Beastly Roommates

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Greetingsss, Ruth," welcomed Serafina, the owner, who was working as a hostess at the moment.

"Hello," I greeted in return. She was a fair skinned lamia with red scales and eyes. While I wouldn't have considered us friends, we did have a friendly rapport.

"Jussst you? Or will there be more?"

"Sara's coming too." She smiled.

"Very good. Right thisss way," she slithered off and I followed her to my usual booth, being careful not to step on her long tail.

I had just put in the order for a water when Sara walked through the door. She noticed me and came over quickly. Serafina also noticed that she had arrived and brought a cushioned booster for her to sit on since the booth was sized for larger bipedal species, like myself.

"So, how do you feel?" Asked Sara, after she'd situated and cracked open the menu.

"I feel like my stomachs are all knotted up," I replied honestly.

"Ah, don't worry about it. You'll be fine!," she reassured. "Besides, if they end up being a jerk, all the paperwork is in your name so you can just give em' the boot!"

"That's true."

The waitress, an arachne named Alice, skittered up to the table. Sara kept a straight face, but I knew she was a little bit uncomfortable. To be fair, I didn't blame her. I found the most of many-legged species to be a little unsettling myself. The extra eyes embedded like black marbles in her forehead didn't help either. She wore a large black skirt that hid her thorax and abdomen, but the movement of her legs could be seen underneath it. Even so, she had waited on us before and was very good at her job, and both Sara and I did our best to keep our eyes on her face, specifically her two main eyes!

"Hello, you two. I hope you're doing well this morning," she chirped cheerfully, either ignoring or not noticing Sara's unease. "Can I get you something to drink?" She asked.

"I'll have a Diet Coke."

"Just the water is good for me," I replied.

"And are we ready to order? Or do you need a minute?" I knew what I wanted, but I looked to Sara, who's eyes were frantically pouring over the specials menu, but within a couple seconds she looked up triumphantly.

"I'll have the broccoli and cheese soup-in-a-bread bowl," she announced.

"And I'll have a large tofu salad with vinaigrette dressing, please."

"Very good, I'll have those for you in a few minutes." Alice replied with a smile. When she left ends of her legs clicked on the floor as she moved. Sara shuddered ever so slightly, but made no comment. She collected herself and turned back to me.

"Anyway, back to what I was saying, you'll be fine!" She reiterated. I was about to reply, but my phone started ringing. "Hey, maybe that's someone asking about the ad already!" I pulled out my phone and groaned when I didn't recognize the number. I answered it anyway.

"Hello?"

"Hello, is this Ruth?" A masculine voice asked.

"Yes, it is. May I ask who's calling?"

"My name's David Durran. I'm... umm... calling about your ad for a roommate?" My blood went cold. I hadn't expected a male to call. "I guess I'm, uh, kinda interested in looking at the place and meeting... if that alright." I held the phone away from my face and took a couple deep breaths. "Ruth?" The voice called out when I hadn't answered. I put the phone back to my ear.

"Yes, that would be fine."

"Great! Umm, does this Saturday work?"

"Unfortunately it doesn't. Friday evening would be acceptable though."

"Alright, that works for me," he replied. "How about six?"

"Six o'clock works for me."

"Great!" He exclaimed. "I'll see you then!"

"I look forward to meeting you," I lied, just before hanging up.

"So, Friday huh?" Asked Sara.

"Yes... it's a male..." her face scrunched.

"That might get awkward..."

"I know. I need someone to split bills with though..." I sighed. "I wish you hadn't just moved in with John because it would be much easier if you could just move in with me instead." She laughed.

"That would've been fun!"

"Speaking of moving, how are things between you and John?" I asked.

"So far things are going great!"

Just then Alice came back with our meals. She balanced the serving tray on her palps while she put our dishes in front of us.

"Is there anything else I can get for you?" She asked.

"No, that's it for now," Sara answered, only a little too quickly.

"Alright, just let me know if something comes up." The arachne left with just a little bit of a knowing smirk while shaking her head subtly.

I took another deep breath and offered up a prayer to whomever might be listening that having a roommate wouldn't be a mistake...

Chapter Five

I was just about to leave work for the day when Tom popped into the trailer.

"Hey, you up for some cold ones after work again?" I shook my head.

"Nah, I'm meeting Ruth about being roommates this evening, remember."

