Blessings of Faith Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The knife was thrown with unerring accuracy for his heart, but his sword moved faster than his thoughts as it easily flicked it away and then swung forward in an arc to slice the man's throat open. The man dropped his other knife and fell to the floor gasping and gurgling, clutching at his throat, before finally falling silent.

Miles heard cautious steps approaching his location. He pulled the arrow from the man's neck and drew his bow but heard the gentle whistle and relaxed. He responded, and Dylan cautiously rounded a tree, seeing Miles standing over a body.

Dylan signaled all-clear for the camp, Miles responding back similar for here. Dylan relaxed a bit, approached the body, confirmed it was dead, and dragged it back to the camp. Miles moved to the other body and dragged it back with him.

Back at the camp the group was cleaning up after the attack. They had killed nine of them, having lost four guards, but thankfully none of the mercenaries.

Allen watched Miles and Dylan drag back the bodies and gave an impressed whistle. "Woah, looks like somebody had some fun." He never took things very seriously, finding humor to be the best medicine.

"Fun my ass, this asshole tried to slit me after playing dead." Miles kicked the offending bandit's head.

"At least Dylan was there to save you."

Dylan snorted, "This one was already dead when I got there. And I can't hit anything with a bow. Check out that one," Dylan pointed at the one Miles had dragged back.

Allen's eyes grew in surprise, "No shit? You killed these two?"

"Yeah," Miles grinned at Allen, "thanks for the archery pointers. Took that one in the throat and this one in the neck."

Allen leaned back appraisingly, an impressed expression on his face. "Well shit, guess we got ourselves a full-blown bad ass here." He clapped him hard on the shoulders and turned to the group, "Hey Silver Wolves, looks like our cubs all grown up now! Two on his first try!"

There were a lot of congratulatory slaps to the shoulder while Allen and Dylan searched the bodies. A good mercenary never passes up the chance to take free shit. Plus, Austin would want to see if they could find any information on them about the attack. It was more coordinated than he would expect from mere bandits.

"Well now, that's an awfully fancy knife for a random bandit." Allen was holding up a sleek blade he had taken from the bandit with the arrow in his throat. The blade was a bit longer than their combat knives but curved. He could swear that he saw waves along the blade edge. "I haven't seen anything quite like this. It's light, probably made for slashing."

Dylan took a look when Allen handed it to him. The sheath and handle were of utilitarian design. The blade itself was perfectly balanced, meaning it wasn't some cheap piece that anyone could make. He shook his head, unable to identify it either.

"I know it well," Samir seemed to materialize out of the darkness. "A Karsan blade, from the south. Not overly common, but not rare either." He took the blade and flourished it. It danced like a moth by a flame, and then snapped back into the sheath. "Well made." He handed it to Miles. "It will serve you well."

Miles looked at it hesitantly.

Allen was looking through some coins, "He's a dead man, he won't miss it. He tried to kill you, it's the least he owes you."

Samir pressed it into Miles' chest. "Use every advantage given to you." Miles nodded and took the blade, fastening it to his belt at the small of his back, allowing him to draw it in a reverse grip while concealing it from head-on attacks.

"Guess I gotta learn your name now," Celeste grinned, bumping into his shoulder. "Miles just doesn't roll off the tongue like Rook." She clicked her tongue, grinning at him, "Guess I'll have to get used to how it feels there." Miles shook his head and chuckled.

"Well, mission ain't over yet, so don't let it go to your head. It's not done until you're drinking at the inn." She winked at him, "First rounds on me."

While the mood was upbeat by the mercenaries, the guards certainly weren't feeling it. They had just lost four of their own in the attack, two not even having the chance to draw weapons. The bandit attack on the West had been disrupted by Miles, who managed to draw off the archers, further protecting the camp. That was unfortunately not true of the East. Harun had acted quickly in pinning two attackers down with javelins, but the archers still advanced on the side of the camp where the guards were set up.

Harun and Austin helped the guards with injuries and dressed the dead while Helen stayed on alert. Samir was conspicuously absent in all of this. The guards appreciated the gesture, though some resentment still lingered. The lead guard discussed with Austin their tactical position and they reorganized the third watch with their depleted numbers. While unlikely, the bandits could always return, and with even numbers, an ambush could still wipe them out. The camp finally settled down again, with the third watch beginning.

