Big in Japan Ch. 04

Story Info
Trial conclusion; shutting down riots; Don's family attacked.
14.5k words
4.85
6.5k
5

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/24/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Note: if you try any of the whiskeys discussed in this story, please drink responsibly.

***

Part 22 - Town & County v. Breonna Bryant Redux

"Prosecutor, Defense Counsel, I'll see you both in Chambers." said Judge Watts. They followed him out the door as we all sat there, wondering what was going on.

"What's going on?" Teresa whispered to me. "Do they have a verdict already?"

"I don't know." I said. "But Judge Watts looked right at me for a second before asking the lawyers to join him in Chambers. So maybe they dooooo..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Once in Chambers, Judge Watts said "The Jury sent this note to me. They are unanimously agreed on seven of the eight charges against the Defendant, and the only one left is the Felony Murder charge. They are asking if they can consider a lesser charge, such as Voluntary Manslaughter. I want your input before I give them an answer."

"Someone in there must know the law." said Paulina. "Man-1 would be the next level down."

"But that wasn't one of the original charges." said Gwen Munson. "So I'm opposed to allowing them to consider a lesser charge. 'If the charge don't fit, they must acquit.'."

Judge Watts grunted a laugh at that play on attorney Johnny Cochran's words in the O.J. Simpson trial ("If the glove don't fit, you must acquit!"). "Very amusing." he said. "What say you, Prosecutor?"

"If there is any possibility that considering a lesser charge could lead to a successful appeal and overturning the verdict," Paulina said, "then leave it as is."

"Oh, any guilty verdict is going to be overturned after all of the points of appeal I've accumulated." Gwen Munson said cattily.

"But you won't be the one making those appeals after I move to have you disbarred." said Judge Watts. To Paulina's shock, Gwen Munson just smirked at the Judge.

"I'm going to tell them that I'm considering their question overnight, and send them to their hotel." said Judge Watts. "Be here at 9:00am tomorrow morning..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

7:30pm, Wednesday, September 15th. For reasons of safety and better security, Laura and I and our kids and dogs were staying at The Cabin on a weeknight, as were Molly and her boys. Paulina had brought Tasha to spend the night, as well.

"Well, it's just about over." Paulina said to us as we adults sat in the greatroom after supper. She told us about the meeting in Chambers after Judge Watts had gotten the Jury's note. "I have no idea if they're in agreement to acquit or to convict, but the Felony Murder is the only sticking point, from what the Judge said."

"Sounds like they're leaning toward convictions." said Molly.

"I'd like to think so," said Paulina. "But nothing is final until that verdict report is signed and the Jury states it in open Court. They could be voting unanimously today, but then the Judge says they have to vote Felony Murder or nothing, and in a snit they change their previous vote to acquit on all charges."

"True." I said, almost absentmindedly. "But I think Molly's right. Tell me this... could Gwen arrange a plea bargain at this late hour?"

Paulina emitted a low whistle, which got the redoubtable Bowser's attention. As he padded over, Paulina said "Wow, I don't know. I've seen cases where insurance companies fight a claim for eight years, take a plaintiff suing them right up to the moment a line is formed outside the door for jury empaneling, and then they settle. But I don't think I've seen a plea bargain made after the Jury has been charged and is deliberating. I guess it's theoretically possible, and may have happened the past. But knowing Judge Watts, he'd never allow it at this point. Why?"

"Just curious." I said as I petted the redoubtable Bowser. A moment later, Carole appeared.

"Daddy," said Carole, "Sheriff Griswold is about to arrrrive. He wants to talk to you, and it must be im-por-tant."

I said "I'm sure it will be------"

"WOOF!" barked Bowser. A second later we heard the sound of tires on the driveway. And a moment later, Laura opened the door to admit Our Sheriff.

"Hello everyone." he said as Carole and Tasha hugged his legs. "Hi Bowser." he said as he petted Bowser, who wagged his tail mightily at the attention. "Don, can I talk to you outside for a moment?"

"Sure, Sheriff." I said. "Bowser, do you need to go out?" Buddy appeared out of nowhere and beat Bowser to the door. They scampered around the side and down their hillside trail to do their business as the Sheriff and I sat in our 'usual' places on the deck.

