Big in Japan Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chief Moynahan said "I bee-lieeeeeve that Eduardo Escobarrrrr is one of the good guys. But he has asked us, the TCPD, to let the Feds take the lead on it, because of their ongoing investigations. I told him that we would continue our end of it, but would cooperate with themmmm."

"You okay with that, Crowbar?" growled the Sheriff.

"Oh, yes sir." I said. "I don't think we're going to have much to cooperate with them about, so it's 'no harm, no foul'. They just want to make sure we don't step on their toes concerning their investigation... like someone did when she flew down to visit her aunt last week. And no, I'm not saying the FBI tried to down The Vision' plane... it's pretty obvious who that was."

"Whaa?!?!" came a chorus of voices...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As the party broke up, Cindy had me stay on the deck for one extra moment. She said "What you said about Tanya hurting the TCPD by her actions and by wanting to fire Lieutenant Mary Milton really got through to her. She was on her best behavior while you were gone."

"Good, I'm glad to hear that." I said, very relieved.

"On the flip side, with both you and Teresa gone, and her not interacting with Mary and Intel very much, it was a potential void of leadership. Mary, Jerome, and Micah work very well together, but as you know, a Police Force is not meant to be run by committee."

"No doubt about that." I said. "Time will tell, but I hope things will settle down and work out..."

Part 20 - Back To The Routine

"In nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti..."

Sunday, September 13th. Those words of Father Romano seemed to carry on the wind as he said the final incantations for the soul of Easton Windham at the graveside service.

Teresa had claimed the body of her former husband, and arranged for his burial. The plot happened to be near the final resting place of Tomoko Shimono. And Teresa was here, as were Todd, Cindy, Callie, Sheriff Griswold, and myself.

"He was a friend to me, in a time when I had no one... no one at all." Teresa had said when asked why she had made the effort. "He deserves a decent burial and a headstone, if nothing else."

I subsequently overheard Cindy say to Callie and the Sheriff: "I'm not surprised. Teresa is a very loyal person, especially to those who showed her kindness or helped her. She still won't say a bad thing about Captain Malone. And I don't even need to say that she considers her loyalty to the Iron Crowbar more sacred than her own life..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, September 14th, from the roof of the building at Riverside and College on the southwest corner of Courthouse Square, with the Courthouse on the east side of the square in the far background. "The show trial of Breonna Bryant begins today!"

Bettina began: "In one of the most controversial prosecutions in Town & County history, white District Attorney Miriam Walters's Office is bringing felony murder charges against black University honors student Breonna Bryant. Ms. Bryant is being charged in connection with the deaths of civil rights activist Jacquez Wilson, our KXTC colleague Lester Holder, and six others when the building they were in exploded during peaceful protests." (Author's note: 'Consequences', Ch. 04.)

Bettina: "Ms. Bryant, a student at the University, was arrested for merely being near the scene of the peaceful protests, and was charged with 200 others for felony murder, which carries the same weight as murder in the first degree. Her trial is the first under these onerous charges, which experts say are extremely excessive."

Bettina: "In other news, the Town & County Police are totally clueless in the case of Easton Windham, who was found tortured and murdered in a home in the Kensington subdivision. As you heard first on Channel Two News, Easton Windham is the former husband of TCPD Operations Officer Teresa Croyle, and the house where the crime took place was being rented by BOW Enterprises, whose CEO Todd Burke is Police Commander Donald Troy's nephew and Teresa Croyle's current husband. Commander Donald Troy has not responded to numerous requests by KXTC Channel Two News for comment."

Bettina: "And in local politics, both Federal and State lawsuits filed by the State Democrat Party to force deeply unpopular Republican Governor Val Jared's Independent State Counsel investigation of Hunter Stenson, son of candidate for Governor Hoyt Stenson, to be ended, were dismissed with prejudice. The Federal Court ruled that the lawsuit did not have Federal standing, and State Superior Court Judge Clarence Scales in Midtown ruled that the State Democrat Party did not have standing to sue. He also stated that attempting to use the Court System to stop a legal investigation was a violation of the Separation of Powers."

Bettina: "And Republican candidate for Lieutenant Governor Ruby Russell responded to Press questions on why she has declined to make any joint appearances with Sharon Marshall. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Ruby Russell saying "My campaign differs from Lieutenant Governor Marshall's. I am a true Republican, running on a campaign of true Republican values of compassionate Conservatism, and supporting hardworking undocumented workers in their hopes of a legal path to Citizenship and work here in the United States, as well as lowering taxes for the State's hardworking citizens and productive businesses."

