Bianhua Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It took me about half an hour to answer all their questions. When asked about the electrical generation plant we were building I explained that it was being done for the future growth of the valley once it was fully restored to its former glory. Alana's eyes were always on me.

We then repeated the process and released the second pair. This time Alana was mentally prepared. I think she enjoyed releasing the second pair more because she felt more secure in what she was doing.

The news crew as we were flying out caught the whole site with the camera using closeup features to capture some of the highlights.

Everyone was caught up with the excitement of Alana who told the reporter with the cameraman filming her about the progress I was making on the site and what my long time plans were. It was noticeable that she was immensely proud of me and what I was doing.

I found it interesting that the female new reporter asked Alana about how we had met. I listened as Alana explained how I had saved her life by stopping her from bleeding out. When I awoke out of surgery the first thing, I did she said was to get Dirk to promise me that he would be my date for the spring prom Alana added.

Once the cameras were turned off the governor said, "Your young lady friend Dirk had done more to help us get acceptance of this project than any of us could. Seeing it from an emerging adults point of view means a lot. If the news crew want to do a follow up can they come?"

"Anytime," I said. "I've got nothing to hide."

I did not realize what a simple straight forward answer said to a man who had to question everything a person said.

When we got back to Richmond County airport the governor had a few more words to say to the camera.

"I wasn't behind this program one hundred percent. I reluctantly signed on," He said. "The more I got into it the more I understood just what was at stake. It was the releasing of the eagles and seeing a huge site of lush green land beneath us as we flew in that made it easy to see what is being done."

"Recent reports received by our office show a steady progress of getting rid of the contaminated ponds safely that were threatening the life of the river system," He added. "I want to thank the Epa and Dirk Blackstone for their willingness to take this big of a project on. What they have achieved so far is far beyond my expectations."

"I can honestly say that I am looking forward to doing annual inspections as this long term project moves along," The governor explained. "The eagle is the first test to see if they will accept our giving back to mother nature what we as mankind have taken from her."

The governor asked to speak to me privately. He wanted to thank me personally for bringing my girlfriend along. He thought it was a brilliant thought because it turned a public announcement into a story that created interest. We would learn later that thanks to social media it generated more interest than what the governor's office staff could handle.

After saying our goodbye to Chris and the governor Alana and I headed off. She was still so excited that she was talking a mile a minute. It was hard for me to get a word in edgewise.

"You used your knowledge about the eagle's nervous system to calm them down," Alana said as we climbed into my truck. "The conservation representative was surprised because of what you were able to accomplish. He said he had never seen anyone who could handle the eagles as easy as you did."

"Your right," I said. "Otherwise the outcome would have been completely different. Now we just have to wait and see if they will make the area their home."

"What's next on our agenda," Alana asked?

"Getting something to eat," I replied. "Preferably something that is not fast food."

It was interesting to see Alana slid over to sit right beside me in my truck as if that were where she belonged. She then called her Mom to explain what we had done and asked her to record it if she caught it on the news. I got the impression that her mother was finding it hard to believe that we had done what was being explained to her.

"Mom wants to know if she should plan on us being there for dinner," Alana said.

"I think we can arrange that," I said. "Besides, I would like to see if the eagles are still in the area before it gets dark."

Alana and her mother talked for a few minutes more as she explained to her what had happened. I thought if I were trying to impress her, I could not have done better.

Suddenly Alana started to giggle before she explained to her mom. "I just realized that we are most likely going to be on the evening news. It is going to make me the center of attention at school next week. A lot of my schoolmates are going to envious."

I had found a local restaurant that seemed appealing and had pulled in when Alana told her mother she had to go.

"My future husband," Alana said. "I don't think there is anything you will do that will top the start of our day."

I laughed and said, "You're getting way ahead of yourself. What makes you think that we will find ourselves that compatible with each other?"

"Dirk," Alana said. "You don't realize how old-world your ways are because they are second nature to you. You find joy in things that others will never appreciate, and you have allowed me today to see a part of you that most will never know. The way you were able to bond with those eagles was amazing. I saw it where the others didn't."

I looked at her in total puzzlement not knowing how to respond.

"Don't give me that look," She said. "Just admit to yourself that I am right. How you can relate to all living things is a gift that most others will never have, and it is so unique because it can't be taught."

I think that was the moment that I realized that Alana had a better insight into me than I did because she was right. I had never seen what I considered a natural ability to be a gift. It reminded me of my master's words when he said, "You see life as the whole and how it relates to every living thing and it is automatically reflected in how you view things."

As soon as we got out of the truck Alana took my hand and together, we headed in for a late breakfast early lunch. After eating we spent the day touring some of the local small museums before heading back to check on our eagles. During the whole day, she never left my side.

In walking around the museums, she found me diligently interested in the history of things.

"Why so interested in our past culture," Alana asked?

"Understanding how a society evolved," I explained. "Gives me insights into why things are the way they are today."

"You're also studying the past," Alana replied. "Hoping it will give you a better understanding of our future."

