Beastly Roommates Ch. 02: His Family

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That's probably smart. But for now dinner's almost ready, though I think you've got time to get cleaned up first."

"Sounds good."

I took a quick shower, and changed into a pair of sweat pants and a T-shirt. By the time I was done Ruth was just putting a couple bowls of soup on the table. I kissed her cheek before we sat down, and after blowing on a spoonful I took a bite.

"Hey, this is good!" I complimented. Ruth's eyes lit up.

"Thank you!" She took a bit of her own. "I'm very glad you think so." She took another bite and held it in her mouth for a moment. "It seems like it's missing something..." I took another bite.

"I think adding a little more cheese would go a long way." Ruth's eyes lit up.

"Yes, that would be good!" She exclaimed.

"And now you know for next time," I said and we grinned at each other. "Finding a recipe and making it your own is all part of cooking." I took another bite and smiled again. "I'll tell you what though, for a first try this is amazing!" Ruth beamed with pride.

We must have both been hungry because we ate quietly for the rest of the meal. Afterwards, I cleaned up, completing the role reversal of our typical evening routine. Once the leftover soup was put away and the dishes were done I joined Ruth in the front room. She was in her chair and had just started another crochet project. It had been a while since I'd seen her working on anything so I was happy to see her pursuing her hobby. I kissed her forehead then flopped onto the couch. Ruth put down her yarn and followed.

"Alright, wish me luck." She took my hand in hers and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"Good luck." A moment later I pulled up my my mom's contact info. I had a rock in my stomach and I took a deep breath before hitting send. It rang twice before she answered.

"Hi, David. What's going on?"

"Not too much. How about you?" I was stalling and I knew it.

"Oh, just cleaning up dinner, then there's some war documentary that your father wanted to watch."

"Oh, sounds fun..." I said dryly.

"It's not all bad. He agreed to watch a nature show after."

"Ok, that's bit more fair." I said with a chuckle.

"So, what'cha calling about?" It seemed like my stalling was over.

"It's about Thanksgiving."

"Uh oh, you're not thinking of bailing, are you?"

"And miss out on your famous turkey dinner? Absolutely not!" I snorted. I took a deep breath before continuing slowly. "It's just that there's... someone I want to bring." I heard Mom let out a little gasp.

"Do you mean someone... special?" My mom asked softly.

"... Yes..." Mom was quiet for a moment, but then I heard a quiet sob on the other line.

"That's wonderful. Who is she?" She asked with a shaky voice.

"She's kinda quiet, but very sweet. She's also smart and likes to crochet."

"She sounds lovely," my mom whispered and I heard her sniffling. "How did you meet?" I looked over into Ruth's pretty brown eyes.

"Honestly, we first happened to met in a bar. A little while after that we ran into each other again and started spending a lot of time together."

"Oh, David. I'm so very happy for you." Mom sniffed again. "What's her name?" My heart started pounding in my ears and I gulped. Ruth must have been able to hear my mom because she squeezed my hand again and smiled at me.

"It's... Ruth. My roommate." There was silence on the other line and as the seconds ticked by I held my breath while my anxiety grew.

"I'm looking forward to meeting her then," my mom said at long last. I let out my breath, but I didn't feel like I was out of the woods yet.

"Just so we're clear, Ruth is a minotaur..."

"Does she make you happy?" Mom asked without missing a beat.

"Very much so."

"Then so what!" She exclaimed. It sounded like she was getting excited. "I'm just happy for you, and anyone who has a problem with the two of you being together can go suck a lemon!"

"Alright then!" I said with laugh, feeling relieved to the point of giddiness. Ruth gave my hand another squeeze and smiled brightly.

"Now I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving!" My face suddenly fell as a sobering thought crossed my mind.

"What about Dad? We both know that he can be a bit hard-headed on some things."

"I will deal with your father... though I'm out shopping with your sister and I think it would be better for you to talk to her." I groaned.

"Yeah, fair enough. Could you put her on? I'd rather just get it over with." I could hear the phone changing hands.

"David?" Jill didn't sound very pleased.

"Hey..." I greeted weakly.

"You're in trouble. You know that, right?"

"How much trouble?"

"I guess that depends. How long has this been going on?" Jill was keeping her voice low, but I knew that was only because she was in public.

"A couple months." There was a choking sound over the phone. "I was gonna tell you..."

