Birthday Pool Party Ch. 38

Story Info
The hospital.
15.4k words
4.66
13.6k
20

Part 39 of the 43 part series

Updated 04/10/2024
Created 09/05/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hey guys, here's Chapter 38! I hope you enjoy it. I'm trying something new here, I hope you like it. Please let me know! Like I've said before, I read every message and comment that I receive, and I appreciate all of them. Please note that I've kept this chapter in Group Sex only because that is where I've been posting the story and I don't want anyone to miss a new chapter. Not all chapters will actually have group sex in them. Sorry there isn't much sex this time around, but it didn't seem to fit in. If you're just looking to get off, this might not be the chapter for you! As always, this is a world without STI's, and everyone involved in sexual activity is at least eighteen years old.

-Witty

~Kayla~

All of my closest friends have hospital stories. Marcia getting her tonsils taken out, then being able to eat nothing but ice cream for a month. Ashley having her arm set after a bike accident, I remember all of us signing the cast. Hazel meeting her baby brothers for the first time, holding her siblings in her arms and cooing at them.

These stories all have happy endings. My friends' stories all indicate that hospitals are a place people go in hurt, but come out better. Or where they first meet their new family members. Or where they flirt for the fist time, with a boy with a broken leg.

I have a hospital story of my very own. No, it isn't of me being sick or hurt, or of me meeting a new sibling. My hospital story is of the worst day of my life. Worse even than my experiences with Keith. My story doesn't end with ice cream, or healing, or with adorable babies. It ends in death.

Eleven Years Earlier

"Time to wake up, Kay-Kay!" a woman's voice coos softly.

I open my eyes and look up into Mommy's smiling face. Her blue eyes are shining with happiness as she gazes down at me. I'm snuggled up under the blanket, holding a stuffed pink bunny rabbit. Mommy leans in and kisses my forehead, making me giggle. She then pulls my pink blanket off and playfully starts tickling my sides. I laugh and squeal, struggling to escape as Mommy's long raven hair hangs down and lightly touches my face.

"Mommy!" I screech as I kick my feet.

"C'mon, Cutie, let's go. Breakfast!" Mommy says before giving me a quick kiss on the cheek.

I hop out of bed, my bare feet landing on the hardwood floor. I'm wearing pink pajamas in my pink room. I'm a girl, and I'm proud of it! Mommy takes my hand and leads me over to the vanity she has set up for me.

Sitting at the vanity in Mommy's lap, I smile happily as she softly sings to me while brushing my hair. The same dark hair as Mommy. I love that I look so much like her! Except for my eyes, I have Daddy's green eyes.

"Where's Daddy?" I wonder. Mommy and Daddy always wake me up together. We're a family.

"He got an important call about work." Mommy answers as the brush runs through my hair.

"But it's Sunday!" I whine.

"I know, he won't be long." she promises.

"He's always working." I pout.

It's true. Daddy works all the time! I hate it! I know I'm being selfish, Daddy always makes time for me. Still, Mommy doesn't work anymore, Daddy shouldn't have to either! Mommy explains it to me though, she says that Daddy loves his job, and he's the reason we are able to move into this huge house. I think she calls it a mansion.

We move a lot. This is the third time! Mommy promises this is the last move. The mansion is our forever home. I remember nodding and asking if I'll ever get a sibling. Mommy has tears in her eyes, and says that they are looking into finding a baby that doesn't have a home. I still don't understand why Mommy doesn't want to grow another baby in her tummy.

"He is getting a lot more people to work for him, he'll have more time for us soon." Mommy insists.

"Okay." I grump.

Mommy brushes my hair for a few more minutes, singing to me the entire time. Then she puts my dark hair into the cutest pigtails. I feel so pretty! I smile happily at my reflection before hopping out of her lap.

Taking Mommy's hand, I walk with her down the hallway until we reach the biggest living room in the house. It's gigantic! Also, as soon as we walk in, I see him. Daddy! I squeal and run up to him, my arms outstretched as I go in for a hug.

"Hi, baby girl!" Daddy grins as he bends his knees and pulls me into his arms.

"Why don't you two relax, I'll make breakfast." Mommy offers.

"Thank you." Daddy replies.

Daddy and I cuddle on the couch for a little while and he reads me a story. I love cuddling with Daddy. No matter how busy he is, he makes sure we get our morning cuddles in. I smile and close my eyes as Daddy reads. Yeah, I can read on my own now, but I still enjoy being read to.

After Daddy finishes the chapter, the two of us head into the dining room. Mommy has a nice breakfast set out for us. There's a plate for me, and I sit in my usual spot as Mommy and Daddy sit down as well. We start eating, all three of us enjoying Mommy's amazing cooking.

