Best of Castle Pt. 12

Story Info
Rick & Serena, Rick finds out Kate knew. He takes Alexis.
13.6k words
4.81
1.7k
7
1
Story does not have any tags

Part 12 of the 14 part series

Updated 04/09/2024
Created 06/09/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
baranbrat
baranbrat
1,215 Followers

Author's note. The first episode is tame, explaining what happened to Beckett after her shooting.

Second Very important note to readers. With the beginning of this season. It is a reset. All previous sexual encounters with Beckett are erased.

Seeing they finally do it at the end of this season, leading up to is is the frustrations they both experience leading up to episode 23

Season 4 Episode 1

After Beckett was shot, they raced her into surgery. Her heart stopped, but they managed to resuscitate her. Josh was there to operate on her. He was pushed aside when another surgeon came to take over.

Josh came out and rushed over to Castle. Josh slammed Castle against the wall, "I saw the flash and I tried to get to her."

Martha, who was there in the waiting room screamed at Josh, "What the hell do you think..."

Josh blurted out, "You did this! This is your fault! You pushed her into looking into her mother;s murder. She was shot because of you, and Montgomery is dead because of you!"

Alexis stopped him, protecting her father, "Leave him alone you mother fucker!"

Kate's father stepped in too, "STOP IT! Stop it, all of you, just stop it! I won't have you acting like three-year-old while my daughter's fighting for her life."

Castle took a step back as Alexis hugged him, "He's right, you know? This is my fault."

Martha grabbed hold of him, "Richard Castle,. don't you dare blame yourself."

Josh walked away and she added, "You are not the one who shot her."

He turned to her, "No, but I put her in the cross-hairs. I told her how I felt. I told her that I loved her."

After hours of operating, the surgeon came out, "Mr. Beckett?" Jim stood, "Yes?" He continued, "Your daughter is out of surgery."

"Will she be all right?"

"Well, during the surgery, she experienced cardiac arrest. Now, we were able to get her heart beating again on its own, but we'll need to watch her very closely. You should all go home and get some rest."

Javi, Kevin and Castle were not going home. They were bound and determined to catch the son-of-a-bitch who shot her.

After all they did, they came up empty. The shooter was in the wind.

She was supposed to be safe, but Smith didn't get the file on the corrupt politician until after she was shot.

Smith reviewed the file and made the call. He held it over the politician and from that point on, Kate was safe, as long as she stood down and didn't investigate the murder of her mother any further.

Castle worked the night in the precinct and woke up. His phone went off and he answered it, "Okay, are you sure?" He hurried home, freshened up, and changed. He rushed to the hospital with flowers. He opened the door, but found Josh at her side.

She looked like hell, but she was alive, She smiled at him, "Hey, Castle."

Josh stood up, "I'll see you after rounds." As he walked out, he gave Castle the evil-eye.

Castle came over to her, "Hey."

"She replied, "You're staring at me. I must look really bad."

"No, I just never thought I'd see you again." He looked around the room, "I heard you were opening a flower shop, so I thought I'd pitch in." He took a seat beside her.

"They were all here when I woke up. I think they're mostly from the precinct. I don't think I'm going to live this one down, Castle."

"Oh, probably not." He stared at her, looking at her.

She wet her lips, "I heard you tried to save me."

"Yeah, I... " He stared at her, "You heard? You don't remember me tackling you?"

She looked down, "No, I don't remember much of anything. I remember that I was on the podium, and then I remember everything just going black."

He pressed on, "You don't remember.... the gunshot."

She stared back at him, holding back everything she really knew, "No. They say that there are some things that are better not being remembered."

He stared at her, "Yeah."

"I keep seeing his face, Castle. Every time I close my eyes, I see Montgomery lying on the hanger floor. You should've let me go in there."

"They would have killed you"

She shook her head, "You don't know that."

"Kate.... "

"Castle, I'm really tired right now."

He was upset, but held it back, "Of course." He got up, "Of course. We'll talk tomorrow."

As he walked towards the door, she replied, "Do you mind if we don't?" He turned back towards her, "I just need a little bit of time."

He nodded, "Sure, sure, how much time?":

"I'll call you, okay?"

He gave her a weak smile, "Sure." He walked to the door and left.

After three months, Beckett returned to duty. She spent her time at her father's cabin, going crazy listening to crickets. She looked to Ryan and Esposito, "So, anything?"

Kevin replied, "Still nowhere."

