Believer Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Are the Indian and Black women actual Police Officers?" Hinds asked.

"The Black woman is going through the Police Academy to become an Officer." I said.

"But she's not one now." stated Hinds. "So she doesn't count. As far as I'm concerned, and my opinion is the only one that counts in writing my report, you don't have any black women in your Detective Corps, and your Vice Squad is all-White."

"So you're not giving us any credit for the black woman that is in Intel?" I asked.

"Not one bit." said Hinds. "Your lame attempt to try to rush someone in there now is insultingly lazy. You should've had black women in your Detective Corps all along."

"Sounds like you have a preconceived outcome, here," I said, "and will twist the truth and the facts to obtain the outcome you want." I saw Hinds's eyes flash with anger; the anger that I knew what her real intent was.

"Let's move on, please." said Cindy. She was not helping, but we moved on.

Hinds said "Your Precincts. First Precinct is the north side, which is predominately white? And Second Precinct is predominately black and other minorities?"

Cindy said "Both Precincts have large swaths of ethnicities of all kinds living together within them-------"

"Are you saying the Heritage Cloisters subdivision is not virtually all-white?" Kehoe asked.

"Trap question." I fired back. "You're attempting to define what she said about two Precincts to one specific area. Commander Ross, this is 'Scooter Libby' treatment, and if it continues, I'm going to stop this and call some lawyers in."

"All right, one more time." said Ava Hinds, getting angry. "Does First Precinct encompass the north side, which contain the predominately white areas of your County? And does Second Precinct contain the predominately black areas, which we know are on the south side?"

Cindy replied "I'm not liking the way you're trying to define the demographics of our County, and I agree with Commander Troy that you're attempting to entrap me so that no matter what I say, you'll call it a lie, and then accuse me of lying to Federal Agents."

"Do you really believe I'm trying to do that?" asked Ava Hinds, looking stunned. Kehoe had a look between smugness and the knowledge that their ploy had not worked.

"Commander Ross may not." I said with a wee bit of 'authority' in my voice. "I absolutely do."

Hinds looked back at Kehoe, who leaned over and whispered something to her. "All right," said Hinds, "the demographics from the last Census are very clear, and I'm saying that the north side is predominately white and wealthier than the south side, which is predominately black and impoverished. Second Precinct covers those impoverished, predominately black areas. What I want to know is why Lieutenant Rudistan, who is white, is assigned to 2nd Precinct, while Lieutenant DeLong, who is black, is assigned to the predominately white First Precinct?"

"One reason," said Cindy, "is because Lieutenant DeLong was promoted to fill the slot left open after Lieutenant Irwin died in the line of duty."

"So why not put Lieutenant Rudistan in that slot, and Lieutenant DeLong in 2nd Precinct?" persisted Hinds.

"Why does that matter?" I asked.

"Isn't it obvious?" Hinds retorted angrily. "Why aren't you assigning blacks to predominately black areas?"

"The Chief told me to 'be nice', so I won't say out loud that your question is racist in itself." I said. "So here's your answer for that form you're not really filling out nor making notes about, suggesting you're preconceived in your outcome."

I started: "Lieutenant Rudistan grew up in one of the poorest sections of the County on the Southside. He knows those areas like the back of his hand. He narrowly avoided becoming part of a gang, and turned his life around and became a Police Officer... and a damn good one. He has 'street cred' in those neighborhoods that few of our black Officers do, and his fiancée is black, for what that's worth."

I continued: "And like Commander Ross just said, the spot that was open was for 1st Precinct, and Lieutenant DeLong was promoted to it. He was on the mission with Lieutenant Irwin when Irwin died. Putting him in 1st Precinct gives him a chance to develop and grow, and one day he may be the 2nd Precinct Captain. And I don't know why you're so opposed to Officers of one ethnicity serving districts primarily of another ethnicity, but I see positives in it."

"That's why I'm going to be reporting you as 'racially insensitive'." snarled Hinds. "You don't get it. Blacks are tired of having white cops coming from out of their districts lording over them. You should have more black cops in black districts."

"Assignment by Identity Politics?" I shot back. "Even though the white Officer you complained about grew up with those blacks in their district, and is actually better qualified for that particular slot?"

