Best Friend's Sister Ch. 04

Story Info
All it took was a match to like the fire.
9.9k words
4.71
9.9k
11

Part 4 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 08/04/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DappeDave
DappeDave
102 Followers

Best Friend's Sister 4

Thanksgiving

My headlights swept around the turn and down the road. One-two-three-four houses. I pulled to the side of the road and parked. I sat for a moment and looked out the window at the house across the street. Lights were on all over and through the windows I could see people circulating. That would be John and Laurie, Wanda, Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, and a host of others from their extended family. It was a shame I couldn't stay.

John had told me they were sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner around 4:00, which was about an hour ago. I was late but I couldn't help it. I'd snuck out of the hospital and made the two-hour drive down. I'd barely be able to sit down. I had time to say hello, get a few hugs, inhale a piece of pie, then turn around and make the 90-mile trip back. Far too short a visit. But I had to stop by. Through all the uphill battles I faced, every stop here recharged my batteries and gave me hope I could survive what life seemed to continually toss at me.

I tried to pin down why I hesitated. Ah, that's it. I'd gone back to school at the end of October and an impulse made me turn south. I'm not exactly sure what my reasons were, but I somehow knew I needed to check in on Wanda, my little sister in all but name. I decided to show up and surprise her as opposed to just calling her to see how she was doing. It was a good thing I did. She'd been suffering but there was no-one she could confide in--not her mother, her father, or her brother. I guess my unique place as the so-called adopted son allowed me to play the role of confidant and confessor and she unburdened herself. It still hurt to think about the pain and fear she'd suffered and how helpless I felt when she told me. I mean, I did everything I could but I still felt it wasn't enough. I wanted to move the pain from her to me, which just wasn't possible. What can you do, when the people you love are hurt? I was there if she needed me. There wasn't much else I could do.

Growing up we'd never had much time to explore how we felt about each other. We simply never had any time alone. My visit was eye-opening, to put it mildly. Without realizing that all the barriers were gone--meaning her parents, her brother and mine, her home as well as mine, all my reservations--we were drawn together. I'd slipped up and shared all those thoughts and feelings I had for her, only to find out she'd had the same ones all along.

It'd been about a month since my visit, which gave me time to dwell on it and chew it to death. Maybe I was afraid of facing her parents. No, I think I was more nervous about facing her. I know I spent the last month overthinking what had happened. I had no clue to how she spent those four weeks nor what she thought of our passionate time together.

Alright, get it over with. I reached into the back of my car and pulled out one of Mom's apples pies. Up those three steps and I didn't even knock. I walked in and saw everyone sitting around a dining room table that had been extended as far as it could go. For a second I was able to stare at Wanda, well, her neck at least. I had walked in behind her as she sat at the table. The lines and curve of her neck captivated me as much as her lips did. Then reality popped that bubble.

'Damn! Who the hell is that?' My heart dropped like a stone to my feet. 'Who's this handsome devil sitting next to her? Damn. Not a complete surprise, is it? Of course not.' Not like I didn't think it might happen someday, one year, two, five. But already? How can a mind exist facing two such disparate realities? The pleasure I felt each time I saw her, in contrast to what seeing her with some other guy did to me.

There you go. Simple as that. It'll make it easier to get in and out and back on the road. John perked up. "Davie!" Everyone looked up and Wanda looked back at me with a tentative smile. I sent her a wink but I know my smile failed.

"Please don't get up." I said to the group at large. I got to Mr. Anderson before he could get up out of his chair. I got my hands on his shoulders and kept him in his seat. "Come on, Mr. Anderson. Please don't get up on my account. It's good to see you." I slid over to reach Mrs. Anderson and took her hand. She gave me a partial hug, more of a squeeze, due to the fact that I was kneeling down next to her. "It's good to see you, too." Then I placed a kiss on her cheek. I looked up at everyone. "Happy Thanksgiving." My eyes roamed down the table, resting on each face but really wanting to look at her.

"Please. David, sit down and join us."

"Davie, come down here. We can squeeze you in."

"Thank you. I appreciate it but I can't."

"David?" Wanda looked at me with . . . I couldn't tell what that expression was.

"You have to go? Can't you stay?" From Mrs. Anderson. "You're not just getting home, are you?"