********

We were standing at the outer edge of the strip mine watching three out of the four eagles flying high in the sky as the sun was beginning to descend behind the west side of the mountain. It was a good sign because it meant that the eagles were adjusting to the area and had found enough available food to satisfy their hunger. We watched as they disappeared into the peaks of the mountain.

At that moment, the electronic system in the gas collection pipes clicked in. Every single one of the pipes began to do what it was designed for as the pressure built up in them had caused them to automatically ignite. I heard a gasp from Alana because the whole green area began to glow with the reflection of the light of the flames.

"If you were trying to impress me with a romantic moment," Alana said. "You could not have done a better job."

"It truly is beautiful," I said. "I didn't expect there would be so much gas build up this soon."

"You did again," Alana said. "I could not have asked for a better ending to this very romantic day. From this point of view, you have set out a pattern that lays out like a Celtic cross when lite up."

We stood there for a few more minutes just enjoying the quiet, the dance of the flames in the slight breeze, and the results of the flame reflecting on the land while sharing a few hugs and kisses.

Both of us saw it as a mystical moment. For both of us as the darkness deepened the light show below drew us in more. Finally, we had to leave because her parents had planned dinner for seven.

We got back to her parent's place with a few minutes to spare. If they were concerned about how our first date had gone, they were quickly dispelled because of the glow on their daughter's face.

"Dirk, I don't know what you all did to today but that daughter of mine looks like she is smitten," Ian said with a grin as we walked in through the front door.

Alana told them both about our day from how it started right down to how it ended. Bonnie told Ian that she had recorded the clips they displayed on the news. It had been cut down into two sections. So, we went to watch them before we ate. The first part was the news part surrounded by the governor's comments. It included a brief bit of everything about the site and what we were doing.

Then there was the romantic section where they dealt with our first date focusing on how I was able to get the eagle calmed down to release the birds. They had caught Alana's words just after we had released the first pair. They ended the session by saying that an hour special about the day's events would be viewed as a special next Saturday at seven.

The commentator said, "I don't know if any man will be able to top what Dirk Blackstone did on his first date to impress a girl, but it worked. All could tell that there was a deep connection between the two of them. I do not know if Alana Conner's trusted the man or the birds, but she released them like a pro. If Alana was not in love with Dirk at that time, by the time, we ended our adventure there was no doubt to any of us that she was.

Both Alana and I were surprised because I guess neither one of us had clued into how large the four birds were. The cameraman had caught the eagles spreading their wings when starting to take flight from our arms in such a way that there was no doubt that the birds, we released were mature adults. It realy was an impressive camera shot.

I could not help noticing how quiet Bonnie got when the lady news reporter was giving the background on our story. Going into detail about the day we met.

"I told you, Mom," Alana said. "That Dirk had a difference in him that set him apart. The way those majestic eagles related to him proved that. The conservation specialist said that Dirk has a magic touch that the eagles seemed to naturally relate to and that was why what could be difficult went off so easily."

That night as she walked me to my truck Alana said. "Do you think our eagles will stay?"

"We will get the answer to that in time," I said. "Hopefully, they will have enough food resources that will make it easy for them to. The big question will be answered next week with all the work being done will it scare them away."

Before saying goodnight Alana and I held each other and started talking about the prom was coming up. Just before kissing her good night, I slid off my father's ring saying that we would be exclusive with each other until she gave it back.

Alana said she was going to wear it on her neck with her Celtic cross.

On Monday I learned quite quickly that everyone who knew somebody who worked with me had seen the two news clips. It was the topic of discussion. Quite a few of the ladies in our office commented that they could tell that Alana and I belonged together.

All in all, most agreed it was the right thing to do because it answered a lot of questions that were not anyone's business. That was when we decided as a group to promote ourselves as a land restoration company.

Every time someone thought about it, they would look out the windows to see if they could spot the eagles. When one did it was announced, and everyone came to look. I did not see it but that simple gesture seemed to bring us together as a collective unit.

********

It had been over two weeks since Alana and I had our first date. Although we had talked in the evening's things at the site had gotten busy. The concrete plant was completed, and we had started receiving the materials and chemicals needed to begin the production of making concrete. When choosing this site, it had been the drilled well that had convinced me it was right for the cement plant.

So, the push was on to get the first ring around the stripped mine leveled off. That meant blasting out sections and transferring the rock. Leveling it off with crush rock and fine stone sand. Framing in the molds adding the rebar for reinforcement.

David and his crews started where the county road ended. To do that we had to create a new road into the gold mines office. So, we went the mile extra and built a proper parking lot. That was quickly done after removing all the topsoil and replacing it with the stockpiles of crushed rock, fine stone sand, and a thick oil tar-based covering when it had been compressed and packed down.

The staff felt the new road was a huge improvement. With the saved topsoil we spent two days leveling off the land around the building. Made a picnic area so they could enjoy their lunch outside in good weather while creating walking paths before reseeding.

