Bless the Broken Road Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"When I told him my old CO was in trouble, he didn't blink an eye."

Rob smiled inwardly at that. The brotherhood that veterans share doesn't stop at imaginary service lines. When a brother needs help, you do whatever you can. That is unwritten everywhere but inside a vet's heart.

"What was the planned mission? It seems it worked but I'm sure not as planned."

"Jack had four people spread out around the ridge to the east and the north, just like you thought. Mine, on the east, were acting as a team. They were easy to take out being together. Brett's was more difficult. They were spread out a bit. We took four total and that appeared to be everyone. Jack wasn't too worried you were going to make it out of there. They weren't planning on all of us though.

It's a good thing Brett came along, or it could have gotten really hairy getting out of there. And besides, the two girls might not have been found, " Hoss said.

"So, you took me to the hospital?"

"Yep."

"You left Jessie with Brett? To get her out of there?"

"Someone needed to get you to the hospital. I trust Brett. At the time, it appeared we had taken out everyone that was outside. Nobody took a shot at me when I ran outside with you anyway, but I knew Brett would have done everything to get Jess out of there."

"Well, I trust your judgment, but I don't remember him, and I'd like to thank him. Can you at least convince him to come to the pig roast?"

"I'm sure he'll come if he can. I'll call him and make sure he knows the what, where, and whys."

"Thanks, Hoss. If you don't make the roast, I hope you have a good time otherwise."

"Thanks."

When Hoss left, Rob dialed another number. He got the voicemail and started to leave a message.

"Hi Alex, this is Rob Martin. I'm calling so you have my number and I wanted to ask you a question. Could you call me back sometime? Anytime is fine. Thanks."

About two minutes later, Rob's phone rang. "Mr. Martin? It's Alex. Sorry, I didn't answer but I didn't recognize your number and I don't pick up on numbers I don't know."

"That's fine Alex, I understand. How are you doing?"

"I'm doing okay. I have good days and bad days but overall, I'm hanging in there. How are you?"

"Well, I'm out of the hospital and back to work and..."

"That's great!"

"Well, the change of scenery is nice anyway. Listen, I wanted to ask you a question and it's perfectly fine to say no. I'm having a party to thank all the employees at work for their help in rebuilding after the fire. I'm planning on it being the following Saturday and if you feel up to it, I'd like for you to come down. I know Jessie would love to see you. When she found out you had stopped in the hospital, she was very anxious to find out how you were doing."

"Well... I'd like a little time to think about it. How many people will be there?"

"I don't know because only two people know so far but I'll make the announcement today. It will be a family party so it could be upwards of a hundred people or more if everyone shows up. You are welcome to bring anyone along that you like."

"Wow. Um... I'd need some time to think that over. Is that okay?"

"Absolutely. Listen, even if you don't decide until that day, it's okay to show up. There is no RSVP or anything. Oh and, I want to tell you upfront, I've got an invite out to Brett. I still don't remember him and haven't gotten to meet him yet, so the party seemed like a good opportunity. Hoss has all but assured me that Brett will be there. I wanted you to know right away in case it would be an issue for you. Hopefully not."

"Brett will be there? Well I... I'd like to see him again I think."

"He'd probably like to see you too. I'm not trying to sway you in any way. I'm just making sure you know ahead of time. Okay? I'll text you my address and you can either let me know when you make your decision or like I said, just show up. Whatever you are comfortable with."

"Thanks very much, Mr. Martin. I really appreciate you thinking of me and inviting me. I'll let you know."

Rob called Diane and had her put out the word to the employees and then called Jessie to let her know it was a go so she could start planning, which Rob was sure she was already doing anyway. When he got home, he asked Jessie how her day was.

"I've been so busy planning this party. Do you have any idea what the rental cost of a tent is that will hold 150 people? I want to rent a tent; I'm not buying a house. And caterers. That is expensive also but more in the cost range that I was figuring. "

"You'll need to either find one that roasts pigs or else we'll have to find someone just to cook the pig. Hoss isn't going to be there and I'm sure I could do it myself but it's more fun when you have help."

"Hoss isn't coming? What did you say to him?!"

"Nothing! He said he had a date."

"A date? Really? Who is she?"

"He won't tell. His lips are sealed tighter than a nun's cun... Oh, sorry."

Jessie tilted her head down and glared at him from just below her eyebrows.

"It's a guy thing. Sorry. He thinks it is getting serious and isn't ready to say anything yet. That's all."

"Well, I'll get it out of him. Don't worry."

Rob was thinking she probably would, but he wanted to be anywhere but ground zero when that happened.

That evening, Jessie and Rob had dinner on the back deck. Rob threw two steaks on the grill along with potatoes and some skewered vegetables that Jessie made up. While they ate and talked, Rob suddenly had an overwhelming feeling of calm wash over him. He was enjoying a good meal with the woman he loved, watching the sun sink low in the western sky. For the first time in his life, he felt contentment.

With that contentment came the memory of his dream of Lisa's last visit the night he brought Jessie to the house. He remembered her saying that this was just a house, but it needed to be home. Rob was startled at first by the memory, wondering why it popped into his head but then he realized what Lisa was saying to him. The house that once was, was no more. It now felt like home. Jessie had made it the home it needed to be. But something was missing.

"Jessie?"

Jessie sat her glass of wine down to look at Rob.

"Can Jaime and Greg move in here? Full time?"

Jessie almost choked as she tried to swallow her wine and yell out at the same time. "Are you serious? You want them to move in here?"

"Absolutely. It would mean changing schools for them unless you want them to remain with Bill and Annette during the school year, but I'd love to have them live here... with you. With... us."

"Oh My God! Rob, that is the loveliest thing you have ever said to me! YES! YES!" She jumped up to run around the table to Rob, almost tripping over her chair trying to move so quickly. Rob quickly stood up, not wanting to get knocked over in his chair onto the deck.