***

Austin had hidden himself at the base of a fallen tree for third watch. He doubted that they would be back, but he wanted to hear what Samir had found out.

"He claims they are just brigands" Samir's raspy voice came from behind the tree.

If Austin was startled, he never showed it. He continued to scan the forest while whispering over his shoulder. "And you believe him?"

"No. But I don't have enough time for a full interrogation." An object fell with a soft thud in front of Austin. "He had that on him."

Austin reached down and picked up what appeared to be a short branding iron. He instantly recognized the swirling patterns.

"Says he got it from a dead man, but when was the last time you saw a cult symbol on a random person?"

"Did you find it on any of the others."

"No, he's the only one. None from the camp, and I tracked a few more down, but same story." Samir finally stepped around the tree in front of Austin. "They were up to something, but what that something is, I do not know."

Austin remained in thought, turning the brand around a few times. "No one here was branded by them, nor the animals. They'd need a mage to track them even if they did."

Samir nodded at the assessment, "If they had something like that for backup, they wouldn't have needed to ambush us. Perhaps it's unrelated then, but they knew we were coming, I can feel it."

Austin nodded, "See what else you can get out of him before the others wake up." He gave another apprehensive look at the brand, "And get rid of this."

***

Miles was sitting on a branch low to the ground for second watch. This was the second night they had stopped in the forest, and Miles was feeling anxious. The first day in the grasslands had been rough, he hadn't even noticed Samir behind him until the man poked him with his knife. He had been on edge all of the prior day as well, nearly loosing an arrow on Allen when he poked out of a bush. Celeste's advice on not being too tense echoed in his ear, but he didn't see how he could untense. He took a deep breath and tried to focus on the camp.

He had a view into the camp from the tree and was low enough that he could jump down safely and engage if he needed to. He scanned through the forest, and at regular intervals responded to the signal from the other side of the camp. He had been up for second watch for a few hours now but kept alert.

He heard the warning hoot from across the camp and perked up, searching around for the intruders, but he couldn't find any near him. He then heard a horn and spotted several figures approaching his area, two raising bows while the other four charged forward, swords drawn. Miles fired his three arrows toward the archers and their escort but could see their arrows leave their bows before his first reached them. He dropped down and charged them with his short sword drawn.

Blood was pumping in his ears as he heard one of the archers scream, dropping his bow and running. The guard fell from the other arrow to his neck, and the third raised his bow again to fire, but was shot in the heart by someone in the camp. Miles turned to check the camp, and just barely caught sight of the dagger the downed guard threw. It cut deeply into his chest, just above his heart, and he saw the man leap up, another knife drawn. Dylan reached him just in time, piercing his kidney from behind with his rapier.

Miles stifled a scream as he reached for the knife in his chest, but Dylan stopped him. He dragged Miles to the camp and laid him next to Allen. Miles looked over to see two arrows sticking out, one in the neck and the other in his chest. He wasn't breathing.

***

Miles awoke to a kick to his foot. He opened his eyes and saw Celeste before him, offering a canteen. He sat up and gratefully took a swig, his hand shaking slightly. He shook his head, trying to clear it and shake off his nightmare. Allen walked by on his way to the fire, trying to warm himself up. Celeste sat down beside him, twirling her knife absently.

Miles looked over at her, "Nothing new last night?"

She shook her head. "Nope, not a sign of them. Still, having a dozen or so organized guys like that out there, not a good feeling."

He grunted in acknowledgement, using some of the water to wash his face, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

Celeste put her knife back, "How'd you sleep?"

Miles shrugged, "No worse than usual." He grinned at her, "Why, you offering something?"

"Maybe." She leaned to take a look at him, "But you're all clammy and pale."

He scoffed and rubbed his face harder, trying to get more blood flowing through it.

"Most folks can't sleep after their first time. Usually remembering how it felt to cut into a person." She looked down at her knife as she turned spun it around her fingers, "and how it's the same as a deer or pig."

"That happen to you?"

