Blood & Carrots - Celestial Ep. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Elias had been separated from us with the initial conflict leading to Samanth and weeks later we were able to reunite with him. The young vampire he had found was an interesting one, I sensed thaumaturgy within her, something only a few of us had. She would be a boon to the council so I skipped the formalities and made her an official member, ordering the foxes to take their new sister back home, they had all seen enough bloodshed. I, however, had not.

I stalked through the countryside of Europe, be it thriving cathedrals or tiny small-town churches that might have had a dozen members. All of them burned in my wake and any clergy I found, I butchered. I had a clear goal in mind as I was slowly making my way to Rome and leaving a path of carnage in my wake. Deep inside, I knew what I was doing. I sent the foxes and cat home because I knew I was on a suicide mission, I had lost Diana, I had failed both Sarnai and Ryder, I truly had no other recourse.

The sun had just dipped over the horizon as I started walking out of the town I had stayed the day in, a massive roaring fire in the distance as I heard the support beams fail as the large house of worship caved in on itself.

"Stop, abomination! I know what you are and what you've done this-" I simply met the town guard's eyes, pushing my will forward as the acolyte froze in place. I didn't even bother talking to them at this point or explaining myself.

I wrenched the hapless fool down, plunged my teeth in to drink my fill, then simply dropped him to the ground to bleed out. I didn't feel like cleaning my swords or daggers again and was too full to fully drain him.

My mind wasn't even thinking at this point. I had just taken to continuing my path, every time I tried to think, all I saw was Diana's face, or that stupid wolf's. Not to mention Ryder and Sarnai. I had failed so many, let so many down, so I simply stopped thinking and let the hunger in me have my thoughts for the time being.

Several hours passed as I followed the road to the next settlement, not even the insects or animals bothering to make noise, as if out of fear I would come for them next. The only sound was that of my boots crunching on the path I walked, not even my own breathing or heartbeat filling the void as I had no need to do those things.

I hadn't noticed the gate, or perhaps there never was one there, to begin with, but one moment I was in Italy, the next I was in a very dark room, a single brazier lit on the wall, but it did little to offer more than dim lighting. The room was devoid of anything but a single chair that looked not unlike a throne but with no accents and plenty of wear with age. A lone figure sat upon the chair, elbows resting on knees, hunched forward, and head lowered to gaze upon the floor.

"Lorelai Tahmineh." My full name, not something many knew or bothered to use, for good reason. You see, when you truly become powerful and ancient, your full name carries weight with it. Uttering an ancient's true name will always have ramifications, namely, it will create an almost supernature pull to guide that being to you. I'm no mage, I've not a speck of magickal talent within me, but even I can throw a gate open and go to someone when they use my name. However, no one living currently had that knowledge.

Hearing my true name snapped me out of my daze and I lifted my now red eyes to look upon the figure. A female with nothing but a simple tattered robe upon her lithe body. Long blonde hair obscured most of her face and shoulder, hanging down with faint curls in it, looking dirty and unwashed.

Even in the dimness of the room, I could see a single red eye peer at me through the messy locks and my heart pushed into motion, pounding in my ears as I sunk right to a knee in a bow, saying nothing.

She stood and it looked like it took massive effort to do so, weak shaky steps being made with each movement as she slowly shambled towards me. I could her hear joints and bones creak, groaning in protest to being moved after so long being idle. It took her a handful of minutes just to make the labored trek of a few yards towards me, I kept my head down and stayed silent.

"Rise," The word came out raspy and weak as it filled my ears and my body did as was commanded. I looked up as the withered female stood over me, nearly two heads taller than me. She had deep sunken features on her face, not a tail to be seen, and small rounded ears to the side of her head not unlike an ape, but even they showed no fur or hair.

Everything happened in a blink, one moment I stood there, the next she had grabbed the front of my leather armor and hauled me over her head, holding me aloft as I watched her other emaciated hand grab my wrist, sharp nails pushing into the flesh there, making blood erupt from the wound. My teeth clenched as she simply held me aloft, her mouth open as blood rolled from my wrist into her maw, showing the two large sharp teeth that looked as out of place as mine did, the rest looking smooth.

