Bending the Rules Pt. 02: Connection

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Wait til the ward lifts, then get the hell out of here. Don't worry about me. Go!"

Nuru turned and ducked around the corner, then stumbled through the door to the shop. A small bell jingled, and raised voices closed in.

He kept an eye on the cracks in the doorway, watching for movement, but perused the store shelves.

"Can I help you sir?"

The shopkeep smiled brightly from the front desk, as only a retail drone can.

"Oh, I'm just looking," he said.

"Well, those are mostly for display, and not enchanted. The real inventory I can show you up front. Those prices are old."

"Oh, I see."

Nuru slowly wandered up to the front, watching the door out of the corner of his eye. There hadn't been enough movement to account for all the voices he'd heard; they must have gone back, or posted up on the street. The shopkeep pulled up his inventory on a magical scroll projection over the desk, which he could endlessly rotate, scan through, and inflate to read fine print within a box-shaped area.

"Special prices on the Blue Sun Fifth Anniversary event equipment, they were giving it away to members, and now we almost have to give it away as well."

"Mm. Minus one to MP cost. Not great."

"Actually sir, you being Level One that might not be a bad thing, especially if you've got any casts that run continuously. It's good for both one-time and persistent costs. Not that useful to Level Twenty and above, but if all you've got are 5MP skills, that'll add up quickly, especially those regens."

"OK, well, I don't have any skills that use MP currently."

/I do though./

"Quiet, you," Nuru muttered.

"You say something?" the shopkeep asked.

"Nah, just thinking out loud," he said.

"Well, let's see. I have to warn you, all this stuff is going to be melted down and repurposed if it doesn't sell, so now's the time. What's your class, may I ask?"

"Bard."

"Hmm, unusual. You've got a lot of passive options that could use this at higher levels. All those Level Two abilities would basically be free. Heck, I think half of them literally would be free, and the rest would be half-cost."

Well, now.

"How much did you say?"

"Ten of them for a hundred right now."

"I can't stack one on each finger. You know I've only got a few slots at this level."

"Alright, I can do one for twenty."

"Yeesh! Isn't it basically worthless to you? Why so much?"

"Look, I don't know if you know this, but the taxes are high. Guild leadership takes a percentage, and city permitting takes a percentage - soon enough, you get to where you're making no money. I basically can't afford to sell anything under twenty-five unless it's next to free, my cost."

"So that's why I hear so many complaints about loot bringing in so much less than its sale price."

"Exactly. I hate the system, but those are The Rules."

"So when you say 'melted down'..."

"I mean we throw it out back and the enchanters and smiths send their collectors by and pick through anything they think they can use. We strip the existing enchantments and make one-time scrolls out of them first, of course. Much less efficient given the resources to make the item originally, but you know what they say: waste not, want not."

"Huh. Always wondered where those random scrolls come from."

"Well, now you know. I mean enchanters make them too, but they hate doing something so frivolous with such powerful magic, even if it brings in more money with repeat sales."

"Alright, well - since it costs you nothing, could you hold one of those rings for me? Just for a week."

"Ehh, alright. Not like it's taking any real space in the warehouse dimension. Can't go lower than twenty for it though."

"Sure, got it."

Nuru went outside.

"There he is!" a guard called out. Others came running.

"Hold! State your name!"

"Nuru."

"Turn over the jackal at once!"

"Er... what?"

"You stole a jack-" one of the other guards whispered in his ear. "Lyena! Whatever! Return it at once!"

"I just did," Nuru said. "I haven't stolen it, I never left the jurisdiction."

"You have five seconds to comply, before we arrest you!"

"Hold on big fella, let's figure this out. I had a lyena earlier, and I returned it. I wanted to try it out, and you all were so generous to let me. I decided it's good, but not quite worth the money."

"Uh... warrant's still valid for your arrest. You'll have to come explain to the judge."

"So is there a lyena missing or what?" Nuru said. "You know I have a right to hear the accusation against me. It's The Rules."

"No, it's... uhm. It's the wrong one."

"Wait, you came out here all hot and heavy because you think the lyena got traded out for one just like it? Let me see that warrant," Obasi said.

"Give it a rest, Lekan, he's just a Level One. You think he could have charmed a beast with a spell in front of a whole crowd of people?" another guard said.

"Reports are, he did exactly that! Obasi, you weren't there. I saw him do it," Lekan said.

"Do what, exactly?" Nuru said.