"Would you say Sharon Marshall is a White Nationalist?" yelled a reporterette.

"She's not Val Jared." said Ruby Russell. "No one is as much a racist as Val Jared is. But to more accurately answer your question, Sharon Marshall's views are not in line with the Republican Party and true Republican values..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"That bitch is doing everything she can to insinuate that we had something to do with Easton's murder," said Commander Teresa Croyle, "besides investigating it, of course."

We were drinking coffee as we watched in the Chief's Conference Room. Only Paulina was not present; she was at the Courthouse, preparing for the trial.

"It was that way all last week." Captain Tanya P. Muscone said.

Chief Sean Moynahan added "KXTC even filed a lawsuit to get our evidence and the full autopsy reporrrrt. Judge Folsom denied it, but then Bettina went on air to say that yooooo, Mr. Crowbarrrr, were trying to hide the details of the invest-i-gayyy-shunnn."

"O-kay, I see what she's doing." I said.

"Isn't that obvious?" replied Deputy Chief Cindy Ross. "She's trying to get people to think that you and Teresa, and maybe Todd, are the perps, or are covering up for the perps."

"You're right, in a manner of speaking." I said. "She does get to take her cheap shots at us, especially me, and of course she thinks it bothers me that she does that 'refused to respond' crap. She can pound sand on that for all I care."

I continued: "But I'll bet it's more, to wit: The Windham death is part of the wider Federal investigation, and they're not telling Bettina a 'freeking' thing. So she comes out with this in the hope that we do respond to it. Even if we were to give KFXU an exclusive, it works in her favor. She wants us to come out and say (air quotes) 'we're working with the Feds' on the case, and that will let the cat out of the bag and give Bettina and the rest of the Media what they need to really dig and push on the Federal investigation."

"Egregiously changing the subject," Teresa said, "that ISC investigation of Hunter Stenson must be really hurting Hoyt in the polls, for them to sue over it."

"And hurting him legally, too." growled Sheriff Griswold. "I'm surprised Bettina even mentioned it."

"She almost has to, Sheriff." said Cindy Ross. "My trusted source, that being Priya, told me that the SNN Networks are mentioning that so that they don't have to mention the other stuff about Hoyt Stenson that is trying to get out."

"Ewwww, what stuff is that?" Tanya asked enthusiastically.

"I'll give you this hint." growled Sheriff Griswold. "Make sure to watch the KFXU broadcast this morning..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello and welcome to Fox University Sunrise!" said Catrina Pierce in the KFXU studios at 8:00am. "I'm Catrina Pierce. Meredith Peller is on assignment, so we're happy to have our political reporter Priya Ajmani with us today. Hi Priya!"

"Hello, and I'm happy to be here with you this morning, Catrina." Priya said sweetly, then said "Here's what's in the news today: Republican candidate for Governor Sharon Marshall has called for her opponent, Hoyt Stenson, to undergo a cognitive test. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Sharon Marshall being interviewed and saying "I believe that Hoyt Stenson is not in full control of his faculties, and may be showing early signs of Alzheimer's. I'm am calling upon Stenson to take a cognitive test by a doctor agreed upon by both our Campaigns."

More tape rolled, showing Marshall at an outdoor rally over the weekend, shouting "Hoyt Stenson won't debate me, he only shows up in public for very scripted events, he never takes impromptu Media questions! Why aren't you guys in the Media demanding he give a Press Conference? Well, I'm demanding that Hoyt Stenson stop hiding in his basement and come out and debate me in public on live television!" The crowd roared.

Back to Catrina live: "The Stenson Campaign did not respond to numerous requests for comment by KFXU as well as other networks. The Stenson Campaign also did not answer questions about the Independent State Counsel investigation against Hunter Stenson, son of Hoyt Stenson. Hunter is being investigated for felony violations of the law regarding lying on a State Firearms Purchase form, as well as emails found on a computer belonging to him that caused allegations of influence peddling."

Priya: "Among the emails on the computer, Hunter Stenson allegedly referred to Corey Coons as the 'n-word'. State Senator Coons is the Democrat candidate for Lieutenant Governor, and to this point in the campaign he has not made a joint appearance with Hoyt Stenson."