"Then why didn't you?" She hissed.

"I guess I was worried about what you'd think..."

"David, I've always had your back, and you know it," she snapped. "You and me, thick and thin, since we were kids! If shacking up with your roommate makes you happy, then I'm all for it minotaur or not!" I could hear her take a breath to calm herself. "I'm just hurt that you didn't trust me enough to keep me in the loop as it was happening, and that I ended up finding out by overhearing your conversation with mom," she added quietly.

"I'm sorry..." I murmured weakly and Jill sighed.

"She does make you happy though, right?"

"More than I can remember ever being," I replied quietly.

"I'm glad to hear that, but no more secrets, alright?"

"Alright." I heard her sigh.

"I really am happy for you though, but you're still in trouble."

"Fair enough."

"I'll talk to you later. We've got some shopping to get back to!"

"Alright." I was about to go into how serious things were, but decided against it, figuring that would be better left for when Mom wasn't around. "Later." With that she hung up and I breathed a sigh of relief. I was about to turn toward Ruth, but she pulled me backwards into her, cuddling me, and I gladly nestled into her side.

"I couldn't make out all of that, but sounded rough. I'm sorry," she soothed, kissing the top of my head. I adjusted so I could tilt my head to look up at her.

"A little bit, but you know what, that's ok. She's good with us, and so is my mom. Jill was just upset that I didn't keep her in the loop as we were getting started." Ruth beamed down at me.

"I'm very glad that your family is being supportive."

"Yeah, me too." I ran my hand up the side of her face and she nuzzled into my palm. For the next few minutes we just sat there cuddled together, but eventually I remembered something I'd talked about with Tom.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course," answered Ruth while I sat up and faced her.

"Would it be ok if I went with you to Serafina's sometime?" It took a moment for her to answer.

"Yes, but only if we plan on being discreet about our relationship until you're a little more familiar there. I'm not sure I'm ready for the whole crowd to know about us."

"I see... maybe I just shouldn't go then."

"No. I don't want to keep what we have secret forever, but I also think revealing everything too abruptly is also a bad idea. However, I go with Sara often enough that being seen with a human wouldn't be unusual."

"Alright, That makes sense. How about next Friday?"

"That believe that should work." Ruth glanced over at her yarn. "Would you mind if I continued with my scarf?"

"Of course not," I replied with a smile. I kissed her briefly before she went back over to her chair. After she picked up her hook and yarn, I picked up a game controller and resumed my fight against an evil corporate CEO on a wasteland of a planet.

Chapter 6

Friday ended up coming quickly and I was starting to get nervous. I'd talked to Sara earlier and she insisted that everything was going to be fine, but I couldn't help it. I was also getting hungry, which wasn't helping. All of that was compounded by the increasingly familiar, but still frustrating heartbreak I felt from being away from my mate, but at least that would only last until David got home, so when he finally pulled up I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

"Hi, sweetheart," he greeted as he walked through the door. I rushed over and immediately engulfed him in a big hug. "Hey!" He exclaimed with a chuckle. "I missed you too."

"I just kinda nervous about tonight, that's all." David ran his hands under the back of my shirt and his fingers through my fur. It felt nice and helped me relax a little bit. I pulled away and he smiled up at me.

"It's gonna be just fine. I think the worst part is going to be sitting across the table from you and not being able to hold hands!" I returned his smile, grateful he was able to put me at ease. "I should probably get cleaned up though." He glanced down at his pants, which had a fair bit of dirt on them. "Want to keep me company?" He asked with a wink and I grinned.

"Yes, I would!"

While in the shower, David brushed me down and it was lovely. With every stroke my anxiety melted away, bit by bit. In return I washed his back for him, and we otherwise got clean with only a little bit of fooling around. After that we got dressed and were ready to go.

"Still nervous?" Asked David once we'd left.

"A little," I answered. "But not as much as earlier."

"That's good," he said with a smile. "So, I probably should have already asked, but what sort of food does Serafina's have anyway?"

"All sorts" I replied with a chuckle. "I normally get a big tofu salad, and Sara normally gets their soup-of-the-day in a breadbowl."

"That sounds good."

"It is. Considering their diverse patronage, they have most kinds of food you could think of. I'm sure you'll find something you'll like."

"Yeah, you're probably right." He took my hand in his and started stroking the back of it with his thumb.

