Best Friend's Sister Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Ooh, can I take my question back?"

"What do you think, Wanda? Let him off the hook?"

"I want to know why he wants to retract his question. Maybe he's afraid we might have something to say about his choice in women?"

"Alright, John. I'll let you off the hook. I know none of the men in my family are rational where women are concerned. Let alone listen to advice when we're uh . . you know . . courting. That's the word I was looking for. I think it might be better if we let it go."

"Davie, you are a wise man. Yes, it was better to just stay out of your way when you were courting, if that's what you want to you call it. Like staying out of the pasture when the bulls are worked up."

Way too many people got laugh out of that and I looked at Wanda. That was the old David. I certainly didn't want to disappoint her. She had a smile on her face but she wasn't on the floor, laughing her head off.

"You used to be a pretty nice guy, John, you know that? Where did you get this evil streak from?"

Wanda burst out laughing. "Why is that funny?"

"If he's got a terrible sense of humor, it's because of you."

Even Maxine had to laugh out loud at that because it was so true. "She's got you there."

"Thank you for that bit of clarity, Wanda. You're the cold stark voice of reality, aren't you? You're the one that always yanked the beard off Santa's face, weren't you?"

"Did not!"

"Yes, she did!" said John.

"Wait, Santa wasn't real?" As Kenny pitched in with a face he was trying to keep serious but was failing at.

"Kenny, don't you let them influence you." as Maxine turned a frown on him.

I burst out laughing at his perfect timing. He ended up with a grin on his face and John and Wanda ended up laughing out loud. "God, Kenny. Thank you for that. That was perfect, it truly was." As I wiped the tears from eyes. "If we could only get Maxine to develop a sense of humor."

"Wanda?" Wanda pried her fingers lose and poked me in the ribs a couple times. Maxine wrapped it up with, "If you three are going corrupt my baby, we're going to have to leave."

"Calm down, Maxine. I'm leaving soon. When I go, everything calms down and respectability is restored. That's why they only let me visit once a month. Too much disruption, I think."

"Wheww! So except for one phone call where I got a tongue lashing from my mother, it's been great to be here. You all recharge my batteries, you know that? Times up, though, so I guess I need to hit the road. Please, don't get up. Let me sneak out the way I snuck in. Take care, everyone." I slid my chair back and got up. One last thing to irritate Wanda, I let my hand run over her head and messed her hair up.

"Stop! Can you go already?"

"I'll give you guys a call. Have a good evening." And with that I snuck out the door.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I made it to the car and tossed the food in. Put on my seat belt and got the motor going. Just in time for Wanda to jump into the passenger seat. "Can I do something for you, Ms. Anderson?"

"Take me with you."

"Please. Any day of the year except this one. Not for all the money in the world, not for a million of those kisses that take my breath away, not for the chance to make love to you right this second or every day for the next month, not for the chance to kiss every inch of your neck, or to look at you for hours and drown in those beautiful eyes of yours. Wheww. Got myself worked up there. Whatever you do, don't touch me."

She ran her hand along my thigh, up and back, up and back, down a little more. "Why would that be a problem?"

"I clamped my hand down on hers and moved it over to her leg. "Wanda, I gotta go. There's no way I'd take you up into that nest of hypocrites and closet racists. Why would I do that to you? I love you too much to even consider it. I know we both hoped there would be more time to hang out. Yes, I'm seriously worked and it's all your fault but I'm just starting to think of things I want to do with you. Okay? Taking you up there is definitely not one of them."

"Well, I'm going to miss you, like I always do."

"So will I. I need to get through this and get it over with. I know it's not going to end well. If I know you're down here safe, it will be one less thing to worry about. Despite where I'm going, I'm sure I'll spend more time thinking about you then the mess that's waiting for me. Okay? Do you understand what I'm trying to say! I'm not even sure I know what I mean."

"I think you don't want me to meet your family."

"Wanda, that's not it."

"Believe me, I understand completely."

"No, I not sure you do. When I pulled up to your school I had no clue what was going to happen. It took all night to wear down those barriers that had been up for so long but everything we shared was, like I said, exquisite. I spent four weeks thinking about you and by the time I pulled up here today I . . I knew I missed you terribly." I took in a deep breath, trying to decide what to say. "I can't picture my life without you next to me and but it doesn't mean I want to expose you to my family."

"David, I told you I understand."

"Oh. Are you sure? I just didn't want you think I was ashamed of introducing you to my family. Totally the opposite. I'm more ashamed of introducing them to you. Heck, I don't want to spend any more time with them than I have to, especially now that I've a taste of what it feels like to be happy."