"Oh yeah," he replied with a smirk. I rolled my eyes.

"I know what that look's for, and don't count on it!"

"Hey, you never know," he teased without losing his smirk. I groaned. "And if you refuse to make a move, send her my way!" I snorted.

"Goodbye," I deadpanned. "I've got to go get cleaned up."

"Good luck!" He encouraged with a wink. 'See you monday!" I shook my head while he walked out. A minute later I did the same and was headed home.

"Afternoon David," greeted Reylund, who was also just arriving.

"Hi," I responded as he was walking toward his door. "Hey!" I called out just before he got there. I started approaching and he did the same.

"I just wanted to let you know that I'm gonna be moving soon." His wolf-like face was hard to read, but even I could see the dismay in his eyes. "The landlady's selling the place, so I got the boot."

"I'm sorry to hear that," he replied with a sigh. "There were a lot of people that were very unhappy with us moving in, but you've always been kind to us. Thank you."

"You don't have to thank me for just having a sense of decency..." I rubbed the back of my neck.

"Maybe, but it still meant a lot of Lorie and I, and we're going to miss you." He extended his hand. With a grin I shook it. "Do you know where you're moving to?" He asked.

"Not yet, but I'm leaving to go look at an apartment right now. The rent's amazing for the size, but I'll have a roommate," I answered. "There's not much on the market right now..."

"At least you found something. Where is it?"

On the other side of town, not really that far from your job." He narrowed his eyes.

"... where exactly?" He asked slowly. I pulled the address up on my phone and showed the map to him. He groaned when he saw where I was indicating. "That's the centaur district."

"Oh..."

"They're a bit too proud if you ask me, but they're also honorable. You're a good person so you'll probably be ok, eventually."

"Eventually?" I asked.

"Just don't expect them to welcome you immediately with arms wide open, that's all."

"Great," I muttered, wondering what I was getting myself into.

"Well, I'd have a roommate. That might help smooth things over with the neighbors. Her name is Ruth." Raylund's head cocked to the side.

"That's odd..."

"What?"

"Female centaurs stay with their family until they're mated. That's all."

"Hmm. Might be a widow," I suggested.

"That would make sense."

"In any case, I've got to get moving."

"Good luck David. I wish you well." He went inside and I did the same.

I went to the kitchen and opened the fridge. Upon seeing the apple pie I'd prepped the day before I smirked! I did more cooking than baking, but I could hold my own with an oven too. More importantly, I hoped that the offering might help sweeten the deal, and I didn't think I would ever be able to live with a monster that didn't like freshly baked apple pie! I started the oven to get it preheated and went to take a quick shower in the meantime.

After getting cleaned up I made it back to the kitchen just as the oven made a *ding* sound, signaling it was ready. I put the uncooked pastry in, set a timer, and then flopped on the couch to take a nap before leaving. A groaned when a few minutes later my phone rang. Glancing at the display I saw it was my sister. With a sigh I answered.

"Hey, Jill," I greeted unenthusiastically.

"Hi, is something wrong?"

"Only if you count my bratty little sister interrupting my nap as 'something wrong!'"

"Oh, shut up!" She retorted. "And here I was just trying to be supportive!" We were both silent for a few seconds before we both broke out into a fit of giggles.

"Thanks for calling," I said, dropping the sullen act

"There's no way I wouldn't have called! You and me, thick and thin! You can't get rid of me just by moving halfway across the state!"

"Don't I know it!" I teased. Jill snorted.

"Speaking of moving, are you nervous about this evening? It's been a long time since you've had a roommate."

"Kinda."

"Maybe she'll be really pretty!" She teased right back.

"Raylund told me that the apartment's in centaur territory."

"Uhh..." she stammered, "maybe her top half will be really pretty..." I chuckled.

"We also think she's probably a widow!" A big laugh came through the phone.

"Well darn! Seems like you struck out!"

"Maybe, but it might be better this way. Mom won't be trying to convince me to get together with her!"

"Yeah, really! She's been bugging me more lately too!" If rolling eyes could be heard in a voice, it would have been deafening. "In any case, good luck, and let me know when you plan on moving and I'll swing by and give you a hand."

"Thanks, Sis. Bye."

"Later."

After we hung up I re-situated myself on the couch and got busy on taking the nap that Jill interrupted.

