Black Valentine's Day

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

An hour or so later as she was going crazy trying to keep track of all the orders, she looked up to see the line was still six or seven customers deep. Everyone had a special request and most were buying some of the pastries or cookies as well. The tip jar was seeing little cash but fortunately most of the credit card payments included generous tips. It promised to be a good day for her bank account. As she thought about how Eileen, the owner, would be very happy with the day's take, a sudden thought raced through Ashley's mind.

An espresso stand! Connor could open his bar early in the day for espressos and pastries and then switch over to alcohol later in the day. They could even overlap during the lunch hour. He would get positive use of the space for six or so hours early in the day. She couldn't wait to tell him her idea. The rest of her shift flew by before she rushed home and pounded up her stairs. In her apartment she opened her computer and spent the next several hours researching information on espresso stands and equipment costs before penciling out a rough business plan and proposal for Connor.

After she had dinner, she went downstairs for a drink. Reilly's was fairly quiet except for a group of office mates who were whooping it up in one corner celebrating a birthday. Ashley looked at them and realized they had brought with them a cake and snacks. 'What a lost opportunity,' she mused to herself. Connor brought her a glass of her favorite wine before turning back to the other customers. Later he offered to refill her glass but she declined. "Uh, no thanks, Connor. Hey, you got a few seconds?"

"A few, sure. What's up?"

"I think I may have something exciting for you, you know, about the bar and stuff. Could we maybe get together tomorrow before you open?"

"Yeah, sure! How about nine?"

"Great. See you then. How much do I owe...?"

"On me. Enjoy your evening and looking forward to seeing you in the morning."

From her apartment she called a coworker and arranged to swap shifts the next day. For the next couple of hours, she refigured the numbers and made a nice, clean copy of her proposal and recommendations before crashing into bed.

She woke with a start at seven, showered and ate a hasty breakfast. Promptly at nine she knocked on Connor's door. She was rewarded by seeing him yet again without his shirt but with half of his face still covered by shaving cream.

"Hi, Ash, be right with you."

She watched him head towards his bathroom with wide eyes, a dry mouth and a sudden hollowness in her pelvis. He was so damn handsome! Suddenly, all of her ideas and her little practiced sales pitch vanished from her brain as she contemplated how she'd love to spend a night with him. But she knew she'd couldn't, not if she succeeded in selling him on her idea. A few minutes later he returned with his tight T-shirt emphasizing his muscular chest and his jeans leaving practically nothing to the imagination.

"So, what cha got? You sounded pretty excited last night, so, shoot."

"Well," she stammered, trying to get her mind back on track, "I've written down the details of a business plan and, uh, the next section is a proposal." She felt herself blush slightly at her last word. "You see, I think the main problem is you're tied to limited hours in the bar and the space is empty the rest of the day. What if we, uh, you, could utilize your space for another six hours or so? Then you'd get more money and your rent wouldn't change a bit. The way I see it, you could expand your business for minimal costs and fairly immediate returns."

"Wow. What do you have in mind?"

"Well," she said nervously, "An espresso stand with coffee drinks and baked goods."

"Uh, not something I know much about or even care about, quite frankly."

"Well, look here at the proposal. Here are all the numbers. Startup costs would be well south of fifteen thousand. A good quality machine would be around five or six grand and the rest is for all the additional items plus a cushion to pay the barista for the first few months."

"What about the baked goods?"

"To start you could get some things wholesale, you know, cookies and things that'll keep overnight. Later, if we do well, you could hire a parttime baker, but that'd be only when things are truly rocking."

"You know this is a bar and minors aren't allowed so that'd be a problem."

"I looked into it. We, uh, you could set up a moveable barrier midday when you open the bar allowing kids to be with Mommy on the coffee side and only adults on the other. Once the espresso side shuts down, say right after lunch, the whole place is a bar again. A few signs here and there and you'd be good to go."

"I don't know, Ash. You're talking about baristas and employees and you know as well as I do that makes things way more complicated. For example, doing employee taxes is a major headache."

"Connor, the biggest part of this business plan is your 'partner' who would help take care of a lot of these details so you could concentrate on the bar."

