Bianhua Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thankfully, we don't have to decide on what to do quite yet," I said. "But we will have to come to some sort of conclusion before we go to visit my grandparents again."

"Dad will have to go to the mayo clinic sometime in the next two years for his four-year checkup," Alana said. "He will be gone for a week as they do a complete body checkup and all the related tests. They will want you to impregnate her then."

"What will you be doing if I decide to accept their request because I feel obligated because of my love for you?" I asked. "The other thing we have to discuss is our vows to remain virgins until we married."

Alana got incredibly quiet. I knew that my last comment had brought the whole situation home to her in a personal way.

"Now you're starting to see what the personal costs are in what your parents and my grandparents are requesting," I said. "In Zen, we are taught to see things from all sides and weigh the cost upon each equally before coming to a decision that all will have to live with."

"Let me put it another way," I said. "The environmentalists preach and demand that we all reduce our carbon footprint without understanding each breathe we take affects the earth because of the carbon dioxide we release."

Alana's eyes got bright and wide-eyed. It was as if she was seeing our world in a different light.

"To put things another way, we have to bring in the big picture," I said. "When a bird is alive it eats the small bugs and other living things. When the bird dies those small bugs eat it. Time and circumstances can change at any time. What we decide today may be worth nothing in six months because our situation has changed."

"I never saw it," Alana said. "We are just as much part of the circle of Mother nature in life as the animals and all living things are. We are all interconnected, and we need each other."

"Yet there are some who will say because they can't see that this world was created by accident," Alana said, "Like I was, they can't see how everything is connected."

"To care for something, you need to understand how it works," I said. "It took years for Adam to name all the plants and animals. Scholars believe that the job was almost done when God paused his work and created Eve. Adam understood what God had created better than any who came after."

"That is why the restoration project is going so well," I explained. "Even with my knowledge I am not the one accomplishing anything, but I am aiding mother nature to complete what it does normally faster."

"When you look at things through that spectrum," Alana added. "You realize just how unimportant you are in the scheme of things. Makes all the important decisions we make in life seem small and petty."

"We can't afford to devalue the importance of anything," I said. "Time is more powerful than either of us because of the change it brings. One pine tree can be used to make a million match sticks, but it only requires one matchstick used the right way to burn a million trees."

Alana laid her head on my shoulder as we started the journey back to our homes. I had given her many things to think about and to consider. Most in society do not understand that everything we do indirectly affects something else.

It was not long until she was fast asleep with her head resting on my shoulder. I knew that no matter what we would decide that our needs would always have to come first. By the time we were within ten minutes of her home, I had decided that until we were married and established the requests of others would have to wait because the possible cost of not doing so might be too great.

Alana awoke when were about six miles from her home. After giving her time to get herself fully awake I said. "I told your father it would be hands off of you in a physical way until you had graduated grade twelve. That was before we vowed to each other to remain virgins until we married."

"I know dad told me," Alana said. "He's based his acceptance on us being us on the fact that he believes you will try your damndest to live up to the high standard you set for us. He is immensely proud of how our relationship has come together. In talking with him he has told me if I had of been with another man I would have already been knocked up and pregnant."

"I have a question for you to consider," I said, "If we can't keep our word to each other now what does imply to our future?"

It took a while for Alana to respond and I was starting to get worried but then she said, "I think we just learned that we are going to be constantly tested by the changing views in society and by the needs of others. There an old saying that says "to thy self be true." If we were being tested, I think we both passed it."

"So, what does that mean to you," I asked?

"That nothing now or ever is going to come between us my future husband," Alana said. "Our logic will lead us as it did today to put our priorities straight."

"So, if either of our families ask about their requests again," I asked. "What is our answer going to be?"

"That we are not open to even discussing it until after we are married," Alana said with determination. "I will not allow the wants and needs of others to come between us now or ever. Our relationship and honesty towards each other come first."

I had learned a valuable lesson. Alana could be influenced by things that tugged at her heart but had the logic to work through it if she was allowed to walk through it if in a safe neutral spot.

When I pointed out what I had learned Alana surprised me by saying, "Mom has always encouraged us to take time and not rush into things. Just having worked through what I thought was going to be a life-changing situation for both of us shows me the wisdom in her words."

"We also learned that from now on we will not instantly agree to something just to get along because we need to figure out what the unintended consequences are before moving forward," I said. "As for your mother's request, because it's only going to be a one-time event, I would be open to the idea after we are married if you give me your consent."

"What about your grandparent's request," Alana asked?

"Because Suling is my sister in every way but blood," I said "There is no way I could grant their request unless it was done by artificial insemination because I feel it could damage our relationship in a way that could not be repaired."

"You are doing your best to remain the leaf," Alana said proudly. "While ensuring that you do not damage our relationship. I only hope that in our walk-in life that I can act in the same manner."

I smiled and said, "Life is like a stream it is always flowing, always being affected by what's around it. Always moving in a direction unless outside forces interfere. It's up to each one of us to decide what direction and for what purpose."