"You - you... switched them! It's our prize combatant, all these people are here to see him fight and die in glorious combat. The one that's there now is old and lame."

"Injured, more like," one of the other guards said. "Not his fault if the demo didn't go the way it was supposed to. He stopped when they told him to. Besides, aren't they both banged up? What good does it do to make him trade back?"

"I told you, it's a familiar, and I can't trade it. I don't even have it anymore," Nuru said, bluffing for his life.

"This is a provisional warrant," Obasi said. "You are not required to bring him in if you have sufficient cause to believe him innocent. Well, I for one think he is."

"You weren't there," Lekan repeated, visibly starting to doubt. "Come on, what does it hurt to let a judge decide?"

"The healers will get it sorted out," the other guard said. "No harm done as far as I could see."

"Come on, this is not the way. False accusations only hurt our reputation. The recruiting team will have our hides if we jerk him around," Obasi said. "He's not aligned, think of the impression you're making on him right now."

Lekan took a deep breath, then blew it out noisily.

"Alright. I don't like it, but you're free to go. Let this be a lesson to you that justice is sacred to paladins. I trust that, if this is valuable to you too, you will appreciate our swift attention today. Let's go."

Nuru stood there another long minute, calming his nerves.

"Crap. The ward. Hey!" he called after the men. He broke into a run, using all his stamina, which wasn't saying much.

"Eh? What?" Obasi said as he finally caught up to them.

"There's a ward blocking my exit."

"Got places to be? It's hours before dark."

"Yeah, well, you know how long it takes me to kill anything at my level? I don't want to be out at the Necro Hour."

"True. Alright kid, I'll go ahead and expire it. You watch yourself now, ok?"

"Yeah. Thanks. Oh, I forgot something!"

Nuru dashed away, breathing hard as he skidded to a stop at the old well.

"Ward's down," he gasped out down the opening, then turned and fled back to the gate.

He was overusing his stamina, but he had to reach his home as quick as possible. The guards snickered as he struggled to stay on his feet on his way by and out. At least they had the decency to hide it.

*****

The sun was getting low by the time that Nuru reached his fenceline. The tournament was well under way by now; hopefully he wasn't too late. Jaheem could be fighting the champion any minute now. He moved into range of the wight and yelled at him to get his attention. The wight locked gaze with him but did not reach out; he was still sated for the time being. Peril was a defining condition of the IOU.

He heard a rumble behind him.

[If the wight does not kill you, I will. And I will be less merciful]

He turned and looked. The young lyena sat staring at him at the edge of the property.

"I helped you escape."

[You made my father take my place. He is old, and suffering age-related debuffs. You have left him there to his death]

"Not so. I have a plan."

[You are just like the others. You will use us for your own benefit, then cast us aside the moment payment is due]

"They promised you money?"

[Fame and all the EXP I could take. They did not mention that my life would be forfeit if I lost even once, and pitted me against overwhelming odds. The coming fight - my father will not survive, nor could I have. I will not have this chance to avenge him again. Only the invocation of this space as your home protects you. The moment you set one foot outside, you die]

"If this doesn't count as grave danger, I don't know what does," Nuru muttered.

He invoked the IOU. For a moment it seemed like nothing happened, but then he heard a noise behind him.

[Father!]

He turned. Nothing. He turned back - and now he could see, lying perfectly still on the ground was a dead lyena.

[He is not dead! Do not lay a finger or so help me I shall drag you by your leg and gnaw your bones for days!]

He rushed over, ignoring the young lyena. Jaheem was indeed clinging to life - he had 1 HP left.

"Jaheem! Do you hear me?"

Sigh.

[I hurt]

"Let me help you. What can I do?"

Chuff.

[A moment]

Jaheem used the Self Forgiveness feat, breathing with new life. He was back up to 10% HP now. After a few moments, he carefully stood and stretched.

The young feliform outside the plot was running in circles now, stopping and starting again, crying with excitement.

[It's you! It's you!]

[Yes, son. I am here. As are you]

[I tracked him here. He left you to die, father! I would have avenged you]

[I love you too, Tusa]

[Father, how are you on this land? I cannot enter]

[Nuru... you invoked the IOU, did you not?]

"Yes."

[Thus did you invite me to your home, and thus can I enter. Tusa, do not blame him for what he did. I asked him to do it]

[You asked him? But-]

[Tusa, I am old. What good is my life if not to spend how I wish? But you have your life ahead of you. You have yet to know the joy of raising cubs of your own]

[Father! Let us hunt as you promised me as a suckling! Let us find a kill and restore you to health!]