"Yeah, and who would be crazy enough to be a partner with me, anyway?"

She sat across the tiny dinette table from him with a sly grin.

"Well?"

Her grin got bigger as she sat up straight and looked him in the eye. "Connor, for an educated guy you can be dense sometimes. Me!"

"You?! Are you crazy?"

"Yeah, I am. But I look at it this way; I'm already a barista for someone else and if I switched here, I'd be working for me, well, and for you. And with my college training, I could help run the business side of things. Could even save you paying the accountant when she does your taxes, things like that. And think about the extra income. The espresso stand could 'rent' space from you or you'd get a slice of the pie."

"Well, I don't know. This is so much to think about all of the sudden."

"Don't think about it 'all of the sudden.' Think about it over the next few weeks. Read the details of the proposal. I've included several options for you to consider. Take your time. And I know one of your customers could answer questions whenever she's in here getting a glass of wine. By the way, you need a couple more vintages."

"Jeez, you're not even a partner or employee and you're telling me how to run my business," he laughed. "OK, I'll look at it. Let's plan on talking again in a few weeks."

"Great, Connor. Give it some thought. I think you'll like it, in fact, I know you will."

-----

Less than two weeks later Ashley was enjoying a glass of wine, a new vintage, she noted, when Connor walked back to her end of the bar.

"Hey, like the wine?"

"Yeah. It's good. New one?"

"Umm-hmm. Someone told me I needed to try more vintages so I figured I'd go with it."

"Ohh? Someone telling you how to run your business?"

"Yeah, but the fact of the matter is, she was right. I know some of my regulars might grumble..."

"But you might get more customers, right?"

"Yeah. But you'd probably make this place all girly and my long-term customers will run from here screaming," he chuckled.

"No, not as long as you serve them what they want. Keep the Guinness and the nice imported beers and you should do fine...Uh, does this mean you're thinking about it?"

"Oh, I'm thinking, believe me. How about we sit down again tomorrow morning and I'll tell you what I'm interested in."

"OK. When?"

"Make it nine and let's meet here."

"Sure," she responded with a bit of disappointment in her mind. She'd not be able to see him half-dressed but at least he was interested in her ideas.

-----

The next morning, she took her personal, pod-espresso machine downstairs and arranged it on the bar nearer to the door. When she heard Connor in the kitchen, she fired it up making them both a nice latte.

"Morning. Already making espressos in my bar," he joked.

"Sure, why not? Sugar?"

"Half a spoon, thanks," he added as he plopped down on the barstool and laid her paperwork on the bar. "Mmm, good," he acknowledged.

"Thank you. A real, professional quality machine would make one so much better."

"Look, Ash, you can drop the salesmanship. I'm sold on your big idea and..."

"Honest?" she cried as she jumped over to him and gave him a big hug. "I know it'll work and I'm so glad you're willing to try this."

"Hey, relax," he teased, "Hugs of congratulations are reserved for when we make a profit."

"Good. I'll look forward to your next hug," she smiled, "Now, which of the options were you thinking?"

"None of them."

"What? I don't understand..."

"What I'm saying is I want to do this, I think it will work, no, I know it will work. But what I don't like is being your 'boss.' I think we should create a corporation or a partnership which will pay the bills, receive the income and at the end of the day, we split our profits."

"Oh, wow. I could see that working but it's not fair to you, is it? I mean, you've put in all this work for years, you've built the name recognition and I come along and split the profits?"

"What I'm suggesting is we pay ourselves on a percentage basis after the bills are paid. Common costs are split fifty-fifty and costs for each business are calculated monthly and by percentage."

"Huh?"

"Let's say after our common costs are paid, you know, rent and utilities, we then have our own costs. We pay ourselves with that in mind. If my costs are fifty-five percent of the total and yours are forty-five, then you'd get more income at the end of the month."

"That doesn't seem fair. Why don't we give ourselves an even fixed paycheck and at the end of the year we see how much is left. You'd take sixty percent of it and I'd get forty. I mean, it is your place, you've put in so much over the years."

"OK, so you want to play hardball, huh?" he smiled. "How about fifty-five/forty-five?"