"My future husband again you surprise me with the insights of your wisdom," Alana said. "You clearly show that everything has a reason for its existence. Too often we act in ignorance because we truly do know nothing."

As we turned into Alana's parents' house Alana said, "Each night as I prepare for bed, I thank God for bringing you to me. Your insights into life and living have given me a deep appreciation of things I always took for granted."

"The feeling is mutual, "I said. "I no longer when I consider things look at them from the view of one but two as I try to see things from your point of view."

"You're a strange man my future husband," Alana said. "You are constantly driven by the desire to become a better person. I have only seen you at the point of deep anger twice. Once was with the so-called horse trainer and the second was Suling's cousin. Yet you were able to keep in control when others would not have."

"Believe me," I said, "It took all the Zen teachings for me not to. Thankfully at the restaurant, I took my anger out on the Stone Buddha by using it as a teaching moment. I got a release of my anger by throwing the man into the coral the first time. Both men by their conduct had pushed me almost to my limit."

"Intolerance of bad conduct has always been a pet peeve of mine," I said. "Most people are taught right from wrong starting at an early age. That makes what they are doing appear to be deliberate. Yet in a lot of American society, it appears that bad behavior is an acceptable norm, and those doing it are not held accountable for their actions."

"In China, there are consequences for everything you do," I went on to explain. "Breaking the law because it's the 'in thing to do,' brings a sentence down on you that may be extreme. Here it's believed that eventually, they will grow out of it."

Alana said to me, "I've finally figured out what your long term goal is for the valley. You want it to become a place of tranquility for all life."

"Your right," I said. "The problem is that perfection like that has never existed since God threw Adam and Eve out of the garden of Eden."

That was when I got hit with something from way out of the left-field as I turned into the driveway. Alana said, "I will turn eighteen during spring break next year and can legally get married without my parents' consent. What do you think about moving our wedding date up for about six months?"

I shut the truck off and turned and looked at her. That was when I knew she was deadly serious.

********

After a busy week, David and I were taking a break catching up on the progress of everything. We were sitting at one of the picnic tables we had built when we landscaped around the old mine's office.

We were out by one of the collection ponds near the gold mine checking to see if we could drain one of them completely by moving the fluids into the others. With the way the total fluid levels depth was at, it was clear that we could.

"Is it okay if I have some professionals come in and check the gold mine out," asked David? "It would be nice to know if it is worth opening up using today's mining standards."

"Yes, good idea. Perhaps with that in mind, we should close the pond that is closest to the mine," I said. "Remove all the contaminated rock and soil to the former strip mine for recycling. That way if we have to, we can rebuild a larger deeper containment concrete pond which can be pulverized into the sand when no longer needed."

"That would make it easier for it to be restored naturally to blend in with the topsoil we end up," David acknowledged. "It would help break up the density of the soil we are making which might be a good thing."

"The question we better check into with accounting," I said. "Can we afford it?"

"According to accounting," David said. "The startup loans are coming down quite quickly. We are well on the way to making up the huge loss because of the set up over the first year. The added revenue from the iron ore company could be used to finance the start of the gold mine if it is deemed doable."

"We are farther along in the process than I thought,' I added. "Start looking at the possibility of staring the concrete road on this section of the property. If we open the gold mine, we best be prepared to have the room for a small subdivision of houses. To do that we should start leveling off and filling in the land."

"With the ore being taken out by the miners there are a few who work there would buy here if there was a store to supply them the basics in groceries and gas," David said. "We could start the subdivision off the main road in that we have already finished. That way we could level off the land as we laid out the subdivisions itself working back towards the mine offices."

"You're the engineer," I said. "Pass it through legal to see what they think. Start before the professional are done checking out the mine. Make sure they're from a reputable company because I don't want what we're accomplishing ever being questioned."

"Fair enough I'm going to be hiring a couple more crews for the construction department because with the push on for the rest of the road we can be constructing on both sides of the land, instead of being one-directional." David added, "The road going toward the gold mine side will be quicker because we don't need to do any blasting."

"Just so you know. Alana and I bought a lot of the furniture for the house," I said. "Most of the stuff will be arriving in two hours. So, I am going to be listing the trailer for sale. The new owner will have to remove it."

"That space once freed would be the perfect spot to build a four-level apartment building," David said. "The only concern is that I don't want to have the residential buildings being deserted after the mining is done."

"That will not happen because as soon as the iron ore is removed and the hollowed-out mountain is concreted in the way we agreed," I said. "The first thing is to put in will the metal framing to hold oak barrows we will fill to be aged over long periods. Then an electrical system that will automatically turn the barrows at the same time each day."

"Oak barrows what are they going to hold," David asked? "That explains the need for darkness and coolness because it helps to retard natural evaporation."

"Three different types of single malt scotch," I explained. "That can be made into three double malts or a blend of all three at bottling. Whiskeys, bourbons, and rye's don't age in bottles like most wines do."

