Bastileborn - Dragon Fire Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"By the gods. I do remember you," Fumarus breathed in astonishment. "What brings the transcendent here unannounced?"

"There is a threat of war on your city. Daylith's armies march north as we speak."

"We are aware of Brimsly's army. Our scouts have been reporting on it for the last two days. Are you confirming his intent is to attack Carus?"

"I am. I have inside knowledge on the matter. He's been planning this for two years at least. We have just come from the Fire and Wine Festival, where we warned the humans and requested their aid. Duke Arum is preparing his armies to march south as we speak."

"Thank you, honorable dragon," Ellora began. "I'm assuming the threat is far worse than we first thought."

"It is in every way," Sidian said gravely. "Brimsly intends to conquer Carus. If he succeeds, he will turn his armies to Luria. No one is safe. We must do everything we can to stop him."

"I understand, Sidian. Thank you for your warning," Fumarus began. "If I remember correctly, dragons are not allowed to assist other mortal races in battle. You're also forbidden by the High Father to bring harm to royalty. Is that true?"

"That is true. We are limited in how we can help. We can protect and heal, but we cannot aggressively attack unless we're defending ourselves."

"Does that apply to Lacia?" Ragos asked out of the blue. His brow was furrowed in thought for once.

"Ragos!" Sidian snapped rather viciously as he turned to look at him. "Bad timing," he growled through his teeth.

"Oh... right. Sorry," he mumbled in embarrassment.

"What about Lacia?" Fumarus asked in surprise. "Is there something different about your fiancee that changes the laws?" he asked as he turned his heavy gaze on her.

"It's nothing, really," Sidian said dismissively. "Forgive my outburst, your highness. My brother has been getting on my last nerve for a century."

"It didn't sound like nothing. If we are to be friends, Sidian, I insist you disclose any dangerous secrets to me now," Fumarus ordered.

A shudder of rage ran through Sidian's body as he stared at Fumarus. He knew the elf king was extremely racist and hated half-bloods. Ragos had allowed the king to discover Sidian's weakness in a matter of seconds.

"Fine," Sidian almost growled. "Lacia is the future queen of the dragons. If any harm comes to her because of you, I will break all the high laws and rip you and my brother apart," he growled as blue fire ignited in his eyes, causing Fumarus to step back in alarm.

"Sidian, calm down!" Lacia snapped in disbelief. She was astonished by his sudden onset of rage, but she knew it was because of her. "Don't let your temper get the best of you because of me. Just tell him what I am. It will be fine," she whispered as she searched his eyes.

Sidian gulped and composed himself before he looked at the elf king again.

"Lacia is a half-dragon. She is King Faddon's daughter, but her mother is Queen Tolimire of West Luria."

The king and queen both gasped at that revelation. Ellora looked at Lacia with pity on her beautiful face. Her heart immediately went out to her, knowing how much Lacia had in common with her own precious daughter. Fumarus, on the other hand, had a look of revulsion on his face as he gazed at Lacia. In spite of her beauty, knowing she was a mixed-blood child disgusted him. He pitied Faddon and Tolimire for being bound to Lacia by blood.

Wesley, Sidian, and Ragos were watching Fumarus's expression with growing anxiety. Ragos groaned internally when he realized how badly he messed up by opening his stupid mouth about Lacia. They had obviously just lost the king's favor.

"I'm saddened to hear of these treasonous things," Fumarus began as he looked at Sidian very seriously. "I thank you for warning us about Brimsly's intentions, but I must ask you to leave the palace. I will not harbor a potential usurper of the dragon king. I especially will not harbor a mix-blood child. If you want to stay in the village, you are welcome to do so, but I shall personally distance myself from you. I do not want Faddon as an enemy. Your race is forbidden to kill royalty and engage in war, but that doesn't stop you from killing our people or destroying our cities out of spite."

"Don't be like that, father!" Wesley snapped. "These people are my friends. They protected me and all the human royalty of Luria when assassins invaded the royal banquet. I owe them my life, and you cannot dismiss that so easily. They are refugees, if anything. Brimsly and Faddon have allied themselves against us. If you seek to keep Faddon's favor, then you're approving of Brimsly's attack on our city!" he yelled.

Ellora pulled at Wesley's arm in warning, but he quickly snatched it away.