"I guess you could say that. My grandfather came down with pneumonia last week. One of his lungs collapsed and the other one's struggling. He's up in Intensive Care at Christiana. I actually came home last Saturday but we hit the road as soon as I pulled up."

Mr. Anderson put a hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry to hear that. You know we'd like to you stay but I can tell you're worried about being so far away. I can see you're torn between staying and needing to go."

"That's it exactly. We stayed at his house all week and the cousins are starting to trickle in from New York. Too many visitors for the hospital and too many people at the house. I've been there all week, so I thought I'd get out the way so they could have their time with him."

"That was generous."

"Well, I guess so. I knew I had to come down here and see you all. I still got grief for leaving but I would've been sitting around there doing nothing anyway." I looked down the table but I really just wanted to look at her. I took in her face. What else could I do? God, I loved looking at her. Obviously the last four weeks had unfolded differently for her. I gave it up and let my eyes slide away. Then a damn tear leaked out of my eye.

"Look at you. Let me take care of that." As Mrs. Anderson took her napkin and wiped my cheek. "You must be tired if those are escaping. Please don't go yet. Let me fix you a plate you can take with you."

"Thank you. Go ahead and make sure to put some of those chitlins on it. I'll see if I can work up the nerve to try them again, just for you. I'll go and bother your children a bit."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hey, brother. Whatsup?" As I clamped a hand on John's shoulder and tried to squeeze into the seat.

"Hey, pal. Good to see you. Sorry to hear about your grandfather."

"Thanks, I appreciate it. It's been a long week. Maxine, good to see you as always." I placed a chaste kiss on her cheek. Why was it I spent all my time kissing the women in this family on the cheek? Was I being polite or did they just find it weird?

"Hold still, David." Then she reached up and wiped my eye, too! "You're still leaking."

I shook my head and looked down to hide my face. "Those tear-ducts were clogged up nice and tight until the last time my was mother was sick. Now they won't close up at all. Sometimes I don't even know it's happening."

"You're fine. Don't go all macho and act like it's a crime to let some tears out. Come on, hold still."

"Okay, okay. How is it the women in this family get under my skin so easily?"

"Stop. Maybe we're good for you, consider that. Or do you want to argue with me over that?"

I let out a brief laugh and sent a weary smile over to Wanda. "No, I wouldn't presume to do that. I know when I'm beaten. Come on, stop." Gently I caught her hand and gave it back to her.

I turned to John "You must be made of steel, then."

"No, not really. I think you've been through a bit too much, especially this week."

"Yeah, no doubt. I'm ready to go back to school, that's for sure. So tell me, John. Who are all these people? Every time I show up for dinner I meet a whole new branch of your family. Who's this babe?"

"That's my sister Wanda. Don't worry about her. She's a lot of trouble but whatever you do, don't let her get under your skin."

"I think it's too late for that. She does look like a pain in . . ."

"Don't you say it!"

"Jeez, David. You got her angry. You see why we only give her a plastic spoon? You know what's she like when she's grumpy."

"Why does it feel so good to aggravate her?"

"Don't overthink it. Just enjoy the feeling."

She gave me her patented stink eye and leaned over to whisper. "Paybacks are hell, you know that?"

Finally, my smiled reached my eyes. "Uh huh. Bring it on, Queen of Denial." I smiled more in this house than my own, even with this good-looking guy sitting next to her. And if he made her happy, well what could I say? I simply wasn't a vindictive sort of person. Not like we exchanged vows or gave her my school ring, anything like that. I guess it had been just talk. In the end maybe all we did was snuggle, as wonderful as it was. I wondered if I'd be able to get my heart back.

"Oh, you'll be sorry you said that."

"Davie, you like playing with fire, don't you?"

I looked at Wanda's face, into those deep brown eyes, which always captivated me. "You know I do. She doesn't scare me."

"You'll see." Then she stuck her tongue out at me.

Damn! My eyes locked on her tongue as it darted out and my face flushed red. My body remembered what her tongue felt like running down my neck and my imagination took over, quick as that. My eyes opened wide and a very noticeable shiver went through me. Involuntarily I took in a breath. Her eyes flashed in amusement and she let out a smirk. Then she slipped it out just a little and ran it along her upper lip. Again! My eyes opened even wider! Damn her for being so sexy. "So easy."

There you go. Quick as that she was past my defenses. I had to turn away or I'd turn into a puddle of goo. I turned toward John just as he piped in. "Sure, Sure. Pet the tiger. What could go wrong?"