She shifted, "Yeah, but I was a girl when it happened. Can't expect too much mental fortitude from a kid. Doesn't really bother me now, but the first time I cried my eyes out."

Miles didn't say anything more, just nodded his head.

She shrugged, "Hits us all different, I guess." She stood up and stretched, "Come on, let's grab some grub before we pack up." That mischievous grin was back on her face, "And maybe if you're a good boy, I'll even keep you warm tonight."

***

A quick meal later they struck camp and headed out, now with three guards in the front and back with two on the wagons. The mercs fanned out again but didn't spot any traps or tracks. Miles took the left flank, roaming through the underbrush and looking for additional signs of passage. Aside from the initial retreating footprints though, he didn't see anything disturbed by feet. He did get caught by a smug looking Celeste once, making him roll his eyes at his own clumsiness when he nearly tripped on an exposed root.

They kept a watchful eye for the rest of the day, but nothing else unusual occurred. Austin had a discussion with the merchant leader but didn't elaborate on what they had discussed with the team. He was definitely more contemplative and moodier throughout the trip though. Miles caught him inspecting the carts and animals as well, though he had no idea why.

That evening Miles had to cook, but had precious few fresh ingredients left with which to cook. He organized what he had and scratched at his chest absentmindedly as he reviewed what he could even make. He paused and looked at where he was scratching and couldn't figure out why he had suddenly started doing that. A brief memory of a knife hitting him there flashed in his eyes, but he quickly dismissed it. He looked back at what he had and then set out to find something to supplement it with. He scavenged a few more eggs and root vegetables, and using some of their stored goods, managed to make a heavy cornbread with a side of roasted vegetables and some bacon he bartered off the guards.

"Miles, take third watch tonight." Helen stopped by as he was cleaning. She looked him over, "You should rest," and then left.

A slightly bewildered Miles looked at Dylan, who just shrugged. "You heard the lady. Hit the sack."

***

The final night remained uneventful. Miles was woken by Helen who watched him carefully as he headed out, but she never said anything to him. For his part, he wasn't experiencing the same creeping feeling up his spine that made his hairs stand on end like last night. He didn't read too much into it though and staked out a hidden spot to watch from until dawn. One a few branches higher than normal.

He was spinning one of his arrows absently when he spotted two of the guards pull off to the side. He put away the arrow and craned his neck to see what they were doing. They seemed to be sharing something and Miles chuckled to himself when he spotted the flask. He leaned back, scratching his chest; he hadn't had good alcohol in a while, and he was looking forward to some big town ales when they finally arrived. Allen had told him all sorts of stories of what you could do there, what you could eat, drink, and see. Of course, he only believed about half of what he heard, as most of those stories were even more debauched than what he heard the nobles gossip amongst themselves about. He frowned at that particular memory. The nobles always liked to act proud and upright, but when you really got down to it, they were just animals drunk on power that would do anything they could get away with. He shook himself out of that memory, quietly moving to another spot, and taking out some fruit.

The following day they finally emerged from the forest, lessening everyone's tensions. They all sighed in relief when the walls of Crownhaven appeared on the horizon after having spent the last three days navigating the dark woods. As promised, the merchants covered the entrance fee for everyone, their 20% cut, and provided lodgings for them until they were to return in three days' time.

The Tipsy Flagon

They were told by the merchant that The Tipsy Flagon wasn't the prettiest or cleanest of places, but it would serve them well while they stayed in town, with a central location and good food. The doors opened to a wide bar area with numerous tables that could easily manage forty people. Stairs on either side of the bar led up to the second-floor balcony that overlooked the entire hall. Behind the balcony was a door that led to the rooms, each having a single bed, table and chair, and dresser. The large communal baths were located on the first floor, only accessible to those who were staying at the inn.

Austin had divvyed up the advance and given out two gold coins to everyone, which was enough to stay drunk the entire three days, not that anyone was planning on doing that. The town offered numerous interesting places to explore and for tourists to be parted from their coins.

The town was large enough to have a fabulous market, or so they claimed, with all sorts of colorful fruits and wonderous trinkets and goods from around the kingdom. The primary temple here was to the Lady of Devotion. Her temple was in the center of town and was administered by a priestess of the faith, which was rare to see in these parts. Hundreds of worshippers would flock to the temple every day for absolution and devotion.

