Bless the Broken Road Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And you never looked into this?" Rob asked questioningly.

"I would never do that to you. I know how much you'd hate it," he said with a little smirk.

"It's a good thing you never did it because if you had, I'd haunt your ass to your dying day and then some," Rob said sarcastically.

"So, what do you need?" Hoss asked.

"I need you to get a message to Gene. I need him to find someone for me as quickly as he can. I'm stuck in this menagerie for God knows how long. So, when Gene locates this person, I need you to get her and bring her here any way you can."

"Her?"

"Yeah. My nurse."

"They get paid to come to see you every day. Is she holding out for more money? You can be a huge pain in the ass you know," Hoss said laughing.

"No. I'll give you the short version but it's confusing as hell. You heard I had memory loss after I woke up right?"

"Yeah. You didn't remember anything going back to when Lisa was in Iraq."

"Right. I didn't remember Jessie at all. And because I thought Lisa was alive, they kept Jessie away from me and never told me about her. They kept everyone away. The only person who was a constant at the time was my nurse Aimee. She and I... kind of bonded."

"Bonded? What the hell does that mean?"

"She was always there for me. And... when I remembered Lisa's death... she was there to stop me from doing some stupid shit. She insisted on being there with me through that. I mean, who would do that? I'm just another patient, right? She knew what I did in Iraq, and she insisted on being with me. She insisted on no security in the room. What does that tell you? I know what it tells me."

"After that, after realizing how she probably felt about me, I... I started having feelings toward her."

"Jesus LT. How do you get yourself into these clusterfucks?"

"Well, it wasn't a cluster, until Jessie came to see me. I didn't know who she was, and we were doing kind of a Q & A. That was knocking some shit loose upstairs. And then Aimee walked in on her rounds. That's when the shit hit the fan. As they argued, memories started coming back, and then reality set in. When Aimee found out about Jessie..." Rob stopped to compose himself," ...I broke her heart, Hoss. I didn't mean to, but I did. I have to fix it. Somehow. I need to talk to her, and she has taken a leave of absence from work. I need Gene to find out who she is and where she lives, and then I need you to bring her in here, any way you can. Because if she doesn't come here, I'm going to go to her, and this hospital and anyone trying to stop me can go fuck themselves."

"I gotcha LT. What's her name?"

"All I know is her first name. Aimee. Spelled A-I-M-E-E."

"I'll make it happen."

When Hoss left the hospital, he called Gene. "Gene, it's Hoss. LT has a job for you to do ASAP."

"Doesn't he always? The only time I got a break from him was when he was playing Sleeping Beauty. What does he want now?"

"He needs you to find a girl. A nurse. She was his nurse at the hospital, but she's gone MIA and LT needs to speak with her. It's very important."

"Of course it is. Okay, what's her name?"

"Aimee. Spelled A-i-m-e-e."

"What's her last name?"

"He doesn't know."

"Jesus H. Christ! Are you kidding me? What the fuck is that boy's malfunction with finding out a girl's last name?"

"Um... Beats me. But it's really important that you find her for him. Get back to me when you've got something."

When Gene got back with Hoss, it was quick because of how she spelled her first name. It was not a common spelling. Her last name was Langford, but he had two separate addresses for that name. He gave both to Hoss and told him to make sure he didn't scare the shit out of the people at the wrong address.

*****

Rob heard a faint knock on his door as he sat on the bed in deep thought. He instantly hoped it was Aimee but then he realized it was likely way too quick for Gene to have found her. "Uh... come in?"

When the door slowly opened, the first thing Rob saw was a huge lion's mane of curly, red hair. In the middle of that mane was a young woman's face, although it was almost hidden by the hair. She looked cute even through the sad and scared look on her face. She didn't look or act like a nurse. She was wearing regular clothes. She didn't look familiar and he had no idea who she might be.

"Mr. Martin?" the girl asked in a quiet voice.

"That's me. What can I help you with?"

"Do you mind if I come in?"

"No. Please do."

She slowly walked into the room, her head slightly bowed down as if she was afraid to look at him or have him see her face. She stopped halfway into the room and stood for a moment before finally looking up at him. Rob could tell that the girl was very scared and leery, but he didn't know why. He didn't think he was intimidating at all.