"Thank you, John." I said with exasperation. "So glad you were always there to pull my head out of the toilet when I got it stuck." I turned back, avoiding her altogether, leaned across the table and held my hand out. "Hey. I'm David. Sorta like a stray dog they can't get rid of."

"Hi, I'm Kenny. We've met before but I think I was five or six at the time."

"Wow, I take it you've grown a bit since then." I said with an almost-sincere smile. "Did you end going to school around here? Are you going to Salisbury or somewhere across the Bay?" The probing question nagged at Wanda's subconscious briefly.

John piped in. "You would think so, wouldn't you? Tall enough, isn't he?"

"I bet he's taller than you are."

"By about an inch. He's in the middle of his junior year at high school and still has a year to go. He plays football, basketball, and baseball and his grades are through the roof. I'm trying to get him to take a look at Salisbury before he goes home. They'll snap him up in a heartbeat, won't they?"

"No doubt about it. Good for you, Kenny. That's impressive. I love hearing success stories. It'll be great to keep an eye on you as you head into college. Even better to see you on TV someday. No pressure, huh?"

"Yeah, no pressure. All of you make it seem like it's all fun and games but it's a lot of hard work. I'm glad my mother has my back but she can be a taskmaster."

The tension I didn't know I had melted away. Suddenly my smile didn't feel so forced. "So, where's the rest of your family?"

Maxine jabbed in my arm. "Don't pick on my son."

"Really? He's a handsome devil, isn't he? Look, I made him blush. Nice to have someone else here to pick on instead of me." She poked me again. "Hey! What is it about the women in this family? Always poking me. Did you give Wanda lessons, too?"

"If I can't reach you, she does it for me."

"That doesn't surprise me. How efficient."

"You know, Davie. I think that's why you're here. I just toss you in front of her, then she leaves me alone. You're here to run interference."

"Good for you, John. You've only been doing that for fifteen years. The last scratches she gave me haven't healed up yet."

"You'd . ."

"Peace, girl. Peace. I surrender." I kept one eye on Wanda but turned to her aunt. "Maxine, where do you live? Every year they leave me here with all the nut jobs and go to SC. Is that where you live?"

"That's where we live. We don't make it up here enough."

"Is it nice down there? I still have no clue what they do down there."

Maxine shared some of the memories. "It's pretty nice. A lot of family get togethers, big cookouts, sitting out under the oak trees, revivals, singing. Usually about thirty or forty family members show up."

"Sounds pretty nice. So if I showed up what would happen?"

"We'd have to lock you up with Laurie."

I had to laugh at that. "How rude."

"Wanda, I can't believe you said that." John said with quite a bit of exasperation.

I turned to John. "No evil white people? Like here?"

"David. There are . . . always bad apples wherever you travel. That'll be my answer and let's leave it at that."

Thankfully Maxine steered the conversation in a different direction. "David, what's going on with your grandfather?"

"Ah, he's been in the ICU all week. My father and my aunt are meeting with the doctors tomorrow to go over how he's doing. He's been on a ventilator most of the week and they're trying to get his lungs up to speed. He's going through some serious withdrawal. He started smoking when he was ten and until last week he was smoking two packs a day."

"That doesn't sound good."

"No, not at all. I can still picture him carving the Christmas Turkey with that cigarette hanging out of his mouth. I remember having to wipe the ashes off my food. Blech! He was living by himself until this happened but I don't think anyone thinks he'll be able to go home. They're talking about getting him brought down here to Corsica Hills but he has to be healthy enough to travel. I came down here to see you guys but I did have to stop at the house to pick up some vice grips."

"Oh." A sigh left John's mouth.

"John." I said with a frown. "Why do you always make that sound?"

"It usually when you're going to tell me something I know I don't want to hear." There was John, being all psychic like his mother. He had too many experiences with family to know this wasn't going to be a story about fairies, rainbows, or heavenly choirs. Plus he didn't hear a bit of my usual tongue-in-cheek in my voice. "Okay, Davie. Tell us. Why do you need the vice grips?"

