Betrayed

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

To her credit, she didn't freak out, or hang up the phone. She considered what I asked her and gave me a reasonable response, especially considering that she was the one with a place in his life and the one with something to lose.

"I'm sure you realize what you're asking, Jennie. If I even mention this he'll probably dump me and take off again. He can find work anywhere and he has plenty of money. I have no idea how I'd even broach the subject, let alone convince him to go."

"Of course, I understand. Maybe it's best to just let sleeping dogs lie. Kelly, thank you so much for calling. Please save my number. I'd appreciate you calling every once in a while, if you wouldn't mind, to let me know how he's doing. It would give me a great deal of comfort to know that he's gotten on with his life."

"I'll save your number," Kelly said. "But I can't honestly promise more than that. I hope you understand."

I immediately called Tom at work to tell him what had happened.

"Did you get a phone number for her, or anything we can use?"

"No. Her number was blocked and she didn't tell me her last name. But maybe this is just the first baby step toward something more."

{-}{-}{-}{-}{-}

KELLY

I ended the call, glad that I had made it. I had learned a lot about what I had wanted to know. But the question now was what to do, if anything, with what I had learned. I mean, Jennie was right in that I don't owe them anything. Why should I destroy the best relationship I've ever had for them?

But it wasn't for them, I realized. It was for me, and it was for Megan. What would I want someone to do for me and my daughter if I were in Jennie and Juliana's place? I'd want someone to help, if only for Megan's sake. I doubted it mattered much to Jennie for herself; she wanted this for her daughter.

And what if, God forbid, something did happen between Henry and I down the line to make things go bad. Would he run out on Megan to save himself the pain, like he had done with Juliana? Or were the circumstances that led him to leave Juliana so painful that Henry did something out of character. I thought back to my own childhood also, to my own father cheating on my mother and walking out on them. Sure, Henry hadn't been the one to be unfaithful, but no matter the cause, it was still a little girl losing her daddy.

And so I made perhaps the hardest decision of my life, one that might well cost me the man that I love. I had to give Henry the opportunity to right this wrong. And he was wrong to leave his daughter like that, no matter what her decision had been in that moment. How could I trust Megan's heart to him otherwise? But I couldn't just ask him about it. It would be too easy for him to walk away again as long as Juliana was just a name from his past. No, he needed to see her, to face up to what he had done and who he had left behind.

{-}{-}{-}{-}{-}

The next day, after my shift, I called Jennie again.

"Kelly, I certainly didn't expect to hear from you so soon. Does this mean...anything as far as Henry goes?" she asked.

"Jennie, I've made a very difficult decision that I hope doesn't cost me Henry's love, but it has to be done. I need to ask you 2 favors. First, I need Juliana's phone number. Second, I'm going to tell her where he is, but I must swear her to silence and I have to ask you not to press her on it. If I have any chance of continuing with Henry I can't have you knowing where he is; maybe someday, but not right now. Can you do that?"

"Of course," Jennie answered. "My only concern is for Juliana. And assuming there's some cost involved in what you're planning, Tom and I will pay for everything."

She provided me with Juliana's number, and then asked me to give her a few minutes so she could give her daughter a heads up before I called. I waiting 15 minutes before having the nerve to place the call and speak to my man's daughter for the very first time, and under less than ideal circumstances.

"Good afternoon, this is Juliana Weston. Is this Kelly?"

"Yes, it is," I answered. "Obviously your mother explained what was going on."

"She did, and she already stressed that anything you told me about my father was to be kept from her. I'm sorry it has to be that way, but I understand it. And I'm ready to do whatever you ask."

"You'll need to fly into the Austin International Airport, the sooner the better. I'll pick you up there and take you to your dad. You'll stay with me while you're here, and I guess we'll just see what happens."

"Can I ask you something?" Juliana asked. "Why are you risking your relationship for me? You don't even know me."

"That's a fair question, Juliana," Kelly said. "I was you once, and my daughter is you now: just a girl wanting her father in her life. I just feel some things are that important. I need to know the man I hope to marry, and I need him to make things right with you."