Catrina: "To be fair and balanced, the Republican candidates for Governor and Lieutenant Governor have not campaigned together, nor are they likely to." Tape rolled of the same remarks by Ruby Russell that Bettina had reported to us.

Priya: "Lieutenant Governor Marshall had this to say in reply. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Sharon Marshall being interviewed by the much shorter Priya, saying "My views are the views of the majority of the American People and the People of the State that want our immigration laws to be faithfully enforced, supporting our Police that risk their lives to serve and protect us, and less intrusive Government in our lives, as opposed to the crony capitalism of Establishment Elites like Wilson Hammonds and Ruby Russell..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Wow." said Teresa as my three Angels, the Sheriff, and I watched in my office prior to the Angels Meeting. "So Bettina is only showing part of the story, because this thing about Hoyt Stenson's mental abilities is going to hurt him in the Election."

"It already is." growled Sheriff Griswold. "His poll numbers are starting to drop."

"Don," Cindy said, almost cattily, "what do you think about that tête-à-tête between Ruby Russell and Sharon Marshall? And Fox even showing it?"

I replied: "I'm no fan of Fox overall, but that does show how much more integrity KFXU has than Bettina and KXTC. I also notice that Meredith Peller declined to be part of that report. She tends to be (air quotes) 'on assignment' whenever something really bad about Hoyt or Hunter Stenson is being featured in the reporting."

I continued: "As to Marshall and Russell, I'm most surprised that Sharon Marshall even bothered to take those shots at Hammonds and Ruby. I'd have expected her to take a higher road. But I'm not surprised at what Ruby said. She's being crushed in the polls by Corey Coons, while Marshall is ahead of Stenson. And as I've tried to tell y'all many, many times: the Republican Establishment Elites would rather see the Democrats win than a true Conservative win. And I think you just saw proof of that."

Cindy asked "Aren't you worried that the Republican split will cost them the Governor's Mansion, as well as both Houses of the State Legislature?"

I said "I'd like to see an experiment in the Republican primaries one day, where one true Conservative runs for President against 16 or 17 'low energy' Establishment Elites. I'd be willing to bet that that Conservative would pound every one of those Establishment pieces of crap into the ground, despite Media cries of each Establishment candidate in turn being 'our last hope' before falling by the wayside, and the Conservative would win the nomination going away."

"Don't you dare bet against him on that." Teresa 'warned' Cindy, who wisely just shrugged her shoulders and gave up.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8:30am, Monday, September 14th. Superior Court Judge Rodney K. Watts had 'invited' Paulina Patterson and Gwen Munson into his Chambers.

"Your Honor," said Gwen Munson, "we have Commander Donald Troy and Lieutenant Commander Teresa Croyle on our witness list, as does the Prosecution. But neither of them are here in the Witness Room."

"Your Honor," replied Paulina, "we're going to be most of the day if not all day doing Jury selection and opening arguments. The FBI has made a request to interview Commander Troy and Commander Croyle, and are doing it today before they get called to the stand."

"Your Honor, this is intolerable!" Gwen Munson exclaimed. "Commander Troy should be in the Witness Room and nowhere else until he is called to the Stand. Why is he allowed to flout the rules of this Court like this?"

"Let me get this straight." said Judge Watts. "You, Ms. Munson, are whining about the rules of this Court being flouted? Really?"

"Your Honor," Gwen said fearlessly, "I ask for a continuance so that I can ask a higher Court to have you removed as the Judge on this case. I believe you are biased, especially against me-------"

"DENIED!" Judge Watts yelled, making Paulina almost jump out of her seat. "And I'll tell you right now, Munson: this is a high-stakes case with a lot of Media and political interest. As such, I expect you to act at all times in a professional manner within the rules and procedures of this Court. You don't even get two strikes and foul pitches in this one... the first time you start your shenanigans up, you'll be in Commander Troy's jails for Contempt of Court. Do you understand me?"

"No, Your Honor." Gwen said icily. "I renew my objection to you as the judge because of your bias and lack of impartiality."

"Object all you want." said Judge Watts. "But this trial goes forward... today. And if you cross the line even one time, Ms. Munson, you go to jail... today. Having said that... Ms. Patterson, you do need to have Commander Troy get through with his business with the FBI as quickly as possible. When it's time to call him to the Stand, he needs to be here and ready to go."

"But Your Honor!------" Gwen started up. Paulina thought the 'Teresa Cunt' look was the deadliest thing on earth... but Judge Watts's glare at Gwen was a close second. Still, Gwen turned to Paulina and said "Well, I guess your lover gets to flout the rules yet again."

"You are despicable." Paulina said to Gwen.

"And your daughter is a halfbreed!" fired back Munson. Deputies came in and separated the women after Paulina launched into the attack...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 9:00am, the Duty Desk buzzed me and said that three Federal Agents were here to interview me. They were identified as FBI Special Agent Martin Nash, DEA Special Agent Kevin Pitts, and ATF Special Agent Lindsey Black.

"Let me handle this." said the Chief as he came out of his office suite as if fired from a cannon. "You go into the Main Conference Roommmm." I did so, with my attorney Mike G. Todd, who was in my office with me.

As the Federal Agents came down the hallway with a Patrol escort, the Chief and Deputy Chief met them before they got to the entrance to my office. "I'll just tell you nowwww," Moynahan said, "that Commander Troy will not answer any of your questions if Agent Black is in the room."

"Good!" said Lindsey Black. "Then he's obstructing a Federal Investigation, and I'll arrest him right now." She started towards the main Conference Room, but found a green crowbar blocking her path, held by it's owner. Speaking of 'if looks could kill'...

"Assaulting a Federal Agent, eh?" said Black. "You're under arrest, too."

"Try and make that happen, bitch." Cindy growled. "And we'll add 'murder of a Federal Agent' to my charges."

"Ladies, please." said the Chief. "Agent Black, why don't you come with me, and you can watch in my Conference Rooooom. That is, unless all of you just want to leave."

"We'll take that." said Martin Nash in his dispassionate voice.

"I won't!" Black said angrily. "They're under arrest..."

"Stop it, Lindsey!" said Kevin Pitts. "They're not obstructing, and you haven't been assaulted!"

"Who's side are you ON?" Lindsey fired back.

"YOU ARE NOT HELPING US! JUST... STOP!" Pitts yelled into her face.

Shocked, Lindsey Black gave Pitts and Nash ugly looks, then went with the Chief and Cindy to the Chief's Conference Room. Nash and Pitts were brought to the Main Conference Room, where my attorney and I sat on the far side, our backs to the sunlight coming through the windows lining the far wall.

As they sat down on the near side (to the door) of the table, Kevin Pitts said in as friendly a voice as he could: "Commander, you don't really need a lawyer. This isn't about you, and it's just a conversation."

"I am being interrogated by Federal Agents." I replied, keeping my voice calm and level. "I have the right to an attorney, and I insist upon that right."

"Very well." said Martin Nash. "I don't have to read you your rights, Commander, but you know that lying to Federal Agents is a felony Federal crime. So, let's get started. On or about Wednesday, August 12th, you met with Jack Muscone, is that not right?"

"What is this about?" asked Mike G. Todd.

"We're asking the questions, here." said Nash. "Commander------="

"No, I'm asking the question." I said authoritatively. "What is this about?"

Nash saw that I wasn't going to play his way, so he said "This is part of an FBI OPR on the conduct of Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone regarding the investigation of Archie Brody and Brody's subsequent suicide. Now if I may ask my questions-------"

I said "I'll save you the trouble. Federal Judge K.M. Landis told me, to my face, that the actions of SAC Muscone and the Russo BAU team were well within the bounds of the Law. So what is the point of this interrogation?"

Kevin Pitts tried. He said in a persuasive voice "Commander, it's not an interrogation. It's an interview. We're just trying to ascertain the facts, and get to the truth here------"

I held up a hand to stop him then looked hard into his eyes as I said "Agent Pitts, I realize that you don't know me very well, and I don't know you very well, either. But Agent Nash here knows me very, very well, so he knows I don't play bullshit games... yet he's here trying to get me to play this... bullshit game."

I continued: "What I also know, Agent Pitts, is that the FBI does not open expensive OPR investigations just to determine the truth of something. They open them, and spend all that taxpayer money, to ultimately bring a case for termination or to bring criminal charges against someone. And as I just said, a Federal Judge said that Muscone broke no laws in the Brody case. Go interview Judge Landis, he'll tell you that himself."