Believer Ch. 03

Story Info
Policeman's Ball; TCPD is audited; ending twist.
14.3k words
4.8
6.5k
6

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 08/27/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Author's special note: This story covers those every-year Holiday things, and also lays groundwork and builds up to two big future stories. Thank you for your patience.

Part 11 - Orange is the New (Police) Blue (continued)

Walking forward in the silence of the MCD room, I saw that Jerome Davis was sitting next to Julia Rodriguez at the back corner desks. At the desks down the wall from them was Teddy Parker, with his girlfriend Janice Holloway sitting next to him. I stopped in front of one of those desks.

"Detective Parker," I said, "would you please come with us?"

The room erupted into cheers and applause, and Janice Holloway squealed as she hugged Teddy, then kissed him right there in front of everyone.

"Please?" I said, to get Teddy moving. He got the hint and followed me into the hallway and took his place behind Inga Gunddottar. I noticed Jerome Davis's eyes light up when he saw Inga in the line.

The candidates were marched into the Main Conference Room, and my 'Loddy Doddy Everybody' contact list was used to inform the entire Police Force that they should congregate in the Auditorium.

The Chief made his usual remarks of how great the TCPD was, and how proud he was to be the Chief of it. Then he turned it over to me.

"Ladies and gentlemen," I said, "I know that you are consummate professionals that do your jobs with distinction. But dark days for the Police, all of the Police, all over this Nation, are coming. While I believe the TCPD's relations with the minority communities are good, it only takes one incident to destroy that, and that incident won't necessarily have to take place here. The relationship between minorities and the Police in places like the City are not good at all, and it's like a powder keg with a fuse just ready to be lit."

"We have to be careful, ladies and gentlemen." I admonished. "Everyone and their brother... heck, even their dogs... have cellphones, and would love to use them to video you doing something wrong, so they can sell the video to the deeply corrupt Press. So do things right. If there is an issue, bring it up your chain of command. If necessary, I'll put my butt out there on the line to make sure you don't get screwed over by a rabidly dishonest Press and their political allies."

I could see that my Officers were absorbing the message, so I said "Okay, let's introduce the Officers that you have elected into the Orange Order..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After the sun had set, Gunddottar and Parker were taken by van to the Junction Station Depot, and were taken through the initial ceremonies. I am sorry to say that they both forgot to take their lanterns when they were given their bathroom break, and had to stand half-bowing for three minutes.

I am even sorrier to say that I earned over $100 in bets. Cindy lamented about Inga letting her down as she handed me a $20 bill. Janice Holloway and Teresa both lamented that Parker had failed them as they handed me their $20 bills. I told them that Bowser and Buddy appreciated the contributions to their dog food fund.

We drove up to the southwest corner of Courthouse Square. As usual, a great many people were aligned on the outside sidewalks of the four streets that formed the Square. They used to have candles, but now just turned on the lights of their smartphones, creating a sea of little points of brilliantly white light. On the inside of the square, Jerome Davis and Janice Holloway filmed their significant others beginning their Patrol of Honor, carrying green-glassed lanterns behind Father Romano, who was carrying his orange-glassed lantern.

Normally the Inner Circle initiates wore robes with a hood that looked more like Obi-Wan Kenobe than anything. However, partly due to his religious vows, Father Romano wore his black robes and headgear, and that worked out just fine with me.

As usual, they went around the Square three times. Then they headed north on Riverside Drive. I was in my Police SUV with Sheriff Griswold, following at a distance. I got on Channel 5 Encrypted Radio. "What's MLK Jr. Drive like?" I asked.

Teresa's voice came back: "A lot of people in red Antifa shirts are in the Jasmine Club parking lot. A lot of them have signs saying 'Black Lives Matter' and 'Defund The Police'." A moment later she called in again: "Another large crowd on both sides of the road near T-Square's club 'Rhythms & Rap' and what's left of Fillmore's Pharmacy. Red shirts, signs, and some chains with bicycle locks on the ends."

"Roger that." I replied. To Sheriff Griswold I said "I think we should take the perimeter roads, Sheriff."

"Make it so, Number One." replied the Sheriff.