[In a moment, son. I have business yet with this human]

[The deal is done, humans are treacherous. Do not risk yourself again to no benefit!]

[Tusa, you have grown large, but not yet wise. I must teach you of pride, and honor. A deal kept may feed you a day, but a deal broken will steal the food from your mouth ten times longer. I owe this adventurer a debt of honor. He used the reward I offered to transport me back, knowing I could feel just as you do now, and leave him with nothing, or worse. But I will reward him all the more]

[You need not do this]

[No. But think, Tusa, if we do not form good relationships with the humans, who will we turn to when times are hard? We are not so beautiful as to naturally inspire trust. Our STR is naturally much higher than our CHA]

[Perhaps you are right. But how can we know such times are coming?]

[In a moment, I will explain the consequences of new Expansions. Nuru, I have much catching up to do. But I will give you this - you may call upon me for a moon. My son lives, and I have lived to rejoin him. I am grateful. I will not submit myself indefinitely; the value to me of this favor diminishes with time. Nevertheless, for a month, I am yours, as you need. You may notice, I do not simply come when called, but as a Beast Class I can be transported instantly to you. I cannot form a party to give you any EXP when I kill, but you may take the goods left behind. Give me one day to rest and recover]

He dropped another IOU, this one no longer a one-time. Transferable, even. Nuru wasn't sure what that was worth, but it was not inconsiderable. More than his debt to the bank, for sure. But he could use it to even better advantage, he thought.

"Rest well, then. I will see you soon."

Tusa ran in circles around Jaheem as the older lyena plodded along.

[How were you not killed, father?]

[I am old, Tusa, but I have learned many tricks. When I felt my life low enough, I bit my tongue just after the blow came, hoping I would not quite be dead, and used Fake Death. Falling on my side - human eyes are weaker, and cannot so easily see the signs, and let us not even speak of their ears, or their nose - I looked as they wished to see me; defeated, blood pouring from my mouth as if from a mighty hurt. They saw victory, and I left them no evidence to convince them otherwise...]

Nuru strained to listen as they walked away, but they spoke more quietly among themselves and, he hated to admit, his ears really weren't up to it.

The wight moaned, and Nuru jumped with fright.

"Gah! I forgot you were there," he said, brushing himself off. "Time to do a little more research."

*****

Nuru left the safety of his homestead and went back to town. He'd have to be quick, or the sun would go down, and he might have to dodge ghouls on his way back, although there wasn't likely to be anything more dangerous than a few giant mosquitos this close to town. Of course, the odd wight could be found, he supposed, but he'd had to go looking for it. No sense taking chances though.

So off he went, as quick as he could, to the inn. This time, he didn't look for any friends sitting at the tables, he boldly went over and sat at his own that had only one seat.

"Get you something?" the serving girl said, smiling vapidly.

"Pork roast," Nuru said, "and applesauce. And another chair."

"Friend coming? Would you like to order anything ahead for them?"

"I was hoping you'd join me."

"I'm working, sorry."

"Yes, very hard, I can see that. If you want to rest your legs a moment though, the offer stands."

"That's very sweet of you. I'll be right back."

She took his money, brought his food, and left his change on the table.

"This was for you," Nuru said, but she waved him away.

"We only take coin for goods at established prices. It's been made very clear to me that we simply can't make exceptions."

"Your time seems to be valuable, but - if you won't, then you won't. Thank you."

"Don't take this the wrong way, but I've had men start a transaction just the same way, only what they wanted wasn't for sale, if you catch my drift."

"All I want is to talk to you."

"Is that so? In exchange for what?"

A calculating awareness appeared in her eyes as a guarded expression came over her face. Nuru gestured at the coin again.

"I won't pay you to listen to me talk. My girlfriend will do that for free."

"I thought mine was the better offer. Suit yourself."

She blinked slowly.

"You'd seriously pay me... just to talk?"

"I like your voice. And I need to catch up on the goings-on hereabouts. Do you know the latest news?"

"Well... I suppose I can sit for a moment. We're not so busy just now."

"Yes, get a nice chair. Make sure it's not all wobbley, eh?"

"Customer's always right," she said, returning to her cheerful demeanor.

She came back with another chair.

"So. What is it you'd like to know?"

"Well, I'm composing a song. I need to know my audience."

"Oh, you're a bard? How lovely! But you haven't got an instrument."