"He's still white." said Kehoe. "And that's the problem."

I chuckled, then became serious as I said "No accounting for merit, eh? Just purely by race. Pure 'Identity Politics'. And now you're dictating to us who we assign where?"

"We will be." said Ava Hinds as she closed her notebook. "Once we have that Consent Decree, we will own you. And then we'll make the assignments, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it."

"Ears are to hear with." I said. "We will never 'consent' to anything of the kind. And unlike Mr. Kehoe's shakedown friend Jocelyn Moran... we won't play. We'll fight you all the way."

"And when we win?" Hinds said, possibly genuinely curious to hear my answer.

"You won't." I said. "Even if you (air quotes) 'win', you lose. You just don't realize that yet." Hinds just turned and walked to the door without even looking at us. Kehoe followed, but giving us a look of superiority over us...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"All I'm saying, Chief," said Cindy angrily, "is that I want Commander Troy to get the hell out of my way and let me do my job!"

We were sitting in the Chief's office, into which Cindy had stormed after Hinds and Kehoe and left the building. Seconds later my phone had buzzed with an invitation I could not refuse...

"First of all, Mizzz Ross, it's my job." said the Chief. "All jobs here are mine; I just delegate them to you and you delegate on down the chain. In this particular case, Commander Troy saved you by walking in on you, and when he did. I agreeeee with him that those Federal Officers were not peaceful in their intentions towards us."

I might add that the Chief had been watching the video camera feed before he'd come into the Conference Room, and again watched it after he left.

"I don't think she was, Chief." Cindy said. "I got no sense from her of any hostility... until Don walked in there without even knocking and just sat down. That was embarrassing enough to me."

"What would have been embarrassing," said the Chief, "is if I had had to fire you, or worse, if the Sheriff had been here. He would have fired you, on the spot. And once again, I think video evidence more than proooooves that their intent was hostile."

"With respect, Chief," said Cindy, "I still don't believe that. Or at least their intent was not hostile until Don went in there and started accusing them of------"

"Cindy!" I said, having had just about enough of that. "What more do you need? What's going to convince you? Hinds outright lied to you about Kehoe's identity! And her answer about his security was as bogus as a three-dollar-bill. She lied to you! And then they started showing their hand, and their intent from the get-go to fail us and go for the Consent Decree!"

Cindy said "I don't believe it. I don't believe you. I think they only came to that conclusion in response to your hostility to them! But now? Yeah, the cat's out of the bag now, and I doubt we can put it back in."

"I give up." I said, throwing up my hands. Then I stood up. "Excuse me, Chief, there's nothing more I can say or do here. Seven years I've been here, and she just refuses to believe me."

"You're not always right!" Cindy yelled, her face as red as I'd ever seen it, making her platinum blonde hair look even whiter. "And not everything has to be a fight!"

"Oh." I said. "Like when you tried to stop my fight with the Press. What did they do to you in exchange for your olive branch, Cindy? They tried to take your baby, that beautiful little girl, away from you! They tried to put your baby in DFACS hell!"


I ranted on: "And how many times do I have to prove myself to you? Selena Steele was one hour from the death penalty, but Chief Griswold gave me that hour! He believed me, and I don't see why after the what, hundreds? of examples I've given you, you just refuse to believe anything I say? It's almost like you're taking the other side just for the sake of doing it!"

"Good grief!" Cindy started. "That's not-------"

"I don't know what to do anymore." I said, having caught my breath, but not letting her finish her sentence. "I don't know what it's going to take."

I moved towards the door, then turned back and said "But I do know one thing. If you keep refusing to believe me, this Police Force can't be big enough for both of us. This is Strike Two; one more, and either you'll submit your retirement papers... or I will." Not waiting for answer, I just turned, opened the door, and left the Chief's office.

Part 15 - And It Keeps On Going

Thursday, December 12th. There was no coffee klatch in the Chief's Conference Room. I went into MCD and listened in with the Detectives as Jeff Hull gave the Sports Report about the upcoming Heisman Trophy presentation, and how rare it was that two players from one School were in the running for it the same year. Hull also speculated that Washington and Appletree could split the vote, allowing the Alabama player to win it. The Sports Media was openly rooting for the Alabama player to win it, I observed.

