rose garden balcony. The palace walls and floors were made of cloudy white marble. White granite pillars encircled with decorative gold vines held up dramatic arched ceilings. The floor was a mosaic of gold-encrusted marble tiles that depicted stars, flowers, and wildlife. Everything sparkled in the moonlight. With the aid of a small oil lantern, Ellora stored her cloak and weapons in a trunk under a hall window. She glanced down the corridor and noticed the balcony doors were slightly open. The moon was full and casting a pale beam across the floor.

"Wesley," she sighed in realization. He sometimes watched her and Thistle practice archery from the balcony. "He must still be out there," she whispered as she went to the door to look for him.

The doors were made of stained glass that depicted yellow and pink climbing roses on golden trellises. The moonlight had washed out the colors. The smell of roses permeated the night air as she stepped outside. She found Wesley sitting on the balcony floor, leaning against the balustrade. He was fast asleep with a book and candle next to his knee. Ellora smiled at her handsome son. She thought he looked a lot like his father Fumarus. He had long dark hair and elegant tall ears. He was a perfect example of high elf royalty. Ellora sat down across from him and gently shook him. He jumped as his eyes flew open.

"Mom, hey... what's going on? What time is it?" he asked as he straightened up and rubbed his face. His gray eyes shine like stars in the moonlight.

"I'm not sure of the hour myself. I spent a long time in the slave quarters with Thistle. What were you reading?" she asked as she looked at the book.

"Oh, an adventurous tale of human knights slaying dragons. I figured you and Thistle would eventually come out to do archery, but you never showed. Is Thistle all right? She's not sick, is she?"

"No. She's fine, but I need to talk to you about something important. Are you willing to keep a treasonous secret and possibly commit a treasonous act? You are the future king of Carus. I understand if you don't want any part in this. If that's the case, I simply ask for your silence. If you cannot keep silent, then please tell me before I send your sister to her death," she said very seriously. Wesley's eyes had widened with excitement.

"I'll keep silent and commit treason if it will get me out of this stupid palace for a few days."

Ellora huffed in surprise at his answer. She wasn't sure if she should approve of such a quick answer to such a serious question.

"I didn't think you would be excited to commit treason. It could always be worse. Would you like to meet your sister?"

"I would love to! I like waking up to adventure. We should do this more often, mom."

"Adventure isn't always entertaining," she sighed as she led the way back into the hall.

Nora, Gavin, and Thistle were wide awake after talking to Ellora. Nora was crying as she held Thistle tight, knowing her baby girl could be leaving soon. Gavin was fast at work, using Thistle's drawing paper to write letters to his family.

"It's all right, Nora. I'll be fine. Gavin will take good care of me."

"That's not very comforting," Nora blubbered as she squeezed her extra tight.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. They all caught their breath as a handsome high elf stepped into the room. They automatically assumed he was a sentry. The dark-haired elf was as tall as Astrum, but his features were softer. His eyes immediately jumped to Thistle.

"Wow, you do look like mother, except for your eyes," he said with a bright smile.

Ellora quickly came in behind him, relieving their fear.

"Wesley?" Thistle asked in amazement.

"Thistle, this is your little brother," Ellora said with a proud smile.

"Little? That's not an honest description," Nora chuckled.

"Damn, Wesley, you've grown about a foot since I last saw you," Gavin announced as he approached him with his hand out.

Wesley looked at him in surprise.

"You!" he exclaimed as he pointed at him. "You're the son of a bitch that blacked both my eyes!" he growled as his hand went to his sword.

"Hey! I'm a friend! I'm here to help Thistle. Besides, you had an excellent time at the festival thanks to Eric and me," he said with a devilish grin.

Wesley frowned at him for a moment. Then his eyes went wide when he remembered what Gavin told him about himself.

"This night keeps getting more interesting. You're the prince of Talfane, aren't you? You really shouldn't be here," he said as he looked at his mother for answers.