"You sound like you have a lot of knowledge about making scotch," David added. "Are you sure you can set this all up?"

"I have the basic knowledge, but I would bring in a man named Angus McGregor, my godfather's grandfather if he is still alive at that time to oversee the setup and organization of it. If I am weak in any area, it's the cooking of the grains and the barley to get the right consistency needed to make a premium product."

"Dirk, I'm not surprised to learn that you had your next step all planned out." David disclosed before asking "What happens to the grain and barely when you are done with it?"

"In the old country the common practice is to turn what's left of the mash into cattle feed," I said. "Some of the farmers back there, believe it is a great supplement to their cattle's steady diet. Here we could spread it out to provide feed for the deer and other like animals to feed on."

"Does Alana know about your plans," David said with a laugh?

"Not about bringing out her great grandfather but the rest yes," I replied. "but she's come up with a new suggestion that I'm trying to figure out."

What's that?" he asked.

"She turns eighteen just before spring break and wants us to get married then," I said.

"What brought that on?" David said.

"Alana got her promissory ring last Saturday, before the start of her final year," I explained. "With the promise that she would get her engagement ring around her eighteenth birthday."

"Congrats but I'm not really surprised," David said. "Alana has always been headstrong. Almost as much as you. What surprises me is that I have never seen the two of you ever argue."

I guess I must have gotten a funny look on my face because he was right. That told me that there was a depth to our relationship that needed to be figured out.

My adopted father, the master had always said that when you saw a male and female animal working together to accomplish something without making a sound to communicate leave them alone. Their relationship was deeper than most. Where possible we should let them fulfill the assignment that has been embedded in them by the creator of all life.

It was his belief, that all living things regardless of what they were if they consumed either oxygen or carbon dioxide, they each had a role to play in the overall balance of the earth. The problem with mankind, was its greed because we did things to get things done the cheapest and the fastest. Quite often disturbing and without understand mother nature reason for what was in the first place.

When we upset the balance of mother nature it would find a way to give back what it had received. Few who understand the religious side of our world could see that regardless of the interpretation of the understanding the goal was the same. All would end up with what the creator had started on the planet earth, the tranquility found in the garden of Eden.

The journey and the path of life in time was designed to take us back to where it all began. The creator just may not have all the races start over in the new unnamed garden on the same planet. At the stage of life, all would be given the chance without interference to learning God's truth from him.

That would when the real test of man's humanity would begin because all would be put through a final test. Each who past had eternal life, each who failed eternal death. During our current life according to the Zen teachings we as humans were still at the stage where we were still using training wheels.

Proof of that could be found in medical textbooks because scientists and doctors believe that the human mind was capable of doing so much more but thought something beyond their understanding was restricting it.

********

I was busy assembling the various pieces of equipment and furniture that Alana and I had purchased together as the Lowes team installed the appliances. The stainless steel stove, fridge, dishwasher, and microwave once hooked up made the kitchen look complete.

The washer and dryer with the large freezer they brought in the back way through the huge barn door which I had opened. What amazed them was how much open space there was for storage. The delivery drivers thought it was everyman's dream because it was perfect for an open workshop and storage of Adult men's toys like motorcycles or boats.

I had to admit that David's decision to use a door handle-less system for door opening on the doors and drawers of the kitchen cabinets was right on the money. We had used cut stone to layout the floor. After spreading a thin layer of stained concrete, we had applied the stone. Using a putty knife, we filled the spaces in before we sanded it down then sealed it three times before polishing it. I got a lot of compliments about it from the delivery drivers because of stunning the design looked.

The contrast of the stainless steel to the rock floor, white drywall walls, the oak cabinets with a white edge at the bottom that blended with oak stained butcherblock countertops was impressive.

It caused the kitchen to have an open European theme as you could see how open and seamless everything was. I was pleased to hear the compliments about the house and how it was designed. None of them could get over the privacy, the view, and how deceptive the outward appearance of the house was.

Four different trucks had come and left leaving me with the joy of assembling and cleaning up of the protective wrappings. I was hauling out the first batch of cardboard and wood holding pieces from the dining room to start a burn pile when the Conner's showed up. All three of them.

"Mom and Dad were just dying of curiosity," Alana said in laughter after giving me a kiss and a hug. "So, we have come with a packed supper with all the accessories and hands to help."

After unloading the back of the truck, I learned that as a surprise Alana and Bonnie had spent last Sunday in Richmond shopping for the dishes, kitchen accessories, bath towels, and linen. As Bonnie said the items that transferred a house into a home.

When Bonnie and Ian saw the dining, room set we had picked up they were amazed. They thought it was beautiful. What surprised them was that the china cabinet and hutch were two different large pieces that complimented the space perfectly.

I had completely set the whole thing up. The huge eight place setting table, matching chairs with two captains like the other accessories had all been made from oak. Bonnie had to say, "I know how much something like this had to cost. Dirk if you're going to be going into debt to pay for this you will have to find a way to get them to take it back."