"It's getting cooler." growled Griswold. "We'll be using that wonderful fire pot soon."

"Would you like me to light it now?" I asked, taking the hint and moving forward to light it.

"Sure." the Sheriff barked. I started the gas and lit the fire pot, then sat back in the metal mesh loveseat as the Sheriff settled into his seat to my left, and began:

"I acted on your advice", he said, "and personally searched the Jury Room for bugs after they were taken to their hotel for the night. I'll add that we had them get their belongings and we put them in different rooms with no television nor wi-fi access." I nodded.

Griswold continued: "I found a bug in the Jury Room. Small but high quality transceiver. I left it alone, because if I tell the Judge, he'll have to declare a mistrial. We'll find a way to get it out of there later. So... how did you know?"

I said "Just before the Jury sent the Judge that note, one of Gwen Munson's minions came up to her and began whispering something. Munson had a look of horror on her face for a second or two. And then Judge Watts sent the Jury to the hotel. I didn't know it for sure, of course, but it struck me that the Jury room might be bugged; hence, my call to you------"

I heard the back door open, and turned to see Teresa Croyle coming onto the deck. "Sorry to bother you, gentlemen," she said, "but I got a call from Headquarters. They're monitoring the situation in Courthouse Square. The number of protesters have doubled in the last hour. They're not really doing anything, but they are clustering in groups, as if they're getting marching orders, for lack of a better term."

"Are there Media people there?" I asked. "Anyone staging the protesters?"

"We're looking for that." said Teresa. "But so far, nothing like the way Penis Holder used to stage them."

"With the Sheriff's permission," I said, "let's institute the dusk-to-dawn curfew, especially around the Square."

"Hell, I'll do you better." growled Griswold. He got out his cellphone and made calls, instituting the curfew himself. Teresa followed up with orders to clear Courthouse Square...

Part 23 - The Trial, Concluded

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Thursday, September 17th, from the roof of the building at Riverside and College, with the Courthouse complex in the far background across the Square. "Tensions rise as the Jury decides the fate of Breonna Bryant!"

Bettina began: "The Jury is now deliberating eight criminal charges against Breonna Bryant, four of them felonies, including a ridiculous charge of Felony Murder. The University Honors student, who had no prior criminal record, is on trial for her life after peacefully protesting White Police brutality against People of Color on the night eight men died in the Block House explosion."

Bettina: "Last night, Sheriff Antonio Griswold ordered a dusk-to-dawn curfew throughout the County. He also ordered Courthouse Square to be cleared. As you can see behind me, there is no one except Police marching on the grounds of the Square. Sheriff Griswold is a close friend of deeply unpopular White Nationalist Governor Val Jared, and a strong supporter of illegitimate Mayor Daniel Allgood as well as Commander Donald Troy, who had to be pardoned by Jared after allegations of raping a woman in his custody were made."

Bettina: "Politicians throughout the State are condemning white District Attorney Miriam Walters for allowing the prosecution of Ms. Bryant to have taken place at all, and they're also rallying to Breonna Bryant's support. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Corey Coons condemning White Police and promising to defund the Police Statewide. Then Hoyt Stenson was shown, reading a prepared statement from his basement (literally), saying: "And when I'm Governor, I will fully pardon Breonna Bryant for any crimes for which she's convicted, felony or misdemeanor..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As my Angels and I drank coffee in my office, Cindy said "My confidential Media source told me that the SNN Networks and even some National networks are sending vans here. They've been traveling by night, and probably will come on in and set up by the time Court goes into session this morning."

Tanya said "I have word that the US DOJ Civil Rights Division sent Ava Hinds and her team to the City, and they could be anywhere in the area."

"They're in Lexington, in Hamilton County." I said. Tanya looked wide-eyed in my general direction, probably wondering how I knew that.

"Why are they attacking Miriam Walters?" asked Teresa. "Paulina is prosecuting the case."

"Doesn't do much for their narrative if they say a black ADA is doing the prosecuting." I said. "Also, there's something more, and you'll hear more about it soon: in many large cities that have been experiencing riots and bloodshed, from Portland, Oregon, to Wilmington, Delaware, rabidly Leftwing District Attorneys are refusing to prosecute black criminals and violent protesters."