"What can I do for you?" he asked in the most pleasant way he could.

"I... I've...I wanted to meet you," She forced out.

"Meet me? We haven't met before?"

"No."

A bit of relief quickly washed over him. For a split second, he was worried that he may have known her or should remember her. And he absolutely didn't. Then the thought occurred to him that although she looked too old, the idea that maybe she was his daughter that they conveniently neglected to tell him about shot across his mind. But luckily that didn't seem to be the case either.

"You know my name, but we've never met before? I don't exactly understand, but you'll have to excuse me and any questions I may ask and how I ask them. I had severe head trauma and my memories aren't what they used to be."

"Yes, I knew you had severe head injuries. I didn't know until I tried to visit you that you were in a coma. I'll try to explain. You don't know me, but my name is Alexandra McAuliffe or Alex. I'm here today because you are ultimately responsible for saving my life."

Rob was stunned and his face showed it. He didn't understand how he could have saved her and yet they never met. "I'm, uh... a lot confused. Do you want to sit down?" He quickly looked over the room as if the seating arrangement might have miraculously changed somehow. But all there was to sit on was the recliner and the bed. "Sit on the bed here and I'll take the chair."

"No, no, no. It's fine. I'll sit with you if that's okay."

Rob slid up to the head of the bed to give her as much room as he could. Alex sat down a little bit away from him so she could turn toward him to speak. She took a deep breath and tried to compose herself quickly.

"I'll explain as best I can. Some of what I know came from the news and the internet. So, I don't know how true it is. I've never really learned the entire story. There are some things I can't talk about yet. You mentioned memory problems. Do you remember anything about that night?"

"I have no idea why I'm here and how I was injured so tell me whatever you can. If you can fill in some of the gaps, it may help bring memories back."

"Do you remember your girlfriend being kidnapped?"

"WHAT? Jessie was kidnapped? By who?" Rob was instantly lit on fire and just as quickly fought to suppress his anger. He didn't want to scare Alex away when he was so close to learning what happened.

"Probably by the same people who kidnapped me. I was likely drugged and then taken from a bar in Cleveland."

"A bar? You don't look old enough to be hanging out in bars."

"I had a fake ID. Don't tell anyone though."

"Your secret is safe with me," he said as pleasantly as he could, hoping to put her more at ease.

"When I woke up, I was... I was..." she stopped. Her head dropped down. Her hair completely covered her face, but Rob soon saw a tear land on her thigh. He reached out and gently put his hand on hers.

"You don't have to tell me anything you don't want to, but I'll listen to everything you have to say. Just take your time. Okay?" Alex nodded her head, wiped the tears from her cheeks, and began again.

"I woke up and was tied to a chair. I didn't know where I was or how I got there. But I learned quickly why I was there. I was in that house, that room, for a long time. I only found out later that it was for about a month. There was another girl too. We were never able to talk to each other, so I don't know much about her. She was there longer than I was.

"When you came to save your girlfriend, Jessie, she and one of the men who came with you, found us and saved us. I learned on the way to the hospital that you had been badly hurt and your other friend had already taken you to the hospital before we were found." Alex stopped at this point because she could see the confusion on Rob's face.

"Do you remember any of this?" She asked.

Rob's blank stare told her that he was trying to remember but it didn't seem to click yet.

"Do you want me to go on?"

"Um, yes. Please," Rob said.

"From the best that I can tell, Jessie was kidnapped by her husband and brought to her farm, which is where we were being held. You, along with Brett and your other friend Hoss... Dan, came to save her. You got injured and Dan took you to the hospital. Brett and Jessie found me and the other girl, Julie, in the house. A lot of people died; Jessie's husband, some of his friends at the farm, and some of his friends who kidnapped Jessie. They were all killed by you and your friends. If you hadn't come to rescue Jessie, nobody would have found us and... and I probably wouldn't be here." Tears began to roll down Alex's cheeks as she thought about how close she had come to not ever being found.

Rob sat quietly for a moment. None of what she said made sense. Jessie kidnapped? He killed a lot of people? Who is Brett? Unlike previous occasions, no memories immediately came back. There was no recognition at all. Rob hoped that maybe after a bit, something might trickle back.

