Bastileborn - Dragon Fire Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Wesley and Nora were staring at Gavin with their mouths open. Thistle had her face buried in her hands.

"By the gods... you're quite the trouble maker," Ellora breathed, trying to keep her temper under control.

"I said he could kiss me," Thistle admitted. "I told him I wanted him to. It's just as much my fault."

"You two have made this a hundred times more complicated, but I have no right to judge you. I'm still going to request Astrum's help in spite of his hatred of you, Gavin. You'll just have to watch your back once you leave the kingdom."

"Then I insist on bringing Plinkon with me as my royal guard."

"What?" Ellora growled.

"It would be in everyone's best interest," Gavin continued. "If anything happens to me, the blame will fall on Plinkon instead of the high elves," he said as he looked at Wesley for his input.

"He's right, mother. That's a good idea. It's only fair."

"Fine. I don't think this could get any more difficult if the king himself wanted to go," she grumbled.

"Then it's settled," Gavin said with a nod. "I'll inform Plinkon of our intentions tomorrow at lunch. He can help us plan. He's very clever."

"I have an idea," Wesley said as he looked at Gavin and smiled.

"Let's hear it, beanpole," he said as he crossed his arms.

"Mom, can a group of slaves earn their freedom by protecting a royal heir in a dangerous situation?"

"Oh, no... I don't like the sound of this already, but yes."

"Good. Father's trip to Silver Crest Village starts in a few days. He's using it as an excuse to avoid the Fire and Wine Festival in Mauve Pearl Village," he said as he rolled his eyes.

"Why would anyone want to avoid that incredible festival?" Gavin asked in astonishment.

"Because father doesn't like friendly associations with humans. That's going to change when I'm king. I'm going to all the human festivals, invited or not. Anyway, we can pull the stunt I'm planning while he's gone. The first phase of my plan will start with you, Nora. I need you to pretend to hurt your back so that Plinkon and Gavin can volunteer to do your job. Can you manage that?"

"It will be the most honorable injury I ever faked," she declared.

"Good. Gavin, how confident are you about taking down another razorback like you did the other day?"

"How do you know about that?"

"I was watching from the west tower. I always watch when Nora and Thistle bring down a razorback. I was terribly impressed by your crazy stunt. It just occurred to me that it was you I saw. There aren't any other human slaves as young as you. How did you know that would work? Have you done it before?"

"God no, I had no clue that would work," he laughed as he scratched his head. "That was definitely one of the stupidest things I've ever done, but I know now I can do it again."

"Good heavens, Gavin. How have you survived this long?" Ellora asked.

"I suspect I have a guardian angel with an excellent sense of adventure."

Royal Pardon

The next few days were very busy for the Carus slaves as they hurried about in preparation for Prince Wesley's visit. He had announced he would begin doing quarterly inspections of their work areas to improve productivity. When the important morning finally dawned, Nora pretended to be injured per her instructions before she wished Gavin and Thistle a heartfelt good luck. They were off to meet Plinkon in the bull pen behind the slaughterhouse.

"Good morning, lad and lady! I hope yer ready for some razorback wrangling," Plinkon announced as they joined him on the edge of the grassy pasture. The fields were still covered in morning mist since the sun had yet to creep over the trees.

"As ready as we'll ever be. You better be ready with that stove poker," Gavin said as he looked at the metal rod hanging from Plinkon's belt. "Are you sure you don't have a bigger ax you can use instead?"

"Sorry, lad. My chicken ax is the biggest one they'll let me have, and it can barely behead a chicken. The poker is far more lethal against a bull. I'll be ready to do my part with it. It would certainly ruin my day if I missed out on the pardon because ya and Thistle killed the beast before I got to stab it."

"You should have plenty of chances. Tom put something in Thistle's plums to make the bull irritable, and Wesley will be wearing his wolf skin cloak. Nora said the white wolf is the mortal enemy of the razorback. They'll fight to the death in the wild. So we need to be ready. If anything happens to Thistle's beanpole brother, I'll never forgive myself."

"Wesley will be fine. We'll kill the beast before it gets to him," Thistle declared.

"I like yer attitude, little lady," Plinkon laughed.

"I like it too. Confidence suits you," Gavin said with a wink.

"Concern and humility suit you, Gavin. You should try them more often."

"I have all sorts of things I want to try with you once we get out of here," he said with a devilish grin as he reached over and ran his fingers down her soft cheek.

"Knock it off, Gavin," Plinkon huffed. "What did I tell ya about keeping yer stupid hands to yerself?"