I did not realize that each section of concrete poured for the road would be two feet deep. Like always as much of the topsoil was collected and transported to the soil making section. At the same time, we would run the lines the county wanted but would not connect them until some agreement had been met.

We were busy watching the first batch of concrete for the road being poured in via the pumper trucks when I got a phone call from Alana. Her father had bought a few wild horses from the Devil's Garden Plateau Wild Horse Territory in the Modoc National Forest in Northern California.

They had just arrived a couple of days before and one of the handlers of them was using a whip to control one of them. She asked me to come because her parents were out for the day. I was surprised she was at home until she said it was spring break.

As I drove into Conner's place what I saw infuriated me. Four men had a large male white horse roped to hold it down while the leader of the group snapped his whip whenever the male horse raised his front legs. All their action were working against the horse's natural instincts which served to heighten the horses fears.

The fools did not realize that they were only adding to the horse's temperament multiplying its natural protective response to the extreme. The horse having run wild all its life was not used to any man.

After slamming to a stop, I jumped out. Tore off my jacket, my shirt, shoes, socks, and headed for the coral in a fast run. With one leap I was on the top rail. I did not realize until later that this was the first time Alana had seen me half naked.

Alana could tell I was angry. She watched as I as I leaped landing in front of the leader just as he let the whip go. In the next moment, I had kicked it out of his right hand before it landed on the horse.

The man was angry that I had stopped him and swung at me. I grabbed his arm and used it to throw him full force against the railing near the gate. That action knocked the wind out of him. He fell to the ground.

I picked up his whip before he caught his breath saying in a rage. "If I ever see you near a horse again, I will take this away from you and use it on you. Do you understand. Now get yourself and your men off the Conner's land."

"You heard him," Alana said. "Best do what my boyfriend says because the five of you are fired."

The man said, "You don't have the authority."

"You have my dad's cell number," Alana said. "Call him and tell him what Dirk and I said."

I turned myself to the male white horse who was still raising himself in the air. As he came down on his front legs, I held my hand towards the front of his nose. He rose again and came down again causing me to move back or forward depending on where I figure he would land.

Alana watched me do this as the man talked to her father and learned right from the horse's mouth, they were all fired. I had to keep my attention on the horse because I needed to keep myself inches away from where he landed. I was trying to get him to understand that I was not a danger to him. I knew that as soon as caught my scent he would know I had no fear.

I could hear a cell phone ring as I kept my focus on the movement of the white Stallion. Alana later said that watching us interact with each other was like we were learning together a new dance. Slowly he calmed down as he began to understand that I was not like them. The horse was beginning to learn that I was no danger to him.

Once he had stopped venting and as his breathing pattern started to slow down, I slowly inched forward and began carefully removing the four ropes they had on him. Each was removed as gently as possible because I did not want him getting excited again. I removed the four ropes from the coral.

"Alana, can you please get me as many handfuls of fresh hay you can carry as soon as you are done talking," I asked. "and a bucket of horse feed."

"Okay it will take me a few minutes," she responded.

The horse and I started bonding while she was gone. When she came back, I went and took some of the hay from her first. She watched me as I went back slowly and offered it to the horse. For a few minutes, there was a cold standoff between us but then the horse captured its scent.

I was hoping that with all that excitement had given him an appetite. If I were right it would lead him to moving towards me. It was a joy seeing him slowly walk over to me checking the smell out. Once he had proven to himself what it was, he began eating from my hand. Four times we followed the same routine. Each time I got some more fresh hay the male horse had to come to me.

When what she had brought out was gone, I asked Alana to pass me the feed bucket and this time I met the horse halfway. I held it up as he began to eat the feed.

When I left the coral, the horse had calmed down.

Alana looked at me with tears in her eyes. I took her into my arms and let her tears come.

When she had calmed down, she spoke, "Thank you for coming as fast as you did. That man was going to come back after you threw him against the rail until he saw the scars on your back. I think that was when he realized you had a history and were deadly serious. He quickly realized that you were a man he did not want to deal with."

"What does your dad plan to do with these horses," I asked?

"That was the one I picked for my birthday present," Alana said. "The rest once trained he will sell-off via a local farm market web page."

"Your scars are fading but one can tell that you've been whipped," Alana said. "When did that happen?"

"When I was young" I replied. "It was one of the last things the monks did to get me to take the cross I wear off. When it did not work the one who became my master stepped in to protect me."

"What made you refuse to take it off," Alana asked?

"My Chinese grandfather Le Chey gave it to me to keep for him until I was able to return it to him. It was and still is not mine to give away."

I could see Alana starting to tear up again, so I added. "The last report I got on him was that he'd been released from the work camps and kicked out of the country. I know they immigrated to the US that in part is one of the reasons I came to this country."

We just held each other for a few before I turned my attention to the white Stallion. I asked her to come with me as we returned to him. We approached the horse holding hands very slowly. For a few moments we just stood there. I explained we were allowing the horse time to get used to smelling our scent. From it he could sense if we were a danger to him. I explained that it was one of the horses natural tools when sorting things out.