Beauty and the Geek

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As the new year rolled around, Benjamin was just 20 days from graduating from high school, and the day the window opened for auditioning for the Marine Corps Band opened up, he signed up for the 7th of April.

4am. January 20, 2024

Becky had been unable to sleep for the last several nights getting an hour or two here and there with the rest of the night spent in torment over the conflict raging inside her.

She was now certain that she loved Benjamin--in spite of their difference in age. She was also nearly certain that he would never give her another chance. Not after pouring his heart out to her and then having it stomped on. And yet she couldn't stop thinking about him, and as she go up that morning she grabbed her phone and at 7:05am made a phone call.

7pm the same evening

"Ladies and gentlemen. We may only have three of our students graduating tonight, but for them and their families, this is a very important day, and it's also a huge milestone for our three soon-to-be alumni. So without any further adieu...."

Pomp and Circumstance played as the three graduates passed in front of the school's principal to shake her hand and receive their diplomas. Benjamin's mom hollered out, "Congratulations, Benjamin! I know your father is as proud of you as I am!"

He held the diploma up to show her then looked up to acknowledge his dad before walking off the stage--where he saw the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen. She was wearing a beautiful long-sleeved sweater and a very cute skirt with a pair of heels that made her the same height as him. He saw the beautiful smile on her face and ran to her.

"Becky."

"Congratulations," she told him.

"What...are you doing here?"

"You were right, Benjamin, and I was wrong. I don't care what 'they' say. I only care that you know I love you, and if you can forgive me for being such an...."

Benjamin grabbed her, picked her up, and kissed her while he spun her around. When he put her down, all eyes were on them, and his mother was standing just a few feet away.

Becky saw her and knew. For her, this was the one exception to people caring, and she'd dreaded finding out that his mom did care and would never approve. Benjamin was holding her hand as his mom walked up to them, and Becky's heart was in her throat.

"You must be Rebecca. Benjamin told me how much he loves you, and now I can see why."

Becky looked at her then at Benjamin.

"I know my mom. She's not kidding, Becky."

His mom held her arms out and embraced the older woman her son loved. It wasn't ideal, at least not in her mind, but she did trust her son, and he really was the most mature person she knew. And if he loved this very attractive, much-older woman, then there must be many reasons why, and as long as her son was happy, she was happy for him.

"Call me Ella, please."

"Ella. Hi. It's so good to meet you."

She didn't correct Ella about the name as it sounded right coming from her. She was just relieved beyond measure not to be hated by her.

Benjamin stood between them, put an arm around each of the women he loved then said, "How about we all go celebrate?"

By the end of the evening, most of Ella's unspoken fears were alleviated. The rest would either go away with time or silently remain with her for the rest of her life, but it was obvious she loved her son, and he was head over heels in love with her. So...that was good enough.

*****

April 7th, 2024

There were roughly a hundred people auditioning for three openings. One was for the oboe. A second spot was available for the clarinet. The third, and the most sought after, was for the trumpet.

Benjamin had the 2:30 time slot and showed up 15 minutes early with Becky who'd driven across the country with him for the audition.

The Bandmaster, a Marine master gunnery sergeant, and the Ensemble Leader, a gunnery sergeant, met them and made small talk for a few minutes before asking Benjamin to come in and play. Becky was offered the opportunity to listen and happily sat with them.

The bandmaster spoke once they were seated.

"Okay, Mr. Reed. You'll play one song of your choice. You will then be given two random march tunes to play. Unless you have any questions you may begin whenever you're ready."

Benjamin looked at Becky who smiled and mouthed, "I love you!" for good luck.

By the time he'd finished playing A Taste of Honey, she knew he'd be selected. The Ensemble Leader then handed him two sets of sheet music. He smiled when he saw them, as he'd practiced both of them many times in preparation.

He hit every note of both marches perfectly, and when he played the final note, both Marines stood and applauded and said, "Bravo!"

He was thanked for his time and told that he would receive a phone call with three days informing him of their decision. Both he and Becky were on pins and needles until the phone rang three days later.

"Benjamin Reed?"

"Yes. This is he," the 19-year old trumpet player said.

"It is my great pleasure to inform you that you have been selected to be the Marine Corps Band's next trumpet player. Congratulations."

Becky and Ella shrieked with joy and grabbed one another and danced in a circle as Benjamin thanked the person calling.

"A Marine recruiter will be contacting you in the next few days to determine when to send you to Parris Island, South Carolina, for recruit training. Once you successfully graduate from boot camp, you'll be sent to Washington DC for duty with the Band. I know this seems overwhelming, but on't worry, I'll be sending you a packet of information that should answer any questions you might have."

When he hung up, his mother and girlfriend were right there to hug him and congratulate him.

"I'm SO proud of you, son," his mother said, her eyes filled with tears of joy.

"Me, too, sweetheart," Becky told him as she hugged him and kissed him.

*****

Benjamin left for Marine Corps boot camp on May 14th and graduated 13 weeks later with PFC chevrons on his dress blues. Private First Class Reed was the platoon honor man which was the highest...honor...a recruit could receive.

His platoon had been allowed to shop at the base exchange two days before graduation, and while there he bought something that he kept with him at all times until he was at dinner that night with the woman he loved.

During dinner, he got down on one knee asked Becky to marry him. He barely got the words out before she was screaming, "YES, YES, YESSSS!"

Neither of them cared that a waitress assumed Becky was his mother when she seated them. That had happened a handful of times since they began dating. All that mattered was the love they had for each other, and that love grew greater with each passing day.

Six months later they were living in a very cozy apartment in Arlington, Virginia, and just a stone's throw away from Marine Barracks, home to the Marine Corps Band.

As Benjamin learned the songs and the band's routine, his love for the beautiful, older woman he loved became an unbreakable bond. They married that summer with all of the band member's in attendance, and the band had chipped in to provide them with a 4-day, 5-night honeymoon to Niagara Falls.

It was there that Becky Reed became pregnant with the first of three children, a baby boy they named Caden Thomas Reed. Two years later, Caden had a little sister who was named Ella Marie and three years after that, the Reeds had another daughter they named Naomi Lynn.

Staff Sergeant Benjamin Reed stayed in the Band for several reasons not the least of which was his love of country and ended up as the bandleader his last two years on active duty. But he also loved the pageantry, and while the endless travel got old, he knew that his beautiful wife would always be there whenever he got home.

The time they spent together was the best part of their lives, and having children to share it with only made it better.

They'd bought an acre of land in North Carolina, and right after Benjamin retired, they began building their dream. It took the better part of two years, but the final product was well worth the wait.

They were all together one evening enjoying some family with all of their children home for a visit when Becky took her husband's hand and smiled.

"What?" he asked, knowing something was on her mind.

"I was just thinking."

"About?"

"Your dad. And the trumpet he gave you."

"Ah, right. That changed both our lives, didn't it?"

"It sure did, and if there's a heaven, I'm going to thank him one day for doing that."

"I have no doubt he's looking down and watching his grandchildren right now."

"And his amazing son."

"And his son's more amazing and beautiful wife."

He laughed then said, "You and me. Who'd have thunk? Beauty and the Geek!"

Laughter rang out and prompted questions like "What's so funny?" from their children.

"Oh, nothing. Your father and I just love each other so, so much!"

There wasn't a reply, but they all looked and smiled as their parents, who still adored each other continued their cooing.

"I love you, Benjamin Reed."

"And I love you, Rebecca Reed."

A long, soft kiss brought an "eeewww" from the peanut gallery, but it only made them want kiss even more.