"All units, all units." I said on Channel 5 Encrypted Radio. "We are go for the 'Orbit' route. I say again, we are go for the 'Orbit' route." The 'Orbit' route would be along roads on the outskirts of the Town & County rather than going through any parts of Town. We would bypass the minority areas and the potential demonstrators, and we'd bypass the other parts of Town, as well.

The entourage went east, along a road parallel to North Street, then Police stopped traffic on University Avenue to allow them to cross that busy street. The entourage headed up side of the mountain, on the road that led beneath Todd and Teresa's house and The Cabin. We went around the hairpin curve and began descending, ending up just in front of McGhillie's Golf Course, where the first break was taken.

At the resumption of the walk, the group moved south along Reservoir Road to the Nextdoor County Highway. Fortunately we did not have to travel too far along it, and we turned off onto the road going to Cemetery Hill. What many people didn't know was that a dirt road led south to County Road 2. The entourage continued west to County Road 5, then north along that road. Meanwhile, I took the Sheriff back to the Junction Station Depot, where Tanya Perlman was monitoring everything. They helped me set up for the morning ceremony, then the Sheriff followed the Buddy and Bowser example of resting his eyes while supervising. I got back onto the road...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The 'Orbit' route was very long. County Road 5 alone was fifteen miles long, end-to-end. We didn't go that far, cutting back across the River and onto Riverside Drive near BOW Enterprises. At 3:00am everyone took a break at the entrance to the Fairgrounds, which was right next to Police Headquarters and the Crime Lab/Morgue building. The walkers were given some good hot soup and sandwiches, and bottles of water. Everyone was holding up well, including Father Romano.

Channel 5 Encrypted Radio crackled, then Teresa's voice said "Press vans on North Street, Riverside Drive, and Jefferson Avenue."

"Interdict them." I said. "Don't let them move to follow our group." Police patrols enthusiastically moved out to follow those instructions.

At 5:30am, with the first gloaming purplish-red of dawn over the eastern horizon, the entourage moved south on the sidewalk of University Avenue down to Junction Station. The green and orange lanterns were hung on hooks on the side of the building, and everyone went inside. Chaplain Romano was awarded his Inner Circle medal, and Orange Order medals were affixed to Inga and Teddy's uniforms. Then we sat down at the tables in the form of a square and had the traditional breakfast: eggs and beer! And steaks, which Teresa and I purchased and the Sheriff prepared.

As we ate, Teresa said "Those Antifa thugs began dispersing around 1:00am. A lot of them took off the red shirts and went to T-Square's club, 'Rhythms & Rap'. And KXTC and KSTD had vans in the back parking lot of the Jasmine Club and other businesses down the road. They were waiting for us to go through there, into that ambush."

I replied "Did you get any video footage of that?"

Teresa gave what was for her a grin and said "Yes. Our unmarked Patrol cars got really good video of the thugs with the chains and bike locks, and Myron put up a drone and got the Press vans parked behind the buildings, and KXTC lettering on the side of one of them. KSTD was more careful; we couldn't really get a clear shot of their lettering on their van."

"Good." I said. "We are going to need that, if I don't miss my guess."

"So it was a setup?" Teresa asked.

I replied: "I'll just say that I believe the Press, particularly KXTC, was working hand-in-glove with the violent anarchists to create a violent situation so they could film it, then accuse the Police of being the instigators. And they're getting more blatant about it than they ever have before. Something's up." I took a long quaff of my beer, then murmured "Something is up..."

Part 12 - Football, Policeman's Ball

Saturday, December 7th. Pearl Harbor Day. Conference Championships Day. Policeman's Ball Day. Whatta day.

And I slept through a lot of it. I got home to The Cabin in the early morning and was greeted by two outstanding dogs. I took Bowser and Buddy out, then sat down and looked over the Town in the brightening sunlight. Gracie, one of Tiger Mom's kittens, who was all gray, walked along the top of the deck rail and sat down to watch me. I wondered how it felt to be doing that walk, as it was a long way down on the outside of the deck, and Gracie did not have a parachute. But she was a cat. Nuff said.

Going back inside, I just lay down on the sofa in the greatroom rather than bother Laura and Paulina in the master bedroom. The next thing I knew, I was waking up with my firstborn child laying on my chest, her face right over mine.

"Wake up, Daddy." Carole said. "Mommy says it's time to get ready for the Poleeeceman's Ball."