"Not yet, no. But I figure if I've got some material, I'll sing for one for the carpenter."

"Pennywhistles are cheap, why my brother..."

She launched into a discussion of her family history, lost track of where she'd started, and went over the details of everyone in town.

"...so the pigs are healthy, but the chickens aren't doing so well, as you might expect."

"I imagine he's posted a quest to hunt that fox down, no?"

"Well of course, but he hasn't enough reward to interest anyone yet, even the Level Ones."

"Oi! Wench, I don't pay you to leak your bleedin' heart over the patrons!" the innkeep called over.

"Baako, he's trying to order a wine!"

"Well hurry up about it, tables need clearing!"

"You told me not to rush them, I'd lose the sale!"

"Bah, don't twist my words, girl! I'll take you over my knee like your pappy shoulda done. Leave him to think and he'll let you know when he decides."

She sighed. "I have to get back to it. Thank you for the break," she smiled.

"My pleasure," Nuru said, "Miss, uh..."

He tried to hand her the coin again, but she waved him away.

"Mesi."

"Good to see you, Mesi. I'll be back."

"I'll be here!"

Baako came over after a minute.

"I'm so sorry about that. She forgets herself, sometimes."

"Nothing to forgive," Nuru said. "She's a sight for sore eyes."

"Aye, she is that, or I'd have tossed her out years ago. Heaven knows what I'm going to do when she starts to sag."

"You'll be lucky if her heart hasn't been lifted by some passing thief long before then."

"In these parts? This town is full of two kinds of people: untested adventurers, and old farmers. No princes to tempt her away, and believe me, the rest have tried. She'll give up and marry an old deaf farm widower someday, after her childbearing years are long past, if even then. But I've no desire to assault your poor ears any further. Enjoy your night, sir."

A minute later, Mesi came back to the table. She placed a glass of wine in front of Nuru.

"Oh, well, sure. Uh..."

Nuru glanced down at the coin, still on the table, then looked back up at her. She shook her head slowly, teasing with a naughty grin.

"I heard what you said. It's on the house. Don't tell Baako I said so."

"Isn't he your boss? Doesn't he own this place?"

"That's why I said don't tell him!"

She winked, then sauntered away, giggling.

"I'll have to look her up later," Nuru said to himself, putting away the rest of the meal. "Not tonight though."

He'd picked out a few interesting tidbits that Mesi had dropped in the middle of conversation, and had a good idea of a few quests he might take on, unofficially. He went back and slept in his empty rabbit prarie, on the far end away from the wight. He slept well, for once.

*****

"So, one more day, and then it's time to go for real," Nuru said, stretching.

The wight was still standing there, apparently untired.

"I guess they sleep standing up. Or don't sleep at all."

He went back to town, and talked to the attendant at the magic shop.

"How much for scrolls?" Nuru said.

"Oh, well, we don't have much of that, but I can show you a few. The really good stuff is out in Faction territory. Brotherhood of Masego, you know them, they've got some good ones. 'Course, you'll pay through the nose for it if you can't be bothered to learn to cast yourself."

"I don't need so much. Just some simple things. Bolts, light ball, that kind of thing."

"Ah yes, good for you early adventurers, save your magic for those unexpected boss fights. Frankly I wouldn't stock them at all, nobody buys them, but the town charter requires that we keep any enchantments that come off the old equipment you adventurers discard at all levels, even though nobody stays Level One for more than five hours and your armor barely qualifies as such. The Rules, you know."

"Yes, yes. So, how much?"

"You know what. I've got a job you could do, score you store credit towards any dozen or so Fire Hand scrolls, maybe a few others you want. I make next to nothing on those, so really, you'd be doing me TWO favors accepting it as a quest reward."

"Oh? What do you need?"

"Go run this letter to the post office. I want to make sure it goes out today, but I can't leave during posted business hours. Regulations, you know. Guards catch this place unattended, they'll fine me something awful, and my wife is home with a sick baby today."

"That's easy enough. Back in a jiffy."

"Bless you, son."

A quick run to the post office later, and he left with as many Fire Hands, Snowballs, and Light Crystals as he could carry, along with a spare chest with a broken lock to carry it all in. He even got some Sigil Chalk that was old and no good for anything other than marking a path that glowed in the dark. A bunch of useless junk - unless you had no MP to spend on basic spells, and no weapon skills to speak of. He left the chest at his home turf, then went to the temple.