Chapter Six

"Drat," I cursed quietly as I missed another stitch. I had trying to keep myself occupied with an afghan I'd been crocheting until David came, but I was so anxious that I couldn't focus. I cursed not asking him to come earlier to just get the whole thing out of the way. I glanced at the clock and was grateful that he was supposed to be arriving imminently. I'd just managed to fix my stitch when there was a knock at the door. I gulped and put down my handiwork. Having made it to the door, I took a deep breath and opened it. I gasped lightly as I recognized the figure in the doorway, or at least his scar. Likewise, he also jerked his head in recognition before breaking out into a wide grin.

"Well, I didn't expect to see you! I take it your Ruth," he said with a laugh.

"Yes, I am. I didn't expect you either." I relaxed a little bit and felt the corners of my eyes happily turn up slightly at 'David' not being a complete stranger. "Would you like to come in?" I stepped back from the doorway and he came inside.

"Whoa!" He exclaimed with a whistle. "This place is huge!"

"It was built as part of a government subsidized housing project for species other than humans. This particular building was designed to be inhabited by centaurs."

"That makes sense. My neighbor said that this is the centaur district." I looked at him curiously. "He's lupine." He explained and I nodded in understanding.

"I see. The building may have been designed for centaurs, but it's still a bit cramped for them."

"That's really too bad, but it's quite roomy for two-leggers like us!" I nodded again. "Well, anyway, I brought you something." He held out a small item that wrapped in towels. "Just a little something to show my appreciation for you letting me see your home." I took it and unfolded the towels releasing a wonderful aroma and the upper crust of a pie.

"That smells lovely," I complimented. "I'll be back in a moment." I stepped into the kitchen to put the dessert down.

"You like knitting?" He asked, presumably seeing my yarn and crocheting hooks.

"I do knit," I called back," but I crochet better than I knit." I heard him laugh.

"I can't say I know the difference, but if you ask me, everyone needs a hobby!" I smiled at his apparent approval of my handicraft.

When I came back David was looking between two opposing bare walls of my sparsely furnished front room.

"You don't have a TV?" He asked.

"No, I don't..." I replied, not liking where this was going. "I've never wanted one."

"I get that. I don't really like TV either." I signed lightly in relief. "I do like video games though..." I twitched my tail in agitation as he sucked in his bottom lip before letting it pop out again. "Would that... be a problem?"

"I like it quiet in the evenings," I replied softly.

"Me too," he said with a grin. "I prefer to keep the volume low, and I don't play online so I don't need to talk into a headset or anything like that."

"I guess that wouldn't be so bad." His grin widened slightly.

I've also got a couch. It's kinda old but it's really comfy." I couldn't see how I would ever prefer a couch sized for humans over my chair that was sized for me, but there was plenty of room for both so it didn't really matter.

"That would be fine. I suppose I should show you the rest of the apartment."

"Lead the way!"

Next we headed to the kitchen and David's eyes nearly popped out of his head.

"Whoa! Look at all that counter space!" He exclaimed, "and the dining area's huge!"

"I don't cook much, but you would certainly be free to do so if you wish."

"That would be great!" He gestured to the built-in cupboards. "Do you mind if I take a look?"

"No, go ahead." He started poking around, seeming to be amazed at how much storage space there was. A few moments later I groaned.

"What is it?"

"I should probably tell you that I'm a vegetarian. My body doesn't process meat and it would make me very sick."

"Oh, ok..." he listened attentively as he waited for me to continue.

"While don't expect you to stop eating meat, please don't ever bring beef here." He gasped lightly when he realized what I meant, but then sighed in apparent disappointment. A moment later he looked back up.

"That makes sense." He smiled. "If I do end up living here, then I promise to never knowingly bring beef or any beef products into the apartment," he added sincerely.

"Thank you. What you do outside of here is your business, but I do not wish to know about it.

"Deal."

His eager willingness to accept my sensibilities was starting to make me think that having him live here might just work out and that brought a sense of relief and my tail started to swing freely as I led him down the short hallway that led to the rest of the apartment.

"Well, that leaves the bedroom and the bathroom. My room is the one at the end, and I'd prefer that be off-limits." He chuckled.

"I get that!" I led him to the first door which was an empty tiny bedroom with a height-adjustable shelf built into one of the walls.

"Whoa, this is a lot smaller than everywhere else!"

"Centaurs sleep standing up, so there's no need for them to have room for a bed," I explained.