It was also set: the Wildcats would be playing Alabama for the Crystal Trophy and the National Championship in Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. Everyone was asking me and Theo what our bets were with Joanne Warner. "One thing is for sure." I said "I am not betting her for ownership of Bowser. No matter who wins, she cannot have my dog."

Cindy went to her office with not even a 'hello' in my direction, shut the door, and did not come out. Tanya, Teresa, and I had our Angels meeting without her. I told them what had happened with the DOJ auditors, and told them to make damn sure that if the Feds came back, no Officer was to be by himself or herself with any of them.

Well, I did make an exception: Tanya could be alone with Jack Muscone. Tanya most very wickedly asked if she should record her nightly 'interviews' with Jack, and I said that I for one had no desire to watch that. That made Teresa groan, saying "I cannot un-see that in my mind!" Tanya and I rolled with laughter over that, and Teresa eventually joined the laughter.

And yes, the Feds came back. Ava Hinds came to the lobby with no less than eight people, six of them being FBI Special Agents... and one of those being Martin Nash(!). He was immediately called into the Chief's office (with me in there with the Chief) and was told the 'rules'. His familiarity with us did not dent our wall, and I even suggested to him to go back to the Federal Building to avoid potential problems. He did not heed my advice, but he did obey the rules.

We did not permit Ava Hinds behind the lobby doors. She was given access to the Press Interview Room, and the Federal Agents were permitted to use Interrogation Rooms A-C to talk to Officers. I was surprised at how little pushback we got from them. Federal Agents conducted interviews with Police Officers with Union Reps present at all times. An Interrogation Room at the Old Mill was provided to them, and they interviewed a large number of our black Police Officers there. They did not bother to go to County Jail to interview anyone.

At the end of the day, Ava Hinds attempted to go to Cindy's office to talk to her alone, but the Green Crowbar had learned well enough that she had the Chief come into her office first. Hinds said her final report would be coming soon, and that she'd found 'serious deficiencies' in our civil rights compliance, that a decision would be made in Washington about what to do about it, and that she (Hinds) hoped the TCPD would be cooperative with the DOJ Civil Rights Division going forward.

The Chief replied that sounded like a threat, and that he didn't cotton well to threats. He also mentioned that no matter what, the TCPD would never 'consent' to any 'Consent Decree'. Hinds got up and left without speaking another word.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Friday, December 13th. Yes, Friday the Thirteenth. No coffee klatch. No Theo Washington in MCD; he was on his way to New York City. No Lester 'Penis' Holder on KXTC. Indeed, all Bettina talked about was the upcoming Fire Department Ball and their 'Chief's Order of Distinction', the equivalent of our Orange Order.

They did not have a Patrol of Honor like We the Police did, but instead held something they called 'The Vigil', where they were stationed at the spot where the Weather Station above Point Hollow now stood, and had to stay awake all night and watch for fires in the valley below (i.e. the Town). In some years, screams from Point Hollow had been heard, chilling the honored Firefighters more than the weather. This year, no screams were heard from Point Hollow, nor were there any strange electricity discharges... nor Slender Man sightings.

At 9:30am, the Chief invited me to a late breakfast at the University Diner, and I drove him over there. The University Diner was just south of Church Row on College Avenue, and was a staple of good 'greasy spoon' eating. There were usually a lot of University students there, but with the Christmas season, it was relatively quiet.

Also: the Chief normally wore his jacket and a white shirt and black necktie as his uniform, with two stars on each collar, and a Purple Order metal-bordered ribbon... since he'd earned the equivalent while in Midtown, he was permitted to wear that on his TCPD uniform (wonder who wrote that into the Charter? Not me... it was already there).

But today, he was wearing a blue shirt with soft shoulderboards on each shoulder epaulette, and eschewing the necktie; in other words, just like what I always wore. That had my curiosity piqued.

"So why the blue shirt, Chief?" I asked. "Besides the fact that you can."