She held me like that for several moments, I couldn't even compel my body to move, drinking from my own stolen blood supply as I watched the color return to her cheeks, her flesh starting to look fuller and less sunken. Finally, she had enough and simply flung me to the floor several yards away.

I winced as I tumbled a few times, then slowly picked myself up, dragging my own tongue over my bloody wrist to close the wound, finding my feet. She had drank much, but not enough to leave me weak.

Even her hair looked more robust as she raised her hands to rake her fingers through it, tidying it a bit before returning to her throne and taking a seat, leaning back slightly in it now as she gave a wave of her hand. "Come."

I did as I was told and moved forward, standing before her. She met my red eyes and motioned with a hand. "Go on, say what is on your mind, my child."

It took my brain a moment to shift gears to speak Latin before I responded, "You could have asked," I drooped my ears, giving her a flat look.

"That, was beyond my ability. I hadn't the strength. Be glad I didn't sink my teeth straight into your flesh, or there would be nothing remaining of you." Her red eyes seemed to smolder with heat as she spoke the words matter-of-factly to me.

My teeth clenched as I rubbed at my wrist, glancing away. "What do you want? I've not seen you since the crusade wars..."

"To stop you, and I was hungry," She sighed the words as if it were an obvious statement.

"Why would you stop me?" I put my hands to my hips, cocking my brow.

"I commend your duty, but the price has been paid, you exacted more than a fair share."

"That is my decision to make, they took something from me that-"

"No, Lorelai Tahmineh, that is MY decision to make. Question me again and I'll finish what I started, I'll even make a meal of those foxes you so love."

My eyes widened at the threat, then narrowed as I moved a hand to the hilt of my blade. "You will not threat-"

"Oh, give it a rest." She lifted her finger and a wave of force flung me from my feet. I gasped out as I literally slammed into the rocky ceiling of the room before it left me and I fell hard back to the ground but managed to catch myself. My teeth showed in a furious snarl as my eyes burned.

"You've had enough, and I don't need the church wiped out. Did I steer you wrong when I told you to avoid the war my brothers wrought?"

I hissed through my teeth and eased my stance, returning my hands to my hips. "Matters of the heart are not so easily quelled, my Lady."

"Yet that is my command, do as I say, this debate is over." Her eyes narrowed and she showed her sharp canines as she clicked her tongue. "I'm fond of you, Lorelai Tahmineh, but I'll kill you and everyone you love if you question me again, am I clear?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat and gave a quick nod. "I- I apologize for my outburst, please keep any resentment targeted squarely at me and leave my family out of this."

"See, that's why I like you. You're dutiful and you take care of your family, even our council at large." She stood and walked over to me. "Come with me my child, we need to have a talk and we will walk in the moonlight as we do, it should only slightly hurt me."

"Why would the moonlight hurt you?" I asked curiously as I found us simply standing in a field near where I was, faint wisps drifting off her skin as if steam rolling off a hot body in the bitter cold.

She didn't seem to mind it and started walking as I kept pace. "Moonlight is just a reflection of sunlight really, the truly antiquated of our kind such as me, could only travel when the moon was in its lesser phases, full moonlight would kill us as easily as sunlight. However, just as you are strong enough to withstand brief exposure to the sun, I too can handle this, and it's been so long since I saw the world basked in the glow."

"I understand... so what did you want to talk about?" I kept pace with what was to my knowledge, the only Elder of our species that remained.

"Why, your trials and tribulations, Lorelai. I sense a great weight upon your soul, and being my eldest daughter, well is it not a mother's duty to attempt to comfort her children?"

"You literally threatened to murder me and all I love, now you wish to comfort me?" I cocked a brow frowning at her words.

"Spare the rod, they say... out with it," She hissed the words as we stopped and stood there, looking over the rolling hills.

I gave a sigh and proceeded to just unload my whole suitcase there and then. I told my 'mother' about my relationship with Ryder and Toroah, about Diana, Charlotte, as well as anything else that had weighed on me like Sarnai's madness.

"You have... a lot on your soul, my child..." The elder folded her arms, rubbing her chin in thought as she stared out upon the hills for several minutes as we stood there in silence.

"Do you have faith in me or the gods, Lorelai Tahmineh?" She finally asked as she shifted her gaze to me squarely.