Mommy and Daddy are talking about Daddy's work while I eat scrambled eggs. I don't understand what they're saying. Big words about things that mean nothing to me. I'll get it soon, though. I am seven years old, after all!

The eating and talking continues, and soon Mommy and Daddy are asking me about school. I tell them all the latest gossip. They're both smiling at first, however, Mommy soon makes a face and places her hand over her forehead.

"Another headache?" Daddy asks in a concerned voice.

"It's nothing, I'm fine." she replies.

"I really think you should see a doctor." Daddy comments.

"Steven!" Mommy hisses. "Not in front of Kayla!"

"Right, sorry." he sighs.

"Are you okay, Mommy?" I wonder.

"Never better, Kay-Kay." Mommy smiles.

"Okay, good!" I respond before taking a sip of my drink.

"Do you want some aspirin?" Daddy offers Mommy.

"I'm fine, Steven. Don't worry about me." Mommy insists before turning to face me. "Do you wanna go shopping for your Halloween costume after breakfast?"

"Yeah!" I say excitedly.

Halloween is just a couple of weeks away! I can't wait; I love candy. Plus, Halloween is Mommy's birthday. She's so lucky to be born on candy day! Mommy is so old though, she says she's gonna be thirty! I can't imagine being that old. I ask her if she remembers the dinosaurs, and she calls me a brat.

"Did you decide what you wanna be?" Daddy asks.

"Not yet, Daddy." I answer, shaking my head.

We finish breakfast and I help Daddy clean up while Mommy relaxes with a cup of coffee. I don't understand why adults drink coffee. I remember begging Mommy to let me try it. Gross! Biggest mistake of my life!

Once the table is clear, Mommy and Daddy head into the big bedroom to shower and dress. They both remind me to brush my teeth. I just roll my eyes. I'm seven, not two! I know how to brush my teeth without being told.

I enter my bathroom to shower and brush my teeth. Then I get dressed in the clothes Mommy has out for me. I am able to put my hair into pigtails without Mommy's help, which I do. Then I'm ready for the day!

My parents take me to a store that specializes in Halloween. It's only open for the season. We shop around for awhile, until I find the scariest witch costume. I try on the black robe and conical hat. It even comes with my very own broomstick!

"Well, aren't you the cutest, little witch!" Daddy comments with a grin.

"I'm not cute, I'm scary!" I insist as I stomp my foot.

"My mistake!" he laughs.

"Hmph!" I pout.

"Maybe we can paint your face green, so you're extra scary." Mommy suggests.

"Okay!" I agree happily.

Daddy buys the costume and we leave the store. He then drives us to the local mall to do some shopping. I love the mall. The stores, the people, it's great! Mommy buys some new clothes, Daddy needs new shoes, and I get a fun new board game.

We get home just in time for lunch. Daddy makes me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, as well as sandwiches for himself and Mommy. Lunch is fine, although Mommy clearly has another headache. This time she agrees to take some medicine to feel better.

After lunch, Mommy says she's feeling dizzy so she goes to lay down. Daddy gets mad and insists she goes to the doctor. She promises she'll call tomorrow, and once again reminds him not to make me worry. I think Mommy forgets that I'm a big girl now. Daddy takes her into the big bedroom before coming back to stay with me.

Daddy and I play with my dolls for a little while before he puts on a movie for me. I cuddle with Daddy on the couch as we watch an animated film. It's really good. I love the extra big TV we have now. Everything looks almost life size!

Mommy wakes up in time for dinner and says she's feeling much better. Daddy cooks and serves us some yummy chicken. He reminds me to eat my vegetables, making me roll my eyes again. He smirks and tells me I'm being rude.

Now that dinner is over, it's time for our weekly game night. I love game night! My parents set up the game and we start playing. Daddy says he wants to do this with us even when I'm all grown up. I promise Daddy that I won't grow out of games. He smiles and says he is hoping I'm right.

We're in the middle of my new game when it happens. Mommy starts acting weird. She lets out a breath as she clutches her forehead in pain. Daddy is looking at me and doesn't notice at first, until he sees me staring. Then he turns his head to see what I'm looking at.

"Kayla, go wait in the other room." Daddy states firmly as he stands up.

"Is Mommy okay?" I ask nervously.

"I-I'm fine. I'm okay." Mommy manages to gasp out. "Listen to your father, Kay-Kay."

"No!" I exclaim as I look between my parents. "Mommy, I wanna stay with you!"

"Kayla!" Daddy shouts as he helps Mommy to her feet. "Go in the other room. Now!"