Even as we talked, Juliana went online and booked a flight to Austin for tomorrow. She emailed me the itinerary, and I'd pick her up myself. Now there was nothing left to do but wait.

{-}{-}{-}{-}{-}

HENRY

I was tired when I got home from work and was surprised to find my girl waiting for me...without a stitch of clothing on. I pulled her into my arms and kissed her deeply. "Where's Megan?"

Kelly gave me that seductive smile she has. "Is that really what you want to know?"

"You know what, it's not important," I decided.

We had an amazing night, including her giving me her ass for the very first time. I wondered what the occasion was, but chose not to question it right now. I was madly in love with this woman, more than I had been in love with Jennie, which I hate to admit gave me some insight into why Jennie made the decision she made. But they did it behind my back, and this revelation did nothing to lessen my anger and hate for them.

When I dropped Kelly back at her apartment I almost asked. I had the ring in my pocket and everything, but I wanted it to be something more special. It would definitely be soon. As she closed the door she gave me a look that bordered on melancholy or bittersweet. I hoped everything was okay.

{-}{-}{-}{-}{-}

KELLY

After shuffling Megan off to school I made the drive out to the airport. I waited at baggage claim with a sign that had Juliana's name on it and waited. We had exchanged pictures but there were a lot of people. I kept an eye on all the women that seemed to resemble the picture I had, but as soon as I saw Juliana I knew it was her. Sure enough, as soon as that same woman saw the sign she smiled and walked straight for me.

"You must be Kelly," she said. "I'm Juliana. Gosh, you're even more beautiful in person than you are in your picture. I can see why daddy likes you."

"What a sweet thing to say," I responded. "You're quite beautiful yourself. You have your dad's eyes." Juliana smiled. "Are you ready to see your dad?"

"I've been ready for 8 years. I hope it goes even half as well as I've fantasized it will."

We loaded into my little car and headed back home to Marble Falls, the small town where Henry and I had settled in and met. When we got on the edge of town I pulled over and called into Rosie, the dispatcher for Henry's company, putting the phone on speaker. "Rosie, can you tell me where Henry is working right now?"

"Sure Kelly. Hang on," Rosie replied. "He's at the Bealls on 4th and Main. And Kelly, he's got a couple more jobs today so if you're gonna do him in the back of his truck again make it a quickie." She chuckled as she hung up.

I was too slow to cut off the call before that little tidbit had been broadcast. I could feel myself turning a remarkable shade of red as Juliana gave me a knowing smile.

"The back of his truck, huh? Interesting."

"I was frisky, and he looked so good all sweaty and stuff. I couldn't resist."

As we approached the intersection near the department store I pointed out Henry's truck.

"We'll have to wait until he comes out. I'll stand by the driver's door and you wait a few feet back so the truck is between you and him."

We waited there for about 20 minutes before I finally heard his voice talking with the department store manager as he left the store. It was time. I gave Juliana a thumbs-up then waited.

{-}{-}{-}{-}{-}

HENRY

I had repaired the short in the wiring that was causing the restroom lights to flicker and was headed out the door. I had 2 more calls to finish before I could get back to Kelly and Megan, and maybe find the right time to pop the question. I carried the ring with me, waiting for the right opportunity, though soon I would have to create the opportunity if none came along. As I rounded the corner to where my truck was parked I noticed Kelly's car parked behind it. Then I noticed her standing by the door of my truck. I felt the ring box in my pocket and headed toward her.

"Hey baby," I called out. "This is a nice sur..."

Then I saw her, the other her, and all the pain and anger leapt back into my consciousness.

"Hi daddy."

In an instant I ran through a gamut of emotions, none of which were positive ones. I felt the pain of my family's betrayal, the fear of what Juliana's presence here might mean for the future, and anger at Kelly for having obviously been the catalyst for this.

I inhaled deeply then spoke flatly.

"Juliana."

I turned to Kelly.

"I assume you found the box."

She nodded. I glanced down at my watch.

"Well, this has been great, but I have 2 more jobs today and I'm burning daylight."

I put my tools into my truck then opened the door.

"Daddy, I'm getting married."

"Is that right?" I answered. "Congratulations." I paused, unable to squelch the anger that was burning inside me. "Try not to become a cheating whore like your mother."