I continued: "The Police arrest someone, the D.A. says 'I'm not prosecuting him because he's black and was arrested by racist white cops.', and they have to let him go. The Police arrest the same thug the nest day after he beats or shoots dead someone, and the same Leftwing D.A. makes a point to release the perp again."

Your Iron Crowbar: "That's why the Media is attacking D.A. Walters... how DARE she actually prosecute criminals! How DARE she not let them go and curse the Police for arresting the murderer! THAT is what the Media has to stop, so that the criminals continue to go free and the Police are demoralized."

"If Bryant is found guilty," Tanya asked, no perkiness in her voice, "will there be more riots?"

"Yes, and they'll be worse than anything we've seen to this point," I said, "even if Media cameras are not there to stage it and record it. And we, the TCPD, are going to show the corrupt politicians of Portland and especially Wilmington, Delaware exactly how violent criminal protests should be handled------"

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was my Police iPhone. I answered it, then said "Yes, Your Honor... I'll be right there, Your Honor." After disconnecting, I said "Let's move, Iron Wolf. Judge Watts wants to see you and me in Chambers right now, before anyone is really aware that we're there..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Thank you for coming so early." said Judge Watts after Teresa and I had been admitted to his Chambers and followed his example of getting some coffee before sitting down at his desk. "You are sworn to secrecy on what I'm about to tell you, but I need to tell you so that you can prepare your Police Force."

"We appreciate that, Your Honor." I replied.

Judge Watts said "As you know, there are a total of eight charges against Breonna Bryant, four of them felonies. The Jury has found the Defendant guilty of seven of those eight charges, but even the felonies carry only a short amount of prison time, if any at all. They passed me a note yesterday asking if they could consider a lesser charge than the Felony Murder, such as Voluntary Manslaughter."

Judge Watts: "Both the Prosecution and Defense opposed consideration of the lesser charge, though for different reasons. But even if we end up with a hung Jury or an acquittal, I expect there will still be guilty verdicts. And I know what that's going to mean out there."

"Yes sir." I said. "We're ready, Your Honor..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8:45am, Thursday, September 17th. Bettina Wurtzburg got into the shotgun seat of the KXTC van that was parked in the alley behind the building from where she did her morning broadcasts. Her cameraman was driving. As they got to Riverside Drive, the cameraman turned on his signal to turn left, to go south on Riverside, which was opposite of the way to go to get back to the KXTC studios.

"Why are you turning left?" Bettina asked.

"Look over there." said the cameraman. Bettina turned and looked out her door's window, and saw TCPD Officers putting up barricades, closing Riverside Drive where it formed the west border of Courthouse Square, going behind City Hall.

"They're closing the Square?" Bettina said with a gasp. "Stop the car! Back up back into the parking lot!" She meant the four parking spaces behind the building, one of which KXTC paid the building owner well in exchange for exclusive parking rights. The driver backed into the space, and Bettina got out and ran up Riverside Drive to the corner with College Avenue. Two Uniformed TCPD Officers came up to her.

"The Square is closed, ma'am." one Officer said.

"To pedestrians?" Bettina asked, shocked.

"Yes ma'am, to everyone." the Officer said. "By order of the County Sheriff. No vehicles, no pedestrians." Bettina looked along the length of Courthouse Square. There had been a few protesters in their red 'Antifa' shirts beginning to gather, but they had been escorted off, under threat of arrest.

"Oh my God." Bettina said as it hit her. She turned and yelled to her cameraman: "Scott! Let's go!" As they got back into the van, Bettina was on her cellphone: "Yes, it's me. Listen!... Goddammit, shut up and listen to me! It's going down now! The Police are closing off the Square! They know something! The Breonna Bryant verdict must be imminent!..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:00am. Judge Watts was announced, came in and sat down, and gaveled Court into session. "Prosecution, Defense, do either of you have anything before I bring the Jury in?"

"Sidebar, Your Honor?" said Gwen Munson.