Javi added, "We did get DNA off the weapon, but there were no matches in the system. We flagged it though."

Kevin spoke up, "But didn't Castle tell you about all this?"

She shook her head, "No."

Javi was confused, "That's weird. Why wouldn't he...Why would he hide that from you?"

"He's not hiding anything. I just haven't seen him in a while."

"How long is a while?"

"She was shaken, "Pretty much since the shooting."

Kevin pressed on, "Why? What happened?"

"Nothing happened. I just needed some time."

Esposito wouldn't let it go, "What, he left you alone for three months?"

"You guys, it wasn't his fault. I told him that I would call."

"Why didn't you? He was here with us every day, working the case."

Javi added, "For months! We'd still be here if the new captain hadn't kicked him to the curb."

She was stunned, "She kicked him out, why?"

Kevin spoke up, "Apparently, her precinct's got no room for a dilettante writer playing cop. Captain Victoria Gate, aka Iron Gates! As by-the-book as they come. She cut her teeth as a detective with Internal Affairs."

Kate saw her in her office, "Wow, that's not going to win her any popularity points."

Javi added, "One thing is for sure, she's no Montgomery."

Kate went into the captain's office and knocked, "Ma'am..."

Gates replied, "If my mother drops by, you can call her "Ma'am." Call me "sir" or Captain."

She entered, "Detective Beckett, I'm back on active as of today."

She looked at Kate, "Detective Beckett, Your reputation precedes you. Youngest woman in the NYPD to make detective. You beat me by six weeks. Looks like you passed your psych evaluation so, welcome back." She handed Kate her badge.

"Thank you, I'll also need my gun."

Gates sat down, "Not until you re-qualify."

"I'm sorry?"

"You were on disability for three months. Regulations say you don't get your piece back until you re-qualify."

She nodded, "And what about my case? What do regulations say about that?"

"Three months and no leads, and every day more homicides coming through that door? How long did you expect me to let those folds tread water? There were good people on this case. There just isn't anything out... "

Kate cut her off, "I'm sorry, sir, but with all due respect, those people aren't me."

Gates stared up at her, "Excuse me?"

"The people that you had working the case, they're not me."

"Look, I don't know what kind of shop Montgomery was running here, but it'll be a cold day in hell if I let a cop, any cop, investigate their own shooting. My precinct is no place for vendettas. Do we understand each other?"

She didn't reply, she just left her office. She walked past the two guys, "I WANT MY FUCKING GUN!"

Castle was at a book store, signing copies of his newest novel, Heat Rises. There was a long line and he continued to sign them. "Who should I make this one out to?"

She replied, "Kate."

He looked up at her and just stared, "You can make it out to Kate."

After he finished with the signings he met his fans outside the bookstore, "Thank you very much. He turned to the owner of the store, "Thank you very much for your hard work."

Castle replied, "Next time I write a book, I'll be sure to come by." He continued shaking hands and at the end of the line was Kate. He saw her and paused and walked past her, ignoring her.

She hurried after him, "Castle,. wait."

He growled out, "I did. Three months. You never called."

"Look, I know you're angry... "

He turned and cut her off, "You're damn right I'm angry. I watched you die in that ambulance, Did you know that?! You know what that's like, watching the life drain out of someone you.... Someone you care about?"

She bit her lip, "I told you, I needed some time."

"You said a few days."

Meekly she replied, "I needed more."

He blurted out, "Well, you should have said that." He turned and walked away."

She raced after him, "Castle, look, I couldn't call you. Okay? Not without dragging myself into everything that I was just trying to get some space from. I needed some time to just work through everything."

He glared at her as she spoke. "Josh help you with that?"

She paused, "We broke up." She turned and walked away.

They met up again at the swings and she opened the book he signed for her, "I like the dedication."

He was still upset, "It seemed right."

"Must have been hard writing that ending."

He refused looking at her, "Yeah. Yeah, given the circumstances, yeah." He paused again, "So why'd you guys break up?"

"I really, really liked him. But that wasn't enough. After my mother was killed something inside me changed. It's like I built up this wall inside. I don't know, I guess I just didn't want hurt like that again. I know I'm not gonna be able to be the kind of person that I want to be. I know I'm not gonna... I not gonna be able to have the kind of relationship that I want until that wall comes down. And it's not gonna happen till I put this thing to rest."

He saw she was hurting,. but he was still upset, "Well, then I suppose we're just gonna have to find those guys and take them down. Doesn't mean I'm not still mad."