For now, though, Celeste called up the barkeep to get them a round of their best ale so that they could celebrate their newest Silver Wolf, Miles. Seven massive tankards were brought forward with a foamy head and dark amber liquid swirling inside.

Austin stood and lifted his tankard first, looking around the table at his wolves. "I've been a mercenary longer than I care to remember." He looked at Dylan and Helen, "And we've all seen our share of new members come and go." His eyes swept the table, "But since the Silver Wolves was founded, not a single wolf has been lost." He paused, "We do the job, we watch each other, and most importantly, we come back alive." He looked at Miles, "You've done me proud, Miles. Welcome to the Silver Wolves."

Celeste raised her tankard, "To our newest Silver Wolf, Miles!"

"Two kills Miles!" Allen yelled.

They all raised their tankards to him and chugged the smooth and sharp ale down. Austin flagged down the barkeep, dropping five silver coins and telling him to keep the drink coming with their meals. Dishes started to appear before them that made their mouths water. Various cuts of meat topped with brown sauces, fish filets with a creamy dressing, fresh bread straight from the oven, it was all they could have asked for and more.

The evening went on with plenty of food and drink and stories that kept getting more ridiculous the longer they went on. Everyone told some version of the best mission, the best kills, or the most dangerous hunt. Allen recounted the story of his first boar hunt, stalking a beast that kept getting bigger as the story progressed, until he brought down the wagon-sized beast. Harun told them of the time he traveled to the eastern kingdom, fighting dragons, winning maiden's hearts, and being kicked out of a brothel buck naked.

Austin and Dylan laughed and enjoyed the stories, but never shared any of their own. Too many bad memories in their past. Helen, however, began an epic tale of a massive bear that she stalked for days and nights on end. She tracked it through the frozen north, fighting it across the snow fields, and eventually besting it in its den. She took a big gulp of her ale, standing one foot unsteadily on the table, and proclaimed that "he was the best lay I ever had." She then toppled over backwards where Austin nonchalantly caught her. She may have been a bit drunk by this point in the evening.

Eventually folks started to make plans for the night. Allen decided to take Samir around and check out the nightlife, though it was more likely that Allen was going to go get in trouble and Samir would make sure no one found the bodies afterwards. They invited Miles, but he wasn't particularly interested in getting into a fight as soon as he got to town. Allen insisted that wasn't what would happen, but a long glance from Samir indicated otherwise. Helen was heading off to bed, but not before giving Miles a hug and telling him how proud she was of him. She was absolutely wasted.

Dylan had some friends to look up while he was in town, and Austin wanted to just hang out in the bar after helping Helen to her room. Celeste headed down to the baths, excited to finally feel clean again. Miles thought that it was a grand idea, and headed to the men's bath, where he soaked in the tub until he felt all his muscles loosen.

He was heading back to his room when he ran into Celeste, her fiery hair still wet and pulled up into a ponytail. She was wearing a clean white blouse and short pants, something he had never seen her in before. The blouse clung to her body, still wet from the bath and her long-toned legs shone with every languid step she took, her hips swaying alluringly. Her emerald eyes gleamed mischievously upon seeing him.

"Miles, did you enjoy your soak?" She languidly stretched, pulling the blouse taut against her flat tummy and swell of her breasts.

"Not as much as you I bet," a playful smile on his lips. His heart was starting to beat faster, watching her play this game with him.

"Oh, it felt great. I can't remember the last time I was so relaxed." Her lips were pulled up in a self-satisfied smile.

Miles leaned into her, "I recall an offer of a special reward after my first kill." She didn't retreat.

"You're right, you do deserve something." She spoke softly, nearly whispering. She moved closer and placed a soft kiss on his lips. She began to pull away when Miles pulled her closer again.

"That was only one. I got two."

Celeste opened her mouth to his, letting her tongue meet and twirl around his. He lifted her up and she wrapped her long legs around his waist, pulling him tight as he pushed the door open to her room, slamming it behind him.

123456...8