Bianhua Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That was when she decided she would make an appointment with the family Doctor to have her daughter issued a prescription for the pill just in case they too got carried away by their emotions and went too far.

********

It had been a couple of months since the prom and it was still the most talked about thing in our little community. The local rag that came out once a week had taken pictures of the event. One of the main ones featured was the Master of Ceremonies and I doing the ritual Peacock dance.

A reporter wrote a whole two-page article on small-town America and how the political turmoil in the big cities, who had yet to learn the difference between right and wrong, made what we showed by our conduct so much more important.

It was the thought of the newspaper that those who attended the Prom had tried for the night to pay respect and compassion to the cultural upbringings of others. The writer had added the thought that seeing two different cultures doing a traditional Chinese ritual dance perfectly showed what was possible for our society when there was the true equal acceptance of the other.

The reporter concluded that we as a society had to learn to let go of our prejudices learned from others to be able to walk with the understanding and insight that he had seen that night when he helped to chaperone the Junior Prom.

********

I now owned the mineral rights to the land I had leased. A geological team working for a company interested in it had come in to evaluate the quality of the iron ore in the one mountain that was filled with it. It had the highest density they had ever seen.

It had taken about a month to put an agreement package together. They would remove the core out of the center of the mountain by tunneling through it from one end to the other, removing an area seventy feet high and eight hundred and eighty feet wide, with offshoots when the concentration of the minerals warranted it.

They would crush the rock here for transportation back to where it was needed using the same containers to ship the product that the garbage came in. The railroad company was thrilled to have a payload going both ways.

They bought the rock for an agreed price based on tonnage, and they would pay for the cost of the concrete to cover the floors, the sides, and the roof of the tunnel once they were completed. I saw it for what it was, an easy way for me to get the tunnel I wanted. They planned to mine it twenty-four-seven, so we had to plan accordingly.

They would pay us standard fees for the handling of the remnants. What we could not make use of would be added to the recycling area. As they blasted into the mountain, we moved the huge chunks of rock and used them to layout the new stream we were creating, as well for making the new ponds the waterfalls would fall into. Until we got into it, we did not realize how much time and work they would be saving us.

With some of the large pieces of rock, we had to use cranes and flat decks to move them from one location to another. It took a bit of work. David said it was like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle with no image to go from. I could see his sense of pride growing as we worked towards completing this short term goal.

The stream itself was only going to be about six feet in width and about eighteen to twenty-four inches deep, but we wanted it to be as natural as possible. It was decided to put different sizes of crushed rock as a fill-in, spread a layer of finely crushed sandstone over it that could be moved by the flow of water, and lay fresh topsoil sloping slightly down towards the creek.

We knew that by laying it out like that would allow Mother Nature in time to take over and slowly start evolving it into a completely natural creek. Within a couple of years, it would have muddy spots in it caused by natural erosion and leaves falling.

We had no clue as to how much raw material we would need to complete the creek, but thankfully the route decided for the creek to flow because of geography was towards the same upper area where the concrete road was being built.

David had discovered, by accident, that we would be able to attach "our creek" to an existing small stream which meant that we were adding to the natural ecology of the area, not creating a new environment. That meant that we had an additional way to prove that we were restoring what previous people had destroyed.

Alana got the idea that we should plant trees and plants and create a natural nature walking path down both sides. That way visitors to the sight would have a visual aid that would show what our long term goals. Little did we realize that Alana and I would spend many an evening scouring the area for the plants we would put into it. Both David and I had to admit that her suggestion was brilliant.

David, our site engineer, loved that idea so much that he suggested that we add another small pond in it. Alana added it should be deep enough that a few people could swim in it. So that was what we were in the middle of doing.

On many Sundays, Alana and I quite often found ourselves riding our horses around the site. Rides like this was an all-day trip. One of the sweetest memories for us was discovering the cycle of life going on with the eagles. I do not know which of us was more excited when we learned we had a bunch of young eaglets beginning to learn how to fly.

When we first saw them, we both got emotional because we both felt that the day, we released them was the day that our relationship really got its start. Like the eagles, we were getting closer in our relationship.

By this time, the fill was in and leveled off giving me a small plateau that overlooked the valley. The concrete driveway and the floor of the cavern had been laid, with the steel beams needed to be cemented and bolted in. by the end of summer, I hoped that I would be able to move into it.

We were currently on the new plateau overlooking the full valley below. It was nice to see patches of green that was not there before. Progress on the new road around the site was slow but steady which added a touch of cleanness that was not there before.

From this point of view, we discovered a new thing that would cause a short term change in our plans. We discovered that we had to concentrate on all the small area that we were creating between the stream and the concrete road.

"It's about a fifteen-minute drive into here from the highway," Alana said. "Perhaps we should turn that small area into a community park. It would be a good spot for those wanting to catch a look at the eagles."

"It would need a washroom, parking area, and a few picnic tables," I added. "Plus, it would allow visitors the perfect spot to safely see what we are actually doing here until the trees and shrubs grew."