"Yeah, wake up Daddy!" Tasha said. She was standing on the floor, her face right next to Carole's right over mine.

"Hi girls." I said. "What time is it?"

"Three-thirty." said Paulina, who was watching, and recording for posterity on her smartphone. I grabbed my daughters in bear hugs and kissed them on their cheeks, making them giggle. Then I got on up.

The SEC Championship game was on. Alabama was winning, to no one's surprise. I went upstairs and took a hot shower and shaved, and I felt very refreshed afterwards. Then I went downstairs and watched college football as Laura and Paulina got ready. Paulina was going to be Sheriff Griswold's date. Laura was going to be mine, of course.

"Hey Daddy," said Carole as she came up to us. "Who is going to babysit us tonight?"

"Mrs. Williams and Mrs. Barker." I said. "And Mrs. Barker's daughter Frieda, who is Barky's owner, is going to be here to play with Tiffany and Jennifer."

"Bowser is Barky's daddy, isn't he?" Carole asked astutely.

"Yes, he is." I said. "So you be good and let Frieda and Tiffany and Jennifer pet Bowser, okay?"

"O-kay, Daddy." said Carole.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Laura and I arrived at the Policeman's Ball at the Civic Center early. My lovely wife was wearing an off-white dress that allowed her arm cast to blend in with it, as opposed to her normal black dresses that would contrast with it. Ever the fashion maven, my wife was.

"It's going to be a lot different this year." said Chief Moynahan as he came up. With him was Nextdoor County Police Chief Molly Evans, in her formal NCPD Police Chief uniform, and her NCPD Medal of Valor pinned on her uniform with her other medals. Some of her medals, and Chief Moynahan's medals, as well, were from their service with the Midtown Police Force.

"Yes sir." I said after hugging Molly. "Mrs. Griswold not here, Barker and Irwin not here. We've lost some good people."

"Yezzz." said the Chief. "And I'll bring them up in my remarks so you won't have tooooo, Mr. Crowbar. But I was referring to the changes in County leadership since last year's Ball. New Mayor, new Sheriff, and all that."

"But the same old earpiece in Commander Troy's ear." said a voice behind me. I turned to see Melina Allgood, who had said that. She was dressed in black, and looked smoking hot. With her was her husband Mayor Daniel Allgood. "Keeping me informed of a Wildcat victory tonight, I hope."

"That would be good, n'est pas?" I replied. "Though I'm not sure your husband and my cousin agree on that. Is that not right, Commander Ross?"

Cindy had just come in with Callie Carrington, who once again was dressed tastefully but in a way that made no effort to hide just how beautiful a woman she was. Cindy said "Actually, I won't mind if the Wildcats win. This is their last hurrah for a while... a long while."

Daniel Allgood said "I'm cheering for the Wildcats. As the saying goes: 'happy wife, happy life'." We all laughed at that. Then Daniel said "I've gotten word that Reginald B.F. Lewis is once again declining to attend, as are Kelly Carnes, Malinda Adams, and Sheila Sorrells. They made a public statement that they're boycotting the Policeman's Ball tonight in protest of Police hostility towards People of Color."

"What hostility is that?" I asked with asperity.

Daniel said "I've gotten word that they're going to go on a publicity blitz about you changing the Orange Order initiation route to avoid the primarily black areas of Town last night. They're saying it was an insult to the black community."

"Fer cryin' out loud." I said, shaking my head.

"Don't look the gift horse in the mouth." Cindy said quickly. "Carnes and Lewis are doing us a favor not being here. Especially Carnes." When I didn't reply, everyone peered at me, noticing that I was looking up at the ceiling... in a reverie.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At the head of the receiving line was Sheriff Griswold. Next to him was his 'date', Paulina Patterson. I did say something about him stealing Paulina from me and Laura, and he barked a laugh and said "I've still got it, eh, Crowbar?"

Next was Chief Moynahan and Chief Evans, then me and Laura, then Cindy and Callie, then Teresa and Todd. Normally, Teresa and Todd would not be in the line, but Todd was playing politician, and Teresa was the leader of the Uniformed Officers and was well-respected by them, and that was obvious as she greeted them.