"Don't, mother, I'm not a child anymore. I see where this country is heading, and I will not stand by and let it happen. These are my honored friends, and you will treat them as such, or by the GODS, I will fly with them to Talfane this very night and side with Duke Arum in this war. I will not stay here and watch my own father bow to the monster from Daylith," he warned as he backed away from his parents and stood next to Sidian.

The entire yard was holding their breath after Wesley's angry declaration. Most of the sentries had lowered their bows as they watched in complete astonishment at what was taking place in front of them. Ragos was even more astonished as he stared at Wesley in bewilderment. The young elf prince had just sided with ancient enemies over his own father. Lacia nervously took Sidian's hand. Her heart was pounding, knowing how much discord her existence created.

"What has happened to cause so much disrespect for your king and father?" Fumarus demanded.

"I told you. They are my friends, and they saved my life. I owe them. I will not treat them as enemies. Allow them to stay here under Carus's protection for a few days. That's all I want."

Fumarus took a deep breath as he looked at all the witnesses of his son's declaration.

"Very well. I see you are passionate about this. I shall accommodate your request for three nights. I cannot promise their safety after that. I fear we will be under siege from Daylith by that point. Come, we must prepare for war," he announced before he turned and marched back into the palace.

Ellora stayed behind with Wesley, staring after Fumarus with a heartbroken look on her face. She quickly collected herself before she turned and smiled at their spectacular guests.

"By the gods... I haven't seen this many dragons in over nineteen years," she said as she looked at each of them in admiration. Her gaze lingered the longest on Lacia.

Lacia watched the queen as tears began to stream down her face. Then she quickly stepped forward and embraced Lacia like a daughter.

"I am so sorry for how my husband acted towards you," she whispered against her ear. "You are the most beautiful creature I have ever seen. Your wings are enchanting," she said as she drew away from her and quickly wiped tears from her eyes.

"Thank you, Queen Ellora. I want you to know that Thistle is rather enchanting as well," she whispered with a smile.

"Thank you. I'm glad you met her," she whispered. "Come, all of you, let's gather in a more comfortable place. I'm sure you're hungry and tired after your flight."

Ellora led them into the palace and through many white and gold hallways. Lacia was impressed by the sheer amount of gold used in decorating the interior walls and floors. Almost every bit of white marble was inlaid with sweeping vines of gold. The opulence didn't feel inviting like human palaces. It felt decorative and superior. It reflected the mindset of most high elves. They were not a warm and caring race. They were a race steeped in arrogance, racial pride, and cold tradition. Lacia was glad she didn't feel that from Ellora and Wesley.

The elf queen led them to a comfortable suite that overlooked her personal rose garden. Food and drinks were brought in on heavy silver trays. The group sat together on a collection of lush white and gold sofas to discuss their adventures.

"Will father be joining us?" Wesley asked as he looked at his mother.

"Not after that scene in the yard," she said, shaking her head.

"His stupid pride will be the end of us all," Wesley grumbled in disappointment. "He should be in here helping us plan our defense."

"Give him time. I'm impressed he's so calm after what happened. It worries me, to be honest."

"What do you mean?" Sidian asked as he looked at the beautiful queen. She very much reminded him of Thistle with her dark hair and small chin.

"He's been more quiet than usual after returning from Silver Crest Village. I told him I allowed Wesley to visit Mauve Pearl Village for the festival, and he rolled his eyes at me. He's usually not so rude towards me, but he has complained over the years that I'm not instilling proper values into Wesley. Wesley just made that painfully obvious."

"I'm sorry on your behalf, mother, but I'm not sorry for what I said."

"I understand. I'm proud of you for standing up to him."

Wesley laughed as he sat down next to his mother and wrapped his arm around her. It was a very human gesture. His time with Gavin and Thistle had made him a warmer person.

"I'm glad someone is proud of me," Wesley said and kissed her cheek.

"If it counts for anything, I'm pretty damn proud of you too," Ragos said with his mouth full of cucumber sandwiches.

"It doesn't count," Sidian growled in his direction.

"Sidian," Lacia sighed as she touched his arm, causing him to look at her in concern. "I'm not angry at Ragos, and I don't want you to be either. He didn't do anything wrong. He just helped reveal Fumarus's true colors."

"I know, little flame, but it's hard for me not to be angry at Ragos."

Lacia smiled and glanced at Ragos to see a rather depressed look on his face. She had never seen him look like that before. It flummoxed her for an instant.