"Both sides, approach." said Watts. Both sides approached the Bench. It is possible that Your Iron Crowbar was admiring Paulina's lovely backside in the tight jacket and skirt suit she was wearing, and remembering how those luscious asscheeks had felt smacking into my groin as I deeply fucked her dogstyle the night before... But I digress.

"Your Honor," said Gwen, "how are you going to instruct the Jury on consideration of a lesser charge?"

"You're about to find out, Counselor." said the Judge. "When I bring in the Jury and answer their question."

"I ask, Your Honor," said Gwen, "because I know this is irregular, but if the Jury cannot consider manslaughter, I'd like an hour continuance... to negotiate a plea deal with the Prosecution for Man-1."

Watts looked stunned. He looked at Paulina, who did not seem to look as stunned, and silently reminded himself to never play poker with her. "Prosecutor?" he asked.

"I'm bound by the Code of Ethics to consider it, Your Honor... if you allow it." Paulina said. "I will have to contact District Attorney Walters and get her ultimate approval."

"You have one hour." said Judge Watts...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As Teresa and I waited, sitting in the front row behind the Prosecution table, I felt a strange vibe. Without turning my head, I moved my eyes over to the Defense side of the room. I saw Breonna Bryant and her father both staring at me, with looks of bitter, malignant hatred on both their faces.

I turned my head and looked squarely in Breonna's eyes, then her father's, and I held his look until he finally looked forward again. But the sense of utter hatred did from him did not dissipate in any way...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10:10am, Thursday, September 17th.

The Judge returned to the Bench, and a moment later the two attorneys were called up for a sidebar.

"No progress, Your Honor." said Gwen Munson. "The Prosecution will not agree to any reasonable terms."

"I'm not dropping the other charges, nor reducing them." said Paulina, insinuating that something of that kind had been part of Munson's demands in exchange for a guilty plea for Manslaughter-1.

"Very well." said the Judge. "I likely would not have accepted a plea bargain, anyway. You may return to your seats." They did so as the Judge said "Bring in the Jury."

Everyone stood up as the Jury filed in, Breonna Bryant looking sullen and put out at having to honor that formality. I studied their faces hard, but could not get any reading from them.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the Jury," said the Judge, "I have pondered your question of being able to consider a lesser charge, such as Manslaughter, instead of Felony Murder. You are considering eight charges, all of them separately from each other, and deciding if each charge has been proved in its own right. But none of them cover a lesser charge than the Felony Murder charge, and there were no additional but lesser charges tacked on for you to consider."

"Therefore," said Judge Watts, "you must consider the Felony Murder charge itself, and come to a unanimous verdict, one way or the other. So, please return to your Jury Room and continue your deliberations."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"She was willing to let Breonna plead to Involuntary Manslaughter, but she wanted the other felony charges dropped." Paulina said to me and the Sheriff as we talked in the hallway during a recess called by the Judge (who needed a potty break for himself). Teresa was doing Teresa things, checking in with her Captains to make sure the TCPD and our allies were ready.

"And then she pushes an appeal of that, and the other felonies are gone." I said. "I'm glad you held out. What did Miriam say about it?"

"She said it was my call." Paulina said. "She did say that it was more important to her that we not lay grounds for any appeals, so to take that into consideration. Between you, me, and the crowbar, she fully realizes that Munson and the Media would love to get a new trial closer to Election time, or just still have it hanging out there, unresolved."

Teresa came up, and I excused myself and stepped away from the others so that she could whisper to me: "Protesters are at our barricades all over the perimeter around the Courthouse." I knew that extended for a few blocks in all directions, and that College Street was shut down all the way to University Avenue.

Teresa: "I did get one report from Intel Branch. They've been following the Press, trying to get some evidence of the Press staging rioters or otherwise criminally aiding and abetting the violence. We didn't get that, but KXTC and the SNN Networks have been a beehive, trying to get into positions in several places around Town. And their cub reporters in the Courtroom have spoken to Bryant's father, maybe to make sure they can get statements from him."

"They know something." I replied. When I looked over, Paulina had already returned to the Courtroom. I saw The Intendant, Adele Peabody, near the entrance to the back hallways, and I said "Wait here a second." Teresa waited, though she moved four feet down the hallway to engage Our Sheriff in conversation, filling him in on our preparations.