"If we decide to do it," Alana noted. "you would have to have a way to safely shut it down at night because it would provide an opportunity for some to do something they shouldn't."

"To put that into play we would have to have signage disclosing that fact," I said. "We will have to give a name and set hours."

"It should be designed in such a way that it should be a compliment to what you're doing," Alana said. "the terra and fauna should be natural to the area."

With our little chat done we headed back to her parent's place because they were expecting us for Sunday dinner.

********

It was the Friday of the Labor Day weekend. Everyone was looking forward to taking the long weekend off. The governor was flying out to officially start the hydroelectric generating plant even though it had been operating for two weeks. The transporting lines had been connected and were already transferring the electricity made. It was turning out to be a profitable adventure for the state.

With the amount of water coming down from the top, it had taken a week for it to complete its journey to the point that it joined the natural creek that David had found. David and I found it humorous that staff could be seen filling water jugs to take home with them.

The state, the county, and my limited liability company had come to an agreement about the distribution of the costs for the water, sewage, and electrical. The state and the county had split the cost. As a result, it had saved us major money on my house, which was now completed, because it was hooked up to county services.

The same news crew that had come with him the last time was returning to do a follow-up. Alana and I, after spending so much time out in the valley riding our horses, had decided I needed a barn and a coral.

With her father, Ian's, help we had designed it to have two floors, eight stalls, and a common area to be developed for further use. It was set back from the backside of the house while facing it. The coral was on the side. He had sold me the straw and hay I needed at market value. The horse feed we used was shipped in once a month.

From the edge of the small plateau, you could clearly see the small park that was now completed. With the water flow coming down and flowing through the area the natural wildlife was becoming more profound. Alana and I took great pride in that fact because it gave us both a sense of satisfaction in believing it was Mother Nature's way of showing her blessing.

We had built a washroom building, parking for ten cars, and had six picnic tables placed throughout the area. First thing every morning, a pumper tank would pump out the sewage from the washrooms holding tanks, take it, and spread it out in the recycling area.

Ian and Bonnie, when they had been up to tour my house, saw the finished product, and fell in love with it. Both had been amazed because most of the house was not visible even as they drove up. They also thought the small park we had created looked like a Scottish moor.

After viewing the pond and falls from the patio, they made me promise to let them use it because they saw it as a very romantic spot. We had used the native flora and fauna to landscape the area. Thus, when going for a swim you could see a lot of ferns and small shrubs which, in turn, gave you complete privacy.

From the road below you would not believe there was a pond because it looked so natural. It was not hard to see the pride Alana had for what we had put together. She told the reporters that we had worked together on the weekends to put the landscaping all together.

We saw the helicopter fly the electrical plant and waited for them to fly down to us after the ribbon cutting. About half an hour later they did.

The governor and I ended standing back as Alana while being interviewed by the lady reporter who had interview us the first time. Alana explained everything in detail that had been done since their last visit. The female reporter caught it all as Alana expanded into some of our short term goals going forward.

"I think your girlfriend loves what you're doing here more than you do," The Governor said. "I guess there's going to be another Tv special on this. This time I will make sure my staff is prepared for it."

"It was her idea to establish the park and the pathway along both sides of the creek," I said. "That way, it would be an ideal spot for visitors to come to view the growing eagle population that now call this area their home."

"How long did it take to put it all together," the governor asked?

"Once we found the existing small water creek, it took less than six weeks to design the layout so that the new creek section flows into the old creek. We had trucks moving rock and soil seven days a week." I explained. "Our problem was we had to move enough soil to be able to plant the trees, shrubs, and wildflowers which we selective dug up from other areas to transplant here."

"We saw what we were doing as adding to what Mother Nature had already created," I said. "Thus, we can say that we were just restoring what may have been taken away."

"This small plateau that I have built on did not exist a year ago," I said. "Even the topsoil, which is covered in clover, comes from the recycling we have done. Thanks to the conditions in this valley we have been able to accelerate the decomposing of the garbage to a period of six months. I have to give full credit to the City of New York for that because most of what we receive is completely recyclable."

With that, we walked out to the edge of the plateau so he could see for himself the changes we had made. He apparently must of being impressed because when he talked about the achievements, he had seen, he made the point to mention to her that I had to be very driven to have accomplished so much in such a little time.

Alana and I smiled when the governor added, "If only as a society we could see the beauty in restoring what we have taken away from Mother Nature as this young couple does. Imagine what a world we could have. Of all the programs I have approved since becoming governor, this is the one, I'm most proud of."

When the camera was off, we took our guests on a tour of the house which was yet to be decorated or furnished. They were impressed by the fact that the small appearing tiny house was so huge.

The female reporter asked Alana, "What's your long term plans for this?"

"We knew when we met that we would be building our forever home right here in the valley because we were both drawn to it," Alana replied. "Dirk, when he discovered this cavern knew he wanted to use the space to build his home into. It is designed for low maintenance and to pay respect to what had been already created."