Gavin sighed in annoyance and stepped away from Thistle. She chuckled at him as she glanced towards the palace. She saw Astrum and Wesley coming up the yard, so she rushed to the backdoor to greet them. She had never felt more important in her life. Her eyes met Wesley's from across the room as he entered the slaughterhouse. Astrum was right behind him, looking protective and on edge. He was scowling as he looked at the slaves. Wesley and Astrum looked handsome together. One tall brunette and one tall blonde. They were both exemplar high elf men.

Wesley was all smiles as he greeted the slaves and asked questions about their work. The slaves were surprised and flummoxed by Wesley's kindness. They were expecting an arrogant brat full of insults, but what they met was a charming prince.

Wesley and Astrum made their way to the back of the slaughterhouse where Thistle was waiting to greet them. She grew nervous as they approached. Astrum finally knew what she was. Her heart sank at the thought of him despising her for being half-human.

"Hello, young miss," Wesley announced. "What might your name be?"

"My name is Thistle, your highness. It's truly an honor to meet you," she said with a low bow.

"Thistle, what a lovely name! Don't you think so, Astrum?" Wesley asked as he nudged the sentry with his elbow.

Thistle timidly looked up at Astrum. She was surprised to see a blush brightening his cheeks. His big blue eyes were full of anxiety.

"Yes, I do think it's a lovely name," he said as he bowed his head to Thistle.

"I thought so," Wesley said in approval. "Now, let's get to the best part of the tour. I want to see a razorback!" he announced and entered the bullpen to greet Gavin.

Thistle was still staring at Astrum as he raised his head and met her gaze.

"Milady, please forgive me for the arrow. I had no idea," he whispered.

"The arrow?" she asked in confusion. "Oh, the arrow you shot at Gavin and me! I forgive you for it. Besides, I know you would have shot Gavin before you shot me," she chuckled.

Her comment brought a smile to his handsome face and it caught Thistle off guard. She had never seen Astrum smile like that before, and the effect was daunting.

"Well, um..." she stammered. "Let's get to our places!" she said and hurried out the door.

Astrum stood guard in the doorway to keep a crowd from gathering. Thistle stood with Wesley as Gavin and Plinkon explained how they were going to rope the razorback.

"That sounds straightforward," Wesley said in approval. "I'll wave my cape a bit when the bull comes into view."

"Bravery aside," Gavin said as he looked at the prince. "If he flat-out charges, get out of the way."

"I'm not an idiot, Gavin," he sighed.

"Alright then," Plinkon said with a nod. "Thistle, up ya go."

"Yes, sir," she said and scurried up the oak tree faster than a squirrel.

Wesley smiled as he watched her.

"Get ready!" she called as she launched her first plum.

"Here we go," Gavin sighed as he watched it land in the field with a thump.

To everyone's astonishment, the largest razorback any of them had ever seen appeared through the mist and grass and chomped on the plum.

"Oh no! It's Stinkeye!" Thistle gasped.

"Icebard's beard! He's a nasty looking critter!" Plinkon bellowed.

"He'll give me bragging rights for years!" Gavin called excitedly. "Thistle, shoot the next plum!"

"No, Gavin. He might be too much for you and Plinkon. He's the beast that caused Nora to throw out her back last year."

"I'm up for it if you are, old dwarf," Gavin said as he winked at Plinkon.

"Yer gonna be the death of me, boy. Go ahead, squirt. Draw him closer," Plinkon called as he readied his lasso.

"I'm supposed to get that monster's attention?" Wesley asked in disbelief.

"I won't let it hurt you, beanpole."

Thistle grumbled as she reluctantly shot another plum into the field. Stinkeye was already showing signs of irritability as he stamped his hooves and shook his head like his ears itched.

"I wish Nora were here to call this off," Thistle muttered as she readied another arrow and aimed it at Stinkeye's head.

Stinkeye hurried forward and chomped on the last plum. He shook his head as his ears burned, and his mouth stung. Everything around him was now a hundred times more annoying. The first thing to catch his eye was Wesley's cloak, the familiar white fur of his most hated enemy, the white mountain wolf. Thistle watched the scene unfold with frightening detail. Stinkeye charged her brother in a drunken rage. Gavin wouldn't be able to snap his neck. She began shooting arrows into Stinkeye's skull, hoping to slow him down, but he didn't even flinch at the injuries. Gavin and Plinkon quickly realized things were going south. Astrum gasped and began shooting frantically to assist Thistle, but nothing phased the enraged bull.

"NO!" Thistle screamed as Stinkeye burst through the pen, sending splinters in all directions.