"I... I don't quite know what to say. I don't remember any of that but, I'm glad we, or they, were able to save you and the other girl. I'm sorry that you had to go through that. Jack... Jessie's husband, is a real waste of air. Or was, I guess. Was anyone else hurt?"

"No one that was helping you was hurt as far as I know. It was just you. But eight people died that night. Just about everyone in the government is involved in investigating it. You are pretty famous."

"Famous? What do you mean?"

"Word of what happened was made public not too long after we got to the hospital. The press was everywhere. They had to sneak my family into the hospital to see me. It was all over the news and the internet. News trucks were parked outside the hospital and outside of my parent's home for weeks. They couldn't even leave their own house. After it died down with nothing new happening with the story, I was able to leave and I came here to meet you. That is when I found out you were in a coma. I wanted to try again to see you and I didn't know what I would find. I'm happy you are awake and okay."

"It's been a rollercoaster ride, but I think it's close to being over. What happened that night are the only memories I'm missing according to my therapist. Unfortunately, none of it I remember at the moment. But I'm really glad that it turned out good for you."

"Can I give you a hug?" Alex asked meekly.

"Absolutely you can."

Rob was startled as Alex dove into him, knocking him backward. He caught himself with one arm to stop himself from falling completely back onto the bed. His other arm went around Alex. She wrapped her arms around his neck and squeezed for all she was worth. Rob was surprised by her strength. She wasn't choking him, but he couldn't remember ever being hugged so tightly. When he put his other arm around her, that is when Alex lost her composure. At first, it was just tears, but quickly enough she was crying and shaking and letting out what Rob was sure was a ton of pent-up emotions. He held her and left it up to her to decide when she was done.

He went over in his mind what Alex had told him. He had a LOT of questions to ask... everyone. After a while, Alex began to calm down. She finally stopped shaking and the crying was down to mostly sniffling. Still, she refused to let go of Rob.

"I'm sorry," Alex sobbed, "I think I soaked your shirt."

"Soak it all you want. Doesn't bother me a bit," Rob said.

Alex eventually let go and sat back, wiping her cheeks. Rob quickly got up and retrieved a towel from the bathroom for her. "I'm glad you stopped by and I got to meet you. I have questions I need to ask some people but it's good to finally know at least some of what happened that put me in here. Thank you, Alex. I don't know how long I will be here, but I'd like to stay in touch with you if... if that's okay with you. I'd like to know how you're getting along."

"That would be great Mr. Martin."

"Oh please, call me... Rob. Can you write down your phone number for me? I don't seem to have a phone at this time, and I don't remember my number."

"Sure." She grabbed the pen and notepad from his table and wrote down her information.

"As soon as I get a new phone, I will call so you have my number. Call me any time you want. Okay?"

"I will. I can never say thank you enough. If you ever need help with something, anything... please ask me. I'd like to help you in any way I can."

*****

Aimee was undecided on what to do about the immediate future. She knew Bob would be leaving the unit soon and she could return to her job, but she also considered getting a job at a different hospital. This one held some good and some really bad memories for her.

Aimee heard the knock on her front door. She didn't want to see anyone, let alone speak to anyone at the moment but she went to the door and looked through the peephole anyway. It took her a few seconds to figure out what she was looking at. Instead of a face, she was looking at someone's chest in a Black Keys concert t-shirt. Wow, whoever it was had to be huge!

Without opening the door, Aimee said, "Can I help you?"

A very deep, baritone voice answered her, "Are you Aimee Langford?"

"Who wants to know?"

"My name is Hoss and I'm a friend of L ... wait," Hoss thought she probably wouldn't know him by LT. He'd have to try some of his other aliases. "I'm a friend of... Robert? Bob? Rob? Oh hell, I can't keep track of who calls him what. Your coma patient."

"You're a friend of Bob's?

"Yes ma'am. Known him since before we served together in Iraq. I still work for him. I need to speak with you about him. It's important."

Aimee was growing nervous quickly. How did he find her? She looked out the peephole again. By the size of this guy, the door wouldn't have stopped him if he wanted to harm her. Despite his overwhelming size, she didn't feel that he was threatening her in any way. She opened the door but kept the chain attached so she could get a better look at him.