"Everything we do is done to restore the balance others have taken from Mother Nature," Alana said. "When we are done, this will be ours to enjoy as we grow old together. This house which will be our home was designed to blend in with its environment and not compete with it. Inside it's an up to date, modern home. Outside, it's as if it's part of the mountain and it always has been."

"You're both so different in your approach to life," The reporter said. "I find it hard to personally comprehend."

"My mother says that Dirk and I are 'old souled," Alana explained. "It has allowed us to have respect for all living things created by God. In our eyes, they are as important as we are."

"How long have you known he was your one," the reporter asked?

"After being thrown by the horse," Alana said. "I awoke to find him patching me up. During that time, he kept me calm, painless, and worry-free. When the Doctor's told me that Dirk had saved my life, I knew he would always be there for me. The more I got to know him the more I understood that he was 'old souled' like me. From that day I have believed that God had brought him to me to be my one."

While watching them take off to journey back to the capital, Alana's cellphone began ringing. It was Fen; Suling, her cousin was in trouble and needed our help. It was serious. Fen's older brother who thought he owned Suing, was on his way to bring his cousin Suling back to where he thought she belonged. He had decided he was going to force his first cousin to become his wife in the "biblical way."

********

We literally sped down to my trailer by the old mines office where I quickly changed clothes. When I came out dressed in the same outfit I had worn for the prom, Alana knew that I meant business. As we drove to her parent's place, I got her to call for a helicopter to pick us up there.

The helicopter was just landing when the two of us came out of her parents' house after she too, had changed her clothes. Her choice in clothing compliment mine and within half an hour by air we were in Richmond.

According to Fen's text message, we were about half an hour ahead of Fen's older bro. We knew that Fen was still trying to convince him that he did not own Suling, but he was not having any of that. Suling was working at her uncle's restaurant to help for the long weekend before resuming her position as a teacher in the elementary school to start the new school year.

After calling for a taxi we arrived at the restaurant's front door just as Fen and her brother arrived at its back door of their father's business.

We walked in and headed to the kitchen area. A Chinese girl said in Chinese, "nǐ bù néng jìn qù," which means you can't go in there.

I responded with, "nǐ shuō wǒ huì qù wǒ xiǎng qù de dì fāng ma," which means I will go where I want.

That said, I went through the door separating the kitchen from the serving area to witness Fen's brother forcibly trying to lead Suling out the door. He had literally picked her feet off the floor and was semi carrying her.

"Let Suling go now," I said in English with a strong harsh voice. "Your domination over my little sister ends today."

Everyone stopped what they were doing in the busy kitchen. My loud English voice got noticed. Fen's brother and I were now the centers of attention.

"Who are you, and why should I listen to you," he replied in an arrogance that implied his superiority as he stopped to address me.

I guess he had second thoughts because when he saw the look on my face, he decided to put Suling down. Alana said later that I had the look of a man about to kill. As soon as he released her, she came running towards me.

With everyone's eyes upon me, I walked over to the stone gold-painted three-foot Buddha sitting against the wall out of the way. Without a word, I bowed my head, closed my eyes, and focused while holding my hands as if in prayer.

"He's my brother, he was the one that gave me strength when I needed to endure your conduct in China," Suling said to her cousin in Chinese with determination. "He is the one you will have to answer to, for your conduct towards me from now on."

I opened my eyes as Suling finished speaking. Talking my right hand, I placed the palm of it on the idol's head. Someone started laughing as if it was a big joke. The laughter went silent when, the stone-carved Buddha moments later, crumbled to the floor right where it had stood.

"Imagine, for a minute," I said in English with a very firm voice. "If I can do what I did to that stone carving thanks to the teachings of the Zen Buddhist monks. Just think what I will do to anyone who touches or disrespects Suling again."

The silence in the room was deadly. There now was no doubt that I meant business and that I felt that I could easily back my words up.

"This is my brother Dirk Blackstone," Suling said proudly. "We spent many of our nights as children sitting together on the steps of the temple. He was and is the Wuming."

Fen's brother, after hearing Suling's words, showed real fear. I said to him directly, "Disrespect my little sister or me in any way and you and I will meet privately. Suling is my zuì zhí dé xìn lài de yí gè." (most trusted one) and always will be."

Everybody's face showed instant respect. I now knew that until today none had believed I had existed. To most present back then I had just been Suling's invisible friend.

Suling walked over to stand beside me, her face showing great relief, pride, and joy. Just as an older man came in carrying a huge tray of dishes that he had cleared off some of the tables. Alana saw the surprise look in my face. Alana saw who I was looking at and mouthed 'La Chey."

Without saying a word, the older gentleman placed the tray on the rinsing sinks counter and started organizing them for washing as if he was nothing but a low life doing a low-end job. I noticed that the rest in the kitchen had paid no attention to him because in their eyes that was how unimportant he was.

Fen whispered after noticing me watching the man, "that is my father's older brother. He has had a hard life and in many ways is a broken man." Alana seeing the tears forming in my eyes mouthed "What's wrong."

Without saying a word, I walked up behind him and got down on one knee and said in almost a childlike voice, "La Chey can I have a treat."