Blood Wrong

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The rain had let up briefly to the point of only being a light drizzle when he got home to the farm. Tom pulled into the barn and parked his truck in front of the tractor. He unloaded some barbed wire that Richard had ordered from the hardware store. There were a few spots in the fence line that needed to be restrung. Tom was just taking his gloves back off when he looked up to see Richard stepping into the barn to join him. The old man looked almost ill. He stood there just looking at Tom silently in the eye for a moment then he walked over to a wooden feed box next to one of the stalls and opened it. Reaching down, he sifted through the feed until he found what he was looking for. His hand came out with a flattened glass bottle. A fifth of whiskey. Tom knew that the bottle was there, Addy had found it last year. He and Addy had smelled it and even took a tentative sip before putting it back.

Richard closed the box and turned around and sat down on it. He looked up at Tom and motioned with his head to come have a seat next to him. Tom walked over and silently took a seat next to him. Richard then twisted the top off then held the bottle up to look at it for a moment. He then took a couple of draws of the drink and winced after he swallowed it. He looked at the bottle again and half turned to Tom and handed him the bottle. Tom took the proffered bottle and took a draw himself. The liquid burned all the way from his mouth to the fiery pit that was his stomach. He then handed the bottle back to Richard. The old man started to take another pull from it but then changed his mind and sighed and put the cap back on it and set the bottle on the box beside him.

Tom sat quietly and waited. He sensed that Richard had something to tell him and from how the old man was acting it was probably not going to sit well with him. Richard put his elbows on his knees and put his face in his hands before dragging them down and sitting back up straight. He cleared his throat and spat on the dirt and straw covered floor. Thunder rolled as the rain picked up again outside, coming down in sheets again.

"Sherriff Cambrick stopped by this morning, not too long after you left." Richard began. His voice sounding wearier than Tom had ever heard it.

"We told him what happened, to Addy, yesterday... He was polite and concerned, of course, but he said he would have to hear if from Addy herself... and she would have to make charges against... the boy." He went on to tell Tom.

"Well, she did, didn't she?" Tom asked. "What did he say after that?" Tom asked as well.

"She didn't tell him, Tom... she's not talking at all. Not even to her momma, or me. She just stares off into space..." Richard said with a catch in his throat.

"Cam said that happens sometimes, she's traumatized he said." He went on to say. Another flash of lightning and a rumble of distant thunder rattled the tin on the roof of the barn.

"So... he can't do anything?" Tom asked, but already knew the answer to be no.

"He said that he'd check back in day or two and see if she wanted to talk or press charges then." Richard said.

"Meanwhile that punk bastard is out there free as a bird and probably terrorizing some other girl... That's just not right!" Tom spat in disgust.

"I don't like it any more than you do Tom... son. But you have to give it time. Right now, you need to go be with that little girl. You're the only one that can get to her right now. She needs you Tom... help my little girl... please?" Richard's voice broke as he brought a trembling hand up to his face as if to wipe the frustration away.

"A couple of days... a couple of days." Tom repeated and then stood up.

Tom looked down at the old man and realized that this was really hurting him too. Tom walked to the door of the barn and out into the rain on his way to the house. He was soaking wet by the time he got to the back door. As he stepped into the mudroom, Teresa came out of the kitchen with a towel for him. The worry was all over her face as well, her eyes were haunted. Tom took the towel and dried his head and face, then removed his boots. He looked silently down at Teresa as he stood back up and handed her the now damp towel.

"I'll change my clothes first." He said as he walked through the kitchen to the stairs.

"I'll keep your dinner warm for later." Teresa said softly.

Tom climbed the stairs and walked down the hall to his room. He peeled off his wet shirt and jeans and pulled on a pair of sweat pants and a tee shirt. As he turned to go back out of his room, he saw a child's crayon drawing that was pinned to his wall next to the light switch. Addy had drawn that when she was five years old. It was a stick figure drawing that was supposed to be himself and her sitting on the bank of the pond fishing. Tom's breath caught in his throat for a moment. He swallowed and sniffed back a tear that threatened to escape his eye, then turned off his light and left his room.