Moynahan grunted a laugh. "I've noticed that I'm just about the only one entitled to wear a white shirt that does, except for Captain Abram. You, Commander Ross, Commander Croyle, and Captain Perlman wear blue shirts, Mary Milton, Davis, and the Precinct Lieutenants either are in plainclothes or light blue shirts, the Duty Desk Sergeants wear light blue shirts even though they can wear white. Sooooo, I decided to see how it feels to wear blue." I nodded.

"But to be honest," said the Chief, "I think I'm used to the white shirt and the tie."

I nodded. "Julius Caesar wore a red robe, to distinguish himself from his Officers and men. Nothing wrong with you doing the same with the white shirt. But I am not going to re-write the Charter so you can have three stars, or anything like that." The Chief chuckled heartily at that.

Our food came, and as we consumed the delicious dishes, the Chief said "Have you talked to the Sheriff lately?" I knew what he meant: had I talked to Griswold since the previous Monday's rift between him and the Chief.

"No sir." I said. "Just texts hello and that sort of stuff. No real discussions of anything, which surprises me; I'd expected him to want to know more about the DOJ coming in, but we haven't talked about that, at least not yet."

"He and I have talked about it." said the Chief. "And just so you know, we hashed things out Monday. He admitted he was wrong about calling me out in front of all of you, but he said time was of the essence in calling the Press Conference, and that you were right to call one like you did. And we discussed... other things, as well."

I nodded. "Is that why he hasn't been to the coffee klatches all week?" I asked.

Moynahan said "He told me that he was going to go spend some time with the Fire Department people, which he thought he should've been doing more of in the first place. He'll also spend some time with the EMT brass after they open their Headquarters across the street from us."

"And he refused to accept your offer to resign." I said.

"I thought you said you didn't talk to him." said the Chief.

"I didn't." I said. "But I've been known to figure some things out every once in a while."

"No doubt about that." said the Chief. "Well, I just asked him if he wanted my resignation, and he said he didn't, that I was the head coach and you were the quarterback, and he needed both of us, even if you're calling your own plays."

I nodded and said "Do I go too far, Chief?"

"No." said the Chief. "No you do not. You're young, and you're direct, but you're confident, you lead by example... if not with your nose at times... and you could easily run this Police Force as Chief. But it's not where you're at your very best. Most of my job is upward; dealing with the Sheriff, the Council, the People of the County, which leaves you and Commander Ross to run the operations and mind the store. You're good enough to call your own plays, to continue the football analogy, and I'm glad you dooooo."

He continued: "I remember that game where the loser Atlanta Falcons lost that 25 point lead. Up 28-3, and they blew it. Humiliating, just inexcusable, as you've said a few times. And I remember their idiot offensive coordinator trying to get cute and run a pass play. But what got to me... was that the Falcons's quarterback could have audibled and changed the play, or could've called time out and gone over and said 'What the fuck are you doing?'. What were they going to do, pull and bench that year's league MVP?" I barked a laugh and nodded vigorously in total agreement.

Moynahan: "Well, thank God you're not a 'yes man' and a pussy like that Falcons quarterback was. You call the audibles, you call the time outs when and where needed. And I trust you to do the right things. And even if I'm debating you on something, you know that I'll have your back once it's decided."

"Yes sir, I do." I said. "And I appreciate it. And I think I know where this is going."

"If you're thinking 'Commander Ross', you're not wrong but you're not right." said the Chief. "I'm staying out of that one, unless it festers and affects the Force. In this Fed audit thing, you were right and I let her know that. Just as the Sheriff was right about you calling that Press Conference and took me down over it, I took her down over what happened yesterday."

"Having said that," said the Chief, "Commander Ross and I are often in the same way of thinking, just as Chief Evans and I were so very often of like mind when we were in Midtown. And if I have to, I'll take Commander Ross's side if the situation calls for it. I just hope that the two of you can work it out."

I said "I'll be candidly truthful, sir. I don't know if we can. She's my blood family and I love her. And I'm not saying I'm 100% right 100% of the time. But I just cannot have her openly opposing me on things like she has in the past, when it's so obvious that I have been right. I mean, I honestly don't get it why she does that... and I don't have to time to figure it out. I'm not kidding when I say there are people out there that are out for our blood... literally, they want to destroy us... and I can't fight them and Cindy at the same time. Something's gotta give..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *