Big in Japan Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Don," Adele said as I came up to her, "let's go back here a second." I followed her through the door and down the hallway to an empty room, and Adele shut the door. She did not notice me reach up and 'fiddle' with my ink pen in my shirt pocket.

"Don, don't ask how I know," Adele Peabody said, "but Judge Watts is about to be informed that the Jury already has a verdict on all eight charges... and that verdict will be 'guilty' on all counts!"

"Thanks." I said. "I've got to go put the Force on alert." We left the room and I went back into the front hallway. "Teresa, put the Force on full alert." As Teresa whipped out her cellphone and began texting, so did I.

My text was to Cindy, and said simply: "Tell her it's going down." Cindy knew that 'her' was Priya Ajmani, and for her (Cindy) to tell Priya and KFXU what Bettina and KXTC had found out by means of a bug planted in the Jury Room...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Members of the Jury, have you reached a verdict on each of the charges?" asked Judge Watts after Court was reconvened and the Jury brought in.

"We have, Your Honor." said the Foreman, standing up. He handed the forms to the Bailiff, who walked them over to the Judge. Judge Watts read the forms, then passed them to the Clerk for recording and reading of those verdicts.

The Clerk stood and looked at the Defense table. Gwen Munson rose, but Breonna Bryant remained seated. Gwen had to practically pull Bryant to her feet. Behind them, Bryant's father also stood up but his eyes were not on the Jury. He was staring squarely at me.

The Clerk read the verdict. "On Count One of the Indictment, Murder in the Commission of a Felony, we the Jury find the Defendant, Breonna Bryant... guilty."

Reporters near the back scrambled for the door, almost climbing over each other. Gwen Munson looked disappointed and a bit angry, but I was surprised to see that Breonna Bryant did not look upset nor scared... she looked a bit sullen, but had a strange look of determination on her face. By way of contrast, her father had a look of bitter anger and deep hatred on his face, totally directed at me. I just looked right back at him.

Judge Watts banged his gavel until he had order in his Court from those remaining. Then he had the Clerk read the remaining counts, and they were all 'guilty' verdicts. When that was done, the Sheriff, Teresa, and I stood and shook hands with Paulina. Breonna Bryant and her father hugged one last time, then she was taken out of the Courtroom by Deputies...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, with breaking news!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette from the designated Press area in front of the Courthouse complex. I had cynically put up signs around it saying 'First Amendment Area', for which I would get a 'talking-to' by the Chief. But I digress...

Bettina: "A jury with no blacks on it has convicted Breonna Bryant of Felony Murder! Ms. Bryant, an Honors student at the University, was charged with that crime after our colleague Lester Holder, civil rights activist Jacquez Wilson, and six others died in an explosion while Ms. Bryant and other People of Color were peacefully protesting outside the building."

Bettina: "We have with us the father of Breonna Bryant." The camera panned out to show Breonna Bryant's father, looking upset and angry. "Mr. Bryant, how do you and Breonna's mother feel about this?"

"We're devastated, Bettina." said the man. "Breonna's mother is so sick with worry that she had to be hospitalized, and is now at home recovering. I'm here, but I'm just sick and angry at this."

Bettina: "Mr. Bryant, your daughter was an Honors student at the University, socially active, and never had so much as a speeding ticket before this. How do you feel about the way your daughter was treated by the American Justice System?"

"Bettina," said Mr. Bryant, "it's the American IN-justice System. We've always done it the right way, the way we were told we were supposed to. We obeyed the Law, we raised our daughter to work hard and study hard to make her own way. And for that, the White Oppressors, led by the racist Governor Val Jared, Mayor Daniel Allgood, and especially Police Commander Donald Troy, crushed my daughter and destroyed her life."

Bettina said: "Also with us is Dr. Lionel Carmela, Breonna's Faculty Advisor at the University, who testified on her behalf about her good character. Dr. Carmela, do you blame a dishonest, White-biased legal system for this? Is the American Legal System biased against People of Color?"

"Absolutely, Bettina." said Dr. Carmela, who was clearly enjoying the moment and the spotlight. "The racism of the White dominated legal system was apparent, especially in the Police brutality of Commander Donald Troy."

"Mr. Bryant," asked Bettina as a crowd of reporters were sticking microphones in their faces, "do you believe the Police arrested your daughter because she was protesting White Police brutality against People of Color?"

"Bettina," said Bryant, getting emotional, "Donald Troy is a racist cop that personally made sure my daughter was destroyed. Donald Troy took my daughter from me. He's effectively ended her life, and I'm sure he's happy about it. I just hope People of Color that are as outraged as I am will act. I just hope that one day Donald Troy will feel the pain that I am feeling now, the pain of having his halfbreed daughter taken from him forever!..."

Part 24 - The Waiting Game

11:00am, Thursday, September 17th. I was leading a meeting in Classroom 'J'. Present were Sheriff Griswold, Chief Moynahan, the Sheriff's Chief of Staff Charles T. Oswald, Senior Deputy Sheriff Louis Bailey, Deputy Chief Cindy Ross, Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, Precinct Captains Hewitt and Abrams, Captain Tanya P. Muscone, Lieutenants Davis, Mary Milton, Myron Milton, Rudistan, and DeLong (2nd Precinct), Sr. Sergeant McGhillie, and SWAT Team leaders Patrick and Kalsu.

Also present were Captain Cortese, commander of the local State Patrol Office, and in overall command of State Troopers sent to our County to help, and Captain William Thorpe, in command of the National Guard troops sent to help. He was the son of legendary General Whittington S. Thorpe, and a hardcore leader in his own right.

A clear plastic whiteboard/chalkboard was next to me on the slightly raised stage floor at the end of the room. A large map of the Town & County, similar to the one framed in plexiglass in my office at The Cabin, was attached to the back side of the board, so that I could draw on the plastic in dry-erase pen.

"Status report, Commander Croyle?" I said after making introductions all the way around.

"Yes sir." Teresa said. She was in the front row, so she stood up and faced sideways, addressing me and everyone else: "There were initial attempts to breach our barricades near the Courthouse, from the east, going along Elm Street, and the south, near J.P. Goldman Bank. By the way, Eastside Elementary, east of and behind the Courthouse complex, is within the perimeter, and is locked down."

Teresa: "The attempts to breach were repelled with smoke near the school, and tear gas near the other locations, as well as rubber bullets and beanbags fired at the few that breached. We made six arrests, and pushed the rioters back almost a block. We also extended the blockade of Riverside Drive to Jefferson Avenue, so that Police Headquarters is within the perimeter."

Teresa: "There were attempts by two groups, mostly young and looking like University students, to cross University and march west along North Street, which is a major road. One group attempted to go further north, into the wealthy suburban areas north of Town... Kelly Carnes's District. Another group attempted to divert south back towards the Square. Both groups were immediately interdicted and forced back. They ran back to Campus, and it appears they've dispersed for the time being."

Teresa: "Another couple of groups attempted to cross from the Campus onto Jefferson Avenue and MLK Jr. Avenue. We stopped both groups cold, and forced them to disperse. So far, they've been more noisy than actually violent."

Lieutenant DeLong raised his hand. "Sir, ma'am," he said upon being recognized, "it looks like those incursions from the Campus were staged. But we're expecting more spontaneous events to crop up, which might be more violent or destructive in nature."

"I agree." I said. "I also expect them to get larger and more persistent, especially as night falls."

Cindy raised her hand and was recognized. She said "We've had all of the schools call for the buses, and for parents to be called to pick up their children. We've also activated the Emergency Alert System and broadcasted that a total dusk-to-dawn curfew is in effect, and to avoid driving into large groups of demonstrators."

"Good." I said. "Thank you." I went to the map board and began drawing with the Sharpie. "Okay, everyone, this is our plan. I'm going to ask the State Patrol to deploy on Campus, and break up any relatively large groups that begin forming. I believe we have the power to lock down the Campus, but if it's the State Patrol enforcing it, the Haters can't complain as much. At any rate, that should remove threats from Campus."

I continued: "The TCPD is going to base out of this Headquarters and 2nd Precinct Headquarters, and work from west to east, then north to south. We will deploy to break up any groups that form anywhere, but I think that as darkness approaches we're going to have to start creating a perimeter line that we cannot allow to be breached. With the help of the National Guard and the State Patrol, that line will form along Jefferson Avenue and University Avenue. We'll push the line west from University, protecting the businesses and clubs of the Tenderloin District on that side; and we'll push south, protecting the Downtown District, then the Industrial and Warehouse District."

"We're protecting the Tenderloin District?" asked Captain Cortese of the State Troopers.

"You betcha." I said. "That last thing I want is for T-Square's clubs to be set on fire like the old Cub Club was, and for T-Square to subsequently take the violent protesters's side and gin up even larger riots."

Captain Cortese said "But if they burn his places down, why would he then join them?"

"Are you familiar with the Battle of Sekigahara, Captain?" I asked. Seeing nearly everyone's looks of confusion, I said "I'll explain that later. Lieutenant?"

"So we're basically pushing them into the southwest area of Town." said Lieutenant DeLong, and we all could sense what he was insinuating.

"The verb 'push' was probably not the best word I could have used." I replied. "If I have my way, we'll 'push' (air quotes) the violent agitators right into the River. So 'contain' or 'confine' might have been a better term. And to more accurately state our mission, it's to protect lives and property, and in the form of the businesses."

Chief Moynahan got up and said "Let me try to explaaaain in military terrrrrms." He relieved me of the Sharpie and drew a line that encompassed all but the Southwestern Ghetto, then said "By holding the line in the southeast, we protect the businesses in the southern, predominately-black areas of Town; and by stopping anything at all from forming to the north of the line, we protect the business of all ethnicities in the Town business centerrrrrr."

The Sheriff then got up and addressed the elephant in the room. "Let me address what I think Lieutenant DeLong was rightly asking about. I know what that looks like on that map, and I'll address it head-on. And you're all Police blue or Army green here, so I'm going to be very politically incorrect in saying what needs to be said."

Griswold: "If you study riots and unrest, from the Chicago 1968 riots to the Watts riots in L.A., both in the sixties and after the Rodney King beating verdict, as well as more recent riots like Minneapolis, Portland, Atlanta, the City in our State, and especially the hellhole that is Wilmington, Delaware, you'll see that they occur mostly in the most poor districts. Notice I didn't say 'Black districts', but only a fool can't see that many poor areas are predominately Black."

Griswold: "So our military minds in Chief Moynahan, Commander Troy, and Captain Thorpe are planning with regard to where the violence is coming from, and where it's likely to take place. And our true goal is to stop all of the violence in its tracks, before people get hurt, businesses burned, and property destroyed."

"Thank you, Sheriff." I said as the Sheriff and Chief gave me my meeting back. "And I'll add one thing that you, Commander Croyle, and you Precinct leaders need to get out to the Officers: I know that the situations we had last summer heightened racial tensions within the Force as well as without. So if there are any Officers, especially black Officers, that have any problem with what we are going to do to put down any violent riots, I'll understand."

I continued: "There are plenty of things that need to be done, support tasks, manning posts at the Old Mill and Headquarters, or County Jail. There are ways Officers can help the Force achieve our mission without being on the front lines next to me. Put out that word, and we will not hold it against anyone that has reservations about what's going on here."

Captain Muscone raised her hand and asked "Sir, should we be watching the Press in all this------"

I held up my hand and said "Stop. We'll talk about that later."

"Sir, the Press may show us where they're congregating to-------"

"Captain!" I said severely, "I said 'Stop talking.' We'll talk about the Press later." Tanya looked very sullen at that...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After the meeting was over, I called Tanya into my office. When she came in, I said "I apologize for having to bear down on you like that in front of everyone. But I did not want you talking about the Press in front of everyone."

"Why not, sir?" Tanya said defensively. "As the Sheriff says, if you study previous riots in other cities, these things always start or escalate right in front of the Press's cameras that all too conveeeeeniently are there------"

I held up my hand. "I know. I know." I said. "I know more than anyone that the Press are partners with the thugs in creating the violence that destroys property and gets people killed. But the State Patrol and National Guard commanders were in the room, and we can't say in front of them... nor our own junior leadership, to be honest with you... that we follow the Press to find the thugs, and we certainly can't tell them that I'm trying to get evidence that the Press is ginning up the riots, so that I can put reporters in prison."

"Didn't you get that last time?" Tanya asked.

"On Lester Holder." I said. "And he's dead now. Anyhoo, that's why I bore down on you. Also, there is something I need you to do while the Enemy thinks we are distracted by the protests, and you may feel free to confer with local elements of the FBI on it. I need you to continue looking into the Easton Windham murder, seeing if Jen Sakai or any other bad people are being bad in our County here, and just keep eyes on all that..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You know," Cindy said as she, Teresa, and I assembled in my office, "Lieutenant DeLong made a good point. And while Captain Thompson is the consummate professional Police Officer, I know he has some inner feelings about the Bryant trial and things going on between the Police and the Black Community. So DeLong was not just speaking for himself when he talked about us pushing the agitators into the Southwestern Ghetto."

Teresa asked witheringly, almost bitterly: "Well where are we supposed to confine them to? The Heritage Cloisters?" Cindy turned and gave Teresa a dark look, as if she considered Teresa's reply to be insubordinate.

"Of course not." I said, rescuing my Iron Wolf. "Unfortunately, Cindy, there is just no good, politically correct way to say it. This may be the biggest 'kettling' operation in American history."

"Then let me ask you this way." Cindy said. "Is this a Police operation, or a military one?"

"Yes." I replied.

After an awkward moment of silence, Cindy said "Seriously, which is it?"

I leaned back in my chair and said "You're going to put me on the spot? You're going to make me say it out loud?"

"Don," Cindy said, "you know if you cross the line, the Press will be all over you and the TCPD. And the US DOJ is just salivating at the chance to come in and sue us, and force you out."

"We're not crossing any lines!" Teresa shouted. "We're doing our fucking jobs!"

"Mind your tone with me, Lieutenant Commander." Cindy fired back, her ice-blue eyes flashing cold fire.

"Stop that." I said. "And Teresa is right. But just so you fully understand, Deputy Chief Ross: I have the full backing of this County's politicians, unlike the Police of cities in the Leftwing Looneyverse, who were forced to abandon a Police Precinct building and let the thugs invade and destroy it, like what happened in Minneapolis, who are forbidden to make arrests, and if they do, the Leftwing D.A.s won't prosecute the perps."

I continued: "And with my Mayor, Sheriff, and Chief's backing, I'm going to do the job I have to do. If they come against us with violent force, I will respond with overwhelming violent force."

Cindy obviously did not like that, and since she had put me on the spot, I returned the favor by saying: 'If you were in my position here, what would you do?" Teresa turned her head and joined me in looking hard at Cindy.

Cindy tried to brush it off. "All right, you're going to do what you want-------"

I didn't let her: "I asked you a question, Deputy Chief Ross. And I'm not letting it go until you answer: if you were in my position here and now, what would you be doing about this?"

Cindy said "I'm not in your position, so I'm not going to do hypotheticals." I have to admit, she did a good job of turning my own oft-used words on me.

Cindy got up to go. At the door she said: "I just hope you can see the other side of this."

"It's not my job to see the other side of this." I replied...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Helena buzzed me and said I had a visitor, and I told her to let that visitor in. A moment later Corporal Inga Gunddottar was standing in front of my desk.

"I'm here to help, sir." she said.

"I appreciate that, Corporal." I replied. "But I can't put you out there. You're not cleared for field duty."

"Any duty, sir." said Inga. "Anything that will help."

I picked up the landline and called Lt. Mary Milton. "Lieutenant, I'm sending Corporal Gunddottar to Intel. Put her to work in there..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2:00pm, Thursday, September 17th. I went into the Intel Center for an update.

"The National Press Corps is set up at the south end of the Fairgrounds." said Lt. Mary Milton. "The Sheriff said to let them stay there, as it makes it easier to watch them."

"The Sheriff's expertise in dealing with the Press is... im-press-ive." I quipped. "What about KXTC, KSB, and the local networks?"

"One van is at the Courthouse, in the 'First Amendment Area'." Mary said with a wicked grin I grinned too, then Mary said "Their other van is with the National Media vans at the Fairgrounds. I'm not sure if that's to stay in touch with them, or if they're using it as a staging area to jump off to wherever trouble starts."

"What about drones?" I asked. Mary called over Terry Halston.

"Sir," Halston reported, "our Police drones are being monitored downstairs in the I.T. and Communications area, and they're relaying data to our Patrols whenever we see vandalism occurring. I'm monitoring the Press drones that they're sending up from the Fairgrounds. So far all I'm seeing is standard flight patterns. It appears they're looking for trouble spots the same way we are."