"You're being too nice. I think we should include income...."

The conversation lasted for over an hour with them finally coming up with a reasonable plan. He agreed to cosign her business loan and they planned for an opening within three weeks. Ashley resigned her spot at her work and when one of the other baristas heard why, she indicated she'd be willing to fill in now and then for Ashley at Reilly's.

Ashley had some nice signs made for the sidewalk directing potential customers to the new business at the bar and with butterflies flitting around in her tummy, she unlocked the front door one Monday and opened for business.

Her first customer was a well-recognized figure.

"Connor, what are you doing here?"

"Wanted to get the first espresso before you get jaded," he laughed. As he sat there drinking his latte, he was encouraged to see a handful of customers looking around and ordering their drinks. As long as the bar was closed, the barrier was not needed but by late morning when he needed to open the bar, he rolled it out. Coffee drinkers stayed closer to the door and the bar patrons were further away and behind the barrier. Ashley shut things down at two pm as Connor was getting busier.

It was apparent within a few weeks the idea was a success. Next door was a thirty-story office tower and many employees dropped by on their way to work, making the hours between seven and nine extremely busy. On one particularly crazy morning the line was six and seven deep and Ash was feeling almost overwhelmed when Connor walked in, grabbed an apron, gently nudged Ash aside and spoke to the customers.

"How ya doing, hey? I'll take your orders and Ash will make your drinks. That should get you out for your dander real quick," he announced with his brogue.

"Connor," she hissed, "Not necessary."

"I know it, but looked like you could use a little hand to beat back the crowd. Maybe someday you can help out in the bar. Afterall, we're in this boat together."

"Yeah, we are. Thanks."

After that, he seemed to drop by around eight am occasionally to help out for a bit and she found herself dropping by the bar in the early evenings to help out with taking orders and running the dish washer. They found themselves working long hours but the payoff was great. Within a month they were doing extraordinarily well, paying off the loan and putting more money than anticipated in the bank.

In order to keep from killing themselves, they agreed to close both the espresso stand and the bar on Sundays. On their fourth Sunday they sat down and reviewed the books. Both were very pleased and they found themselves in a festive mood.

"We need to celebrate your success. Dinner with me tonight?"

"Sure, Connor, it'd be nice to have someone else cater to us for a change. When and where?"

"Come down to my place at six and I'll figure out something in the meantime."

At five minutes before six she lightly rapped on his door.

"You're early," he teased as he let her into his place. As he had a few times in the past, he had answered the door clad only in his slacks, something which caused her heart to kick into overdrive. "Be right with you."

He disappeared down the tiny hallway but not before she called out, "Where're we going?"

"Giorgio's. Know it?"

"I've heard about it. Kinda expensive, isn't it?"

"A little, but we're celebrating, so why not? Ready?" he asked as he returned wearing a beautiful, deep blue shirt under a sport coat.

"I'm not dressed up..."

"You look fine, great even. I doubt the maitre d' will kick out someone as attractive as you."

"Thank you," she whispered as her heart soared. He thought she was attractive! She knew she had decent basic parts and felt she looked 'OK,' but she never thought she was beautiful, not by a long shot. Her hair was somewhat unruly at times, she hated the freckles across her cheeks and she always thought her figure could use more curve up top and less across her butt. But hearing him compliment her looks was a phenomenal ego boost. "You're not half-bad yourself, you know."

"And I thank you. Let's grab the Lyft I ordered and head on out."

Dinner was wonderful. The food was sumptuous, the portions were adequate without being overwhelming and the wine was a sommelier's dream. They spoke a little about Reilly's but spent most of the time getting to know each other more. Connor claimed to have mostly recovered from his previous relationship, though he said it with a frown, and it didn't seem he had found anyone since. As he reminded her, working six evenings a week definitely cut into his social life. She told him about her mother and father, both of whom were openly disappointed she was 'just a barista' after she had put in all the work for college. She had been unable to convince them her degree helped with the business side of Reilly's and tried to remind them about plans for consulting gigs to earn extra income.