"He's another problem we have to deal with," she sighed.

"I resent that. I'm a troublemaker. Not a problem maker," Gavin grumbled.

"Gavin, can you be serious about anything?" Thistle asked.

"I'm very serious about wine."

"I'm having second thoughts about letting Thistle leave with you," Ellora noted.

"Are we ready to talk strategy here, folks? I'm losing some precious sleep," Nora said with a yawn.

"Who is this?" Wesley asked in reference to Nora.

"My name is Nora, and I raised yer sister. I very much consider her my adopted daughter," she said as she pet Thistle's long dark hair.

"Ahh... you're the famous Nora I've heard so much about. I hear you wrestle razorbacks. That's very impressive."

"Why thank ya, young prince. That's my specialty."

"I have half a mind to send Nora along with Thistle," Ellora interrupted, "but it's going to be hard enough keeping the disappearance of two slaves a secret," she said as she crossed the room and sat on the edge of Nora's bed. "Alright, the first thing we need to discuss is you, Wesley. Can you keep all this a secret? I would like to send you traveling with Thistle and Gavin. If you have a problem with any of this, speak now. This is the point of no return."

Wesley looked at his mother for a moment. Then he carefully looked at the faces of everyone in the room.

"I can handle this, mom. I sense that you trust everyone here, even the idiotic human."

"I resent..." Gavin began, but Ellora cut him off.

"Wonderful!" she announced. "Now, we need to figure out how to get you three out of the palace without alerting Fumarus."

"I, for one, can leave at my own volition," Wesley began. "I'm eighteen now. I'm considered an adult by the justice system of Carus."

"Indeed, but you're still the only male heir to the throne. An elite guard must travel with you if you leave our kingdom," she said as she looked at him hard. Wesley frowned and rolled his eyes.

"Wait a minute," Gavin interrupted. "He has to be escorted by a guard? I don't see how taking him is an option if that's the case."

"We can make it work," Ellora said confidently. "There's a young sentry that owes me a great debt. His parents were on friendly terms with the delphians. They stole and smuggled Carus wine and textiles into the Blue Delph Forest. They were captured and sentenced to death for their crimes. They had a four-year-old in their company when they were captured. Children of criminals can receive a royal pardon if they show good character. I retrieved the child myself and escorted him to the Carus orphanage. He had wonderful character and was very smart. He knew his parents were going to be executed. He even told me he was sorry for what they did. The little fellow started crying after that. He was so pitiful. I held him as he cried himself to sleep. I visited him at the orphanage over the years. When an orphaned boy shows great promise, they're brought to Carus Academy. There, young elves compete to become royal sentries. Children of criminals aren't usually given that honor, but Astrum was an exception."

"Astrum?" Thistle and Gavin exclaimed at the same time, startling everyone.

"Yes, Astrum. What's so surprising about that?"

"Let me get this straight," Gavin began. "You're planning to ask Astrum to escort Wesley, Thistle, and me out of the kingdom?"

"Yes, I know I can trust him. I can dissolve his pardon and have him executed if I want. Do you two not like him for some reason?"

"To be honest, he hates my guts. He also appears to be in love with Thistle," Gavin sighed.

"Gavin!" Thistle hissed as her cheeks turned crimson.

"He hates you already?" Wesley chuckled. "You have that effect on every high elf you meet, don't you?"

"Oh, for goodness's sake," Ellora huffed. "What did you do to make Astrum hate you?"

Gavin suddenly wished he had kept his mouth shut.

"I uh... tried to kiss Thistle by the stream, and Astrum saw us. He shot an arrow between us. He was going to turn me in for racial treason, but Plinkon intervened and talked him out of it. Oh, um... Plinkon sort of knows who I am. He also guessed a lot about Thistle. He could turn us all in for treason, but he's sworn to my service, so I don't think he will," he said as he looked at Ellora's murderous gaze.

1...56789...11