The soft knock was not necessary, but Tom was a creature of habit. Not hearing a response, Tom eased the door open and peeked around the door. Addy was laying on her bed in a fetal position with her back to the door. Tom's heart broke just a little bit more. Quietly he closed the door behind him and walked over to sit on the edge of her bed. He reached out with his right hand and gently brushed a few stray locks of her hair out of her face and back behind her ear. Addy's eyes opened slightly and her head turned to see him smiling softly down on her. In a flash she was sitting up and wrapping her arms around his neck and hugging him as if her very life depended on it.

"I was so afraid when I woke up earlier today and you weren't here... I was afraid you wouldn't come back. Don't ever leave me Tommy..." Addy keened into Tom's shoulder, her body trembling in his arms.

"I had to go to work Addy, you know that. You also should know I would come home to you. I would never leave you baby. Momma and Pa were here, you were never alone little one." Tom spoke softly into her hair as he rocked Addy gently and stroked her hair on the back of her head.

"That man... the sheriff... he... he wanted me to tell him what happened. I... I just couldn't Tommy, not again... I just want to forget it all like it never happened, but just can't." She moaned pitifully between gasps and sobs.

"Addy... I know it hurts baby... but if you don't talk to the Sheriff, he can't do anything to make it right. He can't even talk to Delbert unless you tell him what happened to you..." Tom tried to explain to Addy while comforting her. He felt her tense again in his arms.

"I... I don't care! I just want to forget it... I want to forget all about it... I'm so ashamed..." Addy cried into his shoulder and neck.

"Shhhhhh shhhhhh shhhhhh... It's okay baby.... It's okay... Don't worry about it right now... it's okay..." Tom repeated softly over and over as he rocked his sister in his arms calming her.

Addy sniffled and sobbed for several long minutes, maybe it was an hour or more before she relaxed and fell silent. Tom continued to hold her close and rocked her gently all the same. Eventually he realized that she had indeed fallen asleep. He carefully turned her around and lowered her head to her pillow and then laid down on the bed next to her. Even though she was asleep, Addy clasped his right hand in both of hers and drew it to her chest, close to her heart. Lying on his left side, his right hand captured within Addy's, Tom allowed himself to drift off to sleep as well as the thunder and rain played their lullaby.

A soft hand gently shaking Tom's shoulder woke him. His face was still buried in Addy's hair as he lay on her bed with Addy curled up with her back next to him. Tom lifted his head and turned, to see Teresa smiling sadly at him as she turned on the bedside lamp.

"I brought you some creamy chicken soup, and some biscuits. I also brought a jar of apple butter, maybe you can get Addy to eat a little too. She hasn't eaten anything all day, Tom. I'll be back with some lemonade shortly." Teresa said as she tucked her hands under her armpits, crossing her arms, her face a mask of restrained worry.

"I'll try to get her to eat something. Thanks." Tom said as he sat up and rubbed his eyes with the heels of his hands for a moment.

Looking out the window, he saw that the storm had passed on and though it was dark out now, the rain had stopped. The crickets were tuning up and, in the distance, he could hear the frogs at the pond warming up for their nightly chorus as well. Looking down at Addy sleeping peacefully, he almost felt like letting her continue sleeping rather than wake her. Teresa had said she had not eaten all day though, so he reached over and shook Addy gently by the shoulder. She groaned and turned her head to see who was rousing her. Her sleepy eyes made out Tom's face and his warm smile, so she smiled back.

"Hi." She said sleepily.

"Momma brought you some soup, why don't you sit up and have some." Tom told her as he reached for the mug and began stirring it with the spoon.

Addy frowned a bit but even Tom heard her stomach growl, and her frown turned into a sheepish grin. Pressing up with her hands and elbows, she rose up to a sitting position and Tom handed her the mug of soup. He turned back to the bedside table and split open a biscuit and spooned on some apple butter. He took a bite of the biscuit, savoring the sweet apple flavor. After Addy had eaten three spoonsful of the soup, he held the biscuit out for her to nibble a bite of as well. Her eyes got wide with delight before she closed her eyes and chewed while trying not to smile. When she had swallowed, she opened her eyes and looked for more of the biscuit, her eyebrows raised in silent question.

"Nuh uh... eat more soup first." Tom said playfully as he drew the biscuit back out of reach. Addy pouted but then grinned again and spooned more soup into her mouth.