When Connor led her from the restaurant, she lightly slipped her hand inside his elbow and kept it there until the Lyft arrived. Back at their place he gently placed his hand on her low back as he escorted her into the building. His touch seemed to start a low burning sensation, something she knew could easily cause her to 'misbehave,' as her mother would phrase it.

"A gentleman should escort you to your door," he mentioned as they went in the main entrance.

"Connor, really, not needed," she laughed, "I go up and down these stairs several times a day."

"Maybe, but I insist."

After opening her door, she turned to him awkwardly and asked if he wanted to come in. He held her look for a few long seconds before declining. "You've got an early morning tomorrow and I'd best be going."

"Thank you for the lovely evening, Connor. Was fun." She reached up and gave him a tiny hug which he seemed to gently return, but when she turned her head up to him seemingly inviting a kiss, he mumbled he'd best be going and turned away.

Inside her apartment she relived the entire evening. Connor was a great guy and she found herself attracted to him, seriously attracted. But, and it was a big but, she wasn't sure the feelings were reciprocated. He did guide her with his hand lightly placed on her low back but she had initiated the other episodes of touching. And he clearly turned away when a goodnight kiss was offered. "Maybe it's the business thing and he doesn't want to get involved with a business partner. Maybe it'd be best I forget thinking about anything like that."

However, he had turned her on more than a little and after she crawled between her sheets, her right hand slid down inside her sleeping shorts and 'pet the kitty' until she had a soft, warm climax.

For the next several weeks they continued to go out together on Sunday afternoons or evenings, usually for a bite to eat and to relax. On one evening they walked through the streets of the city and at a particularly busy street corner he took her hand and led her to the other side of the street. Once on the sidewalk, she tried to keep holding his hand but he pulled it away, frustrating her even more.

Connor remained always the 'gentleman' and escorted her to her apartment after their time together. Occasionally he would stay at her place for a bit before excusing himself. She found herself more and more frustrated as she was growing increasingly fond of him, yet he remained reserved and didn't seem to pick up on her nonverbal cues. Holding him by the elbow, giving him small hugs, trying to hold his hand and even offering her lips to him didn't penetrate his apparent aloofness.

One Monday proved to be extraordinarily busy. Ashley was at her stand nonstop until late morning when the crowds eased and she was able to sit down for a few minutes and have a small snack. There was an upsurge in business right after lunch as Connor placed the room divider and prepared to open the bar.

Since she was so busy, she kept at her station selling coffee drinks and bakery goods. Shortly before she was to shut down her stand, she saw an old friend of hers at the end of the line. Once Cheryl was ordering and the two were chatting, Connor broke in asking for some cream.

"Cream? Sure, but what for?"

"A lady asked for a 'Bee's Kiss,' a drink with cream, rum and honey."

"Sure. Grab some. Right there in the fridge."

As he squeezed behind her, he gently placed his hand on her low back, sending a thrill up her spine. After he grabbed the cream, he thanked her and returned to his end of the bar. Cheryl and Ashley continued to talk as Ash began to shut down the espresso stand. Once she had cleaned up, she invited Cheryl to stay and talk a few minutes over at one of the tables.

"So, how are you liking this work?"

"It's...it's actually very interesting. I love how I'm more invested in this work than when I was only an employee. Connor and I have a nice business arrangement that's working out for us."

"Just a business arrangement?"

"Yesss, it's only business."

"Uhh-huh, sure. I saw him lay his hand on your butt and how you blushed."

"It was on my back and he probably wanted to make sure we didn't have an accident. And, and I did not blush!"

"Ash, I've known you for a long time and you blushed. So, how is he in bed?" she whispered.

"I don't know. We're not doing that. Honest!"

"And you've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell me, too. You two look like lovers no matter what you're doing."

"Think what you will. We've not done anything beyond a couple of dinners together."

"But you want to, don't you?"

Ashley paused a few seconds, looked over to make sure Connor wasn't paying attention and leaned over to Cheryl. "God, yes. I want to jump his bones but he is so reserved. I've given him clues, you know, leaned up against him, hugged him and hung onto his elbow but he won't take the next step. I've even reached up when hugging him and offered my lips and he turns away."

"Is he gay?"

"Don't think so. He was with a woman for several years before she broke his heart, if that means anything."