Before long we'd arrived and when we got out of the truck my anxiety returned in full force. I started reaching for David's hand for support, but stopped myself. Instead, I took a deep breath.

"You ok?" Asked David.

"I will be. Let's go."

We entered and Serafina slithered up. She eyed David for a moment.

"Welcome, jussst the two of you?" She asked."

"Yes," I answered.

"Very good." She glanced between David and I, and a hint of a smirk came to her face. For a moment I was worried that she knew about our relationship, but quickly remembered that she had a similar relationship and even if she did know, she wasn't likely to be judgmental over it. "What would you like to drink?" David glanced at me, offering to let me go first.

"I'll have a water."

"Do you have Dr. Pepper?" Asked David.

"Yesss, we do. I'll be right back with those."

She left and David peered over my shoulder.

"Hey, wait a second, I think that's Raylund!" He exclaimed. I turned and saw a grey lupine couple a few tables over. David waved and they waved back. "I haven't seen him since the move. Mind if I go say hi?"

"Of course not." I leaned in so I could talk more quietly. "I don't mind if they know, but I don't think this is the place for that conversation." David nodded in agreement, then got up and headed over to his old neighbors. He received a few strange looks on the way, but when him and Raylund greeted each other cheerfully everyone went back to their own business.

A minute later Serafina slithered up with our drinks. After setting them down she looked at David, smirking again before turning back to me.

"I hear we have a mutual friend," she said quietly.

"Julie?" I guessed, figuring that's who she meant.

"Indeed," confirmed Serafina with a smile. "And it also ssseems that we have sssomething else in common too." I glanced at David again and smiled.

"I've heard that seem to be the case."

"If you wish, you are welcome to ssstay for a little chat after we close." She leaned in close again. "You can meet Van. We share the apartment above the diner," she added quietly.

"I would like that. I'll see what David thinks, but neither of us need to get up early tomorrow." Serafina chuckled.

"I'll need to get to sleep before you anyway. Owning a restaurant can be very demanding."

"I'll bet."

"Anyway, Alice will be here to take your order soon, but I've got to get back to work." She turned and left just as David was making his way back.

"How is Raylund and his mate?" I asked after he sat down.

"He's doing ok. I guess the couple that moved into my old place aren't very friendly, but they at least keep to themselves."

"I see."

"Yeah. I suggested that we should get together sometime." I couldn't help thumping my tail nervously at the thought of spending much time with a couple of apex predators. "You ok?" He asked noticing my unease.

"I have a sort of... primal fear of predators... like Raylund..." I muttered and David's eyes shot open.

"Oh, I didn't even know that was a thing! I'm so sorry," apologized David quickly. "If I'd have known, I wouldn't have even suggested it!" His concern made me feel a bit better,

"It's ok," I reassured, trying to speak soothingly to calm him down. "Raylund seemed very nice when you were moving in. Besides, I would like to be there if you tell him the news." David perked up a bit.

"You sure?" He asked and while I was still a little nervous, I nodded with a smile. "Alright, sounds good!"

"It seems that Julie has already spoken with Serafina," I said, changing the subject.

"Wow, that was fast." He said with a laugh.

"Indeed. We've been invited the stay for after closing, if you don't mind."

"That sounds like it could be interesting. I'm game!"

I looked over toward Serafina and waited for her to look back. After a few seconds I caught her eye and when I nodded she grinned. She directed Alice, who happened to also be working, to our table. She made her way over, legs clicking on the floor as she did so, and a little smirk came to her face when she got closer. My heart started pounding as I couldn't help wondering if she knew about us as well.

"I apologize for the wait. Are we ready to order?" She greeted politely

"Umm..." muttered David as he frantically scanned the menu. Luckily he seemed to find something almost immediately and he grinned. "Yeah, I'm ready," he said before looking at me as if to let me go first. He always let me order first, but I still smiled at the sweet gesture.

"I'll have the usual tofu salad." Alice turned to David.

"And I'll have the salmon."

"Good choice!" She said with a grin. "I'll have those right out to you.

After Alice left we sat in awkward silence.

"I'm not really even sure what to talk about..." David said quietly after a minute.

"Yes, this is a little strange. I'm not used to being with you around people that would recognize us."

"Same here. We're gonna have get used to it sometime though."