"I am so sorry about my husband," Ellora sighed. "Wesley and I are on your side. Our love for Thistle has split our world in half. I'm relieved we got her out of the city when we did."

"Speaking of Thistle," Sidian began as he straightened up and looked at Ellora. "Is this room secure? I need to speak of something dangerous," he whispered.

"Of course. Wesley, check the door and dismiss any waiting servants," she ordered.

Wesley did as his mother said. He and Ragos went about the entire room, checking windows, cracks, and walls for potential eavesdroppers. When they were satisfied they were safe, they returned to their seats to listen.

"As we were flying in earlier," Sidian began, "we noticed a black convoy heading north on the eastern road. It was full of soldiers and supplies of some kind. At first glance, I assumed it was from Daylith, intending to cause mischief in Talfane. As we passed over the southern fields, I was able to see the Daylith wagons. They looked different than the one on the eastern road. Is there any chance Fumarus sent those wagons north?"

Ellora and Wesley looked at each other in concern after that question.

"I'm ashamed to admit he might do something like that, but it doesn't make any sense. Why would he be sending a wagon full of soldiers north disguised in Daylith colors?" Ellora asked in confusion.

"I have a rather depressing theory on that," Sidian sighed.

"What do you mean?" Wesley demanded.

"Please forgive me for what I'm about to imply. Has Fumarus been in recent contact with Daylith?"

Ellora's brow furrowed as she looked out the window in thought for a moment.

"Well, he did just travel south for two weeks, claiming he went to Silver Crest Village to christen a new fleet ship. I have no proof that he actually went there," she said nervously.

"Sidian, we're all friends here. Please explain what you're thinking," Wesley pleaded.

"My first impulse is to assume the convoy is going north to find Thistle. She, Gavin, Plinkon, and Astrum are heading into the Blue Delph Forest to find a delphian star gem to keep Gavin's hand from rotting off. If Fumarus knows where Thistle and Gavin are going, then he is consorting with Brimsly and Faddon. Dragon assassins were in Mauve Pearl Village. I assumed they were looking for Lacia and me, but now that I think about it, they may have been looking for Thistle as well."

"No!" Ellora gasped, shaking her head in disbelief. "He wouldn't betray his entire race just to have Thistle killed. Would he?"

"I don't think it's that simple," Sidian continued. "Brimsly may have offered Fumarus some kind of deal to spare the city. This attack could be a ruse to confuse Luria, or Brimsly is simply playing Fumarus for a fool. The king didn't seem very surprised when I told him Brimsly's true intent. That troubles me," he explained as he looked between Ellora and Wesley. "You two know Fumarus better than anyone. Would he betray Luria for Brimsly?"

Ellora gulped and nodded in shame as she looked at Wesley's stricken eyes. Sidian let out a disheartened sigh.

"I refuse to believe that so easily," Wesley said, shaking his head. "Father can be a stubborn, arrogant ass at times, but a traitor?" he whispered with a hitch in his voice.

"Wesley, darling," Ellora began. "I've seen your father's darker side over the years. He knows we're outnumbered by Brimsly and Luria. He may have chosen to ally himself with a like-minded enemy. He's not like Gregory or Duke Arum. He doesn't make honorable decisions. He makes practical decisions. If Brimsly offered him a better deal, he probably took it."

The elf prince looked green in the face after his mother's explanation. His heart had changed in the short time he spent traveling with Gavin and Thistle. He adored the human way of life better than his own race at that point.

"I need to speak with father," Wesley said as he straightened up and organized his expression.

"Wesley," Sidian announced, pulling his eyes to him. "Promise me you will not raise your father's suspicions of what I just told you. Our lives depend on it. I fear he already considers us captives instead of guests."

"I completely understand. You can trust me," he said with a bow to Sidian before he left the room.

Wesley felt sick and angry as he marched to his father's personal parlor. He announced his own entry as he met his father's angry eyes from across the room. Fumarus was discussing strategy and ordering troop assignments along the city walls.

"What do you want, son? If you're here to quarrel more, I don't have the time for it. We're on the brink of war," he announced in a condescending tone.

"Sorry to interrupt, father. I came to apologize for my rude and disrespectful passion towards you earlier," he said with his eyes cast down in shame.

Fumarus sighed and motioned for his war advisors to leave the room.