I wasn't amused by the circumstances, so I didn't have a smile to go with the story. "Pop-pop was born in 1900. That's a long long time ago. He grew up in a town at the top of the Bay called North East. Dirt roads and Model Ts, no highways, no phones, maybe not even electricity. Heck, he said he used a horse to get around when he was growing up. He lived through WW1, the Depression, WW2, the Fifties and Sixties. Started smoking when he was a kid and never stopped."

"Think about what it was like back then and how he was probably brought up. I love him, he's family and all that, but he's just . . from another era, simple as that. But I tell you what. I'm taking those vice grips back to the hospital and the next time he says the 'N" word one more time, I gonna clamp those pliers on his tongue until no-one will ever get them off. Oh, I know they'll get them off eventually but I'm ready. I'm taking an extra pair with me and I'm going to pull my chair right up next to his bed. The next time he slips up and says that word again, I'm gonna take the other pair out and wave them in front of his face. I hope that will make him stop and think, the old coot. 83 years too late. We'll see if I can't teach him something new."

John was shaking his head and so was Maxine. Kenny was sitting there with his eyes open wide. Bet he'd never been in a conversation like this one. No help there. I finally looked at Wanda.

"Well? Don't hold back now. Tell me if I'm right or I'm wrong or I'm an idiot. Something."

She started laughing, trying to be quiet about it. "Wanda." Maxine said, in quiet admonition.

"Come on, Aunt Maxine. That is so him, you know that. He sits here at this table, every holiday, and cares about each and every one of us, as much a part of our family as anyone else sitting here. How can you not appreciate him for who he is and wonder how he ended up the way he is, while growing up in a family like that? David, I love you. We all do, simple as that. Do you know how unique and how special you are?"

She still loved me? I ended up blushing completely. Mrs. Anderson set a plate in front of me covered in syran wrap. "She's a 100% right. You've turned out remarkably well." as she wrapped an arm around my shoulder and put her cheek on mine. That's where Wanda picked up that habit.

I patted her arm and rubbed an eye, since it was leaking. She said she still loves me. I tried to salvage my dignity or at least my sense of humor. "So I'm allowed to come back and visit?"

John clapped a hand on my shoulder. "Yes, I think you can come back and visit. Don't worry about them. I'll let you in."

I looked back up at his mother. "John said it'd be okay if I slept in the basement."

"Please, the basement? I'm sure we could . . ."

John leaped in there before the conversation gathered any steam. "No, no, Mother. We had that conversation already. We both agreed the basement would probably be the best alternative for everyone. Or the doghouse."

He and I burst out laughing. "Thank you, John. That felt good. I needed that." I pushed my chair back. "I've been here long enough and I've got to get going. You're welcome to share that conversation with them. I don't think I'd have the nerve to talk about it." I looked at Wanda with amusement, since most of the story involved her, she just didn't know it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I got up and took my plate with me. I reached across the table and gave Kenny a handshake and wished him luck. "Good luck, Kenny. If there's any way I can help, give me a call. Or give John a call and he'll get me on board." He looked surprised at the offer but the smile he gave me couldn't have been more sincere. "Thank you." "You're welcome. You can never have enough friends, that's my belief."

I gave Maxine a kiss on the cheek and said goodbye. "Thank you for that, David." "You're welcome. Anytime, you know that." I gave Mrs. Anderson a hug and a kiss, too, and thanked her for the food. She pointed out the chitlins on the plate. I crossed my heart and all that. "Okay, just for you. I promise to eat them all gone, okay? Thank you. I knew coming here would cheer me up."

"I'm glad you had time to visit. You even made Wanda smile and she didn't have a smile until you got here. Thank you for that."

"How do I say this?" Shyly I told her, "I finally realized that . . nothing makes happier . . . than to see Wanda happy and see her smile."

"Oh, David, I knew that already. Tell me something I don't know."

"You are something, you know that? I'll try to call when we've figure out what's going on. Can I ask you and your husband a favor?"

"Anything, David."

"When I come back for Christmas Break, can I pick her up from school?"

"I think that should be okay. I'll bring it up with John Senior and he'll let you know. Have a safe trip, okay?"

"I will, thank you."

"Davie, what are you whispering about?"

"Nosy. It's secret stuff. She says she's going to put you in the basement and I get your room. Or you have to go stay with my family to give me a break."

"Oh. Sorry I asked."

I made it over to Mr. Anderson at the top of the table. "Did you hear any of that conversation down there? I was trying to be quiet about it."

DappeDave
DappeDave
102 Followers