"I do not. The gods can go fuck themselves and you threaten to kill me. Had I the power I'd put you in your place-" I glared as I looked her over finding no distinguishing features to akin her too. "whatever you are."

She showed an approving grin at my snarled words and moved a hand to rub at my hair and ears, mussing my curls around my horns. "That's my daughter, I can respect that, also what I am doesn't matter, just a long-dead race before your time."

I hissed out at the treatment, any other being that tried such a thing short of Ryder or Toroah would have had no hand to pull back, but I wasn't really in that position here. She grinned at me again, as if knowing my train of thought before withdrawing her hand.

"Lorelai Tahmineh, I am very much like the Seraph in that, despite my power and vast network of knowledge, I do not have all the answers. However, despite what you think, I love you and every one of my children. I can set some wheels in motion, but I cannot ascertain if they will be fruitful for you or not."

"Truly? What would these wheels pertain to?" I looked hard into her eyes, resting a hand on my hip.

"Why, a means to get you into the deepest layers of the underworld of course. Even one such as me can not simply fling open a gate. It takes decades or even centuries to prepare such rituals for even brief incursions."

"Why? Why would you do this?" I snarled as I glared upon her, not trusting her in the slightest, despite her kind words.

"Because I love you, my child, regardless of your misgivings. Did I not warn you to avoid the wars in the past? You would have no doubt marched to your death as many others did had I not intervened directly with you."

With a sigh, I push my hand to my head. "Then why all the heavy-handed threats?"

"Have you not taken a heavy hand with new members of your family then turned to love them later, Lorelai?" She quirked a brow, mimicking my posture as she rested a hand on her own hip.

"Yes, new members!" I snarled as I thrust a finger at her.

"So, if one of your older members became obstinate with you, you would not be heavy-handed? Do not attempt to deny it, we both know you would!" She cocked a brow, showing me a grin as I snarled and jerked my gaze away.

"Peace, Lorelai Tahmineh. I am an ancient creature with nothing but infinite amounts of boredom. I will see your goals moved forward if within my power, if for no other reason than to have something to do. Believe me when I say I do care and love you."

"Then never threat my family again, are we clear?" I snarled, not bothering to hide the fury and heat in my words.

"Hmph... I knew there was a reason you were my favorite, you obstinate little bitch!" She showed me an approving grin and held a hand up, cocking a brow as I felt a slight wave of unseen force push against my shoulder as someone would give a shove when trying to start a fight. "Consider it done."

I grunted at the 'push' showing my teeth as I looked away. She clued in and gave me a knowing smile. "Something else weighs on you... you, have suffered defeat recently, haven't you?"

My ears lifted as I shot her a glare but said nothing. She moved to me and I grunted as she pulled me into her arms, pressing my face into her breasts through the simple robes she wore, my horns pressing into her surprisingly warm body. "Now now... if you live to learn from it, you are the stronger warrior for it..."

I bleated out and pulled from her embrace, glaring up at her as my small fluff of tail jerked and twitched. "I need not your comfort!"

"Hmm... you are still such a child when you are upset, despite how old you are, my daughter." The ancient vampire sighed and waved a hand before we stood back in the dark poorly lit room once more.

With a frown, I turned my back to her, giving an annoyed huff. She seemed amused by the whole display as she moved to take a seat. "Lorelai Tahmineh, your soul will be truly tested in the coming centuries, and given you are my favorite... I will offer you a boon."

"Are the wheels you set in motion not already the boon, mother?" I grumbled as I looked over my shoulder at her.

"That, my child, is me entertaining myself, to see if you can make crops flourish from the seeds I provide you with. No, my daughter, my boon will be one of grueling pain and agony." She showed me a wide mad grin and I felt my heart sink as my ears lifted.

"W-What? I thought we were past threats?" I wheeled to face her and like that she was before me a sword in her hand, my sword. I gapped my mouth as I reached for my scabbard, feeling one of my shortswords had been withdrawn. I leaped back several feet producing my other one, shivers crawling up my spine.

"Ha! I can see the fear in your eyes, daughter! That's good, that is... good!" She hissed the words and blinked out of sight. I couldn't even process it all, one moment she was there, the next my sword lay scattered to the wet floor of the chamber and I was pushed to the wall, her blade to my throat. "Only a fool shutters out all fear... You are one of my elite, but you are still weak as a lamb..."