"Agreed." I glanced around and it seemed like we weren't attracting much attention. "You've said that you're concerned about your father's reaction to us. What exactly are you worried about?" I asked quietly. David nodded slowly and leaned in.

"While I don't think he'd have any problem with you personally, as a rule he tends to be a bit more... traditional, to put it nicely."

"Oh, I see," I replied with a sigh.

"Try not to worry too much about it. I think he'll come around eventually."

"What makes you think that?" A tender smile sprouted on David's face.

"Because I did." My shoulders slumped as I melted. I almost reached out and took his hand, but remembering where we were I refrained. However, I was willing to risk brushing my leg against his affectionately and his grin grew even wider. His face straightened after a moment as he glanced over my shoulder. I looked too and Alice was coming up with our meals. She was also smirking like she was earlier.

"Here's your salad," she said cheerfully as she put down my dinner, then David's, "and here's your salmon." She then leaned in closer. "It's a good thing no one is bothering to look because you two are pretty obvious," she said quietly. My heart started to race as David and I exchanged worried glances, then looked back at Alice.

"What do you mean by that?" Asked David.

"You know what I mean," she added with a low chuckle as she left.

"Well, she clearly knows." I mumbled.

"Yeah, but she also seems to be willing to keep it to herself.

"I suppose that's true."

After Alice calling us out we ended up eating without much further conversation. We took out time to try to make the meal last until closing and even ordered dessert. Eventually though it was time and the rest of the patronage trickled out, leaving just David and I. Alice turned off the 'open' sign while Serafina shut the blinds.

"I can get the rest. You go on and entertain your guests," Alice told Serafina.

"Thank you, Alice," the lamia replied with a smile before turning to us. "Follow me." She slithered to a door near the back of the restaurant. She opened it to reveal a short hallway attached to a narrow staircase and another door.

"The door leads to the back entrance," explained Serafina.

"Oh, that's handy," replied David. I watched in fascination as Serafina pushed her way up the steps in a sort of sideways, rippling, zig-zag motion. Once she'd reached the top, we followed with David letting me go first, like he always did.

Immediately after passing through the door Serafina's upper body fell down to the floor and she groaned.

"Are you ok?" I asked quickly as David and I rushed to help.

"I'm fine," she replied with a chuckle. "It's just tiring staying and moving upright for that long." Her body twisted so she was looking up at us. "I'm much more comfortable down here." Relieved that she wasn't hurt, I glanced around and the most most of the furnishings seemed to cater to Serafina's preferred posture. However, the presence of a coatrack and 'normal' sized desk Indicated someone else's presence.

As I noticed, a somewhat short young man who appeared to be in his mid twenties came into the room.

"Mmm. Hello, my pet." Serafina cooed as she slithered over and and around the man a couple times, loosely coiling around him to end up draping her arms over his shoulders from behind.

"Hello, darling," the man replied, smiling as Serafina planted a kiss on his cheek. "I take it you two are the guests my mate spoke of."

"I suppose so," answered David with a smile. He walked forward and shook the man's hand. "I'm David, and this," he gestured toward me, "is Ruth." David regarded the shorter man curiously for a moment, then his eyes shot open in recognition. "Wait a second, didn't you sell me a pair of work boots a couple months back?"

"I think you're right!" He grinned widely. "How are they holding up?"

"They were a nightmare to break in, but they're great now!"

"Glad to hear it! I'm Van."

"I mussst say that it'ss rather nice that you two have already met!" Chimed in Serafina.

"Please, make yourselves at home!" Van gestured to a couch and David and I sat down. Serafina uncoiled herself and made her way to a large, thick cushion with a sort of backrest that was on the ground

"Can I offer you two something to drink?" Asked Van. "Water, soda, I've got some beers in the fridge?" He offered.

"I'll have one of those beers if you don't mind," answered David.

"I'll just have some water."

"You got it!" He left for a moment, but returned quickly with our drinks, as well as a couple for him and his mate. I was impressed at his ability to handle all of them at once!. "Here you go!"

Van handed what looked like a glass of red wine to Serafina and sat down on the cushion next to her. I watched in fascination as parts of her snake-like lower body tangled around his legs. I would have found being wrapped up like that to be rather unsettling, but Van seemed to enjoy it and he absently traced out some of the patterns on Serafina's scales. David touched my arm, snapping me out of my thoughts.

123456...9