Blessings of Faith Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Miles felt his pants close again as Celeste slid up his body. She slid into Helena's position on his right, head nestled on his shoulder. Her hand moved to his heart, feeling it beat rhythmically. She closed her eyes, and rested gently there, listening to him breathing, and feeling his presence warm her.

***

"Alright, so let's go over what we know." Austin sat by the campfire, having arrived later that morning. "We were hit twice, once coming into Crownhaven, and once leading out. The first attack was coordinated, but sloppy. The second was overpowering and careful."

"Are we sure they're related?" Helen asked.

Austin shook his head, "Nothing to indicate that they are related, but the timing seems suspicious."

Samir's raspy voice cut in, "I checked with some of the survivors, but they insisted it was an attack of opportunity." Samir glanced askance at Austin, having cut a key element out of his retelling. Austin nodded. "One of them did carry a cult brand."

Helen took a sharp breath at the mention, while the others looked at Samir in confusion.

"The cult brands were used by some of the crazier religions to mark believers. They could also be used to track those who were branded." Austin explained as a dark cloud crossed Helen's face.

"Why didn't you say anything?" Helen asked through clenched teeth. "We should have known about it so that we could prepare."

Austin sucked his teeth, "I didn't want to worry you over something that might be nothing." He looked at her seriously, "We destroyed it, and I personally checked every man, animal and piece of equipment myself. No one was branded."

Helen untensed somewhat but was still glaring at him as he continued. "We couldn't find a link, but I had Samir tail Jalal, the merchant, and dig up what he was transporting back."

Samir continued, "I followed him to his merchant contacts, and followed them as well. They are part of the Ripley Merchantry, a massive network of merchants throughout the kingdoms. These that I followed though, seemed to be part of a smaller group. I couldn't determine why or what they were doing, but I thought it clear that they were trying to get something out of the city."

"If I may ask, why did you continue with the contract if you suspected something was off." Helena asked.

Austin looked over, nodding his head, "A fair question. One, we needed the coin. Two, it was unclear if this was any different from any other mission where they try to make some side coin smuggling some goods, which is none of our business. Three, I felt that with appropriate precautions we could escape, even if we were attacked."

"That's why you bought us all the horses," Allen chimed in.

Austin nodded, "I also picked up an insurance policy in case they mobilized a mage against us. It seemed highly unlikely, but given the spook with the brand, I thought it wise to take the precaution."

Samir nodded, "I used the magic surge scroll near the mage, overloading him momentarily. He was too well guarded for me to eliminate in that short amount of time though."

"Was that why that fireball just disappeared before you caught up to us?" Miles asked.

Samir nodded, "It would only work for a few seconds. If we had still been in range, he could well have killed us."

Allen flicked a wood chip into the fire, "But why would a mage be sent out for whatever the merchants were smuggling? They're national resources. Who the hell could possibly mobilize one?"

"My fear isn't that they mobilized one," Austin said heavily. "My fear is that they mobilized three." Hissed intakes of air resounded around the fire. Something of that magnitude meant some noble or royal family was behind this. One could potentially be bribed or kept hidden from the kings, but three meant there was a major power behind them.

Samir spoke again, "There were three transports that left from Crownhaven when we did, all going in different directions. They were all from the Ripley Merchantry, which isn't unheard of, but a part of that small group I mentioned. Ours was the most heavily defended."

"Best case scenario, it was someone with some sway that got a mage to hit the transport. They got what they wanted and are now off to do whatever the fuck they want." Austin said.

"And worst-case scenario?"

He looked around the fire grimly, "This was a major political play and they're going to clean it all up. Us included." Silence pervaded the camp as they all thought through the implications of that. Austin finally broke the heavy silence that fell over the group. "What we need now, is information. We need to hear everything we can while keeping low."

Helen looked over at him, "What are you thinking?"

He sighed heavily. "We need to split up." He held his hands up to forestall the complaints. "I know, its not ideal, but if they are tracking us, small groups can disappear more easily." He looked to Samir, "I need you to head back to Crownhaven and dig up everything you can about the merchantry and that group. Whatever they wanted came from there." Samir nodded.

He looked at Dylan and Helen. "I need you both to head to your old haunts and see what your connections have to say. Keep it as quiet as you can." There was some mulling over from Dylan, but they both eventually agreed.

"I'm going to head east, toward Lynetsk. It's the nearest city, I have some contacts there, and if something went to Crownhaven before leaving again, it likely went through there." He looked at the remaining members, "That leaves you all."

"I can go with Helen. I know some people who I can trust in Khalan. Small town, but good trade. They may have heard something. We can stick together and hit up Kuje after that. I assume that's where you're headed?" Helen nodded.

Austin looked hesitantly at Helena, "Priestess, I'm afraid that you are very noticeable and well known. I doubt you could go anywhere without being recognized. Even your presence is noticeable to those of the faith."

"Couldn't you just head back to the temple? Wouldn't they be able to keep you safe?" Dylan raised the question.

Celeste shook her head, "the temple has no fighting force. We do not maintain guards or a knighthood like some of the others, we are purely for faith." She considered for a moment, "While it may be challenging, I believe I can head west, across the Oryan Sea. The Lady of Devotion's presence there is muted and small. I may be able to hide there."

Austin looked at Miles, "I trust you know what to do, Miles?"

"Of course. I'll keep her safe." While Austin was being subtle about it, Miles could tell from the hard edge of his eyes what he was saying. Miles was the one who brought her, he was the one who said he knew what that entailed, and it was his responsibility now to keep her safe.

"And I'll keep you safe," Celeste grinned, having missed Austin's subtext.

"Well, that just leaves me then," Allen casually flicked another chip into the fire, "and I can't really go west. Not unless I've suddenly become suicidal." He looked at Dylan and smiled, "Need someone to back you up? Everyone needs a good archer watching their back." Dylan nodded in agreement.

"We'll reconvene in three months' time at the Lustra camp." Austin stood up and pulled out his coin pouch. "I'd appreciate it if you brought back some of this or more when we meet again." He passed out three gold coins to each group, with two for himself and Samir. "That's it for the coffers. You'll need to make do with what you have or what you can find."

They all rose, looking at one another heavily, sharing significant glances, before packing up and getting ready to set out. Miles managed to make a more comfortable seat for Helena this time around. She had suggested that he and Celeste share a horse instead, but they decided that if danger appeared, it would be better to have the two mercs separate.

Before heading out, Miles shared one final glance back at the Silver Wolves, a sense of loss for the family he had finally found rising in his heart. He touched his chest again, a soothing action, and shared a final look with Austin before they all rode off in different directions.

1...345678