"I guess that makes sense." He pointed to the shelf. "What's up with that?"

"While they sleep standing, they do like to rest their heads."

"Oh, ok. Give me a minute." He paced out the floor then nodded. "Alright, well my twin bed would fit here, but not much else. Good thing I don't have a lot of stuff!"

I ears twitched as another thought popped into my head.

"If you're going to ever bring a woman here..." I trailed off.

"No worries there!" He laughed and gestured to his facial scars. "I'm not exactly what you call either a looker or a charmer! Plus, I'm not interested in flings. If I ever meet someone special, you'd know about and meet her way before I'd ever bring her here for a romp in the sack!" Again, I was relieved. Last I showed him the bathroom.

"At this point I expected the shower to be big, but holy smoke that's massive!" He exclaimed making me laugh. "Seriously, we could both fit in there easily!" My laughter faded into an uncomfortable silence.

"Umm... I didn't mean that... uhh, it's not like we ever would... I mean, it's just a big shower, that's all..." he stammered awkwardly, making me laugh again. That seemed to make him at ease once more.

"That's ok. I know what you meant. I was caught off guard for a moment, that's all."

We headed back out into the front room and we stopped at the door.

"You've got a nice place here," commented David. "And if I'm being honest, you seem very nice too." I felt a little glow in my chest from the compliment. "I wouldn't mind calling this place home, if that ends up being ok with you." My stomach twisted in knots again and my heart started pounding. I simply wasn't ready to agree to letting someone stay in my private space indefinitely just yet. I took a breath to steady myself.

"I will let you know in a few days," I said flatly.

"That's fine, I'm sure you have other people who want to look at the place." I didn't, but I didn't want to reveal that so I just nodded. "It was very nice meeting you." He held out his hand and I shook it. It felt like it was the same size as mine, which for a human was huge!

"It was nice meeting you too, I replied stiffly.

With that he left. I walked to my chair and plopped down in it. After giving myself a few minutes to calm down I pulled out my phone and called Sara.

"Hi, Ruth! How did it go?"

"To be honest, it went better than I thought it would."

"That's great! You've gotta tell me all about it!" She squealed.

"He's human."

"Oooh, is he cute?"

"I wouldn't know..." I deadpanned

"Gah, ok. Is he nice?"

"He seemed like it."

"Great, what else?" She asked quickly.

"Do you remember the man who stood up for me at the bar a few weeks ago?"

"Yeah... wait, that's him!" She exclaimed

"Yes... he brought a pie..."

"Ooooh, is it good?"

"I haven't tried it yet, but it smells good."

"Homemade?"

"I think so."

"Oh, sweetie, you hit the jackpot!"

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"He's nice, he bakes, and he's already proven that he's got your back. You couldn't ask for better!"

"I suppose that's true."

"So, when's he moving in?"

"He still might not."

"What!? Did he not like the place or something?"

"No, he said that he liked it."

"Then what's the hold up?" I didn't answer immediately, hoping for a small reprieve from Sara's barrage of questions. It didn't last long... "Ruth?"

"I told him I'd let him know in a few days."

"Really!? What are you waiting for!?"

"A call from a female..."

"Oh..." I got my reprieve.

"It would be strange enough to share an apartment with a human, but sharing one with a human male would be even more so."

"I guess that makes sense." All trace of prior excitement was gone from Sara's voice.

"I also wasn't ready to agree to any arrangements on the spot. However, If I don't get any other decent offers I do think he'll work well enough."

"Ok." We were both silent for a minute.

"Thank you for letting me talk it out," I said eventually.

"You're welcome, you know I'm always good for that!"

"Yes. I do know that. You're a good friend... even when you're being exhausting." She snorted. "I'm going now. Thanks for listening."

"Bye, Ruth. Enjoy the pie, and save me a piece if it's any good!"

After ending the call I walked over to the kitchen and got a knife and fork. I cut myself a piece of the dessert, which turned out to be apple, then took a bite.

It was delicious.

Chapter 7

Monday morning I was just about to leave when I saw Raylund stretching before his run to work.

"Hidey-ho neighbor!" I called out and he pulled out of his stretch.

"Morning David," he answered with a throaty growl that was his version of a chuckle. "How did it go on Friday?" He asked.

"I think it was good, but I haven't heard back yet."

"Hopefully you hear back soon. Is she a widowed centaur like we thought?" I snorted.