With that I climbed into the truck and shut the door. It didn't end there as Juliana was now at my window, banging on it with both fists..

"I saw you! I know you still love me and care about me because I saw you!" She was yelling to be heard through the glass, which I then rolled down.

"What are you talking about, Juliana?"

"My high school graduation. You were in the back and you were trying not to be noticed but it was you. That's how I know you still love me."

"I don't know what it is you think you saw, Juliana, but it sure as hell wasn't me."

I fired up the truck and pulled away.

Damn it. I knew I should have purged my life of that stuff, but I was trying to be careful and keep a few things just in case, and now again my old life has reared its ugly head and come to destroy me. Doing it once apparently wasn't enough. I drove about 10 minutes before pulling over to get myself together. How could Kelly do this to me? I was happy, damn it. Finally, after all these years I had found love and I was happy. I should have known it wouldn't last. Happiness was apparently not my destiny and this is the last time I would make that mistake. I had yet to have someone come into my life that didn't end up betraying me; no reason now should be any different. Finally I pulled back out and was headed to the next job. I would finish my calls today, then call my boss and let him know my past had finally caught up with me and I'd be moving on. He'd understand.

{-}{-}{-}{-}{-}

KELLY

Juliana was crying into my shoulder. For my part, I was completely shocked at how cold Henry had been. This was his very own child, for God's sake. What she had done was not that bad; children made choices like this all the time, so this was obviously more about him, about the pain he had felt.

Henry had never been anything but loving to Megan and me. This seemed so out of character for him. I put Juliana into the car and drove over to my apartment.

"You'll stay with me for now. This was just the first try. I'll talk to him again when he gets off work."

I was trying to reassure her, even as I wasn't so sure myself.

{-}{-}{-}{-}{-}

HENRY

It was after 6:30pm when I got back to the boarding house. To my surprise neither Kelly nor Juliana was there waiting for me as I had expected. That was fortunate as it would make my departure smoother. Damn it. I really loved her and Megan. I didn't want to leave but Kelly had given me no choice. She had gone out of her way to locate my own personal hell and rain it down on me again. Now they knew where I was, and how could I trust Kelly after she did this to me. Damn it, damn it, damn it. I wasted no time pulling out my suitcases and starting to load up. All the furniture came with the room so all I really had was clothes and a few personal items. The things I had at Kelly's would just have to be a loss.

I ignored the knock on the door, but when I heard it open anyway I knew it had to be Kelly; she was the only other one with a key. She closed the door and just leaned against the wall and watched me for a few minutes before speaking.

"Running again?"

"Don't have a choice. Juliana knows where I am now, which probably means...oh shit. I suppose you've spoken to Jennie."

"Yes. Hers was the only contact number in your files. Fortunately she still had the same phone number."

"Yes, how fortunate." My sarcasm was obvious. "So I assume now you know the whole humiliating story. Great."

She came walking over toward me and put her hand on my shoulder.

"She told me what happened, Henry. But there's nothing for you to be humiliated by. The same thing happened to me, remember? But I've let it go and lived my life, and found happiness with you."

"The same thing happened to you? I don't think so. You hadn't been together for 20 years. This wasn't a best friend you'd had known even longer than that. Your daughter didn't choose to toss you on the scrap heap alone in favor of the people that just destroyed your life. So no, it wasn't the same thing!"

My voice was starting to rise.

"Say, you know me pretty well. Maybe you can tell me what it is about me that makes everyone I love decide to betray and abandon me."

"Henry, that's not..."

"Sure it is! First my mom cheats on my father and walks out on us, on me. Then dear old dad can't take it and impales himself on the nearest oak tree, so apparently I wasn't worth living for. So the powers that be then ship me back to the woman who abandoned me in the first place. You can imagine how welcome I was there with the new husband that had never wanted kids. But at least he had someone to take care of the yard work and bring him a beer now."

"Henry..."

"Of course, if I wasn't fast enough on those or any of my other chores I got a smack to the head or whatever else he could get away with without leaving a mark. At least until he decided a few marks weren't so bad and might remind me to be faster next time. And what did mom say when she found out what hubby was doing? She thanked him for trying to make something of her 'worthless child' as she so memorably put it. You wondered about the scars on my back, well there you go."