Tom got Addy to eat the whole mug of soup and two of the three biscuits (slathered with the apple butter) out of three that Teresa had brought to them. Tom was spreading apple butter on the last biscuit when Teresa knocked softly on the door before entering carrying two tall glasses of lemonade. She smiled when she saw that Addy had eaten all the soup. She leaned over to collect the empty mug and spoon and kissed Addy on the top of her head. Teresa rested her left hand on Tom's shoulder and smiled at him warmly in thanks. She then turned and picked up the plate from the bedside table. At the door she paused and turned to Tom.

"I've got more in the kitchen, if you're hungry before you go to bed... or you can come back here and sleep if..." she left her statement open knowing that Tom probably would sleep here again tonight if Addy wanted him to. It was that special connection they shared. Inseparable when one or the other was hurting. They had been that way since they were babies.

"Thanks, Teresa. I might be down shortly. I need to shower anyway. I think our girl can let me go long enough for that." Tom said with a warm smile as he glanced over at Addy who was biting her lip and watching him and Teresa quietly with a hesitant if worried look in her eyes.

"Tom... will you come back... and stay with me again tonight?" Addy asked in almost a whisper like voice.

"Of course, I will Addy. I just need to shower and get something to eat. I'll bring you another biscuit if you want too." Tom said with a smile as he rubbed her shoulder reassuringly.

"Okay then... just come back." She said as she pulled the covers up to her chin while still sitting up.

Tom stood up and bent over to kiss her on top of her head before turning and heading to the door. He stopped in his room and got a change of underwear and socks. He would put the same sweats and tee shirt back on after his shower. He shaved first, pausing to look himself in the eyes in the mirror. His eyes were red rimmed and tired looking... but something else too. There was a coldness that he knew stemmed from the anger and hatred that grew in his gut. The poison that had to be vented, vented on one Delbert Evans... when the time was right.

A quick shower and then down the stairs to the kitchen. Richard was still sitting at the table when Tom entered the room. Teresa got up and went to the stove to fix Tom a plate, a bowl of soup and some biscuits. She also poured him a glass of iced tea. Tom sat and watched Teresa scurry about the kitchen.

He looked at Richard and saw that he was being watched as well. The old man studied him as if trying to measure his mood and or thoughts.

"How's she doing son?" Richard asked.

"She's still pretty wound up, I think. Addy's scared mostly. She seems to be okay when I'm with her." Tom spoke. Richard nodded his head knowing it to be the truth.

"Do you think she might be willing or able to talk to Cam... Sheriff Cambrick... in a day or two?" Richard asked hopefully, even as his eyes were locked on his half empty coffee mug, he held in both hands on the table in front of him.

"That, I don't know." Tom admitted sounding frustrated. "Addy seems pretty adamant about just trying to forget the whole thing. She feels ashamed of it all." Tom almost growled as his voice got tight, his own hands balled into fists on the table.

"Son... I know it's hard, but you gotta be smart. Think about Addy... don't go doing anything stupid." Rich spoke in a low gravelly voice.

"The son of a bitch is walking around bragging about it... And if Addy doesn't press charges... Hell! Even if she does, it's her word against his!" Tom spat the words in disgust and brought his hands to his face as if to wipe the frustration away.

Tom felt a soft hand grip his right shoulder. Teresa set a bowl of soup in front of him. He looked up into her concerned eyes, her smile more of a soft grimace, but she remained silent. She stepped back over to the stove and collected a plate of biscuits to set on the table as well. Tom picked up his spoon and idly stirred his soup, his mind still a storm of conflicting emotions and thoughts. Richard stood up and patted Tom on the shoulder as he left the kitchen. He paused at the doorway to speak.

"Get some rest son, things will look better tomorrow." The words still low and gravelly.

Tom nodded then began to eat his dinner, he was distracted by his thoughts though, he got no enjoyment out of the food. After he finished, he cleaned up after himself, putting his bowl in the sink and turning off the light in the kitchen before heading back upstairs to go to bed. Outside Addy's door, Tom paused listening quietly to hear her snoring softly. Rather than wake her up, he went on to his own room and climbed into bed. Lying on his back with his hands folded behind his head, Tom stared at the ceiling in the dim glow of the bedside lamp. He drifted off to sleep.