"MOVE!" Gavin screamed as he dived for Wesley, knocking him out of the razorback's path.

The bull's shoulder hit Gavin as he passed, knocking him and Wesley across the lawn. Then it crashed headfirst into a large sharpening stone that sat outside the slaughterhouse door. The stone weighed about eight hundred pounds. Stinkeye knocked it out of its cradle. The stone slammed into the side of the slaughterhouse, cracking the wall all the way up to the roof. The whole building shuddered from the impact, knocking Thistle to her knees. Stinkeye's skull cracked on impact with the stone. The beast's legs buckled, and he fell to the ground for an instant, but to everyone's horror, he snorted and got back up. Plinkon dived for him at that point and drove the stove poker into the monster's neck, severing his spine. He made a horrible pained squeal before he finally fell limp in the grass.

"Is everyone all right?" Thistle cried as she dashed across the roof and hurried down the tree.

Astrum and Plinkon rushed to check on Gavin and Wesley. They were still on the ground after being flung across the lawn.

"Are they both hurt?" Thistle demanded.

"The prince isn't injured, but Gavin is bleeding," Astrum said as he helped Wesley to his feet.

Gavin was lying on his side, with Plinkon kneeling beside him. A bloody chunk of wood was lodged in Gavin's rib cage. The large splinter had stuck in Stinkeye's shoulder when he crashed through the fence. It stabbed Gavin when they collided. It would have stabbed Wesley had Gavin not pushed him out of the way. There was blood all over Gavin's shirt and dripping from his nose. Astrum hurried over to Gavin when he began coughing up blood.

"By the gods, Gavin!" Thistle gasped in horror.

"I need to take him to Tom," Astrum announced. "Plinkon, see that the slaughterhouse isn't going to collapse. Then come find us," he ordered as he carefully gathered Gavin in his arms. Gavin made a pained gurgle in his throat from being moved.

Thistle followed Astrum and Wesley without a word. Once they arrived in the slave quarters, Thistle hurried ahead of them to show them to Tom's room. Tom ordered Astrum to lay Gavin on his stomach on the table so he could cough the blood out of his lung. Thistle was given a bucket to catch the blood and instructed to keep Gavin's head up so he could breathe. Then Tom pulled the splinter from his body, causing him to cry out. Then he poured a fragrant liquid into the wound, causing some agonized whimpering.

"What is that, doctor?" Wesley asked curiously. Everyone glanced at the prince in surprise, not realizing he had come into the room.

"Good gracious, young prince, I didn't realize you were here," Tom said in surprise. "It's gish root water. It will help keep the wound clean and slow the bleeding. His right lung was pierced. It's not deep. It will bleed for a bit, but he should be able to cough the excess blood out. It looks a lot worse than it is, thankfully. If infection stays away, he should bounce back from this in a few days."

"Thank goodness," Thistle breathed in relief.

"How on earth did this happen?" Tom asked as he looked at Thistle.

"Stinkeye charged through the fence. That splinter was a piece of the fence," she said as she looked at the bloody chunk of wood.

"Stupid bull made me look bad. Is beanpole all right?" Gavin grumbled, followed by a bloody cough.

"Which beanpole? Me or Astrum?" Wesley asked.

"They're both fine, Gavin," Thistle said as she pet his hair.

"Good," he said with another cough.

"No more talking, Gavin. Just cough when you need to. You're irritating your wound," Tom said as he poured more gish root water over it, causing him to tense with pain.

"That irritates it more," Gavin groaned.

"The boy literally can't keep his mouth shut to save his life," Astrum sighed.

Plinkon poked his head into the room at that point for a status report. Tom assured him Gavin would likely survive the ordeal.

"Well," Wesley began, "you three have earned a royal pardon, and Astrum shall be promoted to my personal bodyguard since he also assisted in stopping the bull."

"Sounds wonderful, yer highness," Plinkon said with a grin. "I'll take my leave now and inform Nora about the accident. Show him no mercy, doc," he called before he ducked out of the room.

"Old fart," Gavin grumbled.

"Come, your highness. We should report the details of the accident to the queen," Astrum said as he looked at Wesley.

"Of course, give me a moment," Wesley said as he walked over to Gavin and knelt on the floor so he could see his face. "Thank you, brother. You risked your life to save mine. I owe you more than a royal pardon," he said as he clasped their right hands together. That symbolized royal brotherhood among the high elves.

"You better be worth it," Gavin whispered with a bloody grin.

Wesley laughed before he stood and thanked Thistle and Tom. Then he left with Astrum to find Ellora.