"Honey, I...

"Wait, I'm not done yet. So then I finally get the hell out of there and build a successful career and marry the 'girl of my dreams'. I have a close friend and a daughter that I adore. And I actually have it pretty good for a while. And what happens then? Well, you know the answer to that, now don't you. Yes, two of the three people that I lived for come together to destroy me again. The two people I should be able to rely on and trust take my faith in them and crush it. But even then I try to carry on, to fight the good fight. I still have my daughter, and surely she won't forsake me, right? I mean, her mom and good old Uncle Tom have each other and dad has no one else in the entire world, so surely she'll choose to live with me, so that I have someone to help me get through this. We've always been close so surely she will. Nope. Wrong again! She caught a whiff of whatever it is about me that everyone else smelled and she turned her back on me, too. She chose the tramp and her boyfriend over her own father. So tell me, Kelly, because maybe you've picked up on it by now. Just what the fuck is it about me that makes everyone hate me so damn much?"

I had wandered around the room as I ranted about all the crap that life had placed at my doorstep. I was looking out the window by the time I was done, turning to face Kelly when she spoke.

"Henry, baby, Juliana doesn't hate you. She was going through what is probably the most traumatic thing a child can experience. She just wanted a little normalcy, to know that no matter what else happened she could come home and her mother would be there like she always was. And she relied on promises that she could see you whenever she wanted and that that would be enough for you. How would you like for the choices you made when you were 14 to be held against you for the rest of your life?"

I realized later that she had made a very valid point about choices when you're 14 years old but I was far too angry to let anything like logic get in my way right now.

"Why the hell couldn't you just leave well enough alone, Kelly? I was finally happy. I had you and Megan. I had put all that crap mostly behind me. That life didn't want me anymore so I left to make one that didn't have any of them in it. I was finally looking forward to the future and now you had to open up this damn can of worms again. These people aren't anything to you. Weren't you happy? Just tell me why?"

"I'm very happy being with you, baby, and I didn't mean to find anything." Kelly explained. "But I love you and I wanted to know about you. When I looked inside the box I hoped I'd just find a few things out about you so you wouldn't be such a mystery, but when I saw you had a daughter and that you had left her behind I had to know why?"

"But why? Why the hell did it..." The light bulb went on in my head. "Oh, I see. If he's such a terrible person that he could walk out on his own child then he sure as hell can walk out on his stepdaughter. That's what you thought, right?"

Her head went down and my answer was clear.

"That's just fucking great. Well, I'll save you the trouble of having to worry about it anymore. I'll be gone by morning. I've ruined enough lives with my presence. So now you can join the club. You can go be all buddy-buddy with my daughter and join up with the rest of the backstabbers, maybe come up with some new ways to hurt me. Too bad none of you will have me to push around anymore, at least until I stop somewhere else and someone rats me out as soon as I start to think I can be happy after all. Then the vultures can flock to me again."

I felt I had sufficiently made my point, but all I managed to do was piss her off.

{-}{-}{-}{-}{-}

KELLY

I had pretty much had enough of his crap at this point. I loved him with all my heart but I wasn't gonna let him get away with spouting this nonsense and ruin our lives.

"So, you think everyone is just spending their free time trying to ruin your life! That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Your daughter dropped everything to come out here because she loves you and just wants her fucking father to walk her down the aisle for her wedding and be able to meet his grandchildren. Your ex-wife, who you think hates you so damn much, just wants to make sure you're okay and find some closure for your daughter. You know what, Henry? If you want to live your life in pain, anger, and bitterness then that's your choice. I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you, but I'm not going to be with someone who wants to wallow in their own self-pity. Okay, bad things happened to you, and I'm sorry they did. You didn't deserve it. But bad things happen to lots of people that don't deserve it. Did I deserve to have my husband walk out on me? No. But I accepted that it happened and decided to make the most of it. I've made a life with my daughter and I was hoping to make one with you, but apparently all you can be counted on to do is run when it starts to get a little tough."