My mouth gaped and I felt my heart pound as the steel dug into my flesh, blood rolling along the blade before she withdrew it. She dragged her tongue over the steel, lapping up my essence, and stabbed the sword into the wall next to my head.

Fear was something I'd felt many times over my life, but never quite that intensely. "D-Damn you!" I screamed out at her, feeling tears cloud my vision, feeling so completely overwhelmed that it shook my confidence to its core.

"You will get stronger, my daughter. I will make you worthy of being my eldest now that Diana and Ras are gone. The celestials are keen to put pretty titles on things, so I will deem you my Avenger, my knight, and the voice of our kind."

"I don't need your fucking title, mother! I already am the voice of our-"

"I am the voice of our kind, regardless of what you think, Lorelai Tahmineh, but if you are to be my hand, you will earn it, lest I will choose a new leader of this council and you can-"

"Fine! Choose a new one, I'd do well to focus on saving my angel-fox and sister anyway! Keep your fucking title and all that comes with it!" I roared the words out, picking my swords up and sheathing them.

She folded her hands against her lap, staring hard at me without saying a word. I scowled and narrowed my eyes. "What?!"

"Answer truthfully... Were Ryder and all four of the Archangels to assault you, how do you think you would fare?"

I blinked a few times at that and scowled. "Even I would... I would not fare well, of that I'm sure."

"Kalinae brought them all to their knees as well as their High Bishop and Toroah's first. What will you do, Lorelai Tahmineh? Will you fling the gates of hell open, and somehow best the demon that now holds your lover in her clutches? Will you somehow liberate Charlotte's soul and fell a being that all of them could not?"

My teeth showed and more tears came to my eyes at the realization, once again hammering home just how helpless and weak I was. I clenched my eyes closed, squeezing my fists so hard my nails dug into my flesh, and blood started dripping from them.

She was atop me once more and my face was again against her chest. "Embrace me, trust me, and I will make you strong enough to be the Avenger of our kind. You have my love, now give your trust, stay with me..."

Something in me broke at that. She was right, I had no means, I had no strength, I had nothing but helplessness. I threw my arms around her, smearing my bloody palms against her robes as I fully clung to her, refusing to let the yowling sobs of rage escape my throat.

"When you are not attending to council affairs or personal business, I will have you here with me for training. Make sure you always come full though, I cannot sustain myself on mundane blood, it must be from my children."

I gave several nods before gently pulling from her arms and frowning. "Is that why you were in such a state when I came here?"

"Yes, my daughter, only the blood of our kind can nourish me. I had not fed in several centuries since seeing you this night. I put myself into a meditative torpor, slowing my body functions so I need not use what I have in me as quickly."

"Understood, I can accept that, but why your... brutish way of doing things upon our meeting?"

"I no longer trust myself to drink straight from the source and it would be akin to plunging a dagger into my heart to end one of my children, so I drank what I could to function, then cast you away so I could regain myself before the hunger demanded all of it."

I gave a nod, making a mental note to bring a vessel to drink from so she didn't have to throw me around. With a resigned sigh, I composed myself fully and accepted this trial. It was as Kazemde said, an effort was worth more than wishful thinking. I could stand around feeling sorry for myself, or I could work towards the goal, no matter how painful that was. "Very well, Mother. If it will see my family with lasting peace and my loved ones returned to me, or their injustices righted... You have me."

"I always did, my daughter," She hissed the words proudly as she cupped my cheek and gazed upon me. I stared hard into those red smoldering eyes, seeing but a glimpse of the eternity of solitude and madness within them, knowing I was very small and fragile in this moment.

Her large sharp teeth showed as she saw me analyzing her and turned from me. "Do not stare so deeply into the abyss my daughter, lest it stares back upon you."

"What in the nine hells does that mean?" I snarled as I put my hands on my hips.

"It means... leave me, go rest. Return to your foxes and their new sister, welcome them, savor their love for you. I will call upon you one month from today, be well fed and ready to endure what comes with that." Just as soon as the words passed her lips, I was back on the roads as if I'd never left.