As usual, I made a point to dig into my memory and preparation of all the Officers's families, asking about their kids if they had any, making those personal connections that went a long, long way on those two-way streets of Respect and Loyalty. Laura also received a lot of well-wishes for her health and that she had survived the Hospital attack.

After Teresa and Todd in the line were Mayor Daniel Allgood and Melina, Fire Chief Davies and his fiancée Tina Felton, PHO Beth Paige and her date (she's divorced, if you're wondering), then EMS Chief-to-be Cordell and EMS Assistant Chief Zoe Singer. I noticed that a number of black Police Officers left the line after shaking hands with Teresa and Todd. After the formal reception line was done and we were making our way to our seats at the tables, I asked Teresa about that.

"I don't know, sir." she replied. "Apparently some of our black Officers aren't fans of our Mayor, but this is the first outward manifestation I've seen of that."

"Oooh, big words, 'outward manifestation'." I said. "You must've gone to Wildcat School."

"I went to a better place than Alabama, for damn sure." Teresa replied. "War Damn Eagle!" I chuckled at that. Teresa had gone to a Division-II School, but when it comes to arguably the most intense college rivalry in the Nation (alongside The Ohio State University v. Michigan), Teresa was 'all in' for Auburn...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As everyone settled in for dinner, the speeches began. First was Mayor Allgood, who gave 'boilerplate' compliments about the Police Force for their outstanding work in the past year. I was a bit disappointed; it would have been good for the Mayor to try to connect more with the Police Force that he was once a part of.

Sheriff Griswold followed. After making general compliments and thanking the Mayor and Council for their support of the Police (absolutely a shot at the Haters on the Council; Our Sheriff don't play), he said "This doesn't get said enough, but I want you to know that your work does not go unnoticed nor unappreciated, no matter what that work is. It takes every one of you to make this Police Force work, and to serve and protect our Citizens and get criminals off the streets."

Griswold: "Some of you are like the quarterback. Your name is known, your ass is the one flapping in the breeze at the top of the flagpole as your decisions are minutely analyzed and often criticized. And a lot of you are like the Offensive Linemen. You're the big guys that go to work every day, and your names are not heard unless you do something wrong. But we all know that your jobs are just as important,that each and every job is just as critical as any other, and your professionalism in doing your jobs makes this Police Force what it is today: the very best Police Force on this earth."

Applause erupted, then the Sheriff finished: "As you know, my wife passed away earlier this year. You have always been my Police family, and you are all the family I have now. And because you are my family, I want you to know that I am totally committed to doing everything I can to support you, to help you, to work with you, maybe to advise you from time to time, and always glad to tell the world how proud I am of you. Keep making me proud of you. I love you all." I need not say that the standing ovation for Sheriff Griswold was long, loud, and very heartfelt.

Chief Moynahan got up and said "I have to follow that?" Laughter broke out, then the Chief said "I agreeeee with every word Sheriff Griswold said. Unfortunately, it is my duty to bring up the names of those who are no longer here with us. In addition to Mrs. Griswold, who unwaveringly supported her husband in his long Police and Sheriff career, Officer Barker and Lieutenant Irwin gave their lives in the service of our Town & County. There are no words that can adequately express our feelings as we think of them and their sacrifice, so let us remember them with a solemn toast and a moment of silence."

Everyone stood up and the Chief said "To our fallen brothers in blue." Everyone repeated the toast, sipped their beverages, and silence filled the room for a moment.

It was my turn to speak. I stood up and said "Thank you, Chief. I'd like to turn to happier things, if I may. First, the Sheriff will say I'm asskissing here, but this is from the heart: if I may speak on behalf of the entire Police Force, I want to thank Mayor Allgood, Sheriff Griswold, and Chief Moynahan for the unwavering support you have given us this past year. Our jobs are not only easier, but are possible because we know you have our backs in the face of vicious criticism and outright hatred." The room filled with thunderous applause and a brief standing ovation.

When that calmed down, I said "They say that making law is like making sausage; you don't want to watch either being made. Many of you have not seen what goes on behind closed doors in the political realm, so I want to make sure to thank Council Members John Colby, Dagmar Schoen, Edward R. Steele, and J.P. Goldman for their support of the Police Force in those meetings." There was applause, though not a standing ovation.