"Royal beanpoles are so dramatic," Gavin sighed, followed by another cough.

"Gavin, you have no idea how significant Wesley's gesture was, do you?" Tom asked.

"Uh... not really," he said, followed by another bloody cough.

Thistle grimaced at the blood dripping down his chin. Tom quickly handed her a damp cloth to clean him up with.

"A high elf prince just knelt before a human and grasped his hand, symbolizing royal brotherhood. That act was treason. If the king saw that, he would have had a stroke."

"Really? I wish the king could have seen that then," he chuckled, causing another fit of coughing.

"Please stop talking, Gavin," Thistle growled as she held the cloth over his mouth.

"Astrum was right," Tom sighed. "That mouth gets you into all kinds of trouble, doesn't it?"

Gavin thought for a second and nodded. If he wasn't running headfirst into trouble, his mouth usually got him there.

Stranger in the Woods

The ceremony for the royal pardon of Gavin, Thistle, and Plinkon was short, private, and happened without King Fumarus's knowledge. Gavin was still recovering from his punctured lung and couldn't help prepare for the journey to Mauve Pearl Village. He hated being bedridden when an exciting adventure loomed in the future, but Tom ordered him to rest as much as possible.

Astrum managed to recover Gavin's favorite sword and dagger. They had been confiscated when he was captured. He was thrilled to have them back. Ellora gifted them a small wagon and two horses for their journey. Plinkon would drive the wagon while Gavin and Thistle rode in the back. Wesley and Astrum would be dressed in common elf attire as they accompanied Plinkon's wagon on their own horses. On the morning of their departure from Carus, Ellora and Nora were both in tears as they kissed their precious babies farewell.

Nora was taking it extra hard. She never imagined Thistle would leave her. Ellora decided she would have to bring Nora out of the slave quarters and make her a revered palace slave. She deserved it after her dedicated care of Thistle. Nora would be put to work looking after all the high elf toddlers that belonged to the many noblewomen that visited the palace. That was far more perilous than wrestling razorbacks.

Gavin was grumpy as they set out on the western road that led straight to Mauve Pearl Village. He was tucked away on a comfy stack of blankets in the back of the covered wagon. Astrum and Wesley were following along on horseback. Gavin frowned at the number of weapons Astrum was wearing. He still looked like a royal sentry with his arrow-packed quiver and the distinctive sentry short swords crisscrossed on his back. Thistle was beaming with excitement as she sat next to Plinkon in the driver's seat, enjoying the feel of the open road for the first time. The sky was clear and blue above them as they traveled through the verdant woodlands of the Midlands. Thistle often gazed at the hardwood forest from the roof of the slaughterhouse, wishing she could see it up close.

"This is exciting and terrifying at the same time. I love it," she giggled as she hugged Plinkon's arm. She had never seen so many beautiful oaks, maples, birches, and linden trees so close together. She wanted to climb all of them.

"It's a joy seeing ya so happy, Thistle. Freedom truly is a wonderful thing. Thank ya and Gavin for helping me achieve it again," he called as he looked into the wagon to check on their precious cargo.

"No problem," Gavin called back as he gave the dwarf a tired wave. He sounded gloomy.

"Poor boy, go give him some attention, squirt," Plinkon whispered as he nudged Thistle with his elbow.

"Sure thing," she chuckled as she carefully climbed into the wagon and sat down next to Gavin.

His dark hair was hanging in tangled strands around his big hazel eyes. Thistle thought he looked more handsome when he was tired. She could tell he was in pain from the constant bumps in the road, but he would never admit it.

"How are you feeling?" she asked as she reached over and ran her fingers through his hair, trying to comb out some of the tangles.

"Better now that you're here," he whispered as he admired her bright gray eyes.

Thistle looked into the box at his elbow and noticed the untouched medicine Tom had sent with him.

"Gavin, you didn't take any of the whiskey Tom gave you. Drink it. It will help ease the pain."

"It knocks me out. I don't want to miss anything exciting."

"If you don't get some rest, you won't be fit to enjoy the festival with me. Drink it," she ordered as she opened the little bottle and held it to his lips. He quickly scrunched up his mouth and refused to take it. "You're worse than a toddler!" she huffed. "I know. How about a bribe? If you drink the whiskey, I'll massage your feet until you fall asleep. Deal?"

Gavin thought for a moment. Then he smiled and nodded. Thistle gave him his medicine and proceeded to rub his feet until he drifted off. Then she kissed him on the forehead and returned to her seat next to Plinkon.