Daddy never yells! My eyes go wide and I actually let out a gasp. Then I hop to my feet and run from the room. I'm two rooms away, tears in my eyes as I realize that I can't leave Mommy! I decide to go back and listen at the doorway.

I tiptoe my way to the entrance to the big living room and listen in. I can't tell what's being said, but Daddy is whispering urgently to Mommy. I peek around the corner just in time to see Mommy collapse into Daddy's arms. I gasp as he lays her down gently and pulls out his phone.

"Aria! Aria!" Daddy shouts as he dials and puts the phone to his ear.

"Mommy..." I mumble quietly. No one hears me.

"My wife just collapsed. I need an ambulance!" Daddy says into the phone.

I listen as Daddy gives them our address. He stays on the phone as he checks Mommy and tells the person on the phone that she's still breathing. Of course Mommy is breathing! Right? I can't stay out here anymore, Mommy needs me!

"Mommy? Daddy?" I ask loudly as I run into the room.

"Kayla, Mommy isn't feeling well." Daddy explains as he runs over to me while still holding the phone. "I need you to wait in your room. Please."

"Daddy, I'm scared." I mumble as I start really crying.

"Everything will be okay, just go wait in your room, Honey." he says in a soothing voice.

"O-okay." I nod as I turn and run from the room.

I wait in my room for what feels like forever. I'm laying in bed, holding onto my stuffed pink bunny rabbit as I cry my eyes out. Finally, after what seems like hours, someone knocks on my open door and walks into my bedroom.

"Kayla?" Daddy calls out.

"Daddy?" I reply as I turn in my bed to face him. "Is Mommy okay?"

"The ambulance came and is taking her to the hospital." he explains. "They're gonna make her feel better."

"C-can we go to see her?" I ask.

"Of course, we'll go right now." Daddy agrees. "Put your shoes on."

I put my shoes on while Daddy calls his parents. Then he calls Mommy's parents as he leads my by the hand out of the big house. Daddy ends the call when we reach his car. He opens the back door and helps me into the car. Daddy reminds me to buckle my seat belt, which I do.

My heart is racing as I sit quietly and watch Daddy. I can see him let out a breath. He's trying to be strong for me, but I'm not dumb, he's scared. Daddy's scared, and so am I. I'm crying again. I want Mommy. I want Mommy and Daddy to hold me and for everything to be okay.

We finally make it to the hospital and Daddy leads me inside. He talks quietly with some lady behind a desk who says Mommy is being looked at by doctors. Then Daddy takes me to a waiting area and we sit down to wait.

Mommy's parents arrive, looking scared. They sit with me while Daddy goes back up to the lady behind the desk. He seems upset as he makes a gesture toward the doors. I can't hear what he's saying, but I see the lady look at him and shake her head. She also makes a face indicating she's sad. She must be worrying about Mommy, too.

"Any news?" Grandma asks when Daddy returns.

"No." Daddy shakes his head. "The nurse said Aria's still in with the doctors. Someone should be out to tell us something soon."

"She just collapsed?" Grandpa wonders.

"Yes." Daddy confirms. "She's been getting headaches lately, but they weren't very bad, so she didn't want to see a doctor. She just figured she'd mention it at her yearly physical in a few months."

"You didn't make her go see a doctor?" Grandma hisses, looking angrily at Daddy.

"I can't make Aria do anything!" Daddy replies in an upset voice.

"You should have taken her to see someone!" Grandma yells back.

"That's enough!" Grandpa insists. "You're scaring Kayla."

"He's right." Daddy nods. "Sorry, baby girl."

"I'm not scared!" I respond.

"Of course you're not." Daddy smiles at me.

We keep waiting. It's almost my bedtime when a doctor comes out and asks for Daddy. I hold my breath as I watch Daddy talk with the doctor. My Daddy has his hand on his forehead and he looks like he's about to cry as he nods to the doctor.

I don't know what's happening! The adults are all talking around me, saying words I don't understand. They try to keep me from the conversation, but they're so upset they don't do a very good job of it. I hear words, words that will stick with me for the rest of my life.

Brain tumor. I don't know what that is, but it is apparently very bad. Another word, a big one. I don't understand it the first time, but when Grandma repeats it, I actually whisper it out loud. Glioblastoma. I'm sure I say it wrong, but the word still echoes in my mind. The only thing I really understand is that whatever it is, it happens fast. Very fast.

Daddy sits me down and explains that Mommy needs an operation before she can feel better. I start crying again. He hugs me tight and promises everything will be okay. Everything will be okay. I believe him. Daddy won't ever lie to me.