"Speak your peace, son," he said in a kinder tone as he walked over to the window to watch his troops. Hundreds of them were gathering in the main courtyard.

"I'm sorry for how I acted, father. When I saw the Daylith troops in the southern valley earlier, it scared me. The dragons really are my friends, and they want to help us, but I understand why you don't like them. I'm sorry if I shamed you," he said as he walked over and stood next to the elf king.

Fumarus had his long dark hair pulled back in a war braid. It was a hairstyle distinctive of the high elves. They braided it and tucked it into their armor in war times.

"I understand your passion and fear, son. I was young and naive once myself. Creatures of other races can never truly be trusted friends. Everyone looks out for their own best interest. Like when that dragon threatened us for the sake of that mixed-blood princess. I'm astonished Faddon allowed something like that to happen," he said, shaking his head in disgust.

Wesley was struggling to keep his emotions under control after that lecture. He was certain his father would have killed Thistle if the opportunity presented itself.

"I understand, father. I hope my idiocy hasn't endangered us more."

"It will be fine, Wesley. I would also like to speak with the black dragon alone if he is willing to give me an audience. I fear I made an enemy of him in the yard earlier."

"He is very reasonable most of the time. I'll bring him to you if you would like."

"I would like that. I would also like to thank you, son, for being reasonable in these trying times."

"Of course, father," he said with a bow before he hurried from the room.

Sidian and Lacia stood when Wesley burst back into the sitting room with a look of rage on his face. He slammed the door behind him and leaned against it, trying to calm himself down.

"What happened?" Ellora demanded.

"He repeated the same hateful shit he said in the yard. I'm terrified for Thistle now. He's sympathizing with Faddon about Lacia. What if he really is consorting with Daylith? What if he really knows where Thistle is going?" he said as he looked at Sidian.

"We still have time to act. What else did he say about us?"

"He wants to talk with you. Maybe you can get more answers out of him. I told him I would bring you to him."

"Very well. Give me a moment," he said as he turned to Lacia. "I need to do this alone. Stay close to Ragos, Ellora, and Wesley until I return."

Lacia gulped and nodded. She hadn't been away from Sidian's side in weeks. The simple thought of him not being close made her anxious.

"Ragos," Sidian said as he met his brother's eyes. "I'm trusting you to protect Lacia while I'm with the king. Can I count on you?"

"You may not believe it, but yes. I will protect her with my life."

"Thank you," he said with a nod before he gently kissed Lacia and left the room with Wesley.

Lacia sighed nervously as she sank down on the couch next to Ellora, feeling slightly naked without Sidian. Ragos watched her for a moment before he sighed and sat down next to her. Lacia looked at him thoughtfully as he gazed out the window. He still looked rather depressed.

"What's wrong, Ragos? You can talk to me about anything," she said with a smile as she picked up his hand and held it.

He raised a confused red eyebrow at her for a moment. Then he rolled his eyes and sighed in defeat.

"I don't deserve your kindness, Lacia."

"That's not how kindness works, dummy. You don't have to deserve it to get it."

He smirked at her comment. She was the only person capable of making him smile when he wasn't being an ass. He already thought of her as family, and that realization depressed him more.

"By the gods, Lacia... I am so unbelievably sorry for opening my big stupid mouth about you earlier. I put us all in danger without even thinking," he whispered.

"I'm not mad at you. I promise."

"I wish you were. Sidian is mad at me."

"Sidian is always mad at you, so that doesn't count."

He sighed and looked at her bright gray eyes for a moment. She smiled at him thoughtfully, proving her sincerity even more.

"Lacia, is there something I can do to make it up to you? That would help me feel less shitty."

"Hmm, do you know defensive magic? Is there something I can learn to help protect myself if we're attacked by assassins again?"

"Yes, let me think. Um... white dragon magic is weird when it comes to defense," he mumbled as he scratched his chin. It had been a very long time since he studied any form of dragon magic. "I know you can mold and strengthen metals. I remember a story my dad told me about a white dragon. He infused his battle armor with magic to make it indestructible for a short burst of time. You can try to do something like that if you like."

"Anything would be great!" she said excitedly.

"Alright, Ellora, can we destroy this tea set? I want Lacia to practice molding and infusing the silver."

"Uh, sure. Go right ahead," she said as she quickly removed the last of the snacks from the tray before handing it to Lacia.