Sometime later that night Tom awoke to the feeling of a familiar form snuggling up next to him. Addy had awakened and found herself alone. Feeling vulnerable and scared, she did as she had done so many times before as a young girl, she went to Tom's room and climbed into bed with her brother. For maybe the thousandth time, Tom realized that Addy was no longer the scrawny little girl who was all knees and elbows and wild strawberry blonde hair.

Addy had grown into a sturdy but infinitely soft curvy young woman. The hair was still wild and untamable, but his sister was not a little girl any longer. This girl, this woman... made his heart beat faster just thinking about her. He loved to hear her voice, her laughter, even her chiding teasing or angry voice. More so, he loved to see her smile. When she looked at him and he saw those dazzling blue eye he could think of little else. Tom loved his sister more than life itself. He knew it was wrong though... It wasn't natural, it wasn't right to love your sister in ways like that. Only... Tom knew, in his heart of hearts, he knew that Addy loved him the same way... and that hurt too much to think about. With guilt in his mind and joy in his heart, Tom wrapped his arms around Addy and held her tight as they both drifted back off to sleep.

Tom awoke again later that morning before his alarm went off. He carefully reached over and turned it off before it started making racket. Realizing that he had to get up and get ready for work, he carefully picked up Addy and carried her to her room and gently put her in her own bed. Pulling the blankets up and tucking her in even as she roused sleepily.

"Don't go Tommy... Stay with me." She half whined with a pouting face.

"I have to go to work Addy... Momma and Pa will be here, you won't be alone." He told her softly as he stroked the hair on her head.

"You will come back though, right?" She asked hesitantly.

"Of course, I will baby... I'll be back before you know it. Maybe you and momma can make some cookies today?" Tom reassured her teasingly.

"That might be fun..." Addy said sleepily as she yawned and then smiled, her eyes drifting closed again.

Tom stood up and left her room to go down the hall to the bathroom. After returning to his room to dress for work, he made his way downstairs and to the kitchen. Teresa was sitting at the table and there was already a plate of eggs and bacon with some of last night's leftover biscuits on the table for Tom. Richard's seat at the table was empty and there was a half empty cup of coffee and a dirty plate. Apparently, Richard had already eaten and gone out to start his day. Teresa sipped her coffee as Tom sat and started eating.

"That boy... the one that..." Teresa began, but choked on her words, bile rising in her throat.

"Is he really bragging about what he... what he did to my baby?" Teresa finally spat out the question.

Tom paused as he was spreading apple butter on a biscuit, his knuckles turning white as he held the knife. Tom's eyes never left the biscuit, he carefully set it back on his plate and with slow deliberation placed the knife on the table beside his plate. He took a long deep breath and then swallowed.

"That's what I heard from some guys I spoke with." Tom said in an even tone that belied how tense he truly was.

Tom looked up to see Teresa's eyes filling with tears as she stared into her coffee cup. Her hands were shaking so she set her coffee cup down on the table and folded her hands in her lap. Tom wiped his mouth with his napkin, no longer having an appetite.

"Tom..." Teresa began in almost a whisper, her voice shaky but surprisingly stern.

"Be careful... whatever you do. Addy can't lose you." She added in the same voice.

Tom looked up to see a new coldness in her eyes, a knowing understanding that didn't have to be spoken of. She knew that Tom had already made up his mind. She knew he wasn't going to wait on the law to fumble around and make a mockery of what happened to his sweet Addy. Looking into her eyes, Tom simply nodded then rose from the table. Slipping on his jacket at the back door, Teresa brought him a paper bag with his lunch in it. She gripped his shoulder briefly and then turned to go back into the kitchen. Tom left the house.

As he sat in his old pickup letting the engine warm for a minute or so, Tom thought of how or where he might find Delbert today. Perhaps after school let out. Delbert being a senior this year, the same as Addy. Delbert was 20 years old though, apparently, he had been held back or had failed a grade or two in the past. Being older might have something to do with his being so much of a bully, he had always looked down on everyone else in his grade. Thought he was better than everyone because his folks had money and he was spoiled. The best clothes, the best shoes, he even had a car at sixteen years old. His prized possession, a black 1978 Camaro. Tom's face transitioned from a grimace to a knowing smile. That's how he would find Delbert, find his car.