"The boys told me about what you did, following the money trail, trying to track down who the cops paid off."

"I just wish it led somewhere. I mean, I copied the files. When the bank closed, the took all the old account paperwork and stored it in a warehouse in Union City. But a couple years after the move, a fire broke out and the files were destroyed. It's just another dead end."

"How's it happen?"

It was an accident, it was old wiring."

We need to read that report. It's just there's this one problem."

"What?"

"How are you gonna help if Gates kicked you out?"

"I only let her kick me out because there was no reason to stay."

She was bating him, "Oh"

"She'll take me back"

Back at the precinct, Gates was on the phone, "Yes, Mr. Mayor, Yes, sir. I understand. Okay, I..." Before she could talk any more the line went dead. Standing before her were Kate and Rick. Rick smiled at Kate. He looked back at Gates.

Gates sat back, "You think you're clever, Mr. Castle? Going around my back like that? Well, let me tell you the score. I don't care how powerful your friends are. You screw up at all on my watch, and I'll prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law. You understand me?"

He held back his smile, "Yes, ma'am.

""Sir, now get out of my office."

He walked out and Kate was smiling. She turned back and looked at Gates, "Yes?"

"You or that pal there embarrass me like that again, I will bury you."

"Yes, sir. Now," She stepped up to her desk and handed her the target from her qualification, "If you don't mind, I'd like my gun back." She slammed the targets on her desk.

Gates looked at the target, all the shots were in the middle of the target. She looked back at Kate and Kate left the office with her gun. She stopped before Castle, "Showing her up with the mayor? You might as well have beaten a beehive with a bat."

He chucked, "It worked, didn't it? Beside, it sure was great seeing her face twitch like that."

The investigation of the fire went nowhere. And Kate was upset that once again she hit a dead end.

Smith contacted Castle when he caught wind of Kate beginning the investigation once again,"I'm a friend of Roy Montgomery. It concerns Kate Beckett, we need to talk." Smith gave him the details about the files he possessed. The conditions were that Kate was to stay clear of the investigation and she would be save, as would be Montgomery's family. If she goes after them, he can't guarantee her safety. If she digs, they will kill her."

Castle convinced her to slow down and take a break. "We'll figure it out. That wall inside? It won't be there forever."

After the case was close, Kate returned to the psychiatrist for a follow-up visit. "You're probably surprised to see me back here. I bet most cops never come back after they pass their psych evaluation."

Dr. Burke replied, "Everyone's different."

She hugged her knees to her chest, "Yeah"

"What's on your mind, Kate?"

She shook her head, "I don't even know where to start."

"Well, why don't we start at the shooting? Is any of it coming back to you?"

She licked her lips, "I lied, before."

"Well, what do you remember?"

"I remember everything."

If Castle knew this, it would be a deal breaker and he wouldn't ever be able to forgive her.,

Season 4 Episode 5

There was a murder at a museum gala opening of a new exhibit. It was Bryan Hayes, executive director of the museum. He was used as a human pincushion. Several swords shoved through his body all at once. A fifty million dollar piece was stolen in the process.

While they were going over ways the art was stolen, another woman entered and spoke up, "What you were implying is unlikely. All arriving guests were screened at two security checkpoints, and then greeted by board members who knew them personally." She walked around the room, "Odds are, the thief came in through the roof. An air vent, probably and then disabled the alarms."

Beckett came over to her, "I'm sorry, who are you?"

"I'm Serena Kaye (Kristen Lehman), the museum's insurance investigator."

Kate pressured her, "So, if the thief got in through the vent, how did they get out?"

"Through the loading dock. The guards there checked everyone entering, but didn't check people leaving. Plus, the bay was full of catering vans. He could've had one waiting for him, and just blended right in."

Castle turned to Kate, "Oh, she's good."

Kate rolled her eyes, "At theory, but what about proof?"

Serena looked to Kate, "I don't need proof to know I'm right. It's my job. And I can help you with yours."

"How so?"

"I get a 1% finders fee for recovering stolen objects. I want that "Fist", you want your murdered. We have common goals. I could consult on your case and share my insight"

Castle stepped in, "You know, that is an intriguing idea."

Kate stopped him, "No, thank you. That won't be necessary"

Selena shrugged, "Well, can't blame a girl for trying. Mr Castle. Detective Beckett."