"Well, my darling. Are you better for having me in your life or am I just a distraction? Would you do anything for me or am I just a bit of dessert when we hook up?"

"Wanda? Really!? You know I'd do anything for you. How can you say that?"

"Let's see if I can wrap this up so you can go. So, you'd anything for me, right? I think you would." I nodded my head up and down. "Don't you think I'd do anything for you?"

I let out a deep sigh. "Yes, you would. I can see where you're going. Yes, I think you'd do anything for me, too. It's a losing battle, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is. So, you know I'd do anything for you. That means I'd even go home with you and meet your family and sit down to dinner with them and suffer alongside you and try not to strangle your father. You can't keep me locked up and safe and only bring me out during the good times. I make my own choices about where I go and who I'll see. And yes, I love being by your side. But that means during the good times and bad."

"Go on, time to go. It looks like you're thinking and need some alone time. That's why I think she wasn't any good for you. She didn't spend any time worrying about you or trying to make you happy."

"Alright, sweetness. I hear you. Please go in and try to have a relatively calm rest of your Thanksgiving and have a piece of pie for me." I leaned over and put a soft but loving kiss on her lips. My hand reached up to her face, touched her cheek, my thumb kissing her.

"I know, I can see it in your eyes. Call us if we can help in any way. Drive carefully." She gave me a quick butterfly kiss and then she was gone. I backed up out of the driveway and drove away. I brought out a nasty cigarillo and lit up it. The terrible taste in my mouth prepared me for what was waiting at the end of my trip.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Wanda walked back into the house and sat down. Everyone had moved onto dessert and things had settled down. Everyone looked up when she walked in but surprisingly they didn't barrage her with questions. They gave her time to gather her thoughts and share what she wanted.

Mr. Anderson quietly asked. "Wanda. He wasn't going to let you go with him, you know that?" Her mouth dropped open. "Come on, Wanda. I know both you and John would've gone if he'd asked you to. I'm pretty sure he's not looking forward to the next couple of days. I know he didn't want either of you to go through that, too."

"Sometimes he's so . . solitary. Like he thinks there's no other option except to face everything alone. That's not right."

"Yes, I agree. It shouldn't be like that but I don't think he was ever given a choice in the matter. Let me see if I can explain how I see his family. This is for me as much as it is for you. . . . Say his family is out boating and then they have an accident and the boat sinks. Everyone's in the water trying to survive. David, his brother, sister, and his mother are all out there, treading water and trying to stay afloat. Meanwhile their father makes it to a lifeboat. Slowly their energy runs out and they can barely keep swimming. Over time they drift further apart until each one is alone and isolated until they can barely take care of themselves and certainly can't help each other. And there's their father in the lifeboat, who's decided to think only of himself and heads off without a look back."

"Wow, Daddy. That is . . honestly disturbing. I hope it isn't true."

"Yes, he deserves better than that. I don't know what to tell you. It's not like you can be there for him every day and hold his hand."

"Sorry, that's where I'll be as soon as he gets back." As she looked at them defiantly.

Alot of eyebrows went up at that statement but she didn't see much surprise in either her father's face nor her mother's.

Mrs. Anderson got the first word in. "Wanda, it doesn't look like you're all that sorry."

Mr. Anderson looked at this wife. "Not like we didn't expect it to happen sooner or later, did we? Okay, Wanda. Tomorrow you need to have a chat with your mother. If she's needs my input, then I'll become involved."

Wanda looked around in confusion. She thought she'd get a lot more grief once she dug her heals in. John got up and went around to her. He leaned down and placed a kiss on her cheek. "Don't worry, I've got your back. Even if it did surprise the heck out of me. I knew he loved you. I've seen it for a long . . long . . long . ."

She tried to give him a push. "Okay, John. You can stop. I think I got your point."

"Time for cleanup." Mrs. Anderson hopped up. It was time to take care of the dishes and pack up the leftovers. Wanda went into the kitchen to help and ended up next to her mother. Mrs. Anderson wrapped an arm around her and put a kiss on her cheek. "I'm sorry, Wanda."

"Sorry? Why are you sorry?"

"I know my kiss just doesn't make your heart flutter or take your breath away, does it?"

"Mother! Really?" As she turned bright red, since her mother hit the nail right on the head.

"Did you see how red David was when you came back from that phone call? Your kisses must be pretty nice, too."

Wanda covered her face and pressed her face into her mother's shoulder in complete embarrassment.

John came in with some dishes. "Mother, did you make Wanda cry? Wanda, are you okay?"

"Do you want me to answer for you, sweetie?"

"Both of you go away."

"That's the grumpy sister I know and love. You must be okay. You're the one in the middle of the kitchen, Wanda. That means you're the one in the way."