She gasped when she saw the entire Hoss. He was so huge. His arms looked like they were the size of her legs or larger and he had numerous tattoos on them. It looked like he had a tattoo that was peeking out just above the neckline of his shirt. He was very tall and muscular, and she had never met or been up close to someone so big. It was a bit scary but at the same time, it began to pique her curiosity about him.

Hoss smiled when Aimee poked her head around the door. She was so gorgeous. How the hell did LT get all these hot women all of a sudden? Then it occurred to him that she looked a bit like Lisa. It was no wonder that LT fell for her, he thought.

"Ma'am, I'm not going to hurt you. I just need to talk to you for a minute. Bob asked me to find you. It's very important."

"I'll let you in if you stop calling me ma'am. Makes me sound like I'm old. Call me Aimee." She closed the door, unhooked the chain, and then opened the door fully. "Come in, please."

Hoss stepped a little inside her door and then stopped, not wanting to be too intimidating by walking too far into her home.

"I've already told the other nurses that I don't want to talk to Bob and I'm not coming in. Why did he have you find me?"

"He needs to talk with you, and I'm supposed to convince you to go in and see him."

"What if I don't want to see him?"

"Um... then I suppose I'll have to resort to drastic measures."

"Drastic measures? What do you mean by that?"

"If you don't want to go in, I'll have to carry you in."

"You'll WHAT?"

"You need to give him a chance to explain. I have to get you to go in. If you refuse, the only thing I know to do is to carry you in."

"You wouldn't dare!"

Thinking that actions spoke louder than words, Hoss leaned toward her, placed his hands on her hips, picked her up like she was a rag doll, and laid her gently over his shoulder. He wrapped an arm around her thighs and held her so tightly against him. She knew there was no way she could fight and get free.

"PUT ME DOWN!"

"Will you go? I hope you refuse 'cause I kinda like this way better. It's much more fun for me."

Aimee was fuming that this guy was enjoying her predicament. She could swear that he was probably smiling and even laughing while he said that. She started kicking her feet in the air and hitting Hoss's back with her fists. It felt like she was hitting a block wall.

"Please Aimee. Just go and see him. Let him explain. I'll bring you back whenever you want. Just, talk to him. If you don't go in, he'll come to you."

"He can't do that! He shouldn't leave the hospital yet!" Aimee cried from over his shoulder.

"Even he probably knows that, but it won't stop him. If you don't go in, he'll come here to you."

Aimee stopped fighting and sort of slumped into Hoss's shoulder. Knowing Bob as well as she did, she knew Hoss was likely right. "Alright. I'll go. Just let me down," Aimee said in a defeated tone.

Hoss sighed. He really was enjoying the thought of carrying her like that. He gently let Aimee down on her feet.

"You'll bring me back?"

"Absolutely. Whenever you want. I'll even pinky swear if you require that."

Aimee rolled her eyes and tried to act like she was disgusted with the situation, but a little smile did break loose on one corner of her mouth. The thought that this guy knew what a pinky swear was, let alone suggest it, was pretty comical in itself. "Let me get my purse."

On the ride to the hospital, the silence at first was awkward since they didn't know each other and didn't have a common subject to talk about. Hoss finally broke the silence and tried making small talk and asking insignificant questions. That was only slightly less awkward, but Aimee silently gave him a few points for trying. At least he wasn't the typical ass that guys that looked like him normally seemed to be.

When they got to the hospital, Aimee slowed as she neared Rob's room. She tried to think about what she would say, what he would say. None of it was going to make the situation any better. Her anxiety grew exponentially as she opened his door and walked into his room.

Rob smiled when he saw her. It didn't make him happy that he knew what he needed to tell her. But just seeing her again made his heart almost skip a beat. He took an eager step toward her, but she immediately backed a step away from him, cringing, like she was trying to make herself smaller. The smile on Rob's face died, just like a part of his heart did, at seeing Aimee respond that way to him.

"Can we talk for a little bit? I have some things I want to say and I'm sure you do too," Rob said.

Aimee walked over and sat in the recliner leaving Rob to sit on the bed.

He was quiet for a minute, studying Aimee. He wanted to get a feel for where she was emotionally to know how he should proceed. He had hurt her enough already and didn't want to make things worse for her. She wasn't crying but he could see the hurt and pain on her face. The corners of her mouth seemed in a slight frown. She appeared as if she had crawled into a shell.