Rick watched her walk away and couldn't take his eyes off the way her ass moved in that tight dress she was wearing. He turned back to Beckett, "You know, we really could've used her. She has valuable assets." He saw her roll her eyes, "Not those kind."

"Castle, she'd just get in the way."

"Really? And what if she's on to something?"

Once back at the precinct, Gates called Beckett into her office. When she got there Gates turned to her, "Detective, I believe you've met Serena Kaye?"

Serena smiled at Kate, "Hello again."

"What are you doing here?"

Gates closed the door, "Ms. Kaye has presented me with a very compelling proposal"

"Yeah, I am familiar with her proposal."

"Difference is, I like what I heard. She has expertise, which she can bring as a consultant on this case."

"Sir, I prefer working with my team."

"Which includes consultant with no expertise at anything. Serena will be a value-add, for a change."

Serena stood, "I look forward to working with you."

Beckett stormed out and Serena followed, "I will give you this, you've got some gigantic balls."

She scoffed, "What I said about the thief, did I turn out to be right?" She saw no response from Kate, but knew she was right, "I'm about results, Detective. This is the best way for both of us to get what we want. Think of it as a merger."

With venom in her voice, Kate responded, "More like a hostile takeover. I'll have Detective Ryan bring you up top speed."

There was a piece of equipment used to bypass security system. Serena knew of it. It was custom made and she knew who took the Fist. She said it was Falco.

Serena said he was good and was never caught or even photographed. She turned to Kate, "Now that we have some direction, I can get us some leads."

Kate stood up, "Great, let's go."

Serena turned back to her, "You can't come. The people there won't talk to cops, but they'll talk to me."

She left and Castle got up to follow her, "Where are you going?"

He looked at Kate, "I'm not a cop, either. So...."

Kate was pissed, "Fine." He left to follow Serena.

They were at a bar and Serena sipped her drink, "You're an interesting man, Mr. Castle. Crime fighter by day, mystery writer by night."

"You are pretty interesting yourself. So, are we meeting a secret informant?"

She stared at him. It was easy to see she was attracted to him. She wasn't bad herself. She had dirty blonde short hair that was a mass of waves. She had a model's figure with a tight ass and full, firm tits. She licked her bee-stung lips and looked at him with those dark blue eyes, "Ohh, I guess Beckett doesn't just keep you around for your good looks. This place is as infamous as it is anonymous."

All of a sudden a guy sat down beside her, "Serena. Why you been such a stranger? You don't love me no more?"

"Oh, Vinnie, "I've been busy."

"Busy with what? Jason Bateman over here?"

"Hey Vin, this is time sensitive. We can play catch up later. Right new I need to know if anyone's moving D Flawless diamonds, a lot of them."

"Time-frame?"

"They might've hit the market as early as last night."

Vinnie looked at Serena, "Can't help you."

She discretely slid an envelope of money over to him. He suddenly remembered, "Well, you know, there was a guy who came my way a few days ago. Real cagey-like, tried to take my temperature on a piece of art. covered with a crap-load of D Flawless diamonds. Some sort f marble hand or something."

Serena stared at Vinnie, "This guy, what did he look like?"

Back at the precinct, Mrs. McHugh, the owner of the Fist that was stolen came to see Beckett. She told Kate her husband had it stolen because he wanted it all to himself. They were going through a divorce and didn't want to share it with her.

Beckett brought Mr. McHugh in for an interview, but he was firm that he had nothing to do with the theft of the Fist.

After the interview, she came out and found Castle and Serena propped up at her desk. She was getting more and more jealous by the minute and Castle was enjoying it. He had a sneaky suspicion that Kate knew after being shot that she heard him say he loved her. He would draw it out and make her jealous and get a few good woman to spread their legs for him in the process, beginning with Serena.

Serena came over to Kate, "Doesn't look like Falco was working with McHugh."

Kate saw the two of them side by side and she didn't like it, "Well, who was he working with?"

Castle took over, "The museum's director, Bryan Hayes."

Kate was shocked, "Our victim?"

"A man matching Hayes; description met with Serena's contact a few days ago, asking about D Flawless diamonds."

Serena spoke up, "I'll work some of my other sources. See if we can get a line on Falco."

Castle jumped at the chance, "Oh, another jaunt into Manhattan's seedy underbelly? Count me in."

"Sorry, just a few boring phone calls, catch you later?"

He chuckled, "Catch me anytime." He watched that tight ass as it left the squad room.

baranbrat
baranbrat
1,215 Followers