Grandma and Grandpa take me back to their house while Daddy spends the night at the hospital. I don't like this. I don't like it! I wanna be with Mommy and Daddy. I cry and whine, but I don't get my way. Grandma just promises to take me to the hospital first thing in the morning. It's not good enough. I cry myself to sleep.

I wake up early the next morning. Really early. I can't wait, I have to wake up Grandma and Grandpa. They both insist that I eat breakfast before we go to the hospital. Fine. I eat. I devour what they put in front of me so we can go.

We arrive at the hospital and find Daddy. He's talking to the doctor. She has a sad look on her face. Something is wrong with Daddy. It's like he's empty, like the color is gone from him. He turns away from the doctor and looks at us.

For the first time, I see Daddy crying. Tears are running down his cheeks as his chest heaves. I don't understand. Why is Daddy crying? Where's Mommy? I stand between Grandma and Grandpa, holding both their hands as I look at Daddy in confusion.

Daddy approaches us. I see his lips moving, but somehow I don't hear any of the words. Grandma releases my hand and screams. She cries and falls to her knees. Grandpa just picks me up and holds me tight against his chest. I can feel him shaking against me. I'm confused and scared. I just want my Mommy and Daddy.

The doctor comes back with something for Daddy to sign. I hear the lady doctor mention life support, she says this is for the best. Daddy cries softly as he signs the paperwork. Then he hands it back to the doctor.

Later in the day, Daddy sits me down and talks to me. I realize today is his first and only lie to me; everything isn't okay. His promise is that everything is going to be okay, and now it isn't! I can't breathe. I can't breathe! We never do get to celebrate her thirtieth birthday. Mommy's gone, and she's never coming back.

~Ian~

"Kayla?" I call out as I lightly shake my girlfriend's shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"Wha-?" she mumbles as she shakes her head before looking at me in confusion.

It's late Monday night and we're at the hospital. All of us. Well, almost all of us. Kayla, Stephanie, Lexi, Ashley, Marcia, Nicole, and I are all waiting to hear from Steven about Hazel. Kayla doesn't look well, so I have to say something.

"I asked if you were okay." I repeat. "You don't look so good. You're really pale."

"I'm okay." Kayla swallows weakly. "I was just thinking about how much I hate hospitals."

"I don't think anyone likes them." I reply with a smirk, trying to lighten the mood.

"You're probably right." she nods.

Glancing at the clock, I realize it is more accurate to say that it's Tuesday morning. Lexi and Nicole are chatting, so are Ashley and Marcia. Stephanie is pacing nervously. There are a few other people here, strangers, but not many. It's just Kayla and I standing over here right now.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" I wonder.

"I-I was just thinking about the day Mommy died." Kayla admits with a sniffle.

"I'm sorry, Kayla." I whisper as I open my arms for a hug.

"Thank you." she replies as she falls into my arms.

I hug Kayla tightly as I rub her back, trying to show her how much I love her with this simple gesture. I really do love this woman. She means the world to me. Kayla is so kind and smart, she genuinely cares about other people.

"Is there anything I can do?" I ask.

"No." Kayla cries as she shakes her head against my chest. "I'm just so worried about Hazel. I don't wanna lose her, too!"

"We don't know anything yet." I respond. "I'm sure everything is okay."

My statement makes Kayla let out a loud wail as tears stream down her face. She clings tightly to me as I coo softly to her while rubbing her back. She looks so shaken, far beyond what I expect. I mean, I know about her mom's death, but still, Kayla is really broken up.

"Thank you for coming." Kayla mumbles.

"By your side is where I belong." I insist. "Besides, it got me out of an uncomfortable conversation."

"What do you mean?" she asks, pulling back to give me a puzzled look.

"Well, Stephanie did pick me up and bring me home from the cookout." I admit sheepishly.

Monday Afternoon

"Thanks for the lift," I say, smiling at Stephanie.

"It'll cost you a kiss!" Stephanie giggles as she leans over.

I smile and kiss Stephanie's soft lips. She moans softly as we make out while parking outside my house. My fingers lightly caress her cheek as I use my touch to remind her that she is safe with me. She's always safe with me.

"That was nice." I tell her when we break apart.

"It was." she agrees. "Thank you."

"For what?" I ask.

"For doing so much for me." Stephanie explains.

"It was my pleasure, Stephanie." I answer. "I'm here for you."

"I believe you." she responds. "I feel so safe with you and Kayla."

"You are safe with us." I confirm.

"So, again, thank you." Stephanie smirks.

"You're welcome." I nod before leaning in to peck her lips. "I should get inside before my parents worry."

"Text me?